Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hungry posted:

I completely ignored it until I saw one review that said "hey this show is actually a parody of the genre, ignore what everyone else says."

I think calling it a parody is a credit and it's an unintentional comedy but I also did not watch much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shaman King Staff

Director: Jouji Furuta (The Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of The Commandment)
Series Composer: Shoji Yonemura (Parasyte -the maxim-)
Character Designer: Satohiko Sano (Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun)
Music: Yuki Hayashi (My Hero Academia)
Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Returning from 2001 series)
Music Production: King Records
Animation Production: Bridge

Katsuyuki Konishi, Megumi Hayashibara, and Minami Takayama are returning from the original anime as Amidamaru, Anna, and Hao, and Yoh has been recast with Yoko Hisaka

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess you could make an argument for tsutomu mizushima's earlier work on another being unintentionally comical, given him being a prolific and notable comedy director and another being an adaptation of a novel, but considering how actively mayoiga as an original anime project plays up everything people found comedic in that show's direction i really doubt it's entirely unintentional

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like FFXVI is the first time (not counting XIV expansions) that I've seen Square wait until they had more than a bare concept trailer to show before announcing a big Final Fantasy.....maybe ever? I remember XIII, XIV 1.0, Versus/XV, VIIR all being announced with big flashy CG trailers that had next to nothing to do with the final product but XVI's obviously had a lot of serious work put in already.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I groan a little bit every time I remember that FF15 was originally supposed to be part of the FF13 extended universe and come out around the same time and be called Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marvel Versus XIII

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Square has obviously learned from how FFXIII only ended up breaking even and how XIV 1.0 went but also I kinda of want to see what peak 00's excess Square would do on a next Gen console/Gefoces 3080

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
they'd do Everybody Loves Lightning

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

they'd do Everybody Loves Lightning

Lightning Returns was good, so sure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not like lightning was the source of all problems with ffxiii. she's just the main character of a trilogy of games that got a mixed reception due to many complications in their development process

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

mayoiga is a parody that everyone on earth took at face value for some reason

At least for me, it is because none of the "fantastical" elements that are (apparently) supposed to lead you to believe that aren't really that fantastical. Like I said, I'm only off ep 3, but so far, none of the writing or characterization seems out of place. It just seems bad. Maybe there are more hints later? I don't know.

But it isn't some absurdity that a group of maladjusted loners would all exhibit the worst traits of basic anime archetypes. The fact that it's playing itself completely straight doesn't help in a medium that plays absurd poo poo straight all the time. :shrug: (And you shouldn't have to go into metacommentary to get that.)

I'll still probably watch the whole thing because I'm in quarantine and don't have much else to do. So, at least I'll have a better perspective to complain about it later. :v:

Edit: The opening is kind of a banger, at least.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 17, 2020

KoB
May 1, 2009
Horimiya getting a proper adaption finally.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

At least for me, it is because none of the "fantastical" elements that are (apparently) supposed to lead you to believe that aren't really that fantastical. Like I said, I'm only off ep 3, but so far, none of the writing or characterization seems out of place. It just seems bad. Maybe there are more hints later? I don't know.

But it isn't some absurdity that a group of maladjusted loners would all exhibit the worst traits of basic anime archetypes. The fact that it's playing itself completely straight doesn't help in a medium that plays absurd poo poo straight all the time. :shrug: (And you shouldn't have to go into metacommentary to get that.)

I'll still probably watch the whole thing because I'm in quarantine and don't have much else to do. So, at least I'll have a better perspective to complain about it later. :v:

Edit: The opening is kind of a banger, at least.

I recently rewatched this, and I definitely don't think that it plays itself completely straight. The first episode especially is so full of absurd scenes and weird lines that the only way it could have made the comedy angle more clear is by adding slide whistles.

I mean, it's still a bad show that runs out of steam before the halfway point and ends on a wet fart, but the tonal switcheroo is pretty clear in retrospect.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah idk my biggest complaint with mayoiga is just that its humor kinda runs dry too early

it was still the better mari okada show in that season between it and kiznaiver though, if only because kiznaiver frustrated me more

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok, I just hit the giant penguin-amalgamation thing. Now, I'm getting it.

Also, for the record, I'm probably missing alot with my ignorance of Japanese folk songs/poems/horror stories. I just don't have a frame of reference for the weird rear end limericks they've been pumping out since the beginning. And I wouldn't be surprised if they're just plays on stuff most folks would know.

Edit: lol. Silicone implants for height? Alright. I'm on board now.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 17, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

It looks cool, imo, but I really hope they release a completed game this time

They're not going to run into the same development hell and production problems FF15 had simply because the technology and design are mature now in a way they weren't at the time. They also have a very experienced and competent team on this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

the XIII trilogy rocks

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/nogoldenapples/status/1305808777963343879

https://twitter.com/VoldeMordred/status/1305922824528211968

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Old meme. There are currently 66 precures, plus a couple mascot precures, plus the entire human race (thanks Hugtto).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nice repost

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

How many times am I going to see that loving tweet

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

people who show me stuff ive seen already should be killed on sight

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's new to me. Thanks for the tweet

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the original tweet about Kancolle shipgirls?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hell yeah

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Speaking of things everyone else has already seen I just blitzed through Toradora and enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. After finishing I found out I yet again watched another Okada show without realizing and ended up liking it. The weather this week did an abrupt switch to pre-winter which matched pretty well with the back half of the series.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't the original tweet about Kancolle shipgirls?

the kancolle one is actually a shop of the precure one, i learned the other day looking it up. the precure one is actually like a decade old now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Old meme. There are currently 66 precures, plus a couple mascot precures, plus the entire human race (thanks Hugtto).
+ the entire galaxy (star twinkle)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Me, a jrpg final boss: "Oh you want to save humanity because you like them? Name every human who's ever lived."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

greetings, char

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

the kancolle one is actually a shop of the precure one, i learned the other day looking it up. the precure one is actually like a decade old now
Oh, I did not know that. Good ta' know!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

homeless snail posted:

glad to know i am a precure

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Also Robot Precures!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also Robot Precures!

Near as I can tell, there are no rules regarding that anymore. Adults can be Precure, men can be Precure, robots can be Precure, fairies can be Precure, space aliens can be Precure, and whatever Asumi from the current season qualifies as can be Precure as well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

literally anyone can be a precure

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Where do I sign up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Where do I sign up
in a form of a check or money order made out to bandai

El Burbo