Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Theglavwen posted:

Nobody gives away blooded smithing tips because nobody actually has any idea how they do it, they either 'just feel it' or slip into some fugue state or something. For generations smiths have been embarrassed to admit that they have no idea how the perform the elite work that elevates them culturally above their peers, and so now they just hide behind it being a big secret.

I don't think that's quite right? We know a lot of it has to be passed down personally and it's been forgotten or twisted over the years. Even the secrets are weak compared to what we know (and can't teach - yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
2. CCCC II

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I think we have a deeper understanding of what the actual process of blooding entails than pretty much anyone outside of the great cities, but I think that the nature of Blooded men means that anything they personally put effort into becomes Blooded to a greater or lesser degree.

I also think that as we continue our experiments with smithing we'll find that we're able to tease certain qualities out of metals that they don't actually possess because we're changing them on a subatomic level. It's why I think that our best bow will be made of stuff that you wouldn't traditionally think of a bowmaking materials. Imbuing Blooded Bronze with the quality of strength and flexibility, and making a bowstring out of thread woven from diamonds.

Changing things that way is probably how Fare got his legions, by changing people. It's quite possibly the sin that drove that Angel we found underground to attack the Mountain in a rage.

To a lesser degree our very nature changes Kavodel and the land and people around us. We make them more happy, peaceable, and prosperous because we want to build a community of happy, prosperous people. Literally changing the land around us to be more bountiful in all manner of ways. It might also be why people here are "discovering that they were more blooded than they thought" because we're imbuing them with our essence which is increasing their bloodedness.

That's possibly one of the big reasons that Ish is around and careful to warn us about tampering with peoples' minds and bodies. One of the big, big original commandments was "You shall not change them". And the danger that we might start doing that (consciously or unconsciously) is part of what the Melachim are worried about and why they don't want to leave us stomping around on a fragile Earth. But the Melachim who would disappear us behind the curtain are held back because we're in this weird interstitial place where Zepa made his claim entirely separately from the other great cities. Zepa jealously guarded his domain ("not even the strap of a sandal or a tuft of grass") and not only were we adopted by his direct descendant, but we put our name on his monument and declared ourselves one of his people.

tl;dr: We can probably make materials take on qualities that they wouldn't normally have and that all ties into the conflict between the big powers and why Ish keeps a close watch on us.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Votes counted up till Zeroisanumber. Please double check your own votes to make sure I didn't miss anything, especially for those of you who voted without specifying which question you were voting for.

Vote count

quote:

ClothHat
the_steve
John Lee
occluded
You guys haven't voted for Question 1 - What does Enkidel do during the timeskip.

quote:

Boonoo
Mr. Prokosch
Tagichatn
vorebane
TacoNight
A Terrible Person
Tsyni
Dog Kisser
Z the IVth
JustaDamnFool
You guys haven't voted for Question 2 - Hammertime

quote:

HiHo ChiRho
Blasphemaster
Mexican Deathgasm
Dog Kisser
ClothHat
the_steve
John Lee
occluded
ChaseSP
You guys haven't voted for Question 3 - Kavodelian infrastructure week.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

the_steve posted:

1. EEFGH
3. Zb, R

Zb - Bolster Kavodel's defenses against unorthodox attacks. Think of any sneaky ways demons might try to circumvent our defenses, and build defenses around those, instead of against traditional siege tactics.

Quoting since I was accused of not voting for these

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

the_steve posted:

Quoting since I was accused of not voting for these

Lol sorry, must have skipped your post. Updated the count, thanks for pointing it out!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
1. A A B B D

2. K K K K K K

3. D D

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Votes counted up till Zeroisanumber. Please double check your own votes to make sure I didn't miss anything, especially for those of you who voted without specifying which question you were voting for.

Vote count

You guys haven't voted for Question 1 - What does Enkidel do during the timeskip.

For question 2, I voted for W twice - ABCCWW. It’s counted only once in the spreadsheet.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
1.DDGGH
2.CCCCCC
3.BLO

Also gently caress the ZMM I won't be voting based on their opinions of Enkidel any longer until something comes to a head.

THIS_IS_FINE fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 16, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

Also gently caress the ZMM I won't be voting based on their opinions of Enkidel any longer until something comes to a head.

"Remember when all the blooded families in Zepath picked up and left, leaving us poorer in the one resource that matters most, because Enkidels ego was too large?" we'll reminisce from Fare's Fleshcart.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

3. Changing from B Ic Ic to BJJ

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
My 2 votes: CCCMMM

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

2. CCEEEW

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Question:
How workable is it to mass produce the bb to aid dor/acco but only as a loan for this jubilee?

Where would these four blooded men for the art school rank in fighting ability?

