Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't think Laura or Gabby have died yet since the Krakoa status quo so I'm not sure there's precedent for clones. I guess all of the Marauders are clones but as far as I know there aren't like, eight Riptides grazing and roaming together.

KaosMachina posted:

I think the fact that Mister Sinister is on the council and personally created her and thus gets to weigh in about it, combined with the fact that, y'know, she was also a HUMAN clone of Jean and the cause of one of their biggest catastrophes, and yeah- she's the exact case of someone who got absolutely hosed over by the new status quo. She's the exact figure who they have enough reasons to all separately go "Okay, NOT THAT ONE".

I went and double checked this since I wasn't sure, and it turns out that Madelyne Pryor was a mutant, she was just brainwashed into thinking she was a regular ol' human. I don't think this ever came up until the X-Man solo series but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
::A:: just maybe killed four mutants permanently.

Or maybe not.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

Aren't Laura and Gabby also clones........sort of?

I forget Gabby's circumstance, but Laura was a genetic twin and carried to term by her mom and has a lot of her DNA, so she's not really a clone.

Unrelated, but reading X-Men and that poo poo's a loving trip of exposition and me going "uhhh" and "what."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

X-Men #12 was... rough. Tons of mumbo jumbo that mean little and will likely not be expanded on properly even in the upcoming crossover. Apocalypse's character being written differently from his on-going series, as if Hickman was more worried about trying to put in all this so-called "lore" instead of keeping things consistent with his other colleagues. This incoming threat of the Amenth that you are not given any reason to care about as the reader... Very rough read, altogether. Instead of holding my suspension of disbelief, I just keep seeing the man behind the curtain having trouble with the projector.

Hellions, on the other hand, makes me think. About the circumstances of Krakoa and its future and what it means to be a person. Madelyne sure isn't considered one by anyone in Krakoa, even though she had a life, a career, a son and a marriage -- but she was "just" a clone. John killing his old corrupted comrades (who are no longer considered persons either), hoping that on their resurrection they will finally get a proper chance at living... This is good writing.

I also liked the Kandra scenes in Excalibur.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't think Laura or Gabby have died yet since the Krakoa status quo so I'm not sure there's precedent for clones. I guess all of the Marauders are clones but as far as I know there aren't like, eight Riptides grazing and roaming together.
The Marauders are clones, but their originals aren't alive, so they can be brought back without too much concern. It also means, as Saoshyant hinted, that the versions that come back might not at all be the ones who died, but that's also what Greycrow seemed to be hoping for.

But yeah, I also agree that X-Men #12 didn't do much for me. A looooooot of exposition about stuff that's seemingly out of nowhere and is important to this event, I guess?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Maddie's entire existence seems to be primarily to be dumped on.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Madeline Pryor got done dirty.

I'm deeply amused by the implication that Empath was put on the team specifically to be murdered as a form of joint catharsis and team-building

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Saoshyant posted:

X-Men #12 was... rough. Tons of mumbo jumbo that mean little and will likely not be expanded on properly even in the upcoming crossover. Apocalypse's character being written differently from his on-going series, as if Hickman was more worried about trying to put in all this so-called "lore" instead of keeping things consistent with his other colleagues. This incoming threat of the Amenth that you are not given any reason to care about as the reader... Very rough read, altogether. Instead of holding my suspension of disbelief, I just keep seeing the man behind the curtain having trouble with the projector.

Hellions, on the other hand, makes me think. About the circumstances of Krakoa and its future and what it means to be a person. Madelyne sure isn't considered one by anyone in Krakoa, even though she had a life, a career, a son and a marriage -- but she was "just" a clone. John killing his old corrupted comrades (who are no longer considered persons either), hoping that on their resurrection they will finally get a proper chance at living... This is good writing.

I also liked the Kandra scenes in Excalibur.

Excalibur has grown into a book I really look forward to. I also keep forgetting to mention how much Nanny rules in Marauders. I loved her last scene in this issue-- her design used to freak me out as a kid so it's been knocking around in the back of my mind for decades, so it's great to see her getting a chance to really exert some narrative agency.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Apocalypse works so much better as well-intentioned, cooperative, but still dangerous and scheming. It lets him get wins that he's allowed to keep because he's ultimately on the heroes' side even if he's not acting in ways they approve. And a successful Apocalypse is an intimidating Apocalypse.

Edit: Exodus not using his position as camp councilor to undermine the murder no man law with the kids, but further fortify the reasoning was also a pleasant surprise.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 17, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It'll be immediately undone by psychics but I hope we get to see some ridiculous linguistic drift that results from spending millennia in the time box

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
What did Summoner mean about Apoc being the father of the second generation of mutants? Who were the first?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

What did Summoner mean about Apoc being the father of the second generation of mutants? Who were the first?
Selene and Apocalypse have both been "The First Mutant". This is basically resolving that. Selene's batch came first and she was the first of them. Apocalypse came much later, but he was the first of those mutants. And we may still be in "the second generation" of mutants, despite being so much later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, after the back to back awesomeness of the brood 2 parter and the Empyre 2 parter X-Men 12 was a pretty big let down. It was also a lot worse than previous issues that mostly existed as exposition to set up future things, like the one where Laura Wolverine, Synch and Darwin went into that thing and don't come out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Adder Moray posted:

Selene and Apocalypse have both been "The First Mutant". This is basically resolving that. Selene's batch came first and she was the first of them. Apocalypse came much later, but he was the first of those mutants. And we may still be in "the second generation" of mutants, despite being so much later.

there's also been lines throughout Hickman's run implying that Apocalypse may actually be much, much older than ancient Egypt. how that squares with "the second generation" or existing continuity, I dunno

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, after the back to back awesomeness of the brood 2 parter and the Empyre 2 parter X-Men 12 was a pretty big let down. It was also a lot worse than previous issues that mostly existed as exposition to set up future things, like the one where Laura Wolverine, Synch and Darwin went into that thing and don't come out.

