Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
We don’t have the book 9 title, right? So it’s that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
They’re breaking from the tradition of each book having a distinct naming scheme. Book nine is titled Tiamat’s Anger Management Therapy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Leviathan Falls

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Won't be out by the end of the year, unfortunately.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Finally, the sequel to Gravity Falls and Wonderfalls we’ve all been craving

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Uh shouldn’t it be Leviathan Falls Asleep???

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
My brain saw Leviathan ****s and went, well, I guess it's nice that they're putting out a new edition of the first novel. Thankfully they're not splitting it in two. Tiamat already left me with some serious 'please get on with it' vibes.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Just had a random prediction pop into my head for how they leave the setting: the gate network is destroyed or otherwise rendered inoperative, but not before all of humanity is somehow (natural breakthrough from studying precursor tech, or NotMiller comes back with a last gift, take your pick) granted FTL technology – promising eventual reconciliation via more "traditional" space opera style interstellar travel. Presumably of the slower variety as that fits better thematically.

I don't love it but it would be kind of interesting?

Also,

bitprophet posted:

They're breaking from the tradition of each book having a distinct naming scheme.
Half called it? :v:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

My personal speculation with no basis is the gates are definitely gonna become unusable or at least heavily restricted by some kind of peace deal with the Goths, and the titular "expanse" is now a solid chunk of the Milky Way with little human seeds scattered all across it that have to revert to STL travel rather than the Solar System or gate network

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crazycryodude posted:

My personal speculation with no basis is the gates are definitely gonna become unusable or at least heavily restricted by some kind of peace deal with the Goths, and the titular "expanse" is now a solid chunk of the Milky Way with little human seeds scattered all across it that have to revert to STL travel rather than the Solar System or gate network

So... Sol goes back to the way it was in Book 1, and everything else is so far away that it might as well not exist? Feels too tidy.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Isn't that more or less how the Foundation trilogy started out? Bunch of discrete human settlements cut off and scattered around?

It'd be tidy, if not also a bit disappointing, for this series, but it'd be an interesting premise for something new. Like a twist on the Dark Forest theory.

Imagine the pressure on a society that knows it's not alone, and knows if it doesn't outcompete rival societies, if and when they reconnect it could be a disaster. But it's millennia away, if ever, and people are people so...

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
I'm picturing an epilogue from the PoV of the protomolecule, stumbled upon by some other alien race hundreds/thousands of years in the future, describing it building a ring for them, then ending with the phrase "It reaches out."

it won't be that, I'm sure, but that'd be pretty cool imo

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Enigma posted:

Isn't that more or less how the Foundation trilogy started out? Bunch of discrete human settlements cut off and scattered around?

It'd be tidy, if not also a bit disappointing, for this series, but it'd be an interesting premise for something new. Like a twist on the Dark Forest theory.

Imagine the pressure on a society that knows it's not alone, and knows if it doesn't outcompete rival societies, if and when they reconnect it could be a disaster. But it's millennia away, if ever, and people are people so...

They gave a VERY firm no to the question of them continuing to write in the universe, for what that's worth

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah, which was in my head as I wrote that. It'd be a good setup but a disappointing end if it's really the end.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Enigma posted:

Nah, while interstellar travel and communication decline with the fall of the empire in Foundation, nobody gets isolated the way the human colonies of the Expanse would be without the gate network. It's more Balkanization than isolation.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
I don't see the gate network going down because there doesn't seem to be very many self sufficient colony worlds even after the big 6 to 7 time skip. Unless book 9 lasts a very long time shutting down the gate network would kill off the majority of colonies with small populations that don't have extensive terraforming, unless they're going to quickly advance and distribute that one colony's promising "universal Earth food generator" thing that was hinted at. Or have an extra sad and depressing ending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I also feel like rebooting the setting by closing off the gate network is kind of boring and undoes the books that have come before it. I hope it doesn't happen.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, as much as "ending the story in the same way/situation it began" is such a common trope, that doesn't mean it's a good one.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

It wouldn't really be the same at all though. And if we're talking lame tropes, "humanity is only able to go to the stars via alien tech" is one of the lamest imo. Humanity having to make its own way without relying on the genocide-based works of an "elder race" seems more satisfying to me than just using the gate network forever.

Interstellar travel is more interesting without ftl anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If they discover the underlying principle and set up their own, different travel method, that would be a pretty good capstone to the series.

Zartosht posted:

Interstellar travel is more interesting without ftl anyway.