Do they believe the stuff they've been hearing? Demonic armies/miracles from el on the battlefield?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

QUESTION 2 - HHHHHH

QUESTION 3 - DON'T CARE ABOUT KAVODEL SUCK IT

edit: Added one H

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 16, 2020

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

QUESTION 2 - HHHHH

QUESTION 3 - DON'T CARE ABOUT KAVODEL SUCK IT

Six points for question two, fellow eagle arrow voter.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

TheCog posted:

"Remember when all the blooded families in Zepath picked up and left, leaving us poorer in the one resource that matters most, because Enkidels ego was too large?" we'll reminisce from Fare's Fleshcart.

They are way too proud of their heritage and all that poo poo to just pack up and leave because Enkidel pissed them off, they'd try a coup first and maybe after we chucked three or four of them in Lake Acco the defeated remnants would admit they're beat and some would submit while any non-laked hardliners pack up and leave but not before then.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
For a lark I decided to do some terrible math and see how big Paradise Lost actually is.
To do this, I sorted the thread to only show posts made by diogines.
Then I copy pasted the first page into OpenOffice, forum-tables, avatars and all, and did a word-count.

Then i repeated the process two more times, in the "middle" of Diogines 511 pages of thread-posts and at the "end". It averaged to about 24 written pages per Forum Page, or very very roughly 10.000 words.

That is, a total of five million one hundred and ten thousand words, or 11355 pages.
My paperback version of Sir Terry Pratchetts "Hogfather" (picked at random from my book-case) is 445 pages long. Meaning Paradise Lost would equal something like 25½ of them. Now, I know a lot of Diog posts are quoting the previous update or a voter to reply to our endless questions, and I didn't purge the forum-fluff, so let's remove like 33% of the total to arrive at conservative estimate of 15 Hogfathers or about a third to half of the Discworld series - in what, six years time?

Again these numbers are spectacularly poorly researched, but I wanted a rough estimate.
Once more, let me reiterate how incredible this journey has been and how grateful I am to Diogines for doing what he does.

My only question is, where is his rightly earned knighthood?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
2.BBDDDD

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

For a lark I decided to do some terrible math and see how big Paradise Lost actually is.
To do this, I sorted the thread to only show posts made by diogines.
Then I copy pasted the first page into OpenOffice, forum-tables, avatars and all, and did a word-count.

Then i repeated the process two more times, in the "middle" of Diogines 511 pages of thread-posts and at the "end". It averaged to about 24 written pages per Forum Page, or very very roughly 10.000 words.

That is, a total of five million one hundred and ten thousand words, or 11355 pages.
My paperback version of Sir Terry Pratchetts "Hogfather" (picked at random from my book-case) is 445 pages long. Meaning Paradise Lost would equal something like 25½ of them. Now, I know a lot of Diog posts are quoting the previous update or a voter to reply to our endless questions, and I didn't purge the forum-fluff, so let's remove like 33% of the total to arrive at conservative estimate of 15 Hogfathers or about a third to half of the Discworld series - in what, six years time?

Again these numbers are spectacularly poorly researched, but I wanted a rough estimate.
Once more, let me reiterate how incredible this journey has been and how grateful I am to Diogines for doing what he does.

My only question is, where is his rightly earned knighthood?

I ran the math on the SAarchiver, with a few possible errors, it looks like diog has about 5110373 words written total.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Crazycryodude posted:

They are way too proud of their heritage and all that poo poo to just pack up and leave because Enkidel pissed them off, they'd try a coup first and maybe after we chucked three or four of them in Lake Acco the defeated remnants would admit they're beat and some would submit while any non-laked hardliners pack up and leave but not before then.

I'm honestly not sure what would break first.

They have a responsibility to defend Zepath, so they can't leave.

They have a responsibility to honor their king, so they can't defy either Tudiya now, or Enkidel in the future.

BUT there's the "challenge the king to combat and become the king", so that seems the main outlet. Except they remember us kicking Samson's rear end a while back, and we only got stronger. So they probably won't challenge us to open combat.

That kicks open the "let's murder enkidel plan".

I'm not sure whether "leave betray our home city, it has become a shithole" or "gently caress honour, let's attempt to murder our king" becomes more acceptable to them.

And there may be other options I haven't thought of.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

They would never even remotely consider trying to murder Enkidel in a non-honorable way. Their shithead grandnephews who did the Asawheel Murders might, though. If there's any lesson to be taken from Karnak and Gerbil the Bad Nephew it's you can never trust a nephew.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

TheCog posted:

I ran the math on the SAarchiver, with a few possible errors, it looks like diog has about 5110373 words written total.

That is terrifying close to my bad math estimate. I guess statistics work!

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazycryodude posted:

They would never even remotely consider trying to murder Enkidel in a non-honorable way. Their shithead grandnephews who did the Asawheel Murders might, though. If there's any lesson to be taken from Karnak and Gerbil the Bad Nephew it's you can never trust a nephew.

