Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

its because SAS is a death pit of mediocrity but Fight Sports loves anything one on one and weird ruled with physical combat, MOAT FIGHTS

honestly i don't know why i went and found the sumo thread in sas and why it came here but true. it reminds me of early 2000's mma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lid posted:

its because SAS is a death pit of mediocrity but Fight Sports loves anything one on one and weird ruled with physical combat, MOAT FIGHTS

Apparently circus fights was the card of the year, including such fights as "two little dudes fight one big dude" and "the one where the woman cried between rounds"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

All trades for Day 4 registered.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

oh no what a goof! did my trade go thru? fuuuuck idk how this works! i'm blowing this lmao

It did! Don't feel bad, I can't count the number of times I've traded away an underperforming rikishi only for him to win and my new guy to lose the first day after the trade. It happens!

Firebatgyro posted:

Whats the reasoning behind the sumo elders not shutting down the fun of Terutsuyoshi's ring entrance? Is it the kind of thing thats fine until he makes sanyaku?

Nishikido-oyakata was famous for his enormous salt throwing when he was fighting as Mitoizumi, and he was a sekiwake. I imagine if everyone started doing it they would get grumpy, but it seems like guys have quite a bit of leeway in their pre-bout routines.

Gotta say, there have been some brutal falls this basho, especially Asanoyama vs. Hokutofuji today. I hope no one ends up seriously injured this basho.

Day 4 standings:

code:
12	anakha
11	Banana Canada
10	bartolimu
7	Beeswax
9	bessantj
6	Cage Kicker
8	Charles Gnarwin
9	Chinook
10	Dias
10	Diplomat
13	Fluffdaddy
9	Foehammer007
9	Gerund
10	GoatSeeGuy
9	ilmucche
10	Helianthus Annuus
6	Jobbo_Fett
8	Kenning
9	Lid
11	Liquid Communism
11	Lone Goat
11	Maigius
10	MalarkeyToboggan
8	Marching Powder
9	Martytoof
8	Mekchu
8	pseudodragon
8	QuasiQuack
9	Robviously
8	sivad
13	Skjorte
11	Sub Rosa
7	Thauros
11	Tiny Bug Child
10	whats for dinner

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Take back what I said about ichinojo. That weak day one loss has woken up snorlax, he’s in a good spot to pick up some easy wins over the next few days

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Higi victory hype

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Firebatgyro posted:

Whats the reasoning behind the sumo elders not shutting down the fun of Terutsuyoshi's ring entrance? Is it the kind of thing thats fine until he makes sanyaku?

As long as it's within the general flow of preparations, they don't seem to care. The grumpy men of the YDC probably have opinions, but gently caress them.

That said, Kotoyuki used to make a loud barking noise as part of his routine, but was told to can it because it was pissing off other rikishi. Hakuho, if I recall correctly, asked if he was a dog.

This:

https://youtu.be/OtvCqHvE0-w&t=2m48s

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 5 had some really wild sumo. Whole bunch of good bouts. Okinoumi vs Endo was a real battle.
Also, a ridiculous amounts of mattas. Some very jumpy rikishis today.

My main man Hokutofuji keeps letting me down though :(

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 17, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

After a less than auspicious start it's good to see Terunofuji get some wins.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It looks like Onosho showed up this time. Let's see if he can keep it up going into the second weekend.
Enho FINALLY got one! What a great match.
My six-syllable boy is holding down more than his share in the wins department as well. Really good agility against Kagayaki.
I was excited for the battle of the ex-Ozekis and HOLY poo poo did it live up to the hype, what a GREAT throw. Tochi finally found something he can do with that busted-rear end leg of his.
Endo/Okinoumi was match of the day for me. A great protracted belt battle with multiple comebacks from the tawara. Great stuff.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

It did! Don't feel bad, I can't count the number of times I've traded away an underperforming rikishi only for him to win and my new guy to lose the first day after the trade. It happens!

i can only hope that other players are enjoying watching me eat poo poo lol

especially on my onosho prediction. couldn't have been further off! hes the sole leader right now. amazing! good for him

when can i trade again?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m disappointed that the Takayasu/Tochinoshin bout had the outcome it did but I’m not disappointed in the actual battle. That was fun as hell!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

We need a Moat Fight thread for the pure sake of educating the masses of its glory.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Endo winning with a leg in the air like a Rockette was sick as hell

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Shoudai and Onosho gonna carry me to the championship. Shoudai about to go on an Ozeki run, imo. His sumo is looking extremely strong.

