Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Those who voted against Romero show yourselfs you cowards.

Hmmm, let me think. The worst of the original Romero trilogy, or a movie that both created and defined an entire genre, cut from the cloth of Japan's post-Hiroshima existential fear of the power of the atom?

The real question is "Who the gently caress voted for Romero?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think the weirdest thing that could happen at this rate in the tournament is Brian Yuzna going to the finals, which honestly I'm not so sure it's outside the realm of possibility at this point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TrixRabbi posted:

I think the weirdest thing that could happen at this rate in the tournament is Brian Yuzna going to the finals, which honestly I'm not so sure it's outside the realm of possibility at this point.

If there's any justice he's beating Nightmare 3 this round.

So I want to make a case for the Human Vapor, but that case is effectively 'Go watch it'

Almost none of you have probably ever seen it and it might surprise you. The ending is a real blast

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, I need to watch Human Vapor and if I can find the time might try to do that tonight -- but it's got a uphill battle to fight against Audition. I'm open to changing my vote, but Miike leans heavy here.

Only other film I haven't seen this round is Blade II. I love the first Blade, but at the same time it's up against the fuckin' Devils and I just don't foresee my vote changing there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat, 3 of those are obvious picks for me, but Videodrome vs. Inland Empire is gonna have to be a rewatch soon.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

drat, 3 of those are obvious picks for me, but Videodrome vs. Inland Empire is gonna have to be a rewatch soon.

Come on, come on and do the Locomotion with me, Fulci Fan.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm actually very open to voting for Honda here because Audition just never quite landed with me the same way that it did for a lot of other people. It's good but if Human Vapors is even one step above that to "very good", then it will get my vote.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I personally think it's pretty cool that, of the eight contenders left, one is Canadian, one is British, two are Japanese, one is Filipino, one is Mexican, and the only two Americans are from the Midwest and the Intermountain region (instead of East or West Coast).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uh, was anyone aware that Chuck Russell has at least one other horror film under his belt?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bless_the_Child

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've seen Bless the Child and I'm pretty confident that it would have lost whatever round it was drawn in. Whoops.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

lol that entire Division is a shitshow as is. I feel like seeing how the tournament shaped up I wouldn't have included the duo directors anyway but oh well. Live and learn.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Uh, was anyone aware that Chuck Russell has at least one other horror film under his belt?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bless_the_Child
He also introduced the world to Cameron Diaz in The Mask

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat Chuck Russell had a better and more varied career than I realized. He also directed the last good Arnie movie, Eraser.

NOES 3, The Blob, The Mask and Eraser is an impressive decade for any director.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

drat Chuck Russell had a better and more varied career than I realized. He also directed the last good Arnie movie, Eraser.

NOES 3, The Blob, The Mask and Eraser is an impressive decade for any director.

Yeah, I've gained a lot of respect for him in this tournament.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TrixRabbi posted:

lol that entire Division is a shitshow as is. I feel like seeing how the tournament shaped up I wouldn't have included the duo directors anyway but oh well. Live and learn.

I love it. I wish we had done entirely random seeds :getin:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

At least Brian Yuzna is finally getting the attention he's always deserved, no irony at all. Faust is great and it easily gets my vote.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yuzna is someone who would be a strong contender in a producer-only tournament as well. The guy has just been involved with a whole bunch of interesting movies, whether it be as director or not.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Inland Empire vs Videodrome, FRIDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST Videodrome
2110 EST Inland Empire

:spooky: Dream Warriors vs Faust, SATURDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
2115 EST Faust: Love of the Damned

:rip: A very special SUNDAY CHILL STREAM on the CineD Discord :rip:
:spooky: Featuring Blade 2 vs The Devils :spooky:

0710 EST Paul Verhoeven's The Fourth Man
0900 EST Fassbinder's Querelle
1100 EST Les Garcons Sauvages
1300 EST The Neon Demon
1510 EST Knife+Heart
1700 EST Liquid Sky
1900 EST Blade 2
2105 EST The Devils

:spooky: The Human Vapor vs Audition, MONDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST The Human Vapor
2110 EST Audition

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 18, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

Sorry STAC

Burkion posted:

My heart hurts every Thursday

I have no idea what to make of this round. Lynch vs Cronenberg is a real "I'm not feeling it" matchup. I've never seen Devils but based on the way ya'll talk about it and how Russell has been received I think my Guillermo run is about to end. :sigh: Audition. I saw Faust once a long time ago when I was home sick from school and its one of those "real or fever dream?" memories. Should be an eventful round if nothing else.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Fran predictions (not based on what I'm personally voting)

Videodrome to win. INLAND EMPIRE is Lynch at his most experimental and most indulgent. While the same can be said for Videodrome, Cronenberg's film at least has a clearer through-line, which makes it a more cohesive experience. I'll do a write-up for how to "prepare to watch" INLAND EMPIRE. I don't know if the experience will be improved by a group watch or greatly damaged by it, since it's a film that imbues the viewer with isolation and dread. Both films leave the audience with more questions than answers, but Videodrome was shot on film and INLAND EMPIRE is completely digital, which adds to it's sickly atmosphere. It is abrasive.

Dream Warriors to win. I haven't seen Faust, though, so I can't say for sure, but I think Englund's Freddy vs Heather Langenkamp and Patricia Arquette and the rest of the Dream Warriors is such a rewarding iconic 1980's horror film.

The Devils to win. It's Russell's masterpiece, and Blade 2 is the most polarizing of GDT's films. It's dangerous, it's blasphemous, and it's perversely horny, with one of Oliver Reed's greatest performances at it's center.

Audition to win. Haven't seen Honda's The Human Vapor, and Honda is seemingly unbreakable, but Audition is more than it's much-discussed torture sequence. It is a powerful film in today's climate of consent. It's a deceptive deconstruction of the power dynamics between men and women, a horrific satire of meet-cutes and RomComs, and also a fascinating look at the paranoid terror of falling in love (or lust? or infatuation?) with the idea of someone and not who they actually are. The film cleverly makes the main character a villain and the killer a sympathetic person, disorienting the audience's sense of morality and safety. It is tied together with a nice ambiguous bow (I don't care what Miike says about the ending; death to the author).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TrixRabbi posted:

Only other film I haven't seen this round is Blade II. I love the first Blade, but at the same time it's up against the fuckin' Devils and I just don't foresee my vote changing there.

I've seen both, and there is no way in hell that Blade 2 compares with The Devils on any level. By rights that match should be the biggest blowout of the tournament.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I like Blade 2 and I've never seen Devils and even I'm just writing that one off as over. And I'm sad. I was hoping for Cronos or maybe even Crimson Peak. I guess to October they go.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I don't know if the experience will be improved by a group watch or greatly damaged by it, since it's a film that imbues the viewer with isolation and dread.

I should add that the primary role of the streams is to make sure everyone has equal access to the films being discussed, barring scheduling conflicts and unfortunate time zone stuff. If people want to watch solo and not engage with the chat, they're absolutely welcome to do so.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

I've seen both, and there is no way in hell that Blade 2 compares with The Devils on any level. By rights that match should be the biggest blowout of the tournament.

gently caress this Blade 2 whips so hard. I don’t give a poo poo about the eternally horny Ken Russell and his bullshit- Blade 2 is basically the perfect action-horror movie and if there is justice in the world it will win.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Since The H Man got subbed in for another Honda film mid tournament, are we also adding Bless the Child to Russell's pool?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I should add that the primary role of the streams is to make sure everyone has equal access to the films being discussed, barring scheduling conflicts and unfortunate time zone stuff. If people want to watch solo and not engage with the chat, they're absolutely welcome to do so.

Oh yeah, for sure. I'm just saying that I don't know if having someone to ask "Do you know what the gently caress is happening?" would help, or if it's better to just let it wash over you like a wave (that is 100 ft tall and you don't know how to swim).

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

My wife and I almost moved into the apartment building shown in exterior shots of Videodrome, a few years ago. I was so disappointed that someone got the apartment before we could.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. I'm just saying that I don't know if having someone to ask "Do you know what the gently caress is happening?" would help, or if it's better to just let it wash over you like a wave (that is 100 ft tall and you don't know how to swim).

In advance, the answer to "Do you know what the gently caress is happening?" is and always will be: No.

