Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

biscuits and crazy posted:

In Gen 1 its basically irrelevant, the only moves that are super effective against Psychic are Lick, Pin Missile and Twineedle IIRC. Lick is pathetically weak, and Twinneedle is exclusive to Beedrill, who is useless. Jolteon gets Pin Missile, but it also gets STAB electric attacks, so why would it bother when you could just use Thunderbolt.

Remember, Gen 1 was also bugged in that Psychic was actually immune to ghost. So Lick is even worse than you thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, got the screenshots for the next update!

...more than 200 of them. :negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BlazetheInferno posted:

Remember, Gen 1 was also bugged in that Psychic was actually immune to ghost. So Lick is even worse than you thought.

Yeah, Psychic is all upside in Gen 1 since it basically just gets you Psychic STAB and resistance to Psychic and Fighting. The resistance being a marginally bigger deal because of how many powerhouses are Psychic types with limited coverage, and the STAB being interesting since Psychic actually gets a TM worth a drat unlike half the other types.

Gen II+ it becomes much more of a mixed bag once Psychic actually gains weaknesses and they make two opposing types that directly nerf it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zore posted:

Yeah, Psychic is all upside in Gen 1 since it basically just gets you Psychic STAB and resistance to Psychic and Fighting. The resistance being a marginally bigger deal because of how many powerhouses are Psychic types with limited coverage, and the STAB being interesting since Psychic actually gets a TM worth a drat unlike half the other types.
Psychic's absurd power also indirectly buffs Normal-types, because neither Fighting nor Ghost want anything to do with them, and most good Psychic types have mediocre (or just outright bad) Defense, which makes a fast and/or strong Normal-type the best counter to them that isn't "other Psychic types".

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Psychic's absurd power also indirectly buffs Normal-types, because neither Fighting nor Ghost want anything to do with them, and most good Psychic types have mediocre (or just outright bad) Defense, which makes a fast and/or strong Normal-type the best counter to them that isn't "other Psychic types".
Around the time of Gold/Silver's release, one of the devs said in interviews that Psychic's dominance was actually the thing that spurred them to add new Types to the game, specifically to provide hard counters to Psychic type.

Of course, they only added like 4 Pokemon of each type, which combined with Gen 2's notoriously hosed-up availability distribution to mean casual players likely didn't get to use Dark and Steel-type Pokemon until post-game content (if at all, tbh), but, y'know.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MagusofStars posted:

Around the time of Gold/Silver's release, one of the devs said in interviews that Psychic's dominance was actually the thing that spurred them to add new Types to the game, specifically to provide hard counters to Psychic type.

Of course, they only added like 4 Pokemon of each type, which combined with Gen 2's notoriously hosed-up availability distribution to mean casual players likely didn't get to use Dark and Steel-type Pokemon until post-game content (if at all, tbh), but, y'know.

It'll never stop being impressive to me how they added a brand new type in Dark then locked it entirely in Kanto, except for Umbreon, which isn't easy to get at all since Gen 2 didn't have abusable ways to increase happiness fast. Steel was significantly easier to get IIRC.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It'll never stop being impressive to me how they added a brand new type in Dark then locked it entirely in Kanto, except for Umbreon, which isn't easy to get at all since Gen 2 didn't have abusable ways to increase happiness fast. Steel was significantly easier to get IIRC.
Magnemite/Magneton were just easily available in the wild. Fortress comes from Pineco, so just need to headbutt around. Skarmory was around the 8th gym in Silver, but that works out pretty nicely since hey there's the dragon gym.

Steelix & Scizor are interesting in they are available before Kanto but with the asterisk of the only metal coat you get for free are in the post-game SS Aqua or on a traded magneton in the crystal power plant. If you want one yourself in the Johto part of the game you need to Thief hunt wild Mangemites for their 2% chance of holding one.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

rannum posted:

Magnemite/Magneton were just easily available in the wild. Fortress comes from Pineco, so just need to headbutt around. Skarmory was around the 8th gym in Silver, but that works out pretty nicely since hey there's the dragon gym.

