Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Azathoth posted:

Tales from the Aletheian Society -

Ayyy! That’s my friends! Good to know you’re enjoying them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Azathoth posted:

For light-hearted fare, I highly recommend the following:

For more serious fare:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll swing them by her and see what she thinks. We actually settled on It Could Happen Here which she's enjoying, but that's rather short, even if I'd argue it's a touch out of date because 2020 has been completely unpredictable.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
just got to the end of s-town episode 2

what the gently caress

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Quotey posted:

just got to the end of s-town episode 2

what the gently caress

This is a truly perfect post and I love watching this exact moment unfold for people. Welcome.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is S-Town season 2 actually about anything? I tried S-Town season 1 and at first it was all like, "oh wow we're gonna unravel a tangled web of crime deep in the heart of this small town" but then turned out to just be a character study of a weird lovely dude.

edit: whoops nevermind

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 2, 2020

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll swing them by her and see what she thinks. We actually settled on It Could Happen Here which she's enjoying, but that's rather short, even if I'd argue it's a touch out of date because 2020 has been completely unpredictable.

Robert’s commentary on what has been happening thus far this year has boiled down to “this is what I was talking about”, in its most simplified form. All it takes is one of these situations to boil over more and it’s what he predicted. He’s done a bunch of reporting on the Portland protest scene in Worst Year Ever. Give it a listen if you want some more.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gripweed posted:

Is S-Town season 2 actually about anything? I tried S-Town season 1 and at first it was all like, "oh wow we're gonna unravel a tangled web of crime deep in the heart of this small town" but then turned out to just be a character study of a weird lovely dude.

There’s a season 2? The first one is one of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard, I have no idea what they’d follow it up with.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Snowy posted:

There’s a season 2? The first one is one of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard, I have no idea what they’d follow it up with.

I misread Quotey's post

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

DogoDogo posted:

This is a truly perfect post and I love watching this exact moment unfold for people. Welcome.

spoilers for all of s-town:

yeah that was just like driving into a brick wall at 100. you get a weird true crime sounding podcast or something- i only clicked it because i like hearing about little towns in the south and love the accent (jimmy being tyler's hypeman was great), then bam. fuckin teared up whenever his friends did.

it was great, loved hearing about him, warts and warts and all. i think the last episode was a very bad landing though- going through the mercury stuff, then suddenly the BDSM things out of nowhere- it felt more uncomfortable than anything else in the whole podcast, the way it was talked about and laid out. especially the recording tyler had. maybe that could have gone elsewhere or something. i think the talk with his friend from the phoneline and the a life fulfilled stuff would have been better.

any other podcasts just about like... some small out of the way place? the life and history thereof? i sometimes go to the library and look at old record books, read about the coal mining and the people local to me. it's always comfy.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 3, 2020

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
If you listened to In the Dark, the guy featured in season 2 finally just had all charges dropped. https://www.apmreports.org/episode/2020/09/04/charges-against-curtis-flowers-are-dropped

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DogoDogo posted:

If you listened to In the Dark, the guy featured in season 2 finally just had all charges dropped. https://www.apmreports.org/episode/2020/09/04/charges-against-curtis-flowers-are-dropped

Holy poo poo goddamn gently caress

That's fantastic news

I stopped listening to the podcast after that season and I don't really remember why, might just have been tired of listening to heavy poo poo at the time

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
drat, I really wish I could listen to the new Allan Partridge podcast on audible. But I don’t like to give money to amazon and I already used up their free month thingy.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

mrfart posted:

drat, I really wish I could listen to the new Allan Partridge podcast on audible. But I don’t like to give money to amazon and I already used up their free month thingy.

audible has podcasts now? oh no

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

busalover posted:

audible has podcasts now? oh no

It's had 'Audible Originals' since 2018

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

101 posted:

It's had 'Audible Originals' since 2018

wow ok but apparently none of which were important/good enough to show up on my radar

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I imagine they’ll be showing up on AudioBookBay if you’re sticking it to Bezos.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

busalover posted:

wow ok but apparently none of which were important/good enough to show up on my radar

Last days of August and Butterfly Effect both started there and are cool.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I've listened to a lot of bad movie/generally make fun of movies podcasts but WHM is the only one I've stuck with for years, let alone subbed to a patreon for.

I'd love to know some other good ones, though, that can hit that balance of good riffs and movie discussion and all.

Blank Check is by far my favorite movies podcast though not explicitly a “bad movies” one

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SlipkPIe posted:

Blank Check is by far my favorite movies podcast though not explicitly a “bad movies” one

yea Blank Check is very good but I'd call them more a general movies thing than a pure 'we'll make fun of dumb poo poo'.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What are some more good podcasts with self-contained, non-serial episodes? I don't like true crime, politics or anything else that reminds me of how poo poo humans are right now. I do like non-fiction and history. But I only listen to podcasts occasionally so I always want ones I can just drop into after missing ten episodes. To make it extra difficult, I do prefer podcasts where they're talking about *something*, not just "here's some funny people in a room being funny".

Current favorites:
Answer Me This
Car Talk reruns
The Crate and Crowbar
The Flop House
How Did This Get Made
MBMBaM
I Don't Even Own a Television
The Bugle
99% Invisible
Hardcore History (episodes so far apart they're exceptions to the non-serial rule)

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 16, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Do Go On is pretty good if you like Australian comedians talking about a different subject each episode. It’s pretty loose and chatty and sometimes one or more of them are drunk.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Spectacular Failures is pretty delightful. They look at businesses that have gone belly up and why, sort of the opposite of How I Built This, and the host is pretty witty.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Imagined posted:

What are some more good podcasts with self-contained, non-serial episodes? I don't like true crime, politics or anything else that reminds me of how poo poo humans are right now. I do like non-fiction and history. But I only listen to podcasts occasionally so I always want ones I can just drop into after missing ten episodes. To make it extra difficult, I do prefer podcasts where they're talking about *something*, not just "here's some funny people in a room being funny".

