Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the malignant mind of a scalper is alien to me but i'd figure they'd want to turn around the units asap while consumers are still hyped up and there's no news about restocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Sickening posted:

Cite your sources because this is amazing.
Sorry I either saw it on Twitter or Reddit, can't remember where. Not the most reliable place but the sequence of events is entirely plausible.

Nvidia definitely uses Digital River which definitely has an API so it's not that hard to connect the dots. Someone could have been continuously polling the API for new product listings and then submitted the new orders the second a product listing with "3080" in the name came up.

Nvidia claims to be verifying all orders manually so maybe they can cancel the ones they found were submitted programmatically?

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 18, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I was considering ordering from a PC builder because I am very lazy and I noticed they had the 3080 as an option (NZXT BLD for those curious). I figured it was just sort of a pre-order thing where I could buy a system and maybe get it in a month or two. While screwing around for 10 minutes or so with the configuration suddenly I noticed it cross the 3080 out on my list and say 'sorry this is out of stock now' and replace the option with a 2080TI for much more money. Turns out they actually had the things in stock and I missed my chance because I was pointlessly considering Intel vs AMD. Welp that's my story.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I find it hard to think of a tech launch that went this poorly. Of my 5 friends who were looking to upgrade, NONE of us got a card. All of us were F5-ing and checking multiple sights to try to snag a card. Reddit is full of people posting about their orders getting canceled and it seems like bots legit bought most of the supply.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why immediately put them up when 1) there's organized anti-scalper activity at the moment, and 2) you can let the impatient assholes do your market research for you.

If I was scalping I wouldn’t want my account to be associated with a 10$k transaction that’s likely to make the news either

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sickening posted:

Cite your sources because this is amazing.

I saw this that covered how a lot of scalpers got cards today: https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-a-bot-bought-dozens-of-rtx-3080-units-before-consumers-could-grab-them

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bedlam posted:

I find it hard to think of a tech launch that went this poorly. Of my 5 friends who were looking to upgrade, NONE of us got a card. All of us were F5-ing and checking multiple sights to try to snag a card. Reddit is full of people posting about their orders getting canceled and it seems like bots legit bought most of the supply.

Yeah normally when I'm in this situation it's because my dumbass didn't preorder when I had the chance a few months ago.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Charge the scalpers for every card they buy and then don't give them a thing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Still holding out hope for my Amazon or B&H order.

I’d prefer the B&H Asus card though since it seems like it’s a solid choice.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Still holding out hope for my Amazon or B&H order.

I’d prefer the B&H Asus card though since it seems like it’s a solid choice.

My amazon MSI got nuked yesterday. I wouldn’t hold out hope.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the thing thsi reminds me of most strongly is the days when people were trying to buy Wiis.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

shrike82 posted:

the malignant mind of a scalper is alien to me but i'd figure they'd want to turn around the units asap while consumers are still hyped up and there's no news about restocking

Keep in mind that 3080 scalpers likely include many very experienced people who cut their teeth in the ridiculous sneaker/streetwear drop world (Jordans, Supreme, and so on). They likely have sophisticated and meticulous plans and have their ear to the ground around the indefinite scarcity of the card. They know just as much as us the rumblings around card shortages through the rest of the year.

mA fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 18, 2020

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

NoDamage posted:

Sorry I either saw it on Twitter or Reddit, can't remember where. Not the most reliable place but the sequence of events is entirely plausible.

Nvidia definitely uses Digital River which definitely has an API so it's not that hard to connect the dots. Someone could have been continuously polling the API for new product listings and then submitted the new orders the second a product listing with "3080" in the name came up.

Nvidia claims to be verifying all orders manually so maybe they can cancel the ones they found were submitted programmatically?

https://store.nvidia.com/store/nvidia/en_US/buy/productID.5438481700/clearCart.yes/nextPage.QuickBuyCartPage

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Impermanent posted:

the thing thsi reminds me of most strongly is the days when people were trying to buy Wiis.

It reminds me of buying BlizzCon tickets during the Before Times(TM).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i wonder how many scalpers have put up listing with 3080s they dont actually for sure know they're going to receive

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Edit whoops wrong thread sorry

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Bounce Alerts is just straight up trolling now: https://twitter.com/BounceAlerts/status/1306642888785235968

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Verviticus posted:

i wonder how many scalpers have put up listing with 3080s they dont actually for sure know they're going to receive
That's what I was wondering, seems absurd to put up a product for sale that hasn't even shipped yet.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Shogunner posted:

>Bot protection was in place, orders were human

lmao bullshit, their site was out in seconds, not 5 loving minutes

Yeah the Ventus card was in stock for maybe 30 seconds and most people had it deleted out of their cart while trying to check out, none of the other cards had any stock afaik.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If it was supposed to be one card per customer, why can't they just go through and correct every bot's multicard purchase to just one card? If the buyers were violating the terms of sale then it's not like they have legal grounds to stand on.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

mA posted:

Bounce Alerts is just straight up trolling now: https://twitter.com/BounceAlerts/status/1306642888785235968

Could honestly just be fake marketing since they are advertising a paid service after all, but who knows.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1306758713038962689

:2bong: well that makes the $100 premium worth it alone folks!!

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

FungiCap posted:

Could honestly just be fake marketing since they are advertising a paid service after all, but who knows.

Maybe, but they do seem to be a pretty well known cook group on reddit.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If it was supposed to be one card per customer, why can't they just go through and correct every bot's multicard purchase to just one card? If the buyers were violating the terms of sale then it's not like they have legal grounds to stand on.

