Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

muscles like this! posted:

The second book is definitely when it became clear that Rothfuss had no clue what he was doing. The first book was an okay fantasy novel but the second book is terrible with awful pacing and story.

otoh I absolutely loved The Slow Regard of Silent Things, so I don’t know what the hell is going on with that guy.

I like to imagine that the Kingkiller fans hated it, but I’m sure they lapped that up as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

drat it, you ruined the surprise!

:negative:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Kvothe is such a dumb name, too. I keep wanting to pronounce it like "covfefe" every time I see it in the thread.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Chicken Butt posted:

And then he visits Sex Faerieland and gets schooled by a Sex Faerie, after which he is also The Best at Sex. Then he visits Sex Ninjaland and learns to be The Greatest Warrior, and also has lots of casual sex with Sex Ninjas, because, as the author is at pains to illustrate, the Sex Ninjas have the correct, utopian view of sexuality, which is that guys like Rothfuss should get to have lots of sex with hot, athletic warriors without all of that inconvenient "intimacy" and pedestrian "courting" that less-enlightened humans insist upon.

The several chapters where he was learning sex moves from the cruel but dtf faerie queen lasted an eternity. It was awful.

I also love that the title of the trilogy (and roughly a billion other things) helpfully informs you that the climax of the trilogy is going to be Covfefe’s arch nemesis inheriting the throne, doing something horrible to his lady love (presumably in a supremely vile away), and C performing the requisite killing of the king.

I’d spoiler that, but if you haven’t figured it out on your own by now, then I assume your goldfish brain has already forgotten what you just read.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Chicken Butt posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, because I found this there ... from his review of the first Hobbit movie. I said "holy poo poo" out loud several times while reading this. This guy has serious issues.

... but then again, what I've learned from this thread is that it would far easier to make a list of fantasy writers who aren't Sex Weirdos than it would be to do the opposite.

That’s some Ernie Cline levels of gross.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://mobile.twitter.com/r_a_salvatore/status/1038115855190634496?lang=en

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

That’s some Ernie Cline levels of gross.

J. Geils Band did it better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Terry Goodkind's Facebook page has announced he has passed away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What's the name of that super poorly written fantasy story that the writer seems to think they can't use the same word twice? Lords of Argon or something?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

What's the name of that super poorly written fantasy story that the writer seems to think they can't use the same word twice? Lords of Argon or something?

Eye of Argon?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:sotw:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

He’s violently murdering pacifists in heaven now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ill be honest ive written a novel before and the main way you can avoid putting pervy stuff in is just having your jerking off time be distinct from your writing time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"But thats my secret cap, Im always jerkin" - Patrick Rothfuss

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ill be honest ive written a novel before and the main way you can avoid putting pervy stuff in is just having your jerking off time be distinct from your writing time

How was it?

E. The novel

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I just think it's neat so many people ITT read Market Forces. Good book although I didn't know Morgan was a TERF.

"Used to be it was good enough just to get there first."

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Slippery posted:

I just think it's neat so many people ITT read Market Forces. Good book although I didn't know Morgan was a TERF.

"Used to be it was good enough just to get there first."

Morgan’s one of the guys that I was shocked about for a second, then thought, “oh wait of course he is.”

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Inverted Icon posted:

How was it?

E. The novel

everyone who has read it really liked it, but its impossible to promote a book at the moment because of how many ebooks and poo poo there are now. amazon are shitheads and you need 50 reviews to be eligible to put your book into promotional events and sales, but getting 50 reviews is like pulling teeth

im gonna relaunch it with a new cover and spend some money to actually advertise it properly fairly soon. i also dont really want to associate it with my SA account, which is annoying cause it'd be better promotion than i'm getting at the moment

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hm. That's good to know, since I'm in the aim of getting my writing online soon too. I was thinking of gunning for the Patreon route, but I know that can be an uncomfortable pressure if not managed smartly.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bro Dad posted:

Shame dude is a super TERF which you can kinda see in the books

a future where you can have any body you want but is still obsessed with gender binaries :psyduck:

edit: I'm a dumbass and I was thinking of the Altered Carbon RPG that was crowdfunded earlier this year, but I'll leave this up as a monument to my lovely memory

there's an transhuman RPG called eclipse phase where even though everyone exists as pure information divorced from their original birth body, and can have any body they want at will (aside from supply and demand issues), the writers have established that there are only two situations where you would ever use a body with a sex other than your original birth sex:

1. you need a specific body type for a task and there's none available at the time that matches your birth sex
2. you are a decadent rich person doing it for a thrill

I'm honestly not sure how TERF philosophy survives contact with the idea that one's sense of self has nothing to do with the original body they were born in, since that seems to even further devalue the idea of a birth sex, but here we are

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 18, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BattleMaster posted:

there's an transhuman RPG called eclipse phase where even though everyone exists as pure information divorced from their original birth body, and can have any body they want at will (aside from supply and demand issues), the writers have established that there are only two situations where you would ever use a body with a sex other than your original birth sex:

1. you need a specific body type for a task and there's none available at the time that matches your birth sex
2. you are a decadent rich person doing it for a thrill

I'm honestly not sure how TERF philosophy survives contact with the idea that one's sense of self has nothing to do with the original body they were born in, since that seems to even further devalue the idea of a birth sex, but here we are

It doesn't say that at all, what an odd thing to make up

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I didn't make it up, necessarily, I screwed up; I went back and looked up the posts in the Tradgames kickstarter thread from months ago and I misremembered them. They were talking about the Altered Carbon RPG. The conversation dipped into Eclipse Phase and wires got crossed in my head.

So I was wrong; I remember that Eclipse Phase does have some mentions of people body swapping into bodies they dislike out of necessity and people who body swap because they're weird pervs - both of which come up in the Eclipse Phase 1E core book opening fiction and both of which came up in the discussion, but were about something else altogether.

I'm obviously an idiot for uncritically repeating something from my faulty memory of something I read a while ago. I probably got confused because who the hell would be into transhumanism and still be some kind of weird gender essentialism.

edit: of course the Altered Carbon guy is British, that just makes too much sense

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 18, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Also there was this FATAL and Friends post from Eclipse Phase 2E which gets a little weird about gender: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758962&pagenumber=1124#post497191403

Which probably added to my weird memory of it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ahhh ok. Fwiw I just checked the ep opening fiction and it has an agent waking up in a female body because that was what was available after his previous body got killed, it's not really noted otherwise. And the altered carbon rpg doesn't seem to be out until November from a quick Google.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Can anyone recommend some good fantasy adventure books to spite these bad ones? Looking for a simple adventure, old ruins and dungeons would be nice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gideon the ninth is great

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Gideon the Ninth is marketed pretty... shakily, though. Should've emphasized the cookie-cutter YA elements and not the cool elements that barely feature. But it's not really an 'old ruins and dungeon' story. It's like Homestuck + Warhammer 40k + Twitter memes.

Black August posted:

Hm. That's good to know, since I'm in the aim of getting my writing online soon too. I was thinking of gunning for the Patreon route, but I know that can be an uncomfortable pressure if not managed smartly.

Oh, hey, something I can contribute to.

I wrote three novels worth of web serial over two years. It got a lot of positive reviews, readership numbers that beat pretty much every web serial that wasn't by one of the really established people, #1 for a few weeks on TopWebFiction's overall rankings, and so on. I even spoke to some publishers about it, and I'm now in the process of rewriting it into a format that's more a trilogy of self-contained novels than a meandering, sprawling serial.

All in all, it earned me about sixty bucks over the year I had a Patreon up.

Don't go the Patreon route. The biggest difficulty with online fiction you're going to have is getting people to even read your stuff in the first place. It seems counter-intuitive, but people are more willing to pay 4.99 for something bad on Amazon than take a punt on something that's free. Paywalling via Patreon is therefore extremely counter-productive. The online writers who make decent money on Patreon either have years of work ethic behind them and a once-in-a-lifetime fanbase (Wildbow) or they're playing to market and offering up to, like, fifty chapters ahead via tier benefits. Some of the personalities may, in fact, be more than one person.

Realistically, your options are to:

a. Play to the online fiction market. That means LitRPGs, xianxia, isekai, harem, Omegaverse, erotica, anime elves, with dragons, etc. whatever garbage that idiots pay money for even when they admit it is garbage. In that case, you might as well skip Patreon and go right to Kindle Unlimited.

b. Sack up and focus on writing something good and go through the traditional model.