I've always liked him because he always looks like a concerned infant even in the middle of a match.

I gotta say is Ryuden one of the most disappointing dudes in the rank and file? He has the perfect build and just doesn't do poo poo with it :(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mekchu posted:

We need a Moat Fight thread for the pure sake of educating the masses of its glory.

What, and I say this as someone who googled it, the gently caress? Where can I get some highlights?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Onosho's run ain't got nothing on my boy Chiyotairyu!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elissimpark posted:

What, and I say this as someone who googled it, the gently caress? Where can I get some highlights?

On the Fight Island Discord LobsterMobster/LegKickTKO actually does like SyncTube watchalongs of those events from time to time. I really should ask him to make a thread for us to chatter about it in.

I'll see if he can do one relatively soon (before the end of the month).

Back to Sumo!

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 18, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Going 0-0-5 on day 1 really killing my fantasy team

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Ryuden is like if you went and bought a Hakuho at the $2 store. He has the height and the build and the look and none of the fighting technique.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Speaking of lower level Hakuho. Hokuseiho, Hakuho's 18 year old, 200 cm and 158 kg Miyagino stablemate, is still undefeated, he currently sits on 3-0 in Jonidan.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

18 year old, 200 cm and 158 kg

What the christ

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

bessantj posted:

Speaking of lower level Hakuho. Hokuseiho, Hakuho's 18 year old, 200 cm and 158 kg Miyagino stablemate, is still undefeated, he currently sits on 3-0 in Jonidan.

How did Takanohama make Makuuchi at 19?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lid posted:

How did Takanohama make Makuuchi at 19?

Takanohama or Takanohana? if it's Takanohana, who made the top division at 17, then having a Yokozuna uncle and stable owning Ozeki dad probably helped as you can imagine. He started at 16 and kept winning.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

Takanohama or Takanohana? if it's Takanohana, who made the top division at 17, then having a Yokozuna uncle and stable owning Ozeki dad probably helped as you can imagine. He started at 16 and kept winning.

Also a future Yokozuna older brother to spar with from childhood.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

bessantj posted:

Hakuho's 18 year old, 200 cm and 158 kg Miyagino stablemate

Don't ever hakkeyoi me or my fat son ever again....

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lid posted:

Ryuden is like if you went and bought a Hakuho at the $2 store. He has the height and the build and the look and none of the fighting technique.

Yea it’s so frustrating to watch

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
my new guy Chiyotairyu putting dirt on the sole leader Onosho!! Im proud of you Chiyotairyu (please dont read my earlier meltdown)

:cheers: to Takayasu slipping out of a desperate spot with excellent foot work and shoulder mobility. had to watch it 3 times to see what happened. the gyoji was blocknig the view during the nhk slow-mo, so that was no help

delighted to see Terunofuji Daiesho Takakeisho all putting up big numbers for me today! :five:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Ok completely new to sumo. This is my first time watching a basho and I have next to no knowledge of japanese.

I think I found a guy I'm a fan of I just have no idea how to parse pretty much anything. Hirsute man with a bright green loincloth. I haven't seen anyone else wearing that particular shade at least.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Ok completely new to sumo. This is my first time watching a basho and I have next to no knowledge of japanese.

I think I found a guy I'm a fan of I just have no idea how to parse pretty much anything. Hirsute man with a bright green loincloth. I haven't seen anyone else wearing that particular shade at least.

sure heres what i think you should know, to understand whats at stake for these guys:

they're gonna wrestle for 15 days and try to be the one with the most wins to take the championship. they're also trying to climb the sumo rankings. getting 8 wins or more means they get promoted. 8 losses, and they face demotion. promotion comes with all kinds of extra perks and income -- but also harder opponents. if a wrestler gets injured and has to sit out the tournament, they forfeit any days they miss, and they can face demotion... but yokozunas (highest rank) can't be demoted, so they can sit out without being stripped of their rank

are you watching with japanese or english commentary?

english here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsyhbQggi0M3t_DMePOLgSw

and here: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

so you always want your guy to get at least 8 wins, because if he cant manage it, he could eventually wind up in the lower divisions

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 19, 2020

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I've been watching mbovosumo and a little of https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hhGvH83lw3DN0a8UDoXVg. Mostly caught the early stuff so maybe this dude isn't that big of a deal.

