Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

wet_goods posted:

I still don't understand who can be a beneficiary of a crusade? About the only thing I can gather is that they can't be related to you?

The short answer is that they can't be an heir to anything already. Partition means that for most of the game your options are people excluded from succession for some legal reason (most commonly women).

They very definitely can be related to you, I generally pick a sister or daughter who I matrilineally marry off before hand. Also an option are the younger children of people with more eligible children than titles.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Traxis posted:

Crusader Kings 3: I keep a pool of heathen prisoners on hand and hold mass executions after successions and I never have issues with rebellious vassals.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The short answer is that they can't be an heir to anything already. Partition means that for most of the game your options are people excluded from succession for some legal reason (most commonly women).

They very definitely can be related to you, I generally pick a sister or daughter who I matrilineally marry off before hand. Also an option are the younger children of people with more eligible children than titles.

Oh yeah make sure any female beneficiaries are matrilineally married if you expect to be the top contributor. Learned that lesson multiple times

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The dread route is certainly cheaper, but I like to keep some cash and unmade titles around and just make everyone like me with a quick renown bump upon succession

Make a few duchies and hand em out to troublemakers and done

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

How are u posted:

Thank you!

e: hmm, I can't seem to figure out how to disable cloud save for an already in progress ironman game, since there is no access to the Save menu.

I don't think you can, or at least I couldn't figure out any way to. I had to start doing this manual save moving workaround every time to continue the cloud-save ironman game:

Hargrimm posted:

This happened to me too and seems to be fairly common. Something where the remote cloud save status gets corrupted and the file stops updating, so every time you load that slot it downloads the same save. The workaround is to go to your Documents/Paradox/CK3 folder and there will be a "last_save.ck3" file that is the autosave created when you exit that was supposed to be uploaded as the new cloud save, but wasn't. Move that into the "save games" folder in the same directory (create it if not there yet) and then when you launch the game you can manually load it from the Load Game menu. You basically have to do this every time you quit from now on, I don't know that there's any way from the client side to unfuck the cloud save itself

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Have more children. Uh oh, a faction's a brewin' to depose me now that I inherited Father's country. Oh well, I will just betroth some of my siblings into their families, and now they can't join factions against me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What happens if I'm a vassal of the HRE and inherit a slew of titles that are de jure vassal to the ERE?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

What happens if I'm a vassal of the HRE and inherit a slew of titles that are de jure vassal to the ERE?

Those titles will end up part of the HRE -- you can't have two different lieges and you've already got one. But the ERE will get pissy that you own them and might go to war to take them back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of, if I get elected to be the HRE (against my drat vote electors...), is there some way to stop loads of land I acquired as King of France from leaving with me? I kept the titles to the Kingdom of Burgundy and Lotharingia, but lost most (not all) of the actual counties underneath those titles. Including all of my possession in Spain, despite those never having been under the German Imperial title to begin with.

e: man heavy cav are completely useless, because there's not really a building line for them. My Armored Infantry have far higher attack and toughness stats, plus I get twice as many of them for less cost

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 18, 2020

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Anyone have a decent write up for what buildings to build and what retinues are good to build up?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Synnr posted:

Anyone have a decent write up for what buildings to build and what retinues are good to build up?

Speak of the devil. The short answer is that the Barracks line of building is extremely good, you want them in every holding you personally own, to enable the following composition:

• One regiment of siege weapons, best tech you got.
  • One regiment of light cavalry. You can drop this as the game goes on, but in the early game it's real good since everyone loves archers. stops them from wrecking your infantry.
  • The rest are 50% pikemen, 50% armored footmen. Sub in your culturally specific equivalent if you got 'em. If you have access to Huscarls or Zbrojnosh absolutely drop the light cav, since those will counter archers themselves.

Thanks to all your barracks' (which give bonuses to both), those pikemen and footmen will absolutely annihilate anything that gets in front of them. Like wiping stacks 3-4 times your size. I literally never call my levies unless it's a Crusade and there's 80k guys on the other side.

The good buildings, in descending order are:
  • Regimental Grounds (requires farmland or floodplains): MAA cost discount is what you're after here. Additionally there's another bonus to pike/footmen, more knights, control growth, all great stuff.
  • Manor houses (requires farmland): it's like the regular economic building, but better.
  • Barracks. See above.
  • Tradeports (requires coastal): taxes is taxes.
  • Economic building (farms & fields, forestry, wetland farms, etc.): Taxes is taxes.
  • Hunting Grounds. Passable income, at level 5 starts giving a MAA cost discount. Defender advantage is interesting but rarely applicable.