I really want that story to end with. "Yeah, you guys sent a Wolverine and a dude who adapts to survive into a vault where generations pass in days. Long story short, everyone in there's a mutant now."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Was that THE Twilight Sword?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gologle posted:

Was that THE Twilight Sword?

I haven't read this week's issues but I assumed it was when it made an appearance in HoXPoX

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah, XM #12 just felt like a way-too-condensed summary of an entire series that doesn't actually exist. I'd say it should have been two issues but I think people would have ended up complaining "what is this alternate universe bullshit, get back to the mutants we actually want to see: Rockslide and Gabby".

Also the more real-world time that passes without getting back to Laura, Synch, and Darwin, the better the payoff needs to be. It won't be long before we've hit Chinese Democracy levels of "Not possible to be worth the wait".

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Giant Size Storm makes me hope that Dauterman draws more X-Men. His Storm looks stunning. You can tell drawing beautiful people is his real strength, because The World doesn’t look as strange as it probably should.

I also appreciate Hickman getting to write another AIM agent.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Open Marriage Night posted:

Giant Size Storm makes me hope that Dauterman draws more X-Men. His Storm looks stunning. You can tell drawing beautiful people is his real strength, because The World doesn’t look as strange as it probably should.

It hit me recently that Dauterman is what Cho would be without the gross stuff. His stuff is sexy as hell without being exploitive. It's a really nice thing to see in mainstream comics.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barry Convex posted:

there's also been lines throughout Hickman's run implying that Apocalypse may actually be much, much older than ancient Egypt. how that squares with "the second generation" or existing continuity, I dunno

Selene was born in the Hyborean Age, around 20,000 BC, and had a few characters in her enemies category in common with Conan. Feels like they'll keep that since Conan is in 616 proper now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

BrianWilly posted:

If she's a "clone" of Jean, then the Cuckoos are definitely clones of Emma. Aren't Laura and Gabby also clones........sort of?

The Cuckoos aren't really clones though, they're daughters.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
X-Men #8 there is a scene where Broo is in a suit walking through a gate with Jean and it looks like a wedding scene. This is beautiful.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

danbanana posted:

It hit me recently that Dauterman is what Cho would be without the gross stuff. His stuff is sexy as hell without being exploitive. It's a really nice thing to see in mainstream comics.

I think Dauterman's work is leagues more dynamic than Cho's.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Has anyone followed up on Krakoa apparently needing to eat mutants?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Has anyone followed up on Krakoa apparently needing to eat mutants?

Yeah. I forget where they said it, but basically since there are so many mutants on Krokoa now, the island only needs to take a minuscule amount of psychic energy from each mutant to get it's "fill".

radlum
May 13, 2013
There’s a teaser for a new X-Book going around on Twitter; seems pretty interesting.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

glitchwraith posted:

Yeah. I forget where they said it, but basically since there are so many mutants on Krokoa now, the island only needs to take a minuscule amount of psychic energy from each mutant to get it's "fill".

I think it was in one of Beast's notes in an X-Force issue (or maybe somewhere else; I read like 7 X-issues over the last two days) where he made a comment about Krakoa needing to eat two mutants. I also remember the psychic thing, too, though "sacrificing" isn't necessarily a hard thing for them to do with resurrection in place.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

radlum posted:

There’s a teaser for a new X-Book going around on Twitter; seems pretty interesting.

could you by any chance post this teaser?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

could you by any chance post this teaser?

https://twitter.com/mutantmurph/status/1308491738412179458

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s the wheelchair kid from X-Terminators that Jay and Miles love. Manifold is looking rather pale, and I have no clue who the two other characters are.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

aw poo poo its Wiz Kid!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Oh, I guess this must be Al Ewing's X-book given that it was teased in the Empyre Aftermath one-shot. A bit disappointing, I was hoping he was writing the Moira book, but I guess he could be doing both

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's the team that will show up to kill Hulkling in the future.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gologle posted:

That's the team that will show up to kill Hulkling in the future.

It seemed like they were there to save him, not kill him

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s the wheelchair kid from X-Terminators that Jay and Miles love. Manifold is looking rather pale, and I have no clue who the two other characters are.

Banshee there on the left. I think that's probably a different Manifold than Eden. The last character nobody seems to know.

Or if that's Eden the coloring is very bad. People are saying that's Frenzy there. So yikes.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 22, 2020

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
So is this one pronounced Swuh-ex-erd or Swuh-ten-erd?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What a timely opportunity to launch Beast into space.

I'm not completely familiar with Eden's design, but it does seem like a classic case of Black Man Being Colored By White People syndrome

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The unrelenting whitening of X-characters is just appalling and it's been happening for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know how much of that is intentional, and how much of it is modern artwork from the Big 2 getting overall progressively shittier from what it was in the 70's and 80's.

Also Hulkling isn't a mutant therefore that team has no reason to care about him. They're totally there to kill him.