Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dublish posted:

That would be because the 'regions' are custom defined for a number of different mechanics and are not always mutually exclusive, so they're buried in the game files with no way to easily see them. There are Mongol Conquest regions, Great Holy War Target regions, Roman province regions, regions for elephants and camels...

Well that makes sense, although they should probably remove the "click to view" prompt when mousing over a region in the innovations tab then. Or better yet fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Raiders are a rail pain when you control a lot of territory, I can never get there in time without ridiculous numbers of rally points.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

Raiders are a rail pain when you control a lot of territory, I can never get there in time without ridiculous numbers of rally points.

Just move your existing rally point right next to them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

By temple baron i mean the character owning a temple as a subdomain in a county

This isn't possible in a theocratic clerical tradition as far as I can tell, all of your temple holdings are leased to your realm priest, who cannot be given land. The only way I believe it may be possible to make them is if the "county capital" holding is occupied by a temple, which is only possible if it was there at game start.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 17, 2020

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Magil Zeal posted:

Just move your existing rally point right next to them.

Oh cool, thanks. At first it felt a bit exploit-y but it's totally fine because rally points fundamentally don't make sense.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Is there any good reason to make a republican vassal in CK3? In 2 it was often a good idea to make a MR vassal for the sweet tax benefits, and maybe a regular one as well, but I don't have enough of a handle on the economy in 3 to judge yet.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Am I missing something with holy wars?

As the Coptic Malik of Egypt I won a holy war vs the Abassids for Jerusalem. I'm still under confederate partition so getting a full kingdom is actually kinda bad but if I can judiciously assign titles it won't be a big issue in a few years.

However, if I'm forced to vassalize the muslim rulers I've created a huge headache for nothing.

I occupied all the territories in the kingdom (and some outside of it). I think anyway, the map isn't always totally clear.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

Oh cool, thanks. At first it felt a bit exploit-y but it's totally fine because rally points fundamentally don't make sense.

I mean it is kinda exploity, especially since all of your men at arms and knights can essentially teleport to any of your rally points and you can use them right away, without waiting for levies to gather. But it is a thing that's in the game at the moment, and there's really no "natural" way to use MAA and knights afaik, unless you just wanna set your rally point to your capital and only ever use it.

Quorum posted:

Is there any good reason to make a republican vassal in CK3? In 2 it was often a good idea to make a MR vassal for the sweet tax benefits, and maybe a regular one as well, but I don't have enough of a handle on the economy in 3 to judge yet.

Republican vassals provide a flat 20% tax and 10% levies. That's slightly more tax than you would normally get from a feudal vassal, so I guess it's not a terrible idea? But it's not gonna be like a CK2 Merchant Republic and provide you with gold equaling half of your feudal vassals or anything. City holdings are somewhat useful in vassal counties if they're of your culture, since they'll spread development, but you probably don't want them in your own counties, you want them a few levels below you.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 17, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone else noticed their vassals are marrying their heirs to 50+ year old women?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone else noticed their vassals are marrying their heirs to 50+ year old women?

Yup, I've had several vassal families die out because they betrothed their 9 year old son to a 41 year old

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Technowolf posted:

How is a straight line complicated?

Because I made sure almost every duchy is held by a family member before making the swap. :v:

Broken Cog posted:

Marriage ai in general is broken, along with female dominated religions/realms not using matrilineal....this is something I really hope gets patched.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Do both starting dates end at 1453 or does the 876 starting date have an earlier end date?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

sdr782 posted:

Do both starting dates end at 1453 or does the 876 starting date have an earlier end date?

They all end at 1453 unless you disable the end date in game options.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Incelshok Na posted:

Am I missing something with holy wars?

As the Coptic Malik of Egypt I won a holy war vs the Abassids for Jerusalem. I'm still under confederate partition so getting a full kingdom is actually kinda bad but if I can judiciously assign titles it won't be a big issue in a few years.

However, if I'm forced to vassalize the muslim rulers I've created a huge headache for nothing.

I occupied all the territories in the kingdom (and some outside of it). I think anyway, the map isn't always totally clear.

the results of a holy war are based on your doctrine. if you have pluralism you vassalize other religions

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

violent sex idiot posted:

the results of a holy war are based on your doctrine. if you have pluralism you vassalize other religions

That would do it! Thanks.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

My character really needs to start asking some questions.

Just kidding his first wife was Nubian but it looks interesting out of context

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to help my vassals not get constant peasant rebellions?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Treat the peasants better

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Treat the peasants better

'tis but the rabble's lot to serve me

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Excelzior posted:

oh man I must be missing something because to me bohemia 867 is an absolute garbage start

who the gently caress wants to start mid-way through feudalization, with the wrong religion, surrounded by karlings, set to inherit TRIBAL HOLDINGS and lose your castles

holy poo poo it is bad

It's not just me, thank god. I also somehow inherited an offensive war against East Francia, wtf AI heir??

