Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
remember this is the company that pissed off a lot of people because they put Brexit into the game

and it turns out that an ultra-hard Brexit makes it quite hard to sign foreign players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Julio Cruz posted:

remember this is the company that pissed off a lot of people because they put Brexit into the game

and it turns out that an ultra-hard Brexit makes it quite hard to sign foreign players

I didn't mind them having it in, because it is supposed to be a historical simulation, I just want the option to *not* have it because it's not a core part of the sport and it models a real-life externality that no decent person would support. Not a great parallel, but the only Zelda games that I do now own (apart from the awful CDI ones) are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks because those are controlled entirely using the stylus. I don't have a problem with them trying a new movement style, but the fact that they didn't include an option for classic cross & button controls is just baffling to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's not going to be two options you're going to have to deal with the state of football as it is.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the amount of work it would take to model the effects of covid in fm is more than they’ve put into the series over the past five years

Weedle
May 31, 2006

“dodgy lasagna” dlc now free, unlimited-use

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They'll just add a new injury with a mandatory 2 week "send home" result so our wonderkids will be getting the corona in 2033. Just like real life.

Having a custom schedule for the first season+ is standard practice anyway.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3 days into your new save you get a news report “There is a covid vaccine, we no longer have to worry about it” boom, done. This would seriously be the best way to do it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mls folds in 2023 because too many americans refuse the vaccine, we never get the virus under control and 2/3 of the teams can’t survive without gate receipts

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

jesus WEP posted:

3 days into your new save you get a news report “There is a covid vaccine, we no longer have to worry about it” boom, done. This would seriously be the best way to do it.

This will definitely be a day 1 mod

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm sorry but the Football Manager franchise values accuracy above all else it WILL NOT be inventing some magic September vaccine to make everything go back to the way it was in the good old days with freedom of movement and no global pandemic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I take it, then, that it will accurately model every club below the megabastard level being skint broke and half the sub-top-flight clubs in the world going into bankruptcy/administration as they no doubt will over the next 4-6 months?

NEW FEATURES:
All transfer budgets set to $0
Only sugar daddy clubs may buy players, all other clubs may only sell

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

I'm sorry but the Football Manager franchise values accuracy above all else it WILL NOT be inventing some magic September vaccine to make everything go back to the way it was in the good old days with freedom of movement and no global pandemic.
if it can make up post brexit transfer rules it can make up a vaccine

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

I take it, then, that it will accurately model every club below the megabastard level being skint broke and half the sub-top-flight clubs in the world going into bankruptcy/administration as they no doubt will over the next 4-6 months?

NEW FEATURES:
All transfer budgets set to $0
Only sugar daddy clubs may buy players, all other clubs may only sell

It's something we're being told to keep track of - new contracts, potential pay cuts etc. Effort is being put into figuring out how much less money is flying about, and how many clubs are pushing the boat out even more thinking there might be an opportunity to get ahead of the spendthrift opposition (this will be 9/10 clubs imo).

The financial side has been too easy for years. Not enough corruption.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
So, uh, how far into the red can you go, and/or how long for, until it becomes a problem? I've stayed well within my transfer/wage budget, and the board haven't warned about anything, but it'd be handy to know whether I need to start offloading players or praying for a moneymaking cup run.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Answers Me posted:

So, uh, how far into the red can you go, and/or how long for, until it becomes a problem? I've stayed well within my transfer/wage budget, and the board haven't warned about anything, but it'd be handy to know whether I need to start offloading players or praying for a moneymaking cup run.

There should be a page telling you where you stand on FFP rules but it's always worth looking at your club's bank balance as even if you stick to your budgets overspending will effect future budgets. Much like assistants, owners are bad at playing the game. Sometimes you have to trick them into giving you stuff with funny clauses, sometimes you have to leave half that £40m transfer budget in the bank.

But the financial side is pretty generous (far too generous in fact) so you have to work hard to completely ruin a football club Redknapp-style.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Small clubs normally just get owner infusions at the end of the season.

Big clubs just reduce transfer revenue which is honestly more annoying.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It annoys me that owners with "resources" set to very low numbers still chuck £15m in the pot to keep a club going.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Got FM 2020 in a bundle or sale a bit ago and started a vanilla LLM.

Overall pretty fun, but the details just make me go uuhhh??

