Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So interesting photos of Philadelphia Naval Yard abandoned

https://www.abandonedamerica.us/philadelphia-naval-yard

Edit: Here's some actual news, Navy released the investigation regarding the Roosevelt

https://news.usni.org/2020/09/17/complete-command-probe-into-uss-theodore-roosevelt-covid-19-outbreak

quote:

With respect to the specific matters the investigation was tasked to examine, the team concluded:

1. The decision process and calculus for approving TR’s port visit to Da Nang was appropriate. The planning for the Da Nang port visit was done with careful, methodical and thorough consideration of the status of the COVID-19 outbreak in Vietnam at the time. The risk analysis was advised by experts and data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and after consultation with the government of Vietnam to better understand their methods and measures for COVID-19 control. At that time, based upon the data available, it reasonably appeared to be safer in Vietnam than many domestic U.S. Navy fleet concentration areas. The visit was executed with sensible precautions, based on the world’s understanding of COVID-19 at the time.

2. During the transit of TR from Vietnam to its mission operating area, and then to Guam, with 39 Sailors in quarantine, no significant additional precautions were taken for the remainder of the crew until fifteen days after leaving Da Nang. Sailors had reported to the Medical Department as early as three to four days after leaving Da Nang, but the symptoms were not able to be correlated with COVID-19, even with assistance from embarked Biological Defense Research Directorate (BDRD) teams and their limited COVID-19 surveillance testing capability. After the first Sailors began to test positive for COVID-19 on March 24th, few additional precautions were directed for those not isolated or quarantined, despite the known potential for asymptomatic transmission.

3. After arrival in Guam, available off-ship berthing was not aggressively used, due to the TR leadership insisting on fully CDC compliant quarantine quarters. Although the off-ship makeshift berthing was not perfect, it provided vastly improved ability to socially distance crewmembers. Miscommunication over testing requirements also contributed to significant delays in egressing the crew, initially. The TR and Commander, Carrier Strike Group Nine (CCSG-9) leadership spent the majority of their efforts finding flaws with the Commander, U.S. 7th Fleet (C7F) intended way ahead, while offering no practicable solutions and neglecting to supervise and coordinate the crew’s egress to temporary offship quarantine facilities. Finally, due to an erroneous conclusion that the shipboard quarantining efforts were causing more Sailors to be infected, the ship ceased its quarantine efforts on March 29th, with over 4,000 Sailors still aboard. This was done without consultation or notification to higher headquarters, and apparently was not discovered by higher headquarters leadership until the preliminary inquiry. The combination of these actions likely contributed to increased spread of the infection to more TR Sailors.

4. As to the former TR CO’s email and attached letter, he was present at C7F staff meetings where discussions took place regarding the efforts in progress to secure longer-term, CDC compliant quarters for his crew. He, therefore, knew or should have known of the actions that were already underway up echelon, but was dissatisfied with the interim quarters. Rather than lead his team to work with the shore establishment to improve upon them, he elected to send his email and attached letter. When it was later leaked to the media, it complicated the Navy’s negotiation with the Government of Guam for use of hotel rooms in Guam. The identity of the person leaking the email remains unknown.

This is every staff anywhere, ever

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
NAS Pensacola is COR 1 until the week is over.

The eye of the hurricane literally ran right above us. Hell, 95% of the county is still without power and it's gonna take all weekend for just that to come back.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stay safe man. My officer on this deployment lives in Pensacola with her parents and apparently the storm gave her a free tree and fence removal service.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hooooo boy, they put some photos up on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=NASPCOLA&set=a.3285950861496065

Those aircraft sun shades got loving shredded.

Comedy Naval air station response: "I don't see any major differences".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/stavridisj/status/1306978096554430466

e: Deleted, but a Twittist saved a screencap.

https://twitter.com/AlcantaraEdits/status/1306980791252123648

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 18, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Classy :cool:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

What I take from this is that there should be a nationwide distribution of silhouette recognition flashcards ASAP.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Boy am I glad I borrowed a RIGSAFEARM and never brought it back. I can lend it out for a price.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
NAS and CID are both going to be open for business Monday, says them.

We will see what level of operations substantiate open for business then, I guess.

Utilities project 95% Connectivity to the grid by Tuesday night in Escambia county.

Which means that people might be coming into work without the capability to have taken showers since Monday before. Let alone access to power or clean water.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tails from my first time at sea...

