Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

More important that Jessica is spot-on imo

The most important thing is the tooth.

The tooth

Remember!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Doc Hawkins posted:

watch his Agincourt movie

I have. Great speech. That is the Paul Atreides side. I mean Muad'dib, the Fremen, the Lisan al Gaib, that's the one I'm not sure about

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

exmachina posted:

I have. Great speech. That is the Paul Atreides side. I mean Muad'dib, the Fremen, the Lisan al Gaib, that's the one I'm not sure about

tbh I'm not sure if I was convinced that Paul Atreides pulled off Mua'dib in the book

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shoehead posted:

The most important thing is the tooth.

The tooth

Remember!

you can't handle the tooth!

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Doc Hawkins posted:

tbh I'm not sure if I was convinced that Paul Atreides pulled off Mua'dib in the book

That's true. Leto II should play the role.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
What is the official pronunciation of the Honored Matres? Side note as a child I though eunuch was different from "unic". Since playing Total War Rome taught me how to say Punic and well wouldnt unic make more sense?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Google tells me eunuch comes from the Greek for "bed keeper" so i guess the spelling reflects that.

Also, how is sardaukar pronounced? And Harkonnen.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Gaj posted:

What is the official pronunciation of the Honored Matres? Side note as a child I though eunuch was different from "unic". Since playing Total War Rome taught me how to say Punic and well wouldnt unic make more sense?

Mah-trey is how I pronounced it but I am probably wrong. It is a bit of a clumsy name tho, Frank obviously wanted to show an etymological slide from "Reverend mother"

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Tree Bucket posted:

Google tells me eunuch comes from the Greek for "bed keeper" so i guess the spelling reflects that.

Also, how is sardaukar pronounced? And Harkonnen.

Didn't the Turkish dude speak to Sardaukar upthread? Also Harkonnen is meant to be russian right?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This cinematic version will also have the definitive pronunciations. Herbert did us wrong by not having a pronunciation key.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
sar-dow-karr
harr-koh-nen
a-tray-deez-nutz

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Eau de MacGowan posted:

sar-dow-karr
harr-koh-nen
a-tray-deez-nutz

Yeah but where is the emphasis? Is is HARR-koh-nen or harr-KOH-nen. Same with Sardaukar.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Harkonnen is Finnish slang for butthole

not really kakkonen apparently is

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
har cone NEN

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

cheney

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

exmachina posted:

Yeah but where is the emphasis? Is is HARR-koh-nen or harr-KOH-nen. Same with Sardaukar.

HARR-kon-nen - that’s how they would say it in Finland, which is where this type of name would fit most. Imagine the YouTube hydraulic press guy saying it and you’re there.

sar-duh-KAR - some middle eastern influences there

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 22, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

exmachina posted:

Didn't the Turkish dude speak to Sardaukar upthread? Also Harkonnen is meant to be russian right?

It was Fedaykin but I will take a shot at the word Sardaukar as well.

This is all theory-crafting so feel free to dig up the internet or books to disprove me. That being said, I believe the word Sardaukar comes or has its roots in the Farsi word "Sardar" (also used in Turkic languages bordering Iran including Mughal India), meaning "the head of the soldiers" or "the commander". Ser being the word for "head / lead", it feels close to what Sardaukar is.

The English pronunciation of Sardar is usually Saerdar so it feels we are getting warmer.

Another one might be "Serdengecti", which has a close literal translation as "one who gave up on their head (life)" as in Ser (head) den (the conjunction meaning "from") gecti (passed/gave). A more contextual one would be "someone giving up their life [for victory]". Serdengecti is a branch of akinci cavalary that was a part of Ottoman army that raided enemy territory usually ahead of the main army or regularly to wreak havoc during an invasion. They were the forlorn hope units, similar to the Doppelsöldner of Landsknecht, volunteered to fight in the frontlines and paid double.

Serdengecti had a honored place in the akinci armies, usually charging into enemy formations with only a kilic (a Turkish cavalry saber) while dressed as MEGASWAGLORDS (see below) to scare their enemies (usually clad in furs of Anatolian lynx/spotted lions or feathers, possibly a relic from their animistic/shamanistic origins since they are usually recruited from isolated Turcoman tribes in Anatolia kept their original Turkic religions in some shape or form).