So, from a practical standpoint, not having it

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Better ending would be humans reverse engineer the gateway tech, start building them, and then whatever killed the engineers takes notice and shows up and kills humanity.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
They already took notice

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
cool

https://greenroninstore.com/collections/latest-releases/products/ships-of-the-expanse

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-expanse...I7wdSIuKVBR3Tjw

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

on the one hand, dope for kicking out Anvar. on the other hand, what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck only six seasons?!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ending with the next season is disappointing, but at least the end of Book 6 is a natural stopping point for the story (assuming the next two seasons basically do Books 5 and 6), so hopefully it'll feel complete.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
drat, that sucks. Books 7 and 8 (and hopefully 9) are the most interesting parts of the series.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I always assumed they'd end on book 6. I'd love them to adapt the later books, but book 6 is very much a solid ending point. People have pointed out that the nine expanse books are basically three trilogies, but the first trilogy kind of just sets things up and needs the second trilogy to give any sort of payoff. Which it does. The third trilogy is much more separate.

That said, it's separate enough that I could see them doing that story as a spinoff series at some point in the future if there's still interest in the world of the Expanse.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Unless they're going to try to compress the Laconia story into this season people who don't read the books are going to be ripshit they introduced the aliens who killed the ring builders stuff and then just drop it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Eiba posted:

That said, it's separate enough that I could see them doing that story as a spinoff series at some point in the future if there's still interest in the world of the Expanse.

yeah i'm wondering if they'll maybe do an Amazon Exclusive movie or something, because if they don't:

Grand Fromage posted:

Unless they're going to try to compress the Laconia story into this season people who don't read the books are going to be ripshit they introduced the aliens who killed the ring builders stuff and then just drop it.

:mad:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ending with Book 6 makes sense for the human story, which has a fine ending point then, but unless they massively rewrite events there's going to be no pay off for the Laconia set-up they are doing or the larger meta narrative of the Romans and their history.

Weird choice. But I guess going in knowing its the end means they might rewrite it massively to conclude the mystery some.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Maybe we'll get 7-9 in 30 years when the actors have aged up.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just finished all the books including the novellas and wanted your thoughts:

Last flight of the Cassandra: I didn’t really get the point of this one. I read them all in “as published” order which means I read this right after book 8 but don’t remember any references to Martian religious sects or sacrifices or anything. The only thing I really got out of this is that before the MCR, there was the male symbol, which haha men are from Mars.

Did I miss one of these characters or something else?

Auberon: I enjoyed this one so do people think this was Erich’s send off? Or do we think Auberon will be part of the resolution in book 9?

Out of all the novellas I liked Butcher, although I can’t at this point remember anything specific about it. The TV series did a reasonable job with this backstory before I read it.

Strange dogs was really nice to read before book 7/8 and laid a lot of groundwork. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did, lots of world building.

Finally I of course liked The Churn because of the world building and backstory there :)

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Hed posted:

Last flight of the Cassandra: I didn’t really get the point of this one. I read them all in “as published” order which means I read this right after book 8 but don’t remember any references to Martian religious sects or sacrifices or anything. The only thing I really got out of this is that before the MCR, there was the male symbol, which haha men are from Mars.

Did I miss one of these characters or something else?

This was a stretch goal for the RPG Kickstarter, was supposed to just be a little story in the setting and nothing more (and IIRC won't be reprinted when they do the collection of all of them)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Ending at 6 seems a weird decision, but after seeing that one clip of Holden and Fred, I feel like Season 6 may be an abridged version of the later books.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was just coming to post that.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-expanses-first-season-5-clip-hints-at-cosmic-troubl-1845742772

If they're going this hard on the ringspace aliens I can't imagine they're going to end the show with book six. Why would they have dropped Laconia and Duarte into 4 and be focusing on the 7-9 story and then just not do it? Even if they didn't know 6 was going to be their last season, they're going to have to compress to address this. That or they're real confident about getting a couple movies or something.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That or season 6 will end with the reveal that Marco IS the aliens.

And then Holden was a zombie.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Pull a twin peaks

do books 7-9 30 years from now with the same actors

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Duarte takes a fleet into the ring but fucks up his calculations and they all get eaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is there a new OP or has no one truly said anything until Season 5 landing today?

I'm still only in the first episode, but my hope is still that the show writers manage to make Marco and Fillip not be comic book dunce villains, much like they made Afford into a relatable "villain" for the show.