So word got back to our Masterchief about people complaining about the most chill posting ever in the history of reserve service. “We don’t have enough jobs, no mission, not enough liberty..... wah wah wah”. So he decides we need a little taste of more “navy” activity. Namely, Monday at 730 will be quarters for him to talk to the unit on the flight deck. Just Monday’s that’s all. He starts out by at easing us and says this will take all of 10 minutes because he wants us to get to breakfast but first a couple words, the usual stuff about resourcefulness, dedications, yada yada and toughness.
It starts to rain lightly. Pitter patter. A reservist E6 raises his hand and asks that we be moved to inside due to the rain. (It’s 0742)
Deep sigh.
“No”.

Holy poo poo we deserve anything bad that comes. What a bunch of babies.

And yes he let us go at 0745.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Its okay you can say it was you

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LingcodKilla posted:

Tails from my first time at sea...

So word got back to our Masterchief about people complaining about the most chill posting ever in the history of reserve service. “We don’t have enough jobs, no mission, not enough liberty..... wah wah wah”. So he decides we need a little taste of more “navy” activity. Namely, Monday at 730 will be quarters for him to talk to the unit on the flight deck. Just Monday’s that’s all. He starts out by at easing us and says this will take all of 10 minutes because he wants us to get to breakfast but first a couple words, the usual stuff about resourcefulness, dedications, yada yada and toughness.
It starts to rain lightly. Pitter patter. A reservist E6 raises his hand and asks that we be moved to inside due to the rain. (It’s 0742)
Deep sigh.
“No”.

Holy poo poo we deserve anything bad that comes. What a bunch of babies.

And yes he let us go at 0745.

lol

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

iwentdoodie posted:

Its okay you can say it was you
Trying to figure out how to say this, but snarkier.

"I didn't realize you'd been frocked already" or something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Har har. I may have made 1rst but I’m not an brain dead. I know a good thing when I live it. Currently I’m making paper flowers for Latino heritage month with the diversity team. Gonna start a piñata tomorrow.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Crabman is obviously a high level Navy Recruitment officer trying out some unusual social media tactics to get people to enlist. I refuse to believe some people's Navy existence is so blissful, my mind will not allow it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Just doing crafts with my navy buddies nbd

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Crabdad is blessed by Neptune because he resisted the call of Ares.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 21, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s not just a job.

It’s a really easy job.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What kind of biscuits did they serve with the tea? I like the chocolate covered digestives from McVities.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Today it was cherry pie and yesterday it was cinnamon rolls. The civmar cooks are amazing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
this is all very confusing having been in a community where every time we could have had nice things at no additional expenditure or hassle it was shot down and our conditions downgraded through significant efforts

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

this is all very confusing having been in a community where every time we could have had nice things at no additional expenditure or hassle it was shot down and our conditions downgraded through significant efforts

You joined the wrong navy. See, the more you want to be in the suck (via joining the loving seabees lol), the more you are in the suck. Crab Dad has made no attempts to be in the suck, and thus has avoided the suck.

Intel and information dominance communities tend to take a bit better care of their folks than the seabees.

Now it's not excellent care, but I had a CO who believed in a very permissive liberty policy, and we never really had any onerous bullshit to deal with beyond what you would expect from the basic military experience. I showed up to work at around 7, went to lunch at 11AM, hosed around for an hour or 2, and then came back and finished up a couple tasks and was out of the office by 1500. 1700 was the latest I ever stayed outside of when we had wargames going on, where we would wind up on 12 on 12 off but really I just sat around watching Youtube for that time because there wasn't actually anything for me to do.

Now sea duty was a completely different experience, and much closer to awful than the above. Still had an alright chain of command at least inside of Combat Systems, so was insulated from some of the bullshit that is caused by poor leadership.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 21, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Crabdad is blessed by Neptune because he resisted the call of Ares.

I love this.

Goodpancakes posted:

What kind of biscuits did they serve with the tea? I like the chocolate covered digestives from McVities.

I ate so many cookies touring other nations' ships that I assume I was filling some sort of American stereotype. I assume only the guests get those though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We visited one of those tubby Army ships in Souda Bay and they gave us a flat of Rip-Its and a jar of red vines for a coin and hat. Good guys.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

piL posted:

I ate so many cookies touring other nations' ships that I assume I was filling some sort of American stereotype. I assume only the guests get those though.

"Tea with no biscuits" (British biscuits, a.k.a. cookies) is a British phrase for "you're in deep poo poo." As in, you're about to have a very unpleasant meeting with the Powers that Be.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1308145605076713473?s=20

Lot of rust, what was deck department doing?

[goes back to -20* SCIF]

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i'm working on a book, and I have a question i can't seem to find an answer to.

