Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

In the current build of the game, everyone needing 2 speed dice meant that every usable deck was by necessity ~3x draw cards, 3x light regen cards, and 3x 'actual unique deck cards,' or else playing Singleton for their draw 3 card to let you stay up in hand size. Their goal in changing things so that playing 2+ cards a turn let you draw 2 was to allow for more diverse decks to be playable by making it so light regeneration was the only thing to worry about.

Honestly, it felt like a good overall change to the meta. Most of these changes felt like good changes to the meta.

-Passive swap would be the major outlier imo and that was honestly an issue of balance over anything else.

That makes sense, thanks. I wish the patch notes had included explanations like that.

e: just checked, it only lasted like two hours :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I didn't get to play with it, sounded fun but also busted to hell. Surprised they buckled so quickly. It was probably a mistake to roll out so many big changes at once, and it was definitely a mistake to do it without immediately available patch notes. With notes and some explanation of the thinking behind the changes people might've given them more of a chance. Like, not sure what they were going for with what they did to card draw.

You get access to missions at the second, third, fourth, and fifth expansion pips, but you still have to complete each one before you'll be given the next.

Right, so if I opened the Welfare department right now I wouldn't get to do Gebura's first mission?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 12, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yeah

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Not having played Ruina myself I went to look a the patchnotes and if I understand right one of the changed things was you needed to grind less?

The changes sounded neat, might have been easier to get people to acclimatize to an overhaul if they'd use the beta-branch system on steam.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

from what I heard it sounded like you'd have to grind more, to get many copies of pages to plug into other pages for their passives?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Sort of. There was a maximum number of each key page you could possibly get if I understand correctly, so there was an upper limit on how many of a page you could own and plug in, period.

But it would have opened up a lot of very deliciously broken combos. And given Yujin a third die slot. And made 2-dice decks much stronger since you don't need as much draw.

I was intrigued, shame that it was met with such outcry.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh hey they’re going to put back the massive overhaul (with changes) :woop: Still not going to play again until full release but it’s a good sign that they weren’t completely scared off to try new things.

" Our goals with this update include: Reducing the repetition of fighting the same battles over and over for leveling up and acquiring items (lessening "the grind")
2. Removed levels from Key Pages.
Key Pages now have their maximum stats and all passive abilities unlocked on acquisition.
As a result, Key Pages can no longer be leveled up by burning other Key Pages. "

yesss

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 15, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Im curious to try the new changes. Not sure how getting the pages for books will go. Hopefully it isn’t too tedious.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Part of me wants to back up my save file and restart after this update.

And take notes on what each objective is for later, but mostly just to re-experience it from the start.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

Part of me wants to back up my save file and restart after this update.

And take notes on what each objective is for later, but mostly just to re-experience it from the start.

:same:

I want to re-experience the game now that I have the knowledge I do.

One question, how does one back up a save?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

In windows you just head into your user folder, in the User area under... localdata or appdata or something like that. There's a folder called Project_Moon which has the library of ruina save info in it (and another one called Project Moon which holds lobcorp save data)

You just copy that to another location to back it up. Make sure to disable steam cloud saves as well or that can cause problems with messing with backups.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

In windows you just head into your user folder, in the User area under... localdata or appdata or something like that. There's a folder called Project_Moon which has the library of ruina save info in it (and another one called Project Moon which holds lobcorp save data)

You just copy that to another location to back it up. Make sure to disable steam cloud saves as well or that can cause problems with messing with backups.

Aaaaah how do you disable cloud saves? I’m so confused :psyduck:. Do you make backup before or after the patch?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Aaaaah how do you disable cloud saves? I’m so confused :psyduck:. Do you make backup before or after the patch?

I'd wait to back things up until after the patch, probably. As for disabling cloud saves uh...

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205280370-PC-How-to-Disable-Steam-Cloud-Save-Game-Synchronization

this but replace Borderlands 2 with Library of Ruina.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I kind of wish the other 2 Oz Abnormalities were in game, it seems like a fairly easy implentation to me. Scaredy Cat could function similar to Woodsman/Scarecrow but for Instinct (being too courageous makes it jealous of an agent). It can't show up unless one of the other 2 is already there, and instead of reducing it's own Counter it reduces theirs, breaching when another Oz character breaches.

