Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Wait, what, COVID? Wrong.
There's now strains different enough that antibodies aren't effective. It's a flu-like virus, what did you expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

evil_bunnY posted:

There's now strains different enough that antibodies aren't effective. It's a flu-like virus, what did you expect?
This isn’t just your interpretation of people getting reinfected?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This isn’t just your interpretation of people getting reinfected?
I thought I read something about a person getting reinfected with a strain that turned out different. I may be misremembering but I don't think I am?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

evil_bunnY posted:

I thought I read something about a person getting reinfected with a strain that turned out different. I may be misremembering but I don't think I am?

One person, out of millions of cases, got re-infected, possibly. Further, coronavirii have a tendency to induce cross-immunity in any event, but the duration of the immunity is variable.

First hit from "coronavirus cross-immunity": https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987720317874

quote:

Anderson et al used convalescent SARS sera to neutralize SARS-CoV-2 [42], demonstrating cross-neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 by neutralizing antibodies produced against SARS-CoV. Importantly, these neutralizing antibodies persisted for 9–17 years [42], further demonstrating long term immunity against SARS-CoV. Intriguingly, the neutralizing antibodies against the N protein of the two viruses was indistinguishable, suggesting of cross reactivity of antibodies against viral antigens [42].

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/04/science.abd3871.full

quote:

Many unknowns exist about human immune responses to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. SARS-CoV-2 reactive CD4+ T cells have been reported in unexposed individuals, suggesting pre-existing cross-reactive T cell memory in 20-50% of people. However, the source of those T cells has been speculative. Using human blood samples derived before the SARS-CoV-2 virus was discovered in 2019, we mapped 142 T cell epitopes across the SARS-CoV-2 genome to facilitate precise interrogation of the SARS-CoV-2-specific CD4+ T cell repertoire. We demonstrate a range of pre-existing memory CD4+ T cells that are cross-reactive with comparable affinity to SARS-CoV-2 and the common cold coronaviruses HCoV-OC43, HCoV-229E, HCoV-NL63, or HCoV-HKU1. Thus, variegated T cell memory to coronaviruses that cause the common cold may underlie at least some of the extensive heterogeneity observed in COVID-19 disease.

How long does immunity last? https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid...own%20%5B14%5D.

quote:

The longevity of the antibody response is still unknown, but it is known that antibodies to other coronaviruses wane over time (range: 12 – 52 weeks from the onset of symptoms) and homologous re-infections have been shown [14]. SARS-CoV-2 IgM and IgG antibody levels may remain over the course of seven weeks [15] or at least in 80% of the cases until day 49 [16]. In comparison, 90% and 50% of SARS-CoV-1 infected patients have been shown to maintain IgG antibodies for two and three years respectively [17]. In addition, it could be important to detect nasal IgA antibodies, as the serum IgA antibodies were not raised, but IgA persisted in the nasal mucosa one year post-infection for seasonal coronavirus 229E [18].

All of this is known, but you get some goon posting this:

Katt posted:

I was considering paying for a test just out of curiosity but it seems pointless now that it's been thoroughly confirmed that having had it doesn't give you immunity.

So if I get tested and "Had it" I could still get it but if I get tested and don't currently have it then I might have caught it since the test. It changes nothing when it comes to how I should behave in everyday life.

To which I say, "bullshit". Stop loving spreading rumours.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There is a letter to the editor but that in and of itself is NOT the same as a scientific study, which we desperately need.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/IkoAfortiori/status/1304397993534259201?s=19

So, ya think we'll cave or step up?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Randarkman posted:

My test was free. Also taking the test isn't about making sure you had it to see if you are immune, it's making sure I don't have it so I can return to work and not risk infecting everyone and causing the place I work at (a high school) to be locked down with hundreds in quarantine.

Seems kind of pointless when I have no symptoms or reason to believe I have it :v:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The swedes are saying that you can't ask for asylum at an embassy, but have to travel to the border or apply through "proper channels". Sounds like bullshit to me, you can ask for anything, the question is whether it is granted, and is an embassy not by definition sovereign territory, ie it has a border?

Does not bode well.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

thotsky posted:

The swedes are saying that you can't ask for asylum at an embassy, but have to travel to the border or apply through "proper channels". Sounds like bullshit to me, you can ask for anything, the question is whether it is granted, and is an embassy not by definition sovereign territory, ie it has a border?

Does not bode well.

Nah, Utlänningslagen explicitly says that you can only apply for asylum in Sweden proper. Embassies aren't Swedish territory, they are protected and staff often has diplomatic immunity according to international law but it's still the territory of the host nation.