I have a character who wants to be a SEAL more than anything in his life, but for reasons I haven't yet got a handle on, that dream gets wrecked. That's where you guys might be able to help.

This is all malleable based on the answer I get here, but this is the gist: this character is a commissioned officer, who has just finished his first OBLISERV. He is on the verge of renewing his commitment, after which he will go to Great Lakes, then onto Coronado. However, before he goes to Great Lakes, he finds his mother has been murdered.

First question: can anyone tell me what length of time that first obliserv would be? If it's variable, can you give me a time frame? I've been poking around public.navy.mil for answers, but it's all steeped in legalese, and I don't feel confident in any answer I have.

Second question: when that obliserv is up, when/where would he renew?Just on whichever base he happens to be? Would he then be told to move on to Great Lakes, where he'd begin pre-BUDS?

My goal is to have something prevent him from renewing into that second round of obligated service. Maybe jail time, maybe something else, but the Navy would ask for his resignation.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

also if you guys could just write this book for me, that'd be great tia

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I have a character who wants to be a SEAL more than anything in his life, but for reasons I haven't yet got a handle on, that dream gets wrecked. That's where you guys might be able to help.

This is all malleable based on the answer I get here, but this is the gist: this character is a commissioned officer, who has just finished his first OBLISERV. He is on the verge of renewing his commitment, after which he will go to Great Lakes, then onto Coronado. However, before he goes to Great Lakes, he finds his mother has been murdered.

First question: can anyone tell me what length of time that first obliserv would be? If it's variable, can you give me a time frame? I've been poking around public.navy.mil for answers, but it's all steeped in legalese, and I don't feel confident in any answer I have.

Second question: when that obliserv is up, when/where would he renew?Just on whichever base he happens to be? Would he then be told to move on to Great Lakes, where he'd begin pre-BUDS?

My goal is to have something prevent him from renewing into that second round of obligated service. Maybe jail time, maybe something else, but the Navy would ask for his resignation.

Got caught loving his subordinate.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Tea with no biscuits" (British biscuits, a.k.a. cookies) is a British phrase for "you're in deep poo poo." As in, you're about to have a very unpleasant meeting with the Powers that Be.

This is also a great phrase. Will steal.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

A commissioned officer doesn't actually follow their obliserv and renew, they have to request to resign post obliserv. If they request a period prior to their obliserv it'll basically just be denied. Its probably 4-5 years unless he's a pilot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Officer active duty service obligations differ depending on commissioning source and jobs. My numbers are out of date, but from what I remember it was 8 years after getting winged for pilots, 5 years for USNA and NROTC grads. OCS people are 3-4 years depending on circumstances.

You're not finding information because you're searching for an enlisted term. Search for service obligation or ADSO instead of OBLISERV.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

The answer is always 'punching a superior officer that deserved it'. Do you not have a TV?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Officers don't really renew their commitment for a set period like enlisted members do with a re-enlistment. Once you're done with your commitment, you just keep doing new tours every three years or so until you either decide to quit and resign, or you fail to promote within certain milestone timelines and the navy kicks you out.

e: there are some things that can incur an additional commitment like weapons and tactics instructor training (think TOPGUN) or taking an incentive bonus, which is basically the navy paying you extra money in order to stick around and do a department head tour or something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Officers don't really renew their commitment for a set period like enlisted members do with a re-enlistment. Once you're done with your commitment, you just keep doing new tours every three years or so until you either decide to quit and resign, or you fail to promote within certain milestone timelines and the navy kicks you out.

This. Officers are commissioned and in until they are either separated for some reason or they resign and the resignation is accepted. The president is under no obligation to accept a resignation, though, and can keep officers working until they're done with them. I believe Obama denied Gen. McChrystal's retirement more than once because he needed him for the continuation of operation useless dirt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What I would suggest is you figure out what this dude's job is. Is he a SWO? Then make sure he's following the SWO career pipeline. I would also specifically look at the officer buds application process because it will list when someone is eligible to apply. I would not be surprised if a SWO is free to apply at any time. Likewise, I would also not be surprised that a pilot might not be free to do so. I honestly do not know the answer, but there is a milpersman that will cover it without a doubt.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

officers do their own special pre-BUDS in coronado where the instructors break almost the entire class to ensure that the two female candidates don't make it. also the answer is always hosed a subordinate.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
lol nnsy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

also the answer is always hosed a subordinate.

this

or anything else involving sex and/or money.

"bringing strippers into the barracks for his boys (so they'd stop making fun of his diggit rear end)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Okay, so this dude is gonna gently caress the nearest nco. Got it.

Also thanks for the answers!