Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No Lives Matter is a bold stance to take on the controversy.

I'd amend that to Rich Lives Matter, or more specifically Tory Lives Matter, but then Tories are barely human so No Lives Matter works too.

e: in 1986 my gran died, but it wasn't due to being murdered by the Tories.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/ScottBentonMP/status/1306627419311427584?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1306700764111351810?s=20

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/PGMcNamara/status/1306643329292161024?s=19

Didn't we just go through this? Didn't this just kill tens of thousands of people? How the gently caress are they still doing this.

Look they had their time and the economy needs to survive. It's standard conservative party policy, relax!

minema
May 31, 2011
We are already sending patients back to care homes who have been exposed to covid and need to isolate for 14 days, although most places are isolating anyone who has been in hospital even if they've not been exposed.

As a side note, not having visitors in hospitals is so hard for patients and I never thought I'd miss them so much.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's easy to just look at 60,000 dead, and think that it is a terrible number, that more should come of it. But 600,000 people die every year in the UK. 660,000 dying instead is a bump - one that registers more in statistics than our feelings, especially when those who die are those most cloistered from society to begin with.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I'm the guy who had his face blurred out because he realised the damage this photo was going to do to his future sex life

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's easy to just look at 60,000 dead, and think that it is a terrible number, that more should come of it. But 600,000 people die every year in the UK. 660,000 dying instead is a bump - one that registers more in statistics than our feelings, especially when those who die are those most cloistered from society to begin with.

This may be your opinion Dr Shipman but you're still guilty as gently caress.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

truly incredible stuff here from the economist

https://twitter.com/DSORennie/status/1306622098333343745?s=20

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The only way I've gotten IRL people to feel it is comparing it to the blitz. That specific comparison seems to work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I, personally, would not want the Cubans to teach me to read, because I might read some propaganda.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Vitamin P posted:

The only way I've gotten IRL people to feel it is comparing it to the blitz. That specific comparison seems to work.

Have you tried the 7/7 bombings

I feel like "it's like the tube being bombed every hour of every day" might get somewhere

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Still quite a few dead though int it, and thats laid at the foot of incompetence. Be like if a plane crashed into central London and only 4000 people died, don't think people would be so chill about it. The worst is yet to come.

Vitamin P posted:

i liken it to asbestos or mining/milling injuries in that its something that could have been avoided but has long term effects beyond death. and if theyre too young for that just start talking about the critically acclaimed series Chernobyl and how foolish they seemed in retrospect, imagine if something like that was going on now and people just believed any old poo poo

Jose posted:

what if you did politics for the good of people and they liked you for it, thats just unbritish

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Internet is years ahead of the trend, as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMwOvPQtUUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJnK9EhiXQw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

justcola posted:

Still quite a few dead though int it, and thats laid at the foot of incompetence. Be like if a plane crashed into central London and only 4000 people died, don't think people would be so chill about it. The worst is yet to come.

If you could get 4000 very small planes to crash into people very quietly though, apparently people would be quite chill about it.

Which suggests that people find loud noises more upsetting than death.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

the critically acclaimed series Chernobyl and how foolish they seemed in retrospect
I still find it wild that Chernobyl killed less in immediate industrial accidents, short term serious health conditions, and long term loss of QALY than a coal plant of the same capacity running normally for the same amount of time. And that 90% of the Exclusion Zone is less environmentally inimical to life than London Zone 1+2.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the subject of distressing loud noises I now have a new channel to go through so thankyou!
E: lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5s3QSrRsQ4

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 17, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol I'm just listening to that one.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

justcola posted:

what if you did politics for the good of people and they liked you for it, thats just unbritish

Do you actually think the CCP "does politics for the good of people"?

Outmanouvering developed economies by being systemically dogshit, be it workers rights, environmental externalities, international law etc while also being a literal loving dictatorship isn't alleviated by some wanky thing that isn't even a welfare state developing. The CCP is noblesse oblige at best and frankly it isn't as good as that.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jose posted:

The economist: a good thing happened? Oh no! This will inevitably lead to bad outcomes

Also the economist: a bad thing happened? Don't worry, this will inevitably lead to good outcomes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh jesus I think I found the ultimate one and it's UK themed too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm08v69vG10

Vitamin P posted:

Outmanouvering developed economies by being systemically dogshit, be it workers rights, environmental externalities, international law etc while also being a literal loving dictatorship isn't alleviated by some wanky thing that isn't even a welfare state developing. The CCP is noblesse oblige at best and frankly it isn't as good as that.

Yes, but the way the economist puts it, literally anything a government does that does anything beneifical for people is bad because it would might make people like the government.