One caveat is that I've been playing in Western and Northern Europe so far, so I'm not familiar with the buildings for deserts, oases, jungles, etc. that you find in Africa, the Middle East, or India.

For special buildings, probably Blacksmiths for the infantry bonuses and MAA discount. Might be overkill though, I would consider Military Academy for Knight bonuses, or maybe the siege one.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 18, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Huh, so you don't get your captured courtiers back if you win a war. Figured that might be part of the peace negotiations.

No way am I paying this rear end in a top hat 500 gold for my daughter though, so I think I'll just stab and wardec him and his family repeatedly until he's gone from the map.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

For special buildings, probably Blacksmiths for the infantry bonuses and MAA discount. Might be overkill though, I would consider Military Academy for Knight bonuses, or maybe the siege one.

You get two duchies max if you're not playing NK mode so IMO double blacksmith is the way to go. I had obscene MAA stats, like 150/110 Armoured Footmen, which I'm confident will always outperform super Knights (and are significantly less fussy since Knights can grow old and die/die in battle, and new recruits can take a while to show up).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah my footmen are 171/130, and my pikes just tiny bit worse at 164/129, and they reinforce in months. It's loving crazy.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They all end at 1453 unless you disable the end date in game options.

Am I able to do this after I've already started the game, either through legit means or a cheat? I didn't realize I could disable it before I got balls deep in my Byzantine Empiring.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Agh...

My new queen of Jerusalem & Syria is the last of her dynasty and she's like 45 so she can't really have any more kids. Am I completely hosed?

She has brothers and nieces/nephews but they formed their own cadet branches. Is there anything I can do to save this game?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you call partial armies?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you call partial armies?

stop the army raising by ctrl+moving the stack once you have the numbers you need

e: you can also use 'Raise local levies" instead of raising all your armies if you desire to raise some specific counties' worth

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 18, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

Agh...

My new queen of Jerusalem & Syria is the last of her dynasty and she's like 45 so she can't really have any more kids. Am I completely hosed?

She has brothers and nieces/nephews but they formed their own cadet branches. Is there anything I can do to save this game?

Cadet branches are still part of your dynasty, they are valid as successors and won't end your game. Your house will go extinct but you'll just play as the new house.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I see why the Pope is such a boss in this game, on top of his deliciously decadent income priests actually know how to upgrade their holdings, even baronies.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I just had a fascinating back-to-back of two entirely different playstyles in two successive generations.

First guy was a torture king, who started off his reign as a pre-teen fighting off a vassal rebellion. He was constantly in wars, and spent his free time torturing, executing prisoners (sometimes eating them), and doing all sorts of murdering. Murdering unruly vassals to remove them as a threat. Murdering his incompetent Orthodox chaplain so he'd be replaced with a better one, and murdering the heads of other nations to destabalize them and plunge them into civil war, conveniently reducing their armies so he could more easily sweep in with his own. He also loved abductions, and abducted the pope so he could win a war to conquer Rome, and even abducted the head of the French empire just to force her to convert as a condition of her release, spreading Orthodoxy way faster than peaceful conversion ever could. His dread was so high that vassals could never oppose him in large enough numbers to truly be a threat. That said, he was constantly fighting off peasant rebellions, although he was making so much money that sometimes he just gave in to their demands to avoid the headache of putting down yet another rebellion. He lived to the ripe old age of 80, though his sons and grandsons had a bad habit of being murdered, and ultimately his great-grandson ended up as his heir, inheriting a massive amount of new territory, along with some very angry vassals.

That great grandson was the polar opposite. Closeted gay and with the compassionate trait, he never executed a single prisoner, and had 0 dread his entire reign. When he wasn't struggling to seduce his own wife, he was attending his own feasts along with the feasts of his vassals and befriending people, fending off his early-reign vassals eager for a rebellion by placating them with gifts and strategic council appointments. He was so friendly that he managed to convince the Catholic pope to willingly allow his ownership of Rome to be revoked, and managed the tyranny cost of doing so with his same cajoling ways. Deliberately avoiding offensive war penalties by fighting sparingly (and ending wars quickly), he used the Theologian Lifestyle to build up his piety while simultaneously getting enough territory to reform the Roman Empire, and then mend the Christian schism. Immediately after mending that schism, he reformed Christianity into what I called "Superchristianity", which accepted Witchcraft, equal rights, same-sex relationships, adultery, concubines, and made him the temporal head of the Church in addition to Basileus. He was so well-liked that 68 out of his 69 vassals converted as soon as he made the reform. Unfortunately, he died before the age of 50 due to complications related to obesity, which despite twenty years of trying to lose weight he never managed to shake.