• Lose in FA Cup round higher than season expectations to a club 2 divisions above 4-3... Match performance is rated C- ??
  • Player match ratings are even more trash than usual, pretty much goals and nothing else matters
  • A player I wanted to sign demanded Star Player + 800£/week (I negotiated a bit both down but couldn't reach my 600£ target) then signed a few weeks later in a club 1 div lower, same rep for 400£ and is just a Squad player
  • My star defender was in the division team of the year, but I couldn't extend his contract due to budget restrictions... So he spends the following season as a free agent then retires
  • Can't warn a player + dispute a red card...
  • I can't seem to have any impact on the club vision or make demands to the board in the context of my contract negotiations ?? Maybe this is something I missed, though.
  • So many, so, so, so many players on 0£/week contracts in other clubs in bottom divisions or clubs below the lowest league that don't even start talking to you for less than 400£ (my squad average wage)...

Nothing game breaking that I've noticed, just the usual quirks of LLM FM games which SI seem to never improve. Overall OK, 7/10 good for nerds.

Shazback fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 10, 2020

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
You might need to bribe the agent more in some of your negotiations and it seems weird to warn a player about a card that you think was unwarranted so I don't get the issue there. Maybe it should let you and the result is the player thinks you are an idiot or something

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Weedle posted:

mls folds in 2023 because too many americans refuse the vaccine, we never get the virus under control and 2/3 of the teams can’t survive without gate receipts

there's a new event where a player refuses to get a vaccine because they're a hardcore antivaxxer and then they get Covid and die but true to form SI make it so it can only fire for your favourite regen

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

You might need to bribe the agent more in some of your negotiations and it seems weird to warn a player about a card that you think was unwarranted so I don't get the issue there. Maybe it should let you and the result is the player thinks you are an idiot or something

Most of the players don't have an agent, but perhaps they simulate themselves as an agent or something?

For the red card, I think that it does make sense. A warning when the code of conduct is a fine is reasonable (after all, the player did get a red card), but you can still dispute the 2-game suspension if it was harsh. Even if the result is the player thinking you're deranged, that should be the manager's choice.

Specifically I was thinking of a case where a player was on a yellow & instructed after that to ease off tackles, then picked up a straight red before half-time. Assman said that the red was harsh, but I still wanted to give the player a warning because even a yellow instead of a red would have been too much. I clicked on "appeal the red card" and it removed the option to fine / warn the player at the same time, and best I can see it automatically selects that you don't discipline the player, regardless of what you have pre-selected.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As far as I know, unless Favorite/Disliked modifiers come into play, a player with multiple offers will always sign with the highest reputation team that makes them an offer they/their agent accepts, and money and squad status have nothing to do with it beyond determining what they/their agent will accept. And actually I think the effect of the Favorite/Disliked modifiers is to raise/lower their contract requirements, and doesn’t affect their choosing between acceptable offers.

Reputation is displayed on a 1-10 scale (by half-stars up to 5) but under the hood it’s tracked on a 1-10000 scale. Two teams with actual Reputations of 5788 and 5917 will both show up as three stars, but as far as I’ve ever been able to tell a player with acceptable offers from both will always sign with the latter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shazback posted:

Got FM 2020 in a bundle or sale a bit ago and started a vanilla LLM.

Overall pretty fun, but the details just make me go uuhhh??

• Lose in FA Cup round higher than season expectations to a club 2 divisions above 4-3... Match performance is rated C- ??
  • Player match ratings are even more trash than usual, pretty much goals and nothing else matters
  • A player I wanted to sign demanded Star Player + 800£/week (I negotiated a bit both down but couldn't reach my 600£ target) then signed a few weeks later in a club 1 div lower, same rep for 400£ and is just a Squad player
  • My star defender was in the division team of the year, but I couldn't extend his contract due to budget restrictions... So he spends the following season as a free agent then retires
  • Can't warn a player + dispute a red card...
  • I can't seem to have any impact on the club vision or make demands to the board in the context of my contract negotiations ?? Maybe this is something I missed, though.
  • So many, so, so, so many players on 0£/week contracts in other clubs in bottom divisions or clubs below the lowest league that don't even start talking to you for less than 400£ (my squad average wage)...

Nothing game breaking that I've noticed, just the usual quirks of LLM FM games which SI seem to never improve. Overall OK, 7/10 good for nerds.

£300/week is a minimum wage job so if you're a full time club you're probably not going to get a lot of interest offering less than £400/week, realistically.

Club vision is a chairman thing, you're not supposed to be able to influence it right away. It's not your club, you're just head coach and statistically not going to be around two years from now.

