Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

hmm. can you share a screenshot of that?

I mean it happens with any quoted embedded video on a page. The schadenfreude thread in GBS is a particular culprit. Regular posts with mp4's work fine but the if someone quotes that post I get scroll bars at the bottom and swiping dies. I'm on the og SE by the way, not the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

I mean it happens with any quoted embedded video on a page. The schadenfreude thread in GBS is a particular culprit. Regular posts with mp4's work fine but the if someone quotes that post I get scroll bars at the bottom and swiping dies. I'm on the og SE by the way, not the new one.

Hmm, I don't have a simulator for said OG SE, but I can see how it might happen. We may want to move the embedded video width into CSS so that we can more easily make it smaller when quoted.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

also (double post):

What do people think about an option to use postimages.org instead of imgur for in-app uploads? They look like they’d be much nicer to work with and I’m seeing them used more and more in the wild.

As a user I don't have a lot of loyalty about image hosting; if postimages is working better than imgur these days and seems like they'll continue to host images for free for several more years then they're probably a good fit.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Subjunctive posted:

This is going to be harder to fix than I thought, because the nodes we get back from nodes:matchingSelector in embedVideos seem to all be parented by the <body> of the document, so I can't find their containing posts to check. I could redo embedVideos to first find each post and then check for NWS before embedding contained videos, as probably the easiest path forward. What say you, pokey and carry?

embedVideos is working on an HTML document with just that post's contents. You should have the info you need there?

(This is admittedly confusing and I'm up for a change.)

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I don't have a simulator for said OG SE, but I can see how it might happen. We may want to move the embedded video width into CSS so that we can more easily make it smaller when quoted.

You should be able to create an iPhone SE (1st Generation) simulator in Window > Devices and Simulators.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

As a user I don't have a lot of loyalty about image hosting; if postimages is working better than imgur these days and seems like they'll continue to host images for free for several more years then they're probably a good fit.
Yep, same. I don't give a poo poo where images are hosted unless it's something I might want to delete later, in which case, I'll open the Imgur app and use my account. (This has never happened, but who knows?)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only thing I care about for uploading is that it works consistently, and the built in imgur stuff hasn’t been too great for that because of its account limits. If the other site is better in that regard I’d be delighted.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Midjack posted:

Yeah I don’t care either way as long as it works.

I’ve just been using the shortcut since forever since that seems to be the most consistent.

Although multi image uploading has been broken for a while but that isn’t a huge deal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

embedVideos is working on an HTML document with just that post's contents. You should have the info you need there?

(This is admittedly confusing and I'm up for a change.)

I misunderstood this entirely, thank you.

quote:

You should be able to create an iPhone SE (1st Generation) simulator in Window > Devices and Simulators.

And thank you!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Why does Agenda show up here as a password manager when I tap on the key thing next to the password field? Not really a problem just kinda weird.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It registered itself as a password manager, I’m guessing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Might've been mentioned already, but is Awful iOS 14 ready? Seems like a lot of apps might not be.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Stare-Out posted:

Might've been mentioned already, but is Awful iOS 14 ready? Seems like a lot of apps might not be.

works fine on beta

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

It works fine.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

works fine on beta

LuckyCat posted:

It works fine.

Rad. Thanks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why does Agenda show up here as a password manager when I tap on the key thing next to the password field? Not really a problem just kinda weird.

That key thing uses iOS's sharing feature in an unorthodox way to find installed apps that claim to provide login info. It generally works ok, but my guess is Agenda specified an overly broad description of the kinds of shared items it supports. Maybe they always want Agenda to be an option in the share sheet? They should explicitly say they do not support login items though, unless there's some password management features built into Agenda. Might be worth a quick email to the developer or a post on their forum, if you're feeling it.

Stare-Out posted:

I didn't see anything super broken. Though I just thought of something that might need a fix (http links might work weird with a non-Safari default browser).

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Awful widget when

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

What would it do?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Tell you if you're gay.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

pokeyman posted:

What would it do?