Absolutely stunning. Both playstyles were a joy, and in weird ways complemented each other. Nice Emperor wouldn't have been able to forcibly vassalize the papacy (which was able to hire an absolutely insane number of mercenaries and still not lose money -- only abducting the pope managed to stop it), and Mean emperor wouldn't have been able to get the papacy to give up Rome without triggering a massive realm-wide rebellion. Nice Emperor was excellent at managing the internal dynamics of the empire enough to reform the religion, but only Mean emperor was able to make those surgical strikes that could break opposing empires in half.

I'm having a great time.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 18, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Cadet branches are still part of your dynasty, they are valid as successors and won't end your game. Your house will go extinct but you'll just play as the new house.

Hm. I don't understand why it's telling me I have no heir, then.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
What's the process most people use to decide who to sway/murder?What's the best way to use a high diplomacy lord?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tarantula posted:

What's the process most people use to decide who to sway/murder?What's the best way to use a high diplomacy lord?

I usually prioritize Swaying my Bishop to ensure he funnels his cash and levies to me
then any Powerful Vassal with a negative opinion of me
then any foreign ruler I want to strike up an alliance with

I don't murder much, I'd rather kidnap. Can't help you there

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Tarantula posted:

What's the process most people use to decide who to sway/murder? What's the best way to use a high diplomacy lord?

For me, it was a matter of who was more useful to me alive than dead, and which was easier to get to first, at least when I was mean Emperor. If I have a vassal toying with the idea of the independence faction, and their opinion of me was in the green, I'd sway them and give them gifts to tip them over into my side. If they were in the red, I'd either try to murder them or imprison them (or both).

In terms of who was more useful alive than dead: I had a member of my dynasty in a foreign realm that I wanted to recruit into my court, so I went ahead and swayed them. On the other hand, I had an unruly noble with a baby heir, so I murdered away.

Nice Emperor, of course, had no need for swaying, because a few years into his reign, everyone already loved him.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
For murder I go with hitting first those who are an immediate threat (they have a claim I'd like them to not have), then those who are a future problem (their marriage is the reason for an alliance between a planned enemy and their powerful ally), then just those who are an inconvenience (I want to end a truce without breaking it).

Swaying is for peasants who don't have an entire lineage of beautiful tank shaped rulers with divine blood pumping through their veins. It is usually a good idea to sway the nearest biggest blob if you're not yet at the point where you're just painting the map.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 18, 2020

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Sometimes I murder just for fun.

Oh look, my murder schemes targeting Khazarian rulers have a high success rate. What happens if I murder a bunch of them in a row?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Speaking of which, here's a general tip for non-compassionate rulers:

Murdering children, even child leaders of opposing empires, will always give you stress.

Executing your child prisoners and then eating them? You'll not only not get stressed, you'll lose it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Trouble with murder is that it’s a secret that others can blackmail you for, and the Murderer trait is a pretty bad one should you decide to go public

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Until you reform your religion to make murder perfectly accepted.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
My favorite part of this game so far has been having a steady line of rulers and then all of the sudden getting an absolute psychopath fail son sex monger who dies of alcoholism and lovers pox at the ripe old age of 49. The seduction line is pure comedy.

I should also mention that he had one eye, one leg, and was maimed by cancer treatment and was wearing a mask when he died.

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 18, 2020

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Cool thanks for the tips, I want to be good at these types of games but can often get overwhelmed trying to figure out my next steps.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
At the moment you can build whatever and be fine because the AI doesn't upgrade its castles. As long as you are upgrading, pretty much anything you roll out is going to massacre everything else

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Once I've founded a University, can I send my wards to it or something? Or is it just a local building same as the rest?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sankis posted:

Agh...

I've seen women get pregnant at 45 and older. Take all the fertility lifestyle stuff, find the most fertile men possible, and do the seduction scheme nonstop (pick the option to gently caress and move on at the end of each one).

Go into maximum seductress mode and you just might gently caress your way out of this situation. gently caress courtiers too if necessary. gently caress everyone.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
What's the best way to break up a large stable enemy kingdom?

I've tried to get into CK2 and now CK3 for a while but never really understood what I was doing or felt confident my in-game decisions were making much difference to anything. After a few false starts I think things were starting to click with my Duke of Gascony run (I'm still flailing but at least enjoying myself).

Now I am at a loss as I pressed my claim on the Kingdom of Sardinia, which made me independent and tanked my relations with West Francia who now want all my Aquitanian duchies. I have no way of fighting them as they are the only power in western Europe, with double my troops and no prospective allies - Iberia has been taken over completely by Muslims, Italy is