Player ratings being based on goals and flashy stuff is extremely realistic as well imo. Your players thinking they're important when they're not is also very realistic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol at the manager of a League Two side (which by definition is ceaselessly struggling to make payroll week to week) making Club Vision demands in contract negotiations

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
If 400£/week is a "minimum" for players to be interested that would make sense (relocation, etc.). But then, why do clubs have players on 0£/week? I had a player leave my club on a "release as free" to join a club at the other end of the country and is signed on a 0£/week contract.

For a part-time club I would even find this to be an impressive bit of attention to detail if players' location was somehow meaningful, and this could both explain the 0£/week contracts and be something the -human- player can leverage (e.g. a player released locally after 6-12 months who is still a free agent would be open to a "pay as you play" deal to stay in the game, 0£/week but per match bonuses).

For club vision / board requests during contract negotiations it's just weird that individual players I sign start negotiations with a dedicated page where they can make requests such as "improve quality of defense" or "improve the coaching team", but when I negotiate my own contact there is no such option.

Again, having the option doesn't mean it should be accepted or anything. The situation is just that after 4 years at the club where we went from being tipped for relegation to promotion candidates in the league above, while staying at around 60% of the wage budget they gave me in the past 3 seasons (the club now has over 500k£ in the bank in Vanarama National), I want them to improve the training facilities. Sure, I could go to make a board request, but it seems a missed opportunity that players can request things but the manager can't. I don't want to make a board ultimatum since I think we can reach the playoffs and I don't want to be sacked before that, but at the same time I won't sign a new contract unless they improve facilities. So for now I just run down my contract while chasing promotion, then have to either make an ultimatum with literal days remaining on my contract (lol what) or sign a new contract and make the ultimatum afterwards and accept being sacked if they refuse. Either way is fine, since as an LLM being unemployed again isn't really a big deal, but this just feels like something not working as expected.

I know FM isn't a role-playing game, but it's part of the immersion for me to not feel like I'm just playing excel simulator.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol at the manager of a League Two side (which by definition is ceaselessly struggling to make payroll week to week) making Club Vision demands in contract negotiations

Please don't talk about Sven-Goran Eriksson when he isn't here to defend himself.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Quick question. I haven't played any of this in five years, but when I did I got a lot out of 2012. Is there a clear best year of FM or am I good to stick with that?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Quick question. I haven't played any of this in five years, but when I did I got a lot out of 2012. Is there a clear best year of FM or am I good to stick with that?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I will remember 15 as the best one but I wouldn't be able to go back now. The slow creep of new features does add up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't think it's possible to get anything besides 20 and maybe 19 if you don't already own it, unless you're willing to roll the dice on some super shady poo poo.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The best FM is the one where I had my longest and most successful save.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
In the current version you can't set 8 players to "Attack Goalkeeper" on corners, so it's bad. I miss being able to dole out major spinal injuries to enemy keepers in exchange for a reasonable amount of red cards per season (26)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Modrasone posted:

In the current version you can't set 8 players to "Attack Goalkeeper" on corners, so it's bad. I miss being able to dole out major spinal injuries to enemy keepers in exchange for a reasonable amount of red cards per season (26)

As a former keeper, gently caress you.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Walton Simons posted:

The best FM is the one where I had my longest and most successful save.

I still dream of Vincent Cueff.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Slightly off-topic, but anyone know if we have a fantasy league thread?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

FM2020 is free on Epic right now.

Now I can unsub from Xbox Game Pass and just play it on Epic

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I refuse to use Epic. I have an unused account and I get like 50 hack attempt emails per day.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

XBenedict posted:

I refuse to use Epic. I have an unused account and I get like 50 hack attempt emails per day.

This is not uncommon. The good news is you're getting the emails, where as before they'd have had your account before you knew about it.

If you're going to play anything on Epic, absolutely do not put any kind of payment info or personal details in there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

XBenedict posted:

I'm genuinely sorry that that has happened to you, my (wo)man. I plunder Epic for free games regularly and I have not had such an issue. I just log into Epic through GOG Galaxy, with whom they have a formal partnership.

Edit: FM2020 and WD2; this week is a bonanza.

Fake Second Edit: I just looked and I have literally never bought a game from Epic. Every single one of the two dozen games that I own from them was a "free transfer".

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I used to get a lot of email spam from epic about account hacking attempts. Not so coincidentally it started exactly when Fortnite started to catch on. It ended as soon as I enabled 2FA on my account.