Honestly, Inland Empire to me is horror at its most baseline, gutteral feeling. It's disorienting and enticing, terrifying and hilarious, it's a bending twisting swirl of thought and emotion and the dream life. Before he made The Return, I would call it Lynch's masterpiece because it's so quintessentially what his work is about and it grips you and refuses to explain, it just wants you to feel.

I like Videodrome and all, but they just don't compare. Videodrome is about corruption of the mind, but Inland Empire is about exploring the entirety of one's soul and the horrors that lurk within. I hope enough of y'all will have the experience I had with Inland Empire and give it your vote.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I just noticed that Inland Empire is three hours long, I guess I'll be showing that after Videodrome then.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like this entire round is gonna make me feel really insecure about being artistically illiterate or something.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
As long as I'm there you'll never be the most artistically illiterate person in the chatroom/thread.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Artistic illiteracy has been the basis of most of my arguments thus far so

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Inland Empire really needs a two hour cut.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I genuinely belive that art literacy is often an impediment to appreciating art. Art needs to be felt, it needs an emotional connection, not an intellectual one. Any analytic clutter you place between yourself and the artwork is just going to sabotage that connection.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Counterpoint: "My five-year-old could draw that!"

Which isn't an argument anyone in this thread is making, but it's certainly out there in the world.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The times I wish I was more art literate are when I'm trying to turn those feelings into words. I deliberately try to avoid analysing while I'm watching

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I guess I should state where I stand on the current lineup. This could change and probably will but it's where I'm at right now.

Videodrome- I'm just not sure that Inland Empire is better ENOUGH to justify being so much longer. Videodrome is punchy and nice, but Inland Empire is far more involved. This is one I could sway on either way.

Human Vapor- I'm willing to go down on the Honda train as it crashes into the Miike mountain. I've got nothing bad to say about Audition, it's taut and conflicting and deep. But Human Vapor is just so much fun and the finale is really great. I kind of don't want to talk about it much because I don't want to spoil what the movie is about for you guys, but I'll say this much. Its the closest thing to Honda directing a Hammer Horror film you'll ever see.

The Devils- Blade 2 is really good but is it a better movie than the Devils? Does Blade 2's fun factor outweigh the Ken Russel surprise horny? I don't know. I haven't watched Blade 2 in a long time so I'm going to reserve judgement for the moment.

FAUST

No arguments, Faust kicks Nightmare 3's rear end inside out.

Faust.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I've always had a weird insecurity and anxiety about my "artistic literacy." Like a long time ago I went to an art exhibit and when a friend asked me what I thought I was like "I don't get art". Then they just said to just tell them what I felt when I looked at a painting and I said a bunch of stuff and they said "see, you get art." And I think that's why I love writing reviews and writeups for movies after I watch them. Sometimes I think I have something to say, sometimes I think I sound stupid. But that insecurity and anxiety lingers so I think that's my way of trying to express it and work through it. And in some cases like with Rebecca or Dawn of the Dead while I'm writing I realize how much more I DID "get" the film than I realized.

But like that insecurity still kind of lingers with me when my reaction is so opposite others. I'll rewatch something I don't like a bunch of times just to try and see what others see in it. So with Lynch, Cronenberg, Miike, and Russell that's a lot of stuff I feel weirdly insecure about how I don't "get it."

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Counterpoint: "My five-year-old could draw that!"

Which isn't an argument anyone in this thread is making, but it's certainly out there in the world.

I would actually agree with that counterpoint. The five-year-old could and probably does create great art, simply because they're expressing themselves freely and without baggage. Whether that art is celebrated in a wider context, or in a capalisitic sense, is completely uninteresting to me. The important thing is the self-expression. Whereas the adult in this imaginary scenario is presumably producing nothing, drawing nothing, signaling nothing to the outside. Trapped in a cage of their mundanity. We should be more like cool five-year-olds and less like their lame parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that aforementioned friend of mine is a child art therapist and like... kids' art is deep, man. It makes sense that's it kind of the purest expression of poo poo going on with them if you can interpret it.

Also now I'm realizing that my previous anecdote was my child art therapist friend treating me like one of his child patients.