I got questions for the thread:
1. where the mines at? how do you find where special buildings can be built in general?
2. If I implement single heir succession the old-fashioned way (aka through "accidents" and disinheritance) is there a point in being a king? I'd rather own multiple duchy titles

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Being a generous party liege rules all I do is lie around the castle gesturing vaguely at my smiling vassals as to where they should direct their huge tax payments and then go get hammered with my council.

The silver mines at Caslav really make Bohemia easy mode if you just wanna be a content king.

I'm a third generation Famous Reveler. Really hoping to follow in dad's footsteps and become a Legendary Reveler.

I think I'll name my next son Čad.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 18, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Peasant revolts are a good source of dread or forced champions (they are usually worse than the invited ones but better than the random nobles who throw on a suit of armor when you're low)

Arglebargle III posted:

Being a generous party liege rules all I do is lie around the castle gesturing vaguely at my smiling vassals as to where they should direct their huge tax payments and then go get hammered with my council.

Obesity though :smith:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have had the good fortune of two generations of Temperate Famous Revelers. The first wasn't temperate but he was Whole of Body and lived to 80.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I took the tenet that gives you piety when hosting a feast and I love it

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I still don't understand who can be a beneficiary of a crusade? About the only thing I can gather is that they can't be related to you?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How do I deal with Catholic Sweden as pagan, tribal finland?
They took a strip of land on the west coast and they got twice the number of troops as I do. :ohdear:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man I forgot the insane sadistic murderer who was the son of the first Party Liege. I eventually let him out of the dungeon but took his kids away from him. He murdered his own mother!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

wet_goods posted:

I still don't understand who can be a beneficiary of a crusade? About the only thing I can gather is that they can't be related to you?

Someone of your dynasty who isn’t on any inheritance list I think?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Anyone experiment with breeding ugly people together to make the ugliest possible liege? Not "has the trait" ugly, but just "what is wrong with your head" ugly.

Also, still no word on what's up with "disparate tribes"?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

This isn't possible in a theocratic clerical tradition as far as I can tell, all of your temple holdings are leased to your realm priest, who cannot be given land. The only way I believe it may be possible to make them is if the "county capital" holding is occupied by a temple, which is only possible if it was there at game start.

Maybe im wrong but it looks to me like its just like granting counties to city vassals

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gregarious seems like a god-tier trait, even better than it was in CK2. You lose a ridiculous amount of stress at feasts, and at least in my game I'm getting invited to feasts constantly. You'd have to do something crazy to get a mental break.

Compassionate I think secretly kind of sucks, it seems like the worst of the standard virtues. So much stuff stresses you out.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Excelzior posted:

oh man I must be missing something because to me bohemia 867 is an absolute garbage start

who the gently caress wants to start mid-way through feudalization, with the wrong religion, surrounded by karlings, set to inherit TRIBAL HOLDINGS and lose your castles

holy poo poo it is bad

It’s a hard start yeah. But once past that initial speed bump, you’re a six counties powerhouse.

buglord posted:

Is there any way to change my religion fast? I don't see it in the decisions menu but im sure there's a way to force myself into catholicism.

The way I did it is through marrying a catholic and choosing adopt faith. Didn’t know we could just go through the religion tab lol

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ok, this kind of sucks. I opened the game earlier this afternoon and resumed my ironman to find that it started 3 years earlier than I ended when I played last. It was 1013 instead of 1016. I played through to 1020 and then quit, now I start up the game and resume and it's loving 1011!!

Uncool!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I had save game fuckery with Gamepass and cloud saves, I turned that poo poo off.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Maybe im wrong but it looks to me like its just like granting counties to city vassals

City holdings have real baron-tier owners, giving them a county-level title is easy. Under a theocratic clerical tradition, a realm priest leases all of your temples (though they are still "owned" by you if you look hard enough), and you cannot give land to a realm priest. There's nobody to give the county title to.

The exception to this seems to be if a county starts with a temple in the county capital holding slot. In that case you can grant the county to anybody and they will become a theocratic vassal. It doesn't seem to be possible to change the county capital to a temple though if you are following the theocratic clerical tradition.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

I had save game fuckery with Gamepass and cloud saves, I turned that poo poo off.

How do I do that?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's a toggle button in the save screen labeled cloud saves

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

There's a toggle button in the save screen labeled cloud saves

Thank you!

e: hmm, I can't seem to figure out how to disable cloud save for an already in progress ironman game, since there is no access to the Save menu.

How are u fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 18, 2020

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Haestinn is just easy custom kingdom game.
I took over Morocco, executed the resulting captives, unlocked Apostate and switched to Digambara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Wooper posted:

Haestinn is just easy custom kingdom game.
I took over Morocco, executed the resulting captives, unlocked Apostate and switched to Digambara.

yeah that's how he played in ck2 as well. just carve yourself a nice starting chunk of land wherever you want and then go hog wild