The Road Home would be like Yin/Yang. Once you have the other three she shows up looking for them, she'd be the Justice version to round out the quartet of low stat requiring abnormalities. When she breaches she calls all the others to her and they rampage together, the others breaching reduces her QC.

Maybe successfully supressing The Road Home lets you work on them all without restriction for the rest of the day.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Doesn't Library already have a delete save data function right on the main menu though?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I kind of wish the other 2 Oz Abnormalities were in game, it seems like a fairly easy implentation to me. Scaredy Cat could function similar to Woodsman/Scarecrow but for Instinct (being too courageous makes it jealous of an agent). It can't show up unless one of the other 2 is already there, and instead of reducing it's own Counter it reduces theirs, breaching when another Oz character breaches.

The Road Home would be like Yin/Yang. Once you have the other three she shows up looking for them, she'd be the Justice version to round out the quartet of low stat requiring abnormalities. When she breaches she calls all the others to her and they rampage together, the others breaching reduces her QC.

Maybe successfully supressing The Road Home lets you work on them all without restriction for the rest of the day.

Considering they were hyping up some catastrophe happening if all four of them got together, I feel like it's going to be a plot point later down the line in Wonderlab and have implications for the larger Project Mooniverse. My theory is that Chesed in LoR gets all 4 and the final fight is The Wizard

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 18, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lakbay posted:

Considering they were hyping up some catastrophe happening if all four of them got together, I feel like it's going to be a plot point later down the line in Wonderlab and have implications for the larger Project Mooniverse. My theory is that Chesed in LoR gets all 4 and the final fight is The Wizard

This is true, although I'd suggest the catastrophe require them to finish their yellow brick road rampage, it seems that in the Wonderlab comic The Road Home drops a house and she and her friends path from her room to the house through the facility.

I just find the anomolies with interactions to be pretty neat and would enjoy more of them, it certainly feels more interesting than the random gotchas and such.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Day 35. I figure it's time for me to suppress 3 Alephs, which in my facility would be -20, -75 and -109. I know I can take -75 pretty easily if I ambush it right away, because I did so on my first attempt and then the game crashed. -109 shouldn't be too much worse if I don't get its blessing on anyone, but -20 might be the deal-breaker. I'll try breaking out -20 first when I make my next attempt.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The key with -20 is being able to blitz its HP bar down in forms 1 or 2. You'll want to have your full facility deathball standing *right nearby* ready to go.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Solitair posted:

Day 35. I figure it's time for me to suppress 3 Alephs, which in my facility would be -20, -75 and -109. I know I can take -75 pretty easily if I ambush it right away, because I did so on my first attempt and then the game crashed. -109 shouldn't be too much worse if I don't get its blessing on anyone, but -20 might be the deal-breaker. I'll try breaking out -20 first when I make my next attempt.

When I completed that mission, I beat 20 with the rabbits and dealt with 75 and 89 on my own. If you want to do that, make sure to clear the clerks out of the department first, because if the rabbits can’t terminate form 1 they will lose the fight.

Probably better to use your own forces if they can defeat it before form 3.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sounding like now is not a great time to start library over from the beginning, the key page pull rate is miserable because they're sharing a pool with combat pages again

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 19, 2020

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

SORT OF.

To make a long story very short, you are guaranteed to get them eventually. It’s just that the current drop values heavily favor combat pages over key pages so you’ll tend to hit those instead... BUT books are now basically a fixed gacha with a maximum number of possible cards of each type. So they’ll show up, at worst, after you’ve pulled every combat page from the book.

It’s just that right now the rates are such that this will frequently happen.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The;y need to either double the amount of books you get right off the bat or double the amount of cards/pages you get from burning each book. Early game in particular is hell since the enemies are capped at emotion level 0-1 right off the bat and as such only drop 1 book. Otherwise the new system should be pretty good. I like most of the changes I've found, but only just hit Urban Legend.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Narsham posted:

When I completed that mission, I beat 20 with the rabbits and dealt with 75 and 89 on my own. If you want to do that, make sure to clear the clerks out of the department first, because if the rabbits can’t terminate form 1 they will lose the fight.