I don't recognize my dude from that video so I'm guessing he's a lower rank guy. Is there some kind of rhyme or reason to color schemes to stable or is it just whatever that guy feels like?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
must be Chiyomaru

hes one of my faves who got demoted down to the lower division :(

hope he can put together some wins and come back. looks like hes at 3-3, still in it

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 19, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I've been watching mbovosumo and a little of https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hhGvH83lw3DN0a8UDoXVg. Mostly caught the early stuff so maybe this dude isn't that big of a deal.

I don't recognize my dude from that video so I'm guessing he's a lower rank guy. Is there some kind of rhyme or reason to color schemes to stable or is it just whatever that guy feels like?

Technically, they're only supposed to wear black, blue or purple, but they haven't enforced that in a million years, so whatever they feel like, or whatever their koenkai (support group) feel like.

It does sound like Chiyomaru - was it a big round dude? Sorry, an even bigger, more rounder dude?

E: had a look, Akua is also wearing bright green. If hirsute was the defining feature that jumped to mind, it might be Akua.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 19, 2020

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

Technically, they're only supposed to wear black, blue or purple, but they haven't enforced that in a million years, so whatever they feel like, or whatever their koenkai (support group) feel like.

It does sound like Chiyomaru - was it a big round dude? Sorry, an even bigger, more rounder dude?

E: had a look, Akua is also wearing bright green. If hirsute was the defining feature that jumped to mind, it might be Akua.

He does look rounder than most of the guys in that group that wrestled. Lost today (in mbovosumo terms) against a not hairy guy in the same color loincloth.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Okay, that's Chiyomaru then!

Sumodb is your best friend:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Default.aspx

It has the banzuke and all the matches for each day. It can also toggle between English and Japanese, so if you can kinda memorise kanji, you can often find someone's name through it too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Looks like tomorrow's the first time two of my roster take each other on.

I always root for Tochinoshin, but Takakeisho's on a hell of a run so if he wins I'm not going to be too sad.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pumped that Wakatakakage is doing well. After having the bad luck of getting injured the first time he was promoted to Makuuchi and getting demoted straight back to Juryo it's good to see him prove he belongs in the division.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sorry for missing a couple days of Fantasy updates, end of the week had a lot going on! This basho is all over the place in a very fun way, but I'm not loving some of the big falls dudes are taking, along with all the kyujo. I don't know if it's the degeiko ban, but things look just a bit more chaotic, and I'm worried it's causing injury. That said, been some great matches. Nice to see Terunofuji hit his stride again and start tossing dudes around.

Day 7 standings:

code:
21	anakha
22	Banana Canada
22	bartolimu
18	Beeswax
18	bessantj
14	Cage Kicker
15	Charles Gnarwin
20	Chinook
20	Dias
19	Diplomat
23	Fluffdaddy
17	Foehammer007
19	Gerund
19	GoatSeeGuy
17	ilmucche
21	Helianthus Annuus
14	Jobbo_Fett
18	Kenning
17	Lid
20	Liquid Communism
20	Lone Goat
22	Maigius
23	MalarkeyToboggan
15	Marching Powder
18	Martytoof
18	Mekchu
18	pseudodragon
16	QuasiQuack
17	Robviously
18	sivad
23	Skjorte
20	Sub Rosa
15	Thauros
22	Tiny Bug Child
20	whats for dinner
Remember, today is the last day to trade out! No trades after nakabi (middle Sunday)!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
can i still trade for shodai instead of daesho, or did i blow it earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I think I am solid middle-pack but I still would like to swap my M6-10 from Aioyama to Takayasu because I'm feeling like he'll have a better next 8. Without the Yoks to go, might as well go for potential.