Fader Movitz fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 12, 2020

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Fader Movitz posted:

Quote is not edit.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Fader Movitz posted:

Nah, Utlänningalagen explicitly says that you can only apply for asylum in Sweden proper. Embassies aren't Swedish territory, they are protected and staff often has diplomatic immunity according to international law but it's still the territory of the host nation.

Utlänningslagen is bullshit.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

First Swedes would have to make one of these for asylum seekers to go to.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/edgeblend/status/1305046752706297856?s=20

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

You think they've reached bottom already, but no, now it's apparently obligatory for job centers to ask "non-western" people if they have considered repatriation.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

SplitSoul posted:

You think they've reached bottom already, but no, now it's apparently obligatory for job centers to ask "non-western" people if they have considered repatriation.

"I see here you're a Syrian national. Have you considered moving back? I hear the construction business is set to expand greatly over the next couple of years."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cynic Jester posted:

"I see here you're a Syrian national. Have you considered moving back? I hear the construction business is set to expand greatly over the next couple of years."

I was made aware of this by a person of Somali background, who I'm pretty sure has lived here since birth or at least early childhood.

Edit: Apparently they simply look at a person's name in some places to determine whether they should get the "Get the gently caress out"-speech; in others they "offer" it to anyone with dual or foreign citizenship, even people who have just been reunified or obtained permanent residency permits.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 14, 2020

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

I was made aware of this by a person of Somali background, who I'm pretty sure has lived here since birth or at least early childhood.

Edit: Apparently they simply look at a person's name in some places to determine whether they should get the "Get the gently caress out"-speech; in others they "offer" it to anyone with dual or foreign citizenship, even people who have just been reunified or obtained permanent residency permits.

AAAB, all arbetsförmedlare are bastards.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Potrzebie posted:

AAAB, all arbetsförmedlare are bastards.

Hey now I had a great arbetsförmdlare in my kommun for like 10 years who just wanted me to name 10 places a month where I had asked for a job and demanded nothing what so ever else in the whole world.

He didn't even care which 10 or what line of work they were in. Just 10 names was fine.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What Led Zeppelin were singing about.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

Hey now I had a great arbetsförmdlare in my kommun for like 10 years who just wanted me to name 10 places a month where I had asked for a job and demanded nothing what so ever else in the whole world.

He didn't even care which 10 or what line of work they were in. Just 10 names was fine.

And that uncle who is a cop is also nice. They are still ACAB.

quote:

To bastardize means “to change something in a way that makes it fail to represent the values and qualities that it is intended to represent”; essentially, it means to corrupt. All cops are bastards because they serve a corrupt system, not because of the quality of their own moral character.

unless something went wooooosh just now.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Katt posted:

I had one once who told me to "Get out of this fascist system as fast as possible" (his exact words). I'm still not sure if he just wanted to improve their stats.

gently caress all of them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Potrzebie posted:

And that uncle who is a cop is also nice. They are still ACAB.

unless something went wooooosh just now.
But that doesn't seem to apply here? A job center worker who bends or breaks the rules to improve the experience of the job seeker, unburdening them of bureaucracy so they can focus on getting their life back together is kind of serving the supposed purpose of the job center? (As opposed to the actual job which is to tyrannize.)

Of course, like cops, anyone with the inclinating to ignore the law in favor or serving the people will probably "wash out" eventually.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But that doesn't seem to apply here? A job center worker who bends or breaks the rules to improve the experience of the job seeker, unburdening them of bureaucracy so they can focus on getting their life back together is kind of serving the supposed purpose of the job center? (As opposed to the actual job which is to tyrannize.)

Of course, like cops, anyone with the inclinating to ignore the law in favor or serving the people will probably "wash out" eventually.

Yeah, OK, that's a fair point. A person among the bastards not doing his job but rather what should be his job might not be a bastard. But they will eventually either quit or get fired for not doing the rear end in a top hat-thing.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Katt posted:

Eh it's like this this. I have done that for years and I got money every month. Applied for a job as a football coach in California etc. didn't really matter. Though arbetsförmedlingen is awful and horrible overall.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

von Braun posted:

Eh it's like this this. I have done that for years and I got money every month. Applied for a job as a football coach in California etc. didn't really matter. Though arbetsförmedlingen is awful and horrible overall.

Lol if you've been unemployed and haven't applied for the King of Denmark job that's clearly vacant.

Half the people at jobcenteret and my A-kasse basically understood and were honest about wasting my time with busywork. The other half seemed to genuinely think they were helping me get a job (they weren't). Most conversations were "what you're doing looks good, keep going" "ok, glad I spent two hours for this".

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

von Braun posted:

I used craigslist to search for jobs in USA or kenya or wherever, or like I wrote down the title of the ad, and the company and gave that to my förmedlare. I soon realized I could just turn in a list with fake ads/companies since no one looked into it. My next förmedlare didnt like this but she couldnt do poo poo, not my fault someone pulled the ad from craigslist :shrug:

Yes im looking to move to india, no i dont know poo poo about electronics, why do you ask? Oh the Delhi Electronics job, ehh its a global world!