What even was Gertrude's original name? I genuinely cannot remember by this point. In any event, we should eat Generalisimo.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Catpetter1981 posted:

What even was Gertrude's original name? I genuinely cannot remember by this point. In any event, we should eat Generalisimo.

Ganondorf?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ghosain is not a bad nephew. You can have differing opinions and he doesn't have to like us if he doesn't want to.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Look, I didn't want to vote for these big-issue things! I'd have to consider how other people feel, and that'd mean I'd be implicitly involved in thread politics, and that's neither something I'm good at nor something I'm interested in.

...Also I thought since smithing got its own post that it'd be clear that that's what my vote was for, which is obviously not the case upon thinking about it for even a couple seconds, for which I offer my apologies.

1. DGGEE

3. A, Ib

(I'm actually way into the Art Collegium, but I think that building it really quickly would actually be a detriment - this society's vulnerable to culture shock, after all. And as a bonus, people will get hyped up while waiting for it to be completed, and art's something you can get started on early!)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting is not closed, but we plan to either tomorrow or Thursday close voting on #4, then assemble the "vote up" and "vote down" list of miscellaneous actions. So if you have been putting off voting and want to get some other actions in now is the time!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

That is terrifying close to my bad math estimate. I guess statistics work!

I added some logic to exclude posts diog had quoted, and the number i got was 3705483 (there's probably at least a few html tags that slipped in there though)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
2. SS TT WW

I never voted for Smith time allocation. I'd like to focus on our personal equipment. Upgrade our arrows so we have enough BB arrows to last a full battle, a pile of Good Arrows for hard targets, and our Eagle Arrow for a real demon or to assassinate a commander. Then we can make armor that protects our rear end from javelins.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Pay a small sum to a few trusted merchants/messengers to get an accurate status on Tadmor and King Joram
Check in with Uriah during downtime to see if he enjoys having a hobby/new skill (Blooded Treeman). Ask if anything he learned applies to Zepathan trees or just the Karnak-type
Party with the new Blooded dudes, see what their initial impressions of Kavodel are/what they hope to accomplish
Spend some time in Rimmath, visit around and just see how things are going (not sure how often we do this)

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
3. GG

Spend some time learning the proper names for different kinds of demons so that we can address our arrows to the correct recipients.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

1. EEEEE
2. EEEEEE
3. EE

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

1. DDDDD

2. LLLLL

3. BJJ but do a contract with Dor to pay for the goods in 8 years time :wink:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I'd be ok with sending a buttload of High silver equipment to our Certified Cool Neighbors, but Blooded Bronze is a bit much. Tudiya might flip over it though. Not something I vote in favor of either way but how about we allow those cities to comission equipment from our smiths who aren't making BBronze?

In any case, it's going to be interesting when High Silver starts rusting and a cottage plant oil industry pops up to address the problem.

See if we can make nails that work with stone. Spirals maybe?

Kick rear end stone fortifications fastened together with High Silver Spirals and sheathed in Blooded Bronze would be a hell of a surprise for the fishes.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

High silver isn't cleared for sale outside of Zepath and Kavodel. If anyone tries to send it to Acco or Dor they'll end up in front of an angry Tudiya real fast.

Blooded bronze we can export, if we're willing to ignore the insane political blowback it will entail. If Tudiya approves steel on the basis of "we can't arm everyone in the city with blooded bronze" and Enkidel immediately turns around and arms a foreign city with it that undercuts the entire line of logic that created heresy dad. Arming Dor or Acco definitely risks undermining Tudiya's position.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 17, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, I voted to send arms to Dor, and even I acknowledge that every scrap we send has to be made of bronze.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

4. Spend more time appreciating Spirals. Searching for new applications for spirals. When we get drunk and people want epic stories proselytize about spirals instead. Keep a collection of spirals. Hold a lecture at the new academy on the merits of spirals. If spirals can be used to move water then what else can we use them to move?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm not looking forward to the "Tudiya, Enkidel tricked you to weaken Zepath with his demon metal while giving priceless weapons to foreigners that you already don't love, clearly you should ignore all his other ideas because he doesn't care about his own people!" council meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

He knows Zepath and Kavodel won't be attacked, we know Zepath and Kavodel won't be attacked, if it becomes a major issue we can just have a private conversation where we cut the bullshit, acknowledge that we both know Zepath and Kavodel won't be attacked even if we can't publicly say that to the ZMM, and explain that we gave all that poo poo to Dor because they will be attacked and this is the best way to produce a giant mountain of demon corpses which we're all in favor of. Kavodel and Zepath will be fully tooled up by next Jubilee when we're actually at risk, even go as far as to explicitly commit to making sure of that if he wants, he might not be happy but I'm pretty confident we can make him see the strategic calculus and not blow a gasket.