Probably better to use your own forces if they can defeat it before form 3.

The rabbits have a decent chance of killing its third form if it's in the central department since twice as many rabbits spawn there as the other departments, though there's always a chance of them spreading out enough for it to wipe a group and regenerate its health before running into the next group, and if it does tank the rabbits you're going to have a really bad time trying to kill it with your own agents. IIRC, it does inherit the defenses of an agent it assimilates during its first phase, so it might be worthwhile to throw in a sacrificial agent with weak armor?

In general for Gebura 3, if you want to do it normally (i.e. not using Apocalypse Bird 75 and 109 are IMO the best choices since they're easy to release and not especially dangerous if you can keep them from powering up/spawning minions, respectively. The third suppression is always going to be tricky, though. General ALEPH spoilers: I went with 106, which wasn't too bad, but you really need to be able to split into at least two groups to handle it effectively and even then I was about five seconds away from one of them going off. 89 is potentially doable for the same reason as 75 and 109 but basically requires SP restoration bullets and heavy black deflection armor, and is significantly more likely to kill/panic employees so it's hard to recommend. 31 is heavily dependent on your equipment selection, if you're heavy on pale and black damage it's reasonable since the first two phases are reasonable to tank but if it gets to the third phase or later it's much more threatening. 20 is not a great choice but it's doable if you throw all you agents into an elevator and white shield them, but you'll probably need to throw the rabbits at it unless it spawns right next to your agent pile. 46... ahahahah. It's, uh, an option I guess.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The easiest options overall are -75, -109, and -89 IMO.

-109 is basically free if you don't let her make minions, and -75 can't do anything without dead agents to eat. As for -89... Rabbits are immune to fear damage, making it a free suppression since it's not THAT strong outside of the ability to deal a shitton of fear damage and panic everyone.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Personally I just downloaded a CE table that caused burning books to not actually lose the books when you burn them, because grinding fights for burning books for the pages/cards you want is a huge pain. Of course you should choose your own tolerance to cheating.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, unrelated but tangentially related to Library of Ruina....

It's a card game. As a result, I'm going to have to discuss card game terms, ideas, and strategy... and to do this I am sorely, sorely tempted to have Chazz goddamn Princeton, Greatest Card Game Player Of All Time Who Literally Went To School For This, do the explaining when I inevitably get to Library of Ruina.

I feel confident in my ability to write The Chazz explaining strategy and the like, but there is a point at which even I have to go 'Is this too indulgent, even for me?'

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TeeQueue posted:

It's a card game. As a result, I'm going to have to discuss card game terms, ideas, and strategy... and to do this I am sorely, sorely tempted to have Chazz goddamn Princeton, Greatest Card Game Player Of All Time Who Literally Went To School For This, do the explaining when I inevitably get to Library of Ruina.

I feel confident in my ability to write The Chazz explaining strategy and the like, but there is a point at which even I have to go 'Is this too indulgent, even for me?'

Please, for the love of god, Chazz it up.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Are you talking about a Yu-Gi-Oh character, that's all I'm getting when I google that name.

I really want to know how you're going to handle a certain thing in Library of Ruina given the way you've done your LC LP so far but it's super spoilery and I don't have PMs and a part of me just wants to wait and see how you handle it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I am absolutely talking about a Yu-Gi-Oh character, but also I am talking about the best Yu-Gi-Oh character by a factor of approximately Chazzfinity.

Also the answer right now is 'I don't know yet.' Like, objectively speaking the entire thing is up in the air and I'm only starting to work on conceptualizing what a LoR run would even look like, given that it's such a different game than Lobcorp on a conceptual level.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

I am absolutely talking about a Yu-Gi-Oh character, but also I am talking about the best Yu-Gi-Oh character by a factor of approximately Chazzfinity.

Also the answer right now is 'I don't know yet.' Like, objectively speaking the entire thing is up in the air and I'm only starting to work on conceptualizing what a LoR run would even look like, given that it's such a different game than Lobcorp on a conceptual level.

You should go check out some of the support they ended up printing for Chazz in the past few years. We’re talking Ojama as engines for Armed Dragon and VWXYZ. We’re talking a contact fusion between Armed Dragon and VWXYZ. We’re talking an Armed Dragon with effects for having 1, 10, 100, 1000, and 10000 ATK (it’s the Japanese catchphrase that got turned into the Chazz it Up shout).