Show me new post counts on my bookmarked threads.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Would like to happily report that Awful works dece on iOS 14 AND the video PIP thingy works as well which, god loving bless.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

pokeyman posted:

What would it do?

Goon roulette - the widget has a 5/6 chance to display the title of a trending thread on the forums, and a 1/6 chance to just display goatse.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can it just be a block that says “Don’t post”?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Clicking here makes all your wildest dreams come true.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pokeyman posted:

What would it do?

Show your quoted posts but not actually work so have some glib thing from the 2000s like “no one thinks anything you’ve said is interesting pokeyman? Isn’t that interesting?” forevereally

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I’d guess there would need to be a proper api for awful to use for a widget to work properly, and that doesn’t exist right now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Scribbling posts works great too. As someone who did absolutely nothing to prepare the app for iOS 14, you’re welcome

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

I’d guess there would need to be a proper api for awful to use for a widget to work properly, and that doesn’t exist right now.

Hasn't stopped us yet!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I should maybe clarify: I'm happy to look at widgets, I just couldn't think of anything sensible or funny to put in them. In iOS 14, widgets seem designed for known time series (weather forecasts, tide charts, calendar events), and they work by waking an app occasionally to provide such a time series. So a weather app can wake up once in the morning, download today's hourly forecast, then feed it to the widget for playback throughout the day without waking the app again. Awful doesn't really fit that, as I dunno how to predict when e.g. posts might appear in a bookmarked thread.

All that said, I haven't actually tried making one, so I could well be missing something!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The_Doctor posted:

Erm. How can I fix this?

Can you just make a widget that showed nothing but these beer doges please and thank you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How about adding a stock ticker as the widget? Just something as unrelated to SA as possible.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah I was half kidding about adding a widget. There’s gotta be some way of adding something fun though.

It’s not allowed as an app icon but maybe our avatars could be scraped from SA and put into a square widget. You could also maybe choose which thread the widget takes you to - like a shortcut. The notes widget can do this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Make the widget a stock ticker for QQ

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just have it show the latest QCS post / thread.

Edit actually having it pull a random post from anyplace on the site could be funny / interesting.

Like a quote of the day kinda thing.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Have it show a countdown until Lowtax fucks off.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Smallish thing, but I was unable to upload an image from library through the app today. First time I’ve tried since iOS update. It was just a screenshot, so it shouldn’t be a size issue.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What if the widget was the front page? Also apparently there is a front page?

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

XBenedict posted:

Smallish thing, but I was unable to upload an image from library through the app today. First time I’ve tried since iOS update. It was just a screenshot, so it shouldn’t be a size issue.

Is it HEIC format? I use this shortcut in the sharesheet for still images to imgur:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/1ee24e34e4e84c8eb56ddc3cc6dde670

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Is it HEIC format? I use this shortcut in the sharesheet for still images to imgur:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/1ee24e34e4e84c8eb56ddc3cc6dde670

No, PNG.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Until the Forums tab broke the other week, I hadn't realized there were still people using Awful on older devices. Admittedly, I didn't try very hard to find out, so that's on me. I've been fairly aggressively increasing the minimum supported iOS version thinking that it'd make me more inclined to work on Awful. Something about not having to support old versions, and maybe if it was easier to use the cool new stuff in newer iOS versions? Anyway, I don't think it had any effect on how much time I put into Awful, so let's call that experiment a failure and support as far back as practical.

tl;dr is there anyone here still using iOS 9, iOS 10, or iOS 11? If you're on the beta, please grab Awful 5.0 when you see it, and let me know if things mostly work. If you're not yet on the beta, check the OP for a link! And if you've abandoned Awful because of the Forums tab breakage, check this version out as it should fix it for you.

I don't promise everything will work perfectly, and that's especially so for old iOS versions that I have zero devices still on, but keeping things running for day-to-day browsing shouldn't be too hard :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

It seems like if I click a link to a different thread, browse, bookmark etc, and then swipe back to the original thread, the posts don’t get marked as read. Going back to my bookmarks and clicking on the newly bookmarked thread takes me to the op.