Steelix & Scizor are interesting in they are available before Kanto but with the asterisk of the only metal coat you get for free are in the post-game SS Aqua or on a traded magneton in the crystal power plant. If you want one yourself in the Johto part of the game you need to Thief hunt wild Mangemites for their 2% chance of holding one.

Not even, remember that you don't just use Metal Coat, you have to trade while holding it. So you're just locked out of them entirely without other people with the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 23: Ooh, This One Looks Formidable!

Fair warning, this is going to be the longest update we've had in a while.

Up until now, all but the strongest trainers have used some combination of good Pokemon with bad moves, and bad Pokemon with good moves. Cinnabar is where all that ends. Before we get into it, let's take a look at our new, buffed-up team.

With a few small exceptions, such as BIGGER BEN's HP being just shy of what I'd prefer, our team is really starting to shape up into something I'd call "complete." Changes from this point on will be almost entirely about what fits our specific needs for the upcoming battles, rather than to replace someone subpar. Even their movelists are pretty much set.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Judoboy's Machoke will be the last Pokemon we see what isn't fully evolved. His gimmick is always opening with a Focus Energy, which actually sextuples critical hit rate in Stadium, so there's going to be a lot of danger in getting whomped by a critical super effective or STAB attack. Not all of their moves are perfect, but they're essentially free of anything I'd call filler.

With his team's overwhelming preference for Normal and Fighting attacks, this is GAIFGI's first chance to shine.

His predictable choice of opener, and relative lack of anything that can immediately threaten a Haunter, makes keeping Substitute up relatively trivial.

This greatly assists GAIFGI in controlling how much damage she would take from even crits and super effective attacks, and gives her plenty of opportunities to fish for sleep procs with Hypnosis.

Which is very helpful considering how unreliable that 60% accuracy is.

But when it does stick, the Dream Eater follow-up helps restore the HP loss from the Substitute spam.

The AI, along with having better Pokemon, is also smarter now, and will actually switch Pokemon to take advantage of the Sleep Clause.

GAIFGI's only other semi-offensive option, Confuse Ray, isn't about to win any damage races, by itself, either.

Those mandatory Focus Energy uses, however, give us plenty of opportunities to switch to other Pokemon better suited for whatever he brought out instead.

Which is usually RAVESTAR.

Losses: 0

Starmie is really good, y'all.

Our second opponent, a Psychic, doesn't have much of a gimmick, besides type choices and not really having a gimmick.

DOCTOR GUN is here to show why he's King of OU.

Substitute also blocks sleep shenanigans in Stadium, keeping Hypno from using our own strategies against us.

Even his Poliwrath, the expected counter to a powerful Normal-type, doesn't have many options as long as I've got a Sub up when it switches in.

And DOCTOR GUN's surprising sturdiness means that even the openings the Psychic does get aren't enough.

Ha, what a Nerd. A nerd with an extremely dangerous gimmick of blowing his Pokemon up when he realizes he's on the wrong side of an exchange. This is GAIFGI's other chance to shine, as a properly-predicted switch into her can turn a possible double KO into what is essentially a free kill.

Assuming I manage to predict when he's actually going to explode.

Gaffes aside, BIGGER BEN's bulkiness and Dig, and some luck with GAIFGI's Hypnosis, do make this a fairly forgiving fight as long as I prepare properly.

Which I did.

Blaine himself, quite aware of Fire's weakness defensively, has opted to give his Pokemon many extremely dangerous attacks, as well as some Normals with coverage moves that'll make a mess of a player that only thought to bring Water and Rock-types. Special shout-out goes to Rapidash's Horn Drill, giving him a roughly one-in-three chance of erasing most of the Pokemon you'd think to bring against this team.

Attempt #1:

I open with RAVESTAR, who, being faster than Rapidash by a fair margin, isn't afraid of that Horn Drill.

Realizing he's in a very bad position, Blaine immediately switches to his Clefable, which packs a Thunder Wave that could ruin RAVESTAR's chances at a sweep. I respond with a counter-switch to BIGGER BEN, who has no fear of either Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave.

This proves to be a wise choice.

... kind of. Good news here is that this is the rare situation where I might actually have a chance to switch BIGGER BEN into a predicted Fire-type attack, the only possible way for me to get him back into the fight.