Like the entire concept of a beneficial transactional relationship is impossible, apparently? Which is a slightly odd position for a publication called "the economist" to take IMO.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Austrian Economist

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The Tories killing 60,000 people is obviously a bad thing - but it's important to understand why others don't realise what we do, and to think about how to convince others of the scale of the crime committed, rather than just rage at the world for not coming to the same understanding we do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm the guy who had his face blurred out because he realised the damage this photo was going to do to his future sex life
Possibilities:

1. A face so horrifying digital cameras cannot accurately render it

2. It estimated the relative positioning of the woman's face, correctly guessed it was a oval office, and blurred it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I've been watching that YouTube Paris Hilton documentary and now I'm a big weepy weirdo and all of you should watch it too. Pure capitalism destroying lives poo poo. Epstien isn't an aberration.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Agreed. My bet would be that to cause actual widespread unrest, there would have to be at least a million extra deaths.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

suck my woke dick posted:

Agreed. My bet would be that to cause actual widespread unrest, there would have to be at least a million extra deaths.

If there are food shortages and the insulin stops coming because of Brexit, by March the Tories are going to be pushing towards 500,000 excess deaths in 12 months and ~800,000 since they took office. That former figure can be expressed as 1.1 Second World Wars in the span of a year.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh cool there's another electricity price hike from October, just in time for winter, and also coincidentally just enough (combined with a minuscule gas price reduction) to make the new more efficient heat pumps worse than gas again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just reading an article in the Graun about cancelled Christmas and reading the comments below. Someone started talking about getting the brexapocalyse supplies of bog roll and beans. Response comment:

"Can I just say, if you didn't buy the beans you wouldn't need the bog roll. Just saying."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guavanaut posted:

I still find it wild that Chernobyl killed less in immediate industrial accidents, short term serious health conditions, and long term loss of QALY than a coal plant of the same capacity running normally for the same amount of time. And that 90% of the Exclusion Zone is less environmentally inimical to life than London Zone 1+2.

I was a horribly morbid child who loved reading about industrial accidents, and whenever Chernobyl comes up, my favourite game is getting people to estimate how many people died as a direct result, then seeing how long they follow me saying "Less" each time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Vitamin P posted:

Sounded to me from that tweet that the CCP will be forcing people out of their homes and into cities where they can be used up in factories. It's all got very british industrial revolution undertones, reminds me of the british land reform when they took all the common land from the farmers and they then got ground to dust in hellish conditions in factories in cities.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I was a horribly morbid child who loved reading about industrial accidents, and whenever Chernobyl comes up, my favourite game is getting people to estimate how many people died as a direct result, then seeing how long they follow me saying "Less" each time.

I've got no patience for that kind of silliness.

It's "fewer".

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I haven't done a great great deal of reading on Chernobyl or watched the TV show or anything but I would guess like... 5?

Similarly for Fukushima.

E: OK so looks like 31 for Chernobyl and maybe 1 guy directly attributable to Fukushima (lung cancer, 7 years later).

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 18, 2020

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sounded to me from that tweet that the CCP will be forcing people out of their homes and into cities where they can be used up in factories. It's all got very british industrial revolution undertones, reminds me of the british land reform when they took all the common land from the farmers and they then got ground to dust in hellish conditions in factories in cities.

I think that's a fairly accurate assessment. "Natural" migration from rural areas to the cities has dried up which has reduced the excess workforce and means that China has lost the advantage of relative labour cost in manufacturing.

There is some sense that moving Uyghurs into concentration camps has been as much about creating a new source of cheap labour as it has been about ethnic cleansing, but it's still a relatively small population so now they are having to do something similar to rural Han Chinese.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the PRC is still too rural; urbanization is to be expected. Natural migration has not ended - instead, the dynamic is that the social problems created by maintaining a large number of undocumented migrants have grown too intolerable, and measures to end it by forcing them back to the farms have not succeeded. Illegal rural-to-urban internal migrants in China number in the hundreds of millions; arguing that it has dried up is patent nonsense

the main news is the acceptance that the hukou system has to end and the existing cities have to be resourced to explode in population and density, rather than telling the existing periphery areas to wait their turn. The choice is not whether to urbanise or not - urbanisation continues to be a "pull" factor, not "push" factor*, with people willing to take massive risks to work illicitly in larger cities - but where and when the urbanisation will happen first

* the rural-enclosure narrative of British industrialization is probably also wrong, fwiw - even the pessimist case is reduced to arguing that the improvement in welfare through urbanisation is not as large rather than actually negative

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 18, 2020

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1306626577082519554?s=19

https://twitter.com/ScottBentonMP/status/1306627419311427584?s=19

Tories pissing themselves in public. Again.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah if they mean to remove their internal migration restriction system (i.e. the hukou permit system) then if anything that's allowing natural migration to happen, rather than restricting it to avoid overwhelming urban infrastructure (if we're being charitable anyway).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
When the covid death toll reaches 68,000 (which it will in the not very distant future), that'll be the equivalent of one Brit in every thousand dying as a direct result of Tory incompetence/malevolence. Somehow, this will be shrugged off and excuses found by a significant portion of the remaining population. "Nobody could have planned for this"/"Some of them would have died anyway"/"But the economy!"/"How dare you try to politicise this tragedy!"/etc etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good morning, what's happening in Extremely Normal World today?

Oh, ok then. :ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My current ad and script blockers stop the comments under Guardian articles from loading, which is doing wonders for my blood pressure.