More to the point, the online fiction ecosystem isn't nearly as healthy as it was a few years ago. It was decaying when I entered it and I'd argue it's basically dead now. The biggest site for connecting people to indie online fiction (WebFictionGuide) is closing down. The only sites left are places like RoyalRoad (LitRPGs, etc - big money if you play to the market and get lucky) or Wattpad (romance, etc) that have really specific tastes. I've had publishers tell me that they won't consider stories that have been listed on big sites, and Wattpad was mentioned specifically. So, that's something else to consider.

I've seen too many talented writers decide that they'll put their fiction online and get four or five chapters in before realizing that literally no one is reading it and just burn out. The question is, really, what are your goals? To get people to read your stuff? To make a living off it? To make the jump to traditional publishing? To just build a work ethic? Once you have that answer, you can figure out which route you should take.

Anyway, yes, I'll take a large fries.

And why is it that all these bad fantasy books have protagonists whose names start with K?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Can anyone recommend some good fantasy adventure books to spite these bad ones? Looking for a simple adventure, old ruins and dungeons would be nice.

I enjoyed Mike Shel's The Aching God. It's deliberately written as a 'Group needs to find and delve a dungeon' book, but it was pretty good, with some interesting world-buliding to justify the conceit. The sequel wasn't as good, but it's a seperate story set years later and completely skippable.

There's also Return of the Wizard King which has just come out, and sound similarly premised to your op. Can't speak to this one as it's on my (digital)to-read pile, but I haven't read it yet.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 18, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Terry Goodkind is dead but the damage he's done is irreversible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Gideon the Ninth is marketed pretty... shakily, though. Should've emphasized the cookie-cutter YA elements and not the cool elements that barely feature. But it's not really an 'old ruins and dungeon' story. It's like Homestuck + Warhammer 40k + Twitter memes.

it absolutely shouldn't work, but it absolutely does, imo.

i do agree it's not really what that poster was asking for - maybe joe abercrombie? The Heroes is probably the best standalone, if you like that then there are a bunch of others.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Elderbean posted:

ursula leguin's earthsea trilogy

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Elderbean posted:

If you want something simple and fun the Gotrek & Felix books aren't bad. I know it's an RPG/game setting, but they aren't really grognardy like, say, Forgotten Realms stuff can be.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

The Moon Monster posted:

Didn't the Kender die from a poison needle trap when opening a chest? If I'm remembering correctly and that was a thing I guarantee it was a dice roll.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, that didn't stick. Some spell, possibly associated with some big green dragon or the crystal balls associated with dragons, reversed the difficulty of the skill checks: the difficult becomes trifling, but something simple becomes neigh impossible. It may have all been a dream, or an illusion, but definitely magic.

Iirc, the Kender meets his end when something big stepped on him during a big battle, which also served as the book's "rocks fall, everyone dies" conclusion.

If anything woke me up to how bad those books were, it was Dragons of Summer Flame.

Elderbean posted:

I'm using this as an excuse to plug Taltos, by Steven Brust, though most of the other books with Vlad don't really fit that. So, I'll use that as an excuse to plug The Phoenix Guards, whereon Brust overindulges on Alexander Dumas.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 18, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like terry badmean, imo

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Actually good fantasy:
Ffalfnir and Grey Mouser
Dying Earth
Nine Princes in Amber
Conan
Elric

Very very bad:
Kingkiller Chronicles
Terry Goodkind rip

Everything else is just various levels of mediocre carbon copies of Lord of the Rings.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was just going to ask about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Gygax said that those stories were the primary inspiration for D&D, but I could never get my hands on them when I was a kid. I've always heard they're good

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They’re good because they really paint a picture of a weird world where all the cities are slums, all the wilderness is filled with monsters, and the heroes are in thrall to weird extra-dimensional beings, and it does it with snappy prose and no wasted space.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

poisonpill posted:

Actually good fantasy:
Ffalfnir and Grey Mouser
Dying Earth
Nine Princes in Amber
Conan
Elric

Very very bad:
Kingkiller Chronicles
Terry Goodkind rip

Everything else is just various levels of mediocre carbon copies of Lord of the Rings.

Hey buddy who never read Earthsea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of wonder if the Amber series would have been bigger if it actually got finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
There was to be more than two trilogies?