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

You should go check out some of the support they ended up printing for Chazz in the past few years. We’re talking Ojama as engines for Armed Dragon and VWXYZ. We’re talking a contact fusion between Armed Dragon and VWXYZ. We’re talking an Armed Dragon with effects for having 1, 10, 100, 1000, and 10000 ATK (it’s the Japanese catchphrase that got turned into the Chazz it Up shout).

Well, he was MANjoume Thunder, so the pun makes sense. (Even though The Chazz is the objectively superior version, don't @ me.)

Setting that aside, how's everyone finding the new update? I've heard drop rates are abysmal, but I won't be getting around to playing again myself for another couple weeks due to reasons that definitely do not involve any form of Pop Idol Mermaids.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is amazing. I love when they lean into stuff like this.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

Well, he was MANjoume Thunder, so the pun makes sense. (Even though The Chazz is the objectively superior version, don't @ me.)

Yup, the actual catchphrase is “Ichi! Juu! Hyaku! Sen! Manjoume Sanda!!!!” (Which is yes, 1,10,100,1000,10000 plus him always demanding Jaden use honorifics which Jaden of course never does.).

Which all this is now making me consider things like the magical girl abnormalities but it’s a card game anime character. Get your agents banished to the Shadow Realm if they do the wrong things when interacting.

Personally I’m looking forward to the LP reaction to a lot of the so far dodged abnormalities. Especially the Big and will Be Bad Wolf and Red Riding Hooded Mercenary (am I the only one sad they no longer have her take off her mask and reveal that she’s missing most of her face).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

Option 1: straight Chazz. (I know nothing of Chazz.)
Option 2: pick a surviving employee from LobCorp.
Option 3: write the Chazz character into the LobCorp world. Less indulgent, readers can get the reference or miss it without any harm.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Assembled Birdzodia! :toot:

Appropriately, in my facility layout they're all right next to each other. Big Bird and Punishment Bird in the bottom of Welfare, and Judgement Bird in the bottom left of Central. Very thematic!

My first attempt ended horribly though no actual effort of the Birds--I forget I had someone with Magic Bullet and WHOOPS. :hellyeah:

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 20, 2020

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

TeeQueue posted:

Setting that aside, how's everyone finding the new update? I've heard drop rates are abysmal, but I won't be getting around to playing again myself for another couple weeks due to reasons that definitely do not involve any form of Pop Idol Mermaids.

The gameplay stuff looks solid and having guaranteed drops in the form of book pools so you can get what you want without relying on RNG is great. ...The problem is the pools are flooded with way too many copies of each green and blue card (A book from this week's fight has TWENTY of each green), you get 5 picks a book, and early game grinding in particular is flat out hell. Hopefully Project Moon hears the complaints and at least doubles the number of drops you get and cleans up the pools.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TeeQueue posted:

it is NOT too self-indulgent

this idea owns

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Assembled Birdzodia! :toot:

Appropriately, in my facility layout they're all right next to each other. Big Bird and Punishment Bird in the bottom of Welfare, and Judgement Bird in the bottom left of Central. Very thematic!

My first attempt ended horribly though no actual effort of the Birds--I forget I had someone with Magic Bullet and WHOOPS. :hellyeah:

Even if you remember, accidents will happen. My favorite (?) was having the Magic Bullet wielder exit a work into a hallway where other employees were suppressing Crimson Dawn, pitch in to help and kill three people. I was looking elsewhere at the time and it took me several minutes to work out what had happened.

After that, I stuck her alone in Control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Narsham posted:

Even if you remember, accidents will happen. My favorite (?) was having the Magic Bullet wielder exit a work into a hallway where other employees were suppressing Crimson Dawn, pitch in to help and kill three people. I was looking elsewhere at the time and it took me several minutes to work out what had happened.

After that, I stuck her alone in Control.

He has also killed himself walking back from work and running into a Crimson Dawn spawned off of a Crimson Noon while Punishing Bird was around :v:

Really, LobCorp murder mysteries are an underrated part of the game.