I imagine Frank having extensive knowledge on these matters and probably joined multiple layers of history and etymology behind a single word which is, as always, :awesome: as gently caress.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 17, 2020

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If Harkonnen is Russian, it would be emphasis on second syllable, right? I can't ever not hear the callouts from Emperor: Battle for Dune, the 3D RTS. Not sure why. But, as a result, FEH-da-kin, Sar-doo-CAR

Matre I always read as MAY-Tr(uh) where you don't voice the 'uh' but it just comes out as a result of making a 'Tr', kind of like the 'Tr' in the French 'Triste'. I can't actually form it properly with my mouth, so it's super weird that I vividly only read it that way?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Stop it with saying Harkonnen is Russian! I’m half Russian so I half know that it isn’t.
There is no case to be made for this word to be even remotely connected to Russian language. None. It does look very much in line with Finnish language though.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Stop it with saying Harkonnen is Russian! I’m half Russian so I half know that it isn’t.
There is no case to be made for this word to be even remotely connected to Russian language. None. It does look very much in line with Finnish language though.

I never connected it to Harkonnen before, but Härkönen is an existing Finnish surname. Apparently a dude with that name won gold with the javelin in the LA Olympics in '84.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Decorus posted:

I never connected it to Harkonnen before, but Härkönen is an existing Finnish surname. Apparently a dude with that name won gold with the javelin in the LA Olympics in '84.

I remember that! He won by default after all his competitors suffered a series of random unfortunate accidents.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
His name IS Vladimir, comrade

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Actually it's kinda funny I can't wait to see some think pieces saying that Vladimir Harkonnen is a metaphor for Vladimir Putin :allears:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

His name IS Vladimir, comrade

Yeah and that’s certainly the red scare commie russian aspect that @fatherofduneauthor aimed to achieve.

The surname isn’t.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

What I mean to say - what if Frank Herbert was wrong some times?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Yeah and that’s certainly the red scare commie russian aspect that @fatherofduneauthor aimed to achieve.

The surname isn’t.

Yeah I agree 100% on the name, I too carry the taint of russkie blood lol

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Lol, I have never made the Vladimir = Red scare connection until now, Jesus.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Barron Harkonnen lowered his suspensors into the squat position. “Do svidanya, Diuk Leto...”

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Evil Russians and heroic Arabic folks? What kind of upside-down world is Mr Herbert creating here!!?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Feydor Harkonnen, the martial combat arena champion

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

threelemmings posted:

Or you've outed yourself as reading the sequels when skynet and hedonist robot clone the gang. I know they brought back paul and the baron I'm sure Chani was there too.
Even though I've still only read the first book I just had to read up on his attempt at wrapping up the original series and lmao of course his great and super inventive idea was that it was Lord Darkcyberus Deathfucktron all along

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

loving owns

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Barron Harkonnen lowered his suspensors into the squat position. “Do svidanya, Diuk Leto...”

Dearest nephew Fyodor, I am sending you some space rubles enclosed within this letter. Try not to spend it all on gay concubines in St. Petersburg. I am still struggling with the сифилис the Baba Yaga Elena gave me. Your loving Uncle Volodya.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Galewolf posted:

Dearest nephew Fyodor, I am sending you some space rubles enclosed within this letter. Try not to spend it all on gay concubines in St. Petersburg. I am still struggling with the сифилис the Baba Yaga Elena gave me. Your loving Uncle Volodya.

That’s a prime* empty quote right there

Giedi Prime

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is nothing Russian about the harkonens other than one name

I don’t think he was doing a red scare thing

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

euphronius posted:

:wrong:

From “dreamer of dune” by the famed @duneauthor

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How come Brian Herbert made the Butlerian Jihad a robot war when it was obviously a luddite smashing of thinking machines.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't remember anything particular from the original book (haven't read the sequels) but the movie felt like it? Anyhow it's hard not to feel a sort of sick kinship with any marauding orc like hordes with names like Ivan or Vladimir :shrug:

E yeah that quote was what I thought of earlier lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

:wrong:

From “dreamer of dune” by the famed @duneauthor

I give this source 0 credibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

euphronius posted:

I don't think it was supposed to be a full on red scare, like Red Dawn. However, I do think the Harkonens were supposed to vaguely suggest the soviet union in the same way Atredies were supposed to suggest Greek. Specifically brutal, heavy industry, and teeming faceless masses ruled by a decadent elite. At time of publication that sort of imagery was a staple of American anti-communist propaganda.