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 17, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wonder how they're going to get all the office workers back in the office now that they proved it was completely redundant.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Katt posted:

I wonder how they're going to get all the office workers back in the office now that they proved it was completely redundant.

Cake.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fika :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Two ways: make it mandatory, and take advantage of everyone who likes keeping life and work separate. Also those of us who don't have a mansion with two office spaces and/or live our entire lives in front of a computer.

For those of us who have a lot of meetings, formal and informal, it's also a huge advantage having everyone physically close.

In Denmark there's actually some pesky work safety rules that means that your home office must be ergonomic, which translates to most home offices being illegal (for the employer). During the pandemic, force majeure applies, but under normal circumstances, if you work from home, your employer must provide a proper chair and table. And no employer is doing that.

Hi, I'm probably headed for management with the way I defend going to work.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

permanent work from home is going to be very lucrative for the bosses and complete death on everyone else as well as any hope of a coherent labour movement. i sincerely hope that we avoid it

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Cake works for where I work.
No distance workers here (since we probably achieved herd immunity in the company).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

permanent work from home is going to be very lucrative for the bosses and complete death on everyone else as well as any hope of a coherent labour movement. i sincerely hope that we avoid it

It's a very complicated question and the status-quo of basically it being the wild west isn't sustainable. We've gone from certain office professions distance working some days of the week to offices virtually being a thing of the past in some fields. There's a really bad need for hard regulation and hard government oversight to make it clear to employees what they can demand.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

White collar workers were always destined to betray the workers revolution at the moment of truth.

Fika is for workers. Office tjänstemän can eat havreflarn in hell.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BonHair posted:

In Denmark there's actually some pesky work safety rules that means that your home office must be ergonomic, which translates to most home offices being illegal (for the employer). During the pandemic, force majeure applies, but under normal circumstances, if you work from home, your employer must provide a proper chair and table. And no employer is doing that.

At my workplace, the solution to that issue has been to draft a Work From Home contract, which states that the company will provide an internet connection, a laptop with docking station, a keyboard and mouse and any cables you need. I can't remember if a monitor is also included, but we have so many extras standing around that I bet everyone who actually needs one and is fine with 1080p can just take one.

But you have to supply your own chair, desk and adequate lighting. Basically any decent office chair is fine, it just can't be some kitchen stool or whatever. At least in my section, people have been encouraged to bring their office chair home if they like it, and then sort of "well, we can't have no chair in the office, we'll order a new one".

I would have loved for the company to sponsor an expensive office chair and desk, but I also realize doing that for 5000+ people working from home is a pretty tall order.

(But we do have enough chairs that nobody would notice one missing :ssh:)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 17, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I would have loved for the company to sponsor an expensive office chair and desk, but I also realize doing that for 5000+ people working from home is a pretty tall order.

(But we do have enough chairs that nobody would notice one missing :ssh:)

I know of one company of that size that does that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cardiac posted:

I know of one company of that size that does that.

Probably one that's doing a lot better than the one I work at.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If it's in Denmark, Arbejdstilsynet is technically allowed to inspect your workplace, including home office, and of it's not up to spec the company is liable. Of course, this probably doesn't ever happen even without the pandemic.

I also borrowed a chair from my job for the first lockdown, and didn't give it back until a couple of weeks after it ended, despite quitting like a month before. No one noticed...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Our company had home offices before the pandemic but then one guy had a heart attack at work and no one found him until his wife came home. At which point he was thoroughly dead.

So the company rented offices all over the country and merged a bunch of home offices into 3-4 man offices. If someone was alone in their region then they were put into an "office hotel" so they share a lunch room with other people.

We also have a problem with people having home offices working outside regular work hours to get higher quotas and so increase their monthly pay. Management started monitoring when people log into "the system" outside of regular work hours and if people make it a habit then they threaten to lock down the system all together outside of regular work hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

MiddleOne posted:

It's a very complicated question and the status-quo of basically it being the wild west isn't sustainable. We've gone from certain office professions distance working some days of the week to offices virtually being a thing of the past in some fields. There's a really bad need for hard regulation and hard government oversight to make it clear to employees what they can demand.

Well, thank the Lord we have strong social democratic government in Denmark whose first concern is exactly worker rights. I’m sure they’ll be right on it... aaany minute now... wait, I’m being told that they are in fact NOT on it and will, as usual, be against reasonable governmental oversight of anything and just let the market handle it instead :smith:

Edit: I’ve been ordered to work from home which is a gargantuan pain in my rear end. Better than being fired though I guess.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 18, 2020