They could however; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TflqHkJx6EY. Botters can use multiple credit card numbers. I think the best solution is to use a simple custom captcha that you change every time you do a release you care about.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 18, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Than buy a scalped one if money isn't an issue?

It's not even that bad, there were some people with them in-hand, photographed, Buy It Now, selling for around $1400.

Plenty of people would have bought it here if it was $1400 MSRP in the first place I'll bet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
for some perspective, I looked back at some of the stuff that was said about the 1080 launch back in 2016.

Fry's in LA had a launch allocation of 5 units. Amazon UK had a launch allocation of 44 units. OCUK got an allocation of 10 units. Early Asus 1070 shipments were batches of 5 units.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4lc1c6/frys_was_good_to_me_heres_my_1080/d3m1nuu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4n4f16/amazon_uk_now_taking_preorders_on_evga_and_msi/d40qzjx/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4ocsc2/uk_strix_delayed_til_1st_of_july_from_ocuk_scan/d4buvhd/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4qkmzw/asus_strix_gtx_1070_batch_of_5_arrived_june_29th/

vega was pretty rough too, only 16k units worldwide for both SKUs combined.

this isn't the end of the world, supply will probably normalize in 2 months or so. Again, I think the reason for choosing this exact launch window is to allow the requisite amount of time for the inventory problems to clear before the holiday. Tech launches are 100% guaranteed to sell out these days, and 100% guaranteed to be general shitshows. So you don't do your launch in November when it's going to gently caress up your holiday shopping season (looks meaningfully at RTG).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

seems worse than pascal - demand is higher, supply even lower

i would not be surprised if people aren't able to get a card by CP2077

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

for some perspective, I looked back at some of the stuff that was said about the 1080 launch back in 2016.

Fry's in LA had a launch allocation of 5 units. Amazon UK had a launch allocation of 44 units. OCUK got an allocation of 10 units. Early Asus 1070 shipments were batches of 5 units.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4lc1c6/frys_was_good_to_me_heres_my_1080/d3m1nuu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4n4f16/amazon_uk_now_taking_preorders_on_evga_and_msi/d40qzjx/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4ocsc2/uk_strix_delayed_til_1st_of_july_from_ocuk_scan/d4buvhd/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4qkmzw/asus_strix_gtx_1070_batch_of_5_arrived_june_29th/

vega was pretty rough too, only 16k units worldwide for both SKUs combined.

this isn't the end of the world, supply will probably normalize in 2 months or so. Again, I think the reason for choosing this exact launch window is to allow the requisite amount of time for the inventory problems to clear before the holiday. Tech launches are 100% guaranteed to sell out these days, and 100% guaranteed to be general shitshows. So you don't do your launch in November when it's going to gently caress up your holiday shopping season (looks meaningfully at RTG).

There's definitely more people willing to shell out big $ for GPUs these days, the Titan X Pascal stayed in stock for five days, the 3090 I hope it stays in stock for five seconds.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
For those goons that actually care about Fortnite performance, I did some games earlier.
2080 Super
1440p with Gsync max RT settings on Performance DLSS ran anywhere from 54-75 fps during gameplay. During 3d menus, it goes well over 100fps.

Obviously performance is not at the 100+ that people like if they are competitive. Luckily I am not that good anyway and it stays in my Gsync range nicely so it is all smooth as butter. I was able to get the same performance in balanced mode when I had reflections set to medium as they were by default. So If I did want some extra frames I would lower that backdown. There are I think 5 levels of reflections settings and it appears to be purely a roughness threshold rather than a samples per pixel change.

Honestly, I can't imagine turning these settings back off as Global illumination alone makes the game so much more attractive.

All my screenshots turned out as poo poo though so you will have to take my word for it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MaxxBot posted:

There's definitely more people willing to shell out big $ for GPUs these days, the Titan X Pascal stayed in stock for five days, the 3090 I hope it stays in stock for five seconds.

the 2080 Ti launch was... real real bad. took what, like 5 months to actually be regularly in stock? and then there were the production faults and stuff. and the fact that only Evga really made an MSRP card.

none of that really means anything for 3090 but just reminiscing to lower peoples expectations!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Also the botters wouldnt have the cards so if theyre selling items they dont have possession of that would be amusing to have orders canceled

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I am having a dumb day and all of this has made it even dumber.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’m curious if COVID may be impacting the production of these cards and to what extent

dunkan
Jul 10, 2006

rage is everywhere

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah the Ventus card was in stock for maybe 30 seconds and most people had it deleted out of their cart while trying to check out, none of the other cards had any stock afaik.

I was able to get an FE in my cart with nvidia twice and both times the backend site was timing out during checkout, possible there was low/no stock already.

Multiple times today I caught some on newegg. Early on checkout failed as their site poo poo itself, and later in the day I just wasn't fast enough and it was always pulled at checkout being out of stock.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the situation does seem to hint that nvidia's mispriced their cards and could afford to move their lineup by a couple hundred dollars at a minimum
wonder if there'll be an effective price increase with the next batch of AIB/FE cards

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Don't know how accurate it is but some folks have said NVIDIA paid AIBs to keep prices near MSRP for launch and AIB prices will be going up

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Botters? Constrained supply? Order cancellations?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

my uncle at nvidia already has the 4090 and lets me play fortnite on it but im not allowed to show you

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Shine posted:

I am having a dumb day and all of this has made it even dumber.

I found out my grandmother died today, and also my phone that was stolen about a year ago showed back up outside my yard connected to a different service and face locked, along with my car's service manuals. But at least I got a card I guess. Been a happy, then weird, then real sad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Is there anything that happened in the last 36 pages or so that I missed aside from scalpers and supply issues?