Current favorites:
Answer Me This
Car Talk reruns
The Crate and Crowbar
The Flop House
How Did This Get Made
MBMBaM
I Don't Even Own a Television
The Bugle
99% Invisible
Hardcore History (episodes so far apart they're exceptions to the non-serial rule)

E1. The gimmick is that every episode is the first and only episode of a different podcast. It is three funny guys in a room being funny, but it's like, this week they're all flat earth researchers arguing about what's on the other side, or three monkeys recording a podcast about being monkeys on an iPhone that someone dropped into their enclosure, or three Joe Bidens telling dueling rambling stories about how America used to be.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been enjoying Desparate Acts of Capitalism, which is just two friends excitedly telling each other about the Dutch Tulip Craze, or the collapse of Radioshack, or the Fyre Festival, or what happened to Crystal Pepsi, or that time in 1920's Chicago where rival taxi companies were gunning each other down. It's a hoot.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I've been enjoying Very Presidential, a presidential biography podcast from Parcast and Spotify. I was skeptical about another presidential history podcast (most are bad) or another Parcast podcast (I generally find their podcasts to be overly robotic) but it's fantastic. If anything I think it errs to the side of being overly skeptical of some of the subjects, but I've listened to enough fawning podcasts or podcasts that split the difference that it's refreshing.

e: it's not going in order so you can pick and choose which episodes to listen to and skip what you want.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gossip Mongers gave Poppy Hillstead the boot, and it sounds like they weren’t very nice about it. I always liked when she’d go yell the winning gossip out the window to the street below (which she just said was fake the whole time).

She has a new show called Poppy Hillstead Has Entered the Chat but I haven’t listened to any of them yet.

I also recommend her drawings of the worst penises ever

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Not sure if it's in the thread yet but Well There's Your Problem takes a deep dive into a single engineering disaster per episode. Has some of the Trash Future hosts but the pacing is a lot better.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

As much as I'm burned out on political podcasts I'm pretty intrigued by a Virgil Texas and Briana Joy Gray collaboration

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

evilpicard posted:

As much as I'm burned out on political podcasts I'm pretty intrigued by a Virgil Texas and Briana Joy Gray collaboration

I listened to the first two free episodes and it just feels like an audio version of whatever the current Twitter discourse is that week, it wasn't funny and it wasn't giving me any new insight or perspective so I tapped out. I like both Virgil Texas and Briana Joy Gray but they explicitly made an unexceptional roundtable show in an attempt to make a product that appealed to "normies" for the sake of spreading their platform so there's not much there for anyone already a fan of them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's weird to hear a lefty politics podcast that isn't enmeshed in stupid Twitter discourse or shitposting.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

I listened to the first two free episodes and it just feels like an audio version of whatever the current Twitter discourse is that week, it wasn't funny and it wasn't giving me any new insight or perspective so I tapped out. I like both Virgil Texas and Briana Joy Gray but they explicitly made an unexceptional roundtable show in an attempt to make a product that appealed to "normies" for the sake of spreading their platform so there's not much there for anyone already a fan of them.

I had the same reaction, but I think it is worth pointing out that they are doing exactly what they are setting out to do.

That is, they are creating a show with leftie politics specifically to appeal to the Pod Save decorumite audience that bounce hard off Chapo and the other popular leftie podcasts.

It's not my thing, but it's likely to be something I recommend to certain people I know.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Snowy posted:

Gossip Mongers gave Poppy Hillstead the boot, and it sounds like they weren’t very nice about it. I always liked when she’d go yell the winning gossip out the window to the street below (which she just said was fake the whole time).

She has a new show called Poppy Hillstead Has Entered the Chat but I haven’t listened to any of them yet.

I also recommend her drawings of the worst penises ever

Oh really? I was wondering why she isn’t in the new season. Do you know the reason she had to leave? Despite her absence it’s once again laughing out loud funny.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mrfart posted:

Oh really? I was wondering why she isn’t in the new season. Do you know the reason she had to leave? Despite her absence it’s once again laughing out loud funny.

Apparently they gave her the boot through their agents or some such, saying she wasn’t experienced enough.

I listened to the first and last episodes of Poppy Hillstead Has Entered the Chat and it’s pretty great. Very unsexy sex chat roleplay.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Ah that sucks. Just listened and I have to agree with you.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

mrfart posted:

David Earl tweeted something quite cryptic before deleting his twitter account about only having one side and so on.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

getting fired through an agent definitely sounds like a contract/money deal, making sure everything is nice and legal and documented

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Was Gossip Mongers that popular? It kind of blows my mind that it would get mixed up with agents and legal issues. It seems like such a diy little project.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Snowy posted:

Was Gossip Mongers that popular? It kind of blows my mind that it would get mixed up with agents and legal issues. It seems like such a diy little project.

They got 425 patrons and when things get on the cusp of getting big, that's when this poo poo starts popping off.

No one gives a poo poo about beer money, but once it starts to become "this side hustle could be my full time gig", that's when things get nasty.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

gently caress 'em, then. Dunno if I'll like her podcast but lmao if they thought people wouldn't ditch the STDH podcast because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Walton Simons posted:

David Earl tweeted something quite cryptic before deleting his twitter account about only having one side and so on.

Very disappointing to see.
Maybe there was something else to it, but definitely not the way to handle something like this.