Unfortunately, I forgot that was a possibility at the time, and let Clefable get the kill, so I can get a free switch to THE BOY and his super effective Submission.

This mostly works, but not without consequence.

I miss the screenshot, but Blaine switches Clefable back out with a sliver of health left. I don't think much of it at the time, RAVESTAR will easily be able to finish it off with Surf later. Why worry about it?

THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL SUBTLE FORESHADOWING. DO YOU SEE HOW SUBTLE I'M BEING?

What follows after is a brutal slugging match between THE BOY and Blaine's Charizard. (This is the point when I realized I'd made a mistake letting BIGGER BEN go down.)

A beautiful, indestructible wall of beef, THE BOY comes out on top of this exchange, thanks in part to avoiding paralysis procs and landing a critical hit Body Slam.

Blaine's last Pokemon is his Kangaskhan, which finishes THE BOY off after his luck catches up to him, and the paralysis prevents a clutch Rest.

This is when holding onto RAVESTAR comes in handy.

Oh, son of a bitch.

It's not the end yet, RAVESTAR's bulk (and Kangaskhan's garbage Special) let me get off a Recover and turn the tables, nabbing the vic-

THIS IS WHERE THAT FORESHADOWING I DID PAYS OFF. DID YOU GET IT?

This is a bad place to be in. I'm not sure if RAVESTAR can survive a Thunderbolt at its current health, and even if it can, a paralysis proc is going to ensure that I don't survive a second.

Good news, RAVESTAR does survive the Thunderbolt.

Bad news, I may have woken the neighbors when I shouted "gently caress YEAH" at two in the morning.

Total Losses: 0

As a reminder, this was a victory by the skin of my teeth despite coming in with a specially-tailored and TMed team. The game still has some tricks in store for the last legs. This is probably going to be my last no Losses clear of a gym.

Well, onward and upward, as they say.

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: Is that a loving Moltres?!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 16, 2020

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Pleasant surprise to come home to!

Yeah I remember as a kid cruising through most of the gym castle and then getting around here and just absolutely getting stomped. Thanks for crushing it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You'd figure in a fire gym that at least one fire type would be represented on the rosters of the leader's henchmen, but no.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, we're getting to the point where I can start training Pokemon above level 50. But the question now is should I? The answer to this question depends entirely on what I'm doing with them afterwards. Poke Cup? Prime Cup? Complete retirement?

That... is up to you, dear readers.

I've set up a poll to gauge everyone's early opinions on what I'll be doing after I whomp Fasslp (eventually.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't like competitive pokemon bullshit so I vote on whatever lets you cockslap this bullshit game in the face the hardest.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Cythereal posted:

You'd figure in a fire gym that at least one fire type would be represented on the rosters of the leader's henchmen, but no.

That's because there aren't a lot of fire Pokemon in gen one, and the ones that are there aren't very good.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Seeing HITLEE eat a critical Psychic, BROENZA eat a critical Hyper Beam, and LEMGO get tormented by having its dreams being scarfed down with Dream Eater gives me great pleasure, along with HYPNENZA and WRATHENZA biting the dust :getin:

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Oh hey, a shiny Jolteon!

Seriously though, Stadium changing colours based on nicknames was really neat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I don't like competitive pokemon bullshit so I vote on whatever lets you cockslap this bullshit game in the face the hardest.

Yeah, seriously. Stadium is hard enough without you putting limits on yourself. I voted every easy choice, go wild.

Also that was an impressive clearning of that Gym. I never cleared the Tower in Stadium (I did in Stadium 2) so I had no idea what would appear, though I imagined...but not the guy with six bombs. That was unexpected.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
My suggestions are clearly the best and you should agree with them

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I went with easy stuff but no Mewtwo. Mewtwo is just too good to be used.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Gewd Jarb with Blaine, PMush!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I wanna see as many pokemon as possible. The Stadium Hall of Fame even incentivizes you to try and win a tournament with every 'mon. I'd love to see how much of it you can fill by the time you finish the LP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MR. J posted:

I wanna see as many pokemon as possible. The Stadium Hall of Fame even incentivizes you to try and win a tournament with every 'mon. I'd love to see how much of it you can fill by the time you finish the LP.
If I use entirely different Pokemon for the fight with Fasslp and every cup of every tournament, I'll get sixty-six Pokemon into the Hall of Fame. That is just enough that I'll be able to represent every line of available Pokemon rated at least a 1.5 exactly once.

