Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
From the Bootleg thread:

Lego would never produce it, but it’s a fun, colorful, unique little build (sadly, I assume it’s a ripped off MOC). I’m pretending the woman to the left doesn’t have a mic, but is in fact disgusted at her boyfriend visiting this establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Decided to take a run up to the mall and get it in person at the Lego store. Would be nice if it doesn’t get closed down due to Covid economy issues. The mall just opened back up a month or so ago.

Generally the store workers are great and will throw in an extra from time to time if you are nice. I always send in a nice survey too.

Got the set, the Yoda lightsaber and a Cat polybag.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
ugh I guess I missed the drat yoda saber somehow despite ordering almost immediately, oh well. After the site didn't update last night I had considered going to the mall but I had already put in my lego.com redemption code, thanks great new VIP system

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just got one of the little $5 boxes of random blocks Ideas Included. I love this!! Look at all these cute pieces!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Welp. Made a trip to the Lego store today. I am bad with money.

tomapot posted:

Decided to take a run up to the mall and get it in person at the Lego store. Would be nice if it doesn’t get closed down due to Covid economy issues. The mall just opened back up a month or so ago.

Generally the store workers are great and will throw in an extra from time to time if you are nice. I always send in a nice survey too.

Got the set, the Yoda lightsaber and a Cat polybag.

Mine was completely empty. It was bizarre. usually even on weekdays there are 15+ customers in there. I haven't been since before Covid. Hope they are doing allright.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I feel like the Cantina will be my last set for a while and I missed it, lol whoops.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sigher posted:

I feel like the Cantina will be my last set for a while and I missed it, lol whoops.

Do you have a local Lego store? Mine had a mountain of them, pre bagged behind the counter and plenty of GWP.

I just finished the landspeeder and if it's indicative of the overall build, this thing is going to be a doozy. it's a lot more complex than it looks. I thought it would go together in 15 minutes but it took me like 45-an hour just to build it. The techniques feel way more UCS than general SW. they know the audience they were shooting for with this set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The local Lego store near where I used to live would always give away a bunch of the GWP sets because they invariably had loads sitting around still (the perks of being an out of the way shop). So I’d buy a big set, and often walk out with the current GWP and a few of the previous ones too. It was such a friendly place, they’d often give them out even if you were slightly below the price threshold.

Compare that to the big Leicester Square store and they’re very firm about not giving away anything unless they absolutely have to, down to the penny. £69.99 isn’t good enough, it has to be £70 and over.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I went from "that cantina looks dope as hell, too bad it's overpriced due to the licensing and as such I'll never buy it" to hitting the place order button in about two hours

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My brain is broke and I keep reading GWP as "Goons With Platoons."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Do you have a local Lego store? Mine had a mountain of them, pre bagged behind the counter and plenty of GWP.

I do, I'll go check them out tomorrow; I really shouldn't be spending that much on a set right now, but I really do think it's going to be my last set for a long time (if ever again) so I want to go out with a bang.

Speaking of which, has anyone hit LEGO fatigue? My last set was the Razorcrest and I found myself not having that much fun building it as I used to. I really saw myself feeling it with the Batmobile. Maybe I'm getting out of LEGO. :smith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

garfield hentai posted:

I went from "that cantina looks dope as hell, too bad it's overpriced due to the licensing and as such I'll never buy it" to hitting the place order button in about two hours

Yeeeah same but it took a few days. But it’s definitely a powerful slow burn.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Chris Knight posted:

My brain is broke and I keep reading GWP as "Goons With Platoons."

Oh good, it's not just me then!

Re: Lego fatigue, I'm kinda there, but it's more that there's just not much coming out that I really want, except that bloody Nintendo which is still not back in stock.

There was a time not long ago that I bought every a pretty large fraction of the range, but not for a while now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

sigher posted:

I do, I'll go check them out tomorrow; I really shouldn't be spending that much on a set right now, but I really do think it's going to be my last set for a long time (if ever again) so I want to go out with a bang.

Speaking of which, has anyone hit LEGO fatigue? My last set was the Razorcrest and I found myself not having that much fun building it as I used to. I really saw myself feeling it with the Batmobile. Maybe I'm getting out of LEGO. :smith:

I feel ya... it’s easy to get overwhelmed and just feel like assembling stuff is a chore, especially with everything else going on. Right now I’m at a place where I really want to do more, but I don’t have a good spot for stuff which is a real bummer, and a thousand other responsibilities at this moment that I just haven’t been building much.

But hey, winter is right around the corner, so take a break, poke at some other stuff you enjoy, and I’m sure things will swing back around to where it’s fun and chill to snap stuff together and watch some tv. I think we’ve all kinda burnt out on that being stuck inside this year, so like anything else, it just needs a break :)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

sigher posted:

Yes.

The nature of my work is that sometimes I have nothing on for a couple months and can't justify big purchases and since my theme of choice is modulars and big showy sets obviously there's a lot I missed out on. The first couple passes (the bank was one I regret missing) were hard, but now I just keep an eye out for anything that's must have. Having other expensive hobbies like 40k doesn't help either.

I find the release schedule is very fast now so a lot passes me by. But that's fine. I've actually sold a lot of the more impulse buy stuff from years ago and now I'm focusing on just designing mocs digitally, and if I really love them I'll order the parts. An actual set is a once (or twice tops) a year event now when something like the saturn v or a particularly nice modular comes out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I find I enjoy buying Lego and looking at the box, but building the sets was losing its luster. I have a bunch of sets still in the boxes under my bed. Who knows if I'll ever build them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't say I'm fatigued, but there haven't been any new sets I've been interested in since at least the Spring. Maybe there'll be some this winter. Also I haven't been going shopping lately, for obvious reasons.

Carbohydrates posted:

I have significantly expanded my collection of purist custom Western minifigs to populate my saloon and any, uh, other buildings I may design.

I just saw this guy, I'm pretty sure he's relatively new. With a head swap he'd fit right in...
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=hs059#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

deoju posted:

I wouldn't say I'm fatigued, but there haven't been any new sets I've been interested in since at least the Spring. Maybe there'll be some this winter. Also I haven't been going shopping lately, for obvious reasons.

I just saw this guy, I'm pretty sure he's relatively new. With a head swap he'd fit right in...
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=hs059#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Freaky. I was just ordering parts and saw that guy in the store and ordered him. Literally 15 minutes ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not fatigued, but building new sets is less novel than it used to be. Now I'm like "lets get this done so I can put it in the display"

I am however concerned. I feel like I have gotten too deep into Lego sometimes. I've gotten full collector brain with the Star Wars poo poo, like I need to get everything they release from the original trilogy. Thank god I'm not into the Disney/EU/Prequels. I've become really bad about "well I have this so I naturally need this too". it's just too much money and space in my house. I feel like I need to not only slow down, but I need to eventually purge part of my collection so I can break this "one of everything" mindset. I haven't gotten to the point where I can bring myself to do it yet though. I'd like to get it down to one big, but tasteful shelf someday. At least I've calmed down to like 2-3 sets a year (usually 2 of them are 200+ though) and I stopped trying to rationalize buying the $700 Star Destroyer. No matter how cool it is.

Could be worse I guess. Most things are worthless right after you buy them. Lego holds it's value super well, even used, so I figure it's there if I have an emergency if I need it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
On the topic of old West figs, I combined all the left over torsos from my Deadwood cast into neighbouring Undeadwood's townsfolk.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Quote is not edit.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I've actually enjoyed my last two sets immensely - the Friends Central Park set and the Stormtrooper helmet bust. I built the Friends set with my partner and there were some great techniques in it, particularly in the wall behind the counter. The bust was a solo build for Father's Day, and again I was blown away by some of the techniques used, particularly around the face. Probably one of my favourite sets from a technical standpoint, after the Saturn V.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Dogen posted:

I think they're adding it later or something, I ordered it at the earliest possible moment and didn't get it, but yeah it's listed specifically on the cantina page as shipping out with the cantina for VIP orders.

edit: it's not listed anymore, did I really miss it? geez. It was listed as the promo on the cantina product page when I added to cart, but it didn't add to my cart.

I ordered one yesterday, the lightsaber was in my cart and was listed on my order confirmation page after I paid....then I got the "your order from LEGO" e-mail like two hours later and no lighsaber was listed. I e-mailed them about it but based on everything I've seen online I'm probably hosed. I can't remember them botching something like this before, but I could be wrong!

As far as fatigue, I don't really have it because I'm out of space to display sets so basically ever since the giant Millenium Falcon I've been buying sets and stashing them in my closet. One day I'll actually move into a place with enough room, ha.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Change thread title to LEGO Anonymous imo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Holidays are comin’

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Heh, that's cute.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

deoju posted:

Oh yeah, he owns. He's on my short list next time I'm ordering minifig parts. Also piñata boy for his sweet duds.

As far as LEGO fatigue, frankly I wish I could afford to have that lol. I buy... a few sets a year. Since I have limited display space, I let most smaller stuff go by, and since I have very limited funds (and spend most of my hobby money on my own MOCs), I only splurge once or twice a year for big sets. I received the Creator Expert Mustang as a gift at the beginning of the year, and I think the only other set I'm really after this year is the NES. Sometimes I take older sets apart just so I can build them again, and that's fun enough.

I also make full-on proper instructions for every MOC I design. Originally, that was just because I have a Rebrickable account and I put 'em up for other people. Lately though, I've really been enjoying using them when I get my pieces from Bricklink to pretend, or at least evoke the feeling, like I'm building a new set (that just happens to be of my own design). Might be silly, but it kinda satisfies that new set urge.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can kinda relate to the burnout? I've been going a bit ham with the purchasing this year and I try to mostly save building for when I have the itch, but on some level I worry I'm just doing it to have something to do? Iunno. It can be nice as just something to keep me busy while I watch something. It's just a nice process that's engaging, but doesn't take the same kind of energy some of my other hobbies do?

Speaking of buying, I bought that CADA 86 Toyota and it finally arrived. Didn't come with the original box, and I have to say Im kind of impressed how much they got into such a small shipping box.

I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to manage the build - something like 1200 pieces with no numbered bags. I struggle to find space on my desk for like, moderate size piece count steps.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to manage the build - something like 1200 pieces with no numbered bags. I struggle to find space on my desk for like, moderate size piece count steps.

get a bunch of tupperware and sort by size/type before you start

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Plinkey posted:

get a bunch of tupperware and sort by size/type before you start

That's actually been kinda how I tackle most sets - or at least, I have like, 3 containers I use to split the bags up into since with official lego there's some method to how the parts are divided among the stage bags.

I'm just going to need a fair few more tupperwares. and like, an extra table to put them on lol.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

That's actually been kinda how I tackle most sets - or at least, I have like, 3 containers I use to split the bags up into since with official lego there's some method to how the parts are divided among the stage bags.

I'm just going to need a fair few more tupperwares. and like, an extra table to put them on lol.

yeah i do the same thing, find all the pieces i need out of the tupperware for a few steps, then stack the tupperware and put them on another table or the floor until i have all of those steps done and added to whatever the big part being built is

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

heres an oddball question. Is there any sort of market for selling custom sets? Like, I added probably $40+ worth of parts to my TFA Falcon to make it look closer to the UCS one. Basically redesigned the set. But still bagged up the extra parts so the original set is still in there and I have the instructions and everything. But I was thinking about possibly selling it because it feel kind of redundant to my collection and I need to make space. Would that type of thing garner more, less, the same, or be unsellable on Ebay I wonder? Also it's more fragile than the official build which makes me weary of selling it. Worried it might partially come apart in shipping although it's decently sturdy. I'll probably just keep it, but I've been kicking around getting rid of it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Do people ship completed sets? I'd say probably it wouldn't HURT the resale if you include extra stuff but I doubt you'd get more than a regular price for the set depending on if you have the manual/box etc.

Also, my Cantina shipped yay

I don't ever really get building fatigue but I do hate having to pick what to store or give away. It's easy if I'm getting an updated version of a set I already have but like I don't have a great space for the razor crest and now I have the Cantina coming and I have no idea where that's going to go.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 17, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

heres an oddball question. Is there any sort of market for selling custom sets? Like, I added probably $40+ worth of parts to my TFA Falcon to make it look closer to the UCS one. Basically redesigned the set. But still bagged up the extra parts so the original set is still in there and I have the instructions and everything. But I was thinking about possibly selling it because it feel kind of redundant to my collection and I need to make space. Would that type of thing garner more, less, the same, or be unsellable on Ebay I wonder? Also it's more fragile than the official build which makes me weary of selling it. Worried it might partially come apart in shipping although it's decently sturdy. I'll probably just keep it, but I've been kicking around getting rid of it.
There is a market for custom sets, but it's a hard one to tap into. I'd say the market for modified official sets is even smaller still. Your better bet is likely to restore the set to its original condition.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

I am however concerned. I feel like I have gotten too deep into Lego sometimes. I've gotten full collector brain with the Star Wars poo poo, like I need to get everything they release from the original trilogy. Thank god I'm not into the Disney/EU/Prequels. I've become really bad about "well I have this so I naturally need this too". it's just too much money and space in my house. I feel like I need to not only slow down, but I need to eventually purge part of my collection so I can break this "one of everything" mindset. I haven't gotten to the point where I can bring myself to do it yet though. I'd like to get it down to one big, but tasteful shelf someday. At least I've calmed down to like 2-3 sets a year (usually 2 of them are 200+ though) and I stopped trying to rationalize buying the $700 Star Destroyer. No matter how cool it is.

I'm the same way about the Star Wars stuff; it's crazy. My LEGO is basically 90% Star Wars stuff and I'm in the process of selling off some of it but basically purging myself of almost all of the non-Star Wars stuff. I really want the Cantina, but I wouldn't mind having an AT-AT too but I know I need to stop. God drat it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sigher posted:

I'm the same way about the Star Wars stuff; it's crazy. My LEGO is basically 90% Star Wars stuff and I'm in the process of selling off some of it but basically purging myself of almost all of the non-Star Wars stuff. I really want the Cantina, but I wouldn't mind having an AT-AT too but I know I need to stop. God drat it.

I just got the atat today and the box is bigger than I thought it would be, I also have no idea where I'm going to put it without buying some more shelves

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Is the new AT-AT significantly different from the older versions? I have 75054.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tomapot posted:

Is the new AT-AT significantly different from the older versions? I have 75054.

No. But it is notably better looking in the way it's shaped and has better play features. I decided to skip it since I also have 75054. If you really wanted to you could probably make the old one look as good or better with $5 worth of spare parts.

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.

Blue Moonlight posted:

From the Bootleg thread:

Lego would never produce it, but it’s a fun, colorful, unique little build (sadly, I assume it’s a ripped off MOC). I’m pretending the woman to the left doesn’t have a mic, but is in fact disgusted at her boyfriend visiting this establishment.

Where is this bootleg thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

NickThorn posted:

Where is this bootleg thread?

It’s bootleg everything, not just bootleg Lego.