Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UK politics 2020:

Oh dear me posted:

Resign yourself to feeding rodents.

e: 1984 was the miners' strike, Gerry Adams got shot, and a hotel in Brighton exploded, replacing O-levels with GCSEs.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I've been thinking alot recently about the effects of living in a ever declining country has on young people. I've noticed just how little push back my younger co-workers have towards things like work place bullying, overflowing workloads, non-perment contracts, no pay raises- which is understandable (particularly if you've never had any other experience), but even their ambitions and hopes seem to decrease is horizon and scope. I don't mean all they care about is going out etc, they just seem to accept fundemental things like 'I won't ever own a home or live outside a 6 person flat share' much more readily then people 10 years older.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The squirrels will absolutely get to your feeder, no matter what you do to stop them. No. Matter. What. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

No wonder Jo hates them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JoylessJester posted:

I've been thinking alot recently about the effects of living in a ever declining country has on young people. I've noticed just how little push back my younger co-workers have towards things like work place bullying, overflowing workloads, non-perment contracts, no pay raises- which is understandable (particularly if you've never had any other experience), but even their ambitions and hopes seem to decrease is horizon and scope. I don't mean all they care about is going out etc, they just seem to accept fundemental things like 'I won't ever own a home or live outside a 6 person flat share' much more readily then people 10 years older.

Can't hardly blame em, their future is loving bleak

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sassassin posted:

I bought a bird feeder and have questions:

1) put in the sun or shade?
2) out in the open or under/in a tree?

Propped it on a fence post for now and the local tits are going mad for it.

Why are you eating bird seed

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Put it in the middle of the garden and grease the pole, squirrels won't get to it then. They can jump pretty high, but not quite freestanding bird feeder high.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1306349485849804803?s=19

He literally cucked you Harry. How do you even fight this level of spinelessness?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We've got to save Christmas otherwise the Presbyterians win and they'll ban camels for encouraging deviant behaviour such as line dancing, I explain in an extremely coherent article. 🐫

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Oh dear me posted:

Rats will feast on the seeds the birds drop, and if the squirrels cannot get in - a big if - they will for example roll the feeder along the ground so that seeds fall out. Resign yourself to feeding rodents.

If you get a squirrel problem I know a lady with the skills needed to get rid of them and nothing else to do.

Related: best bird box location? We've had one up for years and never had so much as a look from a bird. Are they just poo poo in back gardens, or are we putting it in a crap place?

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Gonzo McFee posted:

He literally cucked you Harry. How do you even fight this level of spinelessness?

I actually can't handle this "saving Christmas" chat.
Everything is so meaningless, the future is honestly looking bleak as gently caress. The general apathy of everyone combined with the head spinning blatancy of the Tories disdain for human life is really getting me down guys.

I'm anxiously refreshing my email to see if I got a job I interviewed for this week. It has been quite a day and it's only the afternoon.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JoylessJester posted:

I've been thinking alot recently about the effects of living in a ever declining country has on young people.

I guess us older goons (30's and upwards) grew up in an environment where it was still assumed that life was gradually going to grow easier and more prosperous in the future? So we expected to be able to own a house, have job security etc.

If you've grown up in our current society, you perhaps accept a lovely life because that expectation of better things has evaporated away?

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

he of all people should know that with Boris there's always a second hump

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pistol_Pete posted:

I guess us older goons (30's and upwards) grew up in an environment where it was still assumed that life was gradually going to grow easier and more prosperous in the future? So we expected to be able to own a house, have job security etc.

If you've grown up in our current society, you perhaps accept a lovely life because that expectation of better things has evaporated away?

I think that's about right, yeah. We got to live through the End of History, they're going to have to live through the End of Humanity

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

The squirrels will absolutely get to your feeder, no matter what you do to stop them. No. Matter. What. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

No wonder Jo hates them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

If you get a squirrel problem I know a lady with the skills needed to get rid of them and nothing else to do.

Related: best bird box location? We've had one up for years and never had so much as a look from a bird. Are they just poo poo in back gardens, or are we putting it in a crap place?

Near a tree, as high as possible, out of direct sunlight. If there's local cats or dogs they'll generally give it a swerve no matter how perfect the location, because they have that much sense at least.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

And yet we still managed to gently caress up massively in terms of GDP loss.

The problem is that protecting the economy, in this situation, necessarily requires protecting poor and vulnerable people, and when push comes to shove tories care more about killing the poor than making money.

It's like poor people took the economy hostage and the tories thought "oh well" and shot both of them in the head.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Mail got told to gently caress off with their brigading by someone with a modicum of sense at Ofcom so now they’ve readjusted their sights and are after a black comedian for making a sarcastic comment on a satirical news programme headlined by Frankie Boyle.

It’s so blatant it warps into being comedy itself.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/NoContextPMQ/status/1306363008164278272

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pistol_Pete posted:

40, this idea has never occurred to me during my life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The problem is that protecting the economy, in this situation, necessarily requires protecting poor and vulnerable people, and when push comes to shove tories care more about killing the poor than making money.

It's like poor people took the economy hostage and the tories thought "oh well" and shot both of them in the head.
:hai: In any situation really, thus austerity also being a terrible idea.

Beginning to think they can't be trusted with the economy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Near a tree, as high as possible, out of direct sunlight. If there's local cats or dogs they'll generally give it a swerve no matter how perfect the location, because they have that much sense at least.

Thanks, that would explain the lack of success, we don't have a spot that meets those criteria sadly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

You are right, the 90s were an optimistic time.
You had shows like Beyond 2000 showing how we were going to be all eco friendly living in self powered floating sea bubbles and rocket cars.
The Singularity was just around the corner.
The internet was going to given information and knowledge to the masses. And be cyber!
AI was going to help solve a lot of things.

One thing that sticks in my mind was an episode of Seaquest DSV, where the kid on it says 'We will be the generation to go into space, meet aliens, solve things for mankind like hunger and poverty'.
I may be misremembering it, but as a teenager back then it totally inspired me.

gently caress where did we go wrong.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

happyhippy posted:

You are right, the 90s were an optimistic time.

For the very young maybe, but I don't know, it felt like a time of continuing defeat to me. The Tories were in power for most of them, by the time we were confident Labour would win it was clear that they'd be poo poo, the unions and local authorities had been beaten, the criminal justice act made protest even more toothless, people were obsessed with their house values, global warming was known about and the only action on it was the pathetic Kyoto protocol, etc. The 90s were poo poo, like the decades they paved the way for.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

happyhippy posted:

gently caress where did we go wrong.

Global capitalism won

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
But the year two thousand

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Oh dear me posted:

For the very young maybe, but I don't know, it felt like a time of continuing defeat to me. The Tories were in power for most of them, by the time we were confident Labour would win it was clear that they'd be poo poo, the unions and local authorities had been beaten, the criminal justice act made protest even more toothless, people were obsessed with their house values, global warming was known about and the only action on it was the pathetic Kyoto protocol, etc. The 90s were poo poo, like the decades they paved the way for.

Maybe its being in NI when we stopped killing the poo poo out of each other that has the rose tints on for the 90s.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The "things can only get better" arc, as tempting as it is, is strongly tied to priviledge though. Especially when it folds into "and it just happens naturally without me having to do anything particularly".

Anyone born after the second world war has been living in a bubble of increasing peace... as long as you lived in one of the stable european countries that wasn't literally getting invaded.

Economic prosperity has been on the up and up... as long as you weren't one of the people being shafted by capitalism and the growth of the rentier economy

Rights for minorities have been tending towards the positive frictionlessly... as long as you weren't one of the people who actively had to fight for those rights and drag governments kicking and screaming into doing the right thing.

Which is why it tends to hang around in the minds of the well-off, cis hetero white middle class males, fubpee twitter, and so on as a misty eyed "why can't it just be how it was". Well, because you've been freewheeling down the hill of history and not noticing the gradient change. Didn't notice when it was getting better more slowly, didn't notice it bottom out, didn't notice it getting worse. Your successive generations, though, have been shouting ever louder because their experience has been very different.

The more distant from actual struggle, the mistier the eyes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Maybe its being in NI when we stopped killing the poo poo out of each other that has the rose tints on for the 90s.
Yeah I was going to say, peace in NI was a massive deal and a Good Thing.

There's a tendency to oversimplify it as "Bill Clinton made the IRA and the UVF shake hands and the Irish border was never an issue again" in hindsight, but like even now it can be seen in the form of Joe Biden warning the UK not to gently caress it all up again.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

What exactly is he planning because he's said anything resembling a lockdown is out of the question. Unless he's just going to locally lockdown everywhere and just not call it a lockdown. That'd still be too clever. What useless plan is he going to come up with. It'll need to be something cruel but also does nothing to slow the spread.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Children will be made to live at school so they can't spread the disease to their worker parents.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

What exactly is he planning because he's said anything resembling a lockdown is out of the question. Unless he's just going to locally lockdown everywhere and just not call it a lockdown. That'd still be too clever. What useless plan is he going to come up with. It'll need to be something cruel but also does nothing to slow the spread.

£50 a week tax for a personal covid risk assessment from Atos, result of which allows people out of the house for non-essential purposes (i.e. everything that's not work). This way the poors will know their place

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

I can't believe I actually called it on Boris' Christmas.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

The 90s were poo poo, like the decades they paved the way for.

You may well have been right; the point was that back then that was very much a fringe view. To win an election, whatever your policies, you had to present them as good ideas that would make things better.

Corbyn was probably the last gasp of that 90s optimism, saying that, while it obviously not true that things can _only_ get better, sufficiently radical changes might mean better things are _still possible_.

He lost; too many people, in particular non-voters, didn’t believe him.

Now. personally, I think that feeling is part generational trend, part cross-contamination from America (which does seem to be genuinely structurally hosed).

If outside the US, wait it out and it will mostly go away.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ITVBorderRB/status/1306584662207332352?s=19

"don't vote for The SNP, it'll give them a mandate for a second referendum!"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's all meaningless unless they close offices, pubs and schools.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Really excited for Kieth to stumble into a minority government propped up by the SNP who promptly declare independence and sail Scotland off into the North Sea and moor it off the Norwegian coast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I made a mistake. There are too many birds, and they are too hungry. Supplies will not last long. There is no way out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cover yourself in birdseed and intimidate your neighbours with your new army.

Like saint francis but more baller.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

sassassin posted:

I made a mistake. There are too many birds, and they are too hungry. Supplies will not last long. There is no way out.

You entered into this pact willingly, human. The Seed Must Flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sassassin posted:

Who had Hitchcock's the birds for September?