I didn't realize how perfectly that works out until I did the math just now (though it does have some caveats, namely that I'll only be able to use one Eeveelution, and some Pokemon are absolutely going to need to be carried, and thus won't make much of a showing even if I do use them.)

Edit: Also, if I'm allowed to use Mewtwo, I'll need to exclude one of my 1.5s. It'll probably be Porygon, because I have another, much more stupid way to show off what it can do.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 16, 2020

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
honestly that sounds positively perfect then!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I may or may not already be figuring out if it's feasible to do one team for every round. (Potential spoilers for future team compositions.)

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Porygon what do you have up your sleeve? :stare:

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
What's with all the 'illegal's? What the heck did vileplume, arbok and primeape do?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

NAME REDACTED posted:

What's with all the 'illegal's? What the heck did vileplume, arbok and primeape do?

Red version exclusives I'm pretty sure.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I like that Primeape is explicitly illegal in 10 of the categories but only possibly illegal in 2

rannum fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 17, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

EorayMel posted:

Seeing HITLEE eat a critical Psychic, BROENZA eat a critical Hyper Beam, and LEMGO get tormented by having its dreams being scarfed down with Dream Eater gives me great pleasure, along with HYPNENZA and WRATHENZA biting the dust :getin:

poo poo dude, I can't come over for the big game tonight! I caught BROENZA

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rannum posted:

I like that Primeape is explicitly illegal in 10 of the categories but only possibly illegal in 2
I'll go over that when we get to Petit Cup!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

NAME REDACTED posted:

The purple "illegal" seem to be for the cups which are level-restricted. In other words, PMush can't use the Rapidash line in the level 25 category because the lowest level Ponyta you can legitimately catch is like ~30 or something (and obviously Rapidash itself is out since it evolves at 40).

The black "illegal" appear to be version-exclusives which PMush can't get because Electabuzz doesn't exist in Blue.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

MagusofStars posted:

The purple "illegal" seem to be for the cups which are level-restricted. In other words, PMush can't use the Rapidash line in the level 25 category because the lowest level Ponyta you can legitimately catch is like ~30 or something (and obviously Rapidash itself is out since it evolves at 40).

The black "illegal" appear to be version-exclusives which PMush can't get because Electabuzz doesn't exist in Blue.

This is especially good when there are enemy trainers in Pika Cup, the level 15-20 cup, using Pokemon that cannot legally exist at that range like Dewgong :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

EorayMel posted:

This is especially good when there are enemy trainers in Pika Cup, the level 15-20 cup, using Pokemon that cannot legally exist at that range like Dewgong :v:

The pika cup in general was really tough because those cheating shits on the computer teams had level 15s with end game move sets everywhere

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

This doesn't apply to Rapidash (or all Pokemon for that matter), but with Gen 2's Time capsule, would it be possible to have, say, a level 10 Ponyta and compete that way, or would the game detect it in any way? No Gen 2 moves or items or anything, just a baseline level 5 Ponyta

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’d imagine it has no such protections.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's all fine, so long as it only has Gen 1 moves. And tbh, you were trading them to Gen 1 to get the better TMs anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jeezy Chreezy, over eighty responses. I didn't realize I still had that many active readers, especially after such a long hiatus.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

EorayMel posted:

Bulbapedia has a list of all eligible Pokemon and how to obtain them legally. That, amazingly, includes the spoiler.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

Bulbapedia has a list of all eligible Pokemon and how to obtain them legally. That, amazingly, includes the spoiler.
There's some good ones that require cross-game trading. Yellow has a guy in Cinnabar who'll trade you a Growlithe for a Dewgong of the same level. You can catch Level 15 Growlithe in Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

PMush Perfect posted:

Jeezy Chreezy, over eighty responses. I didn't realize I still had that many active readers, especially after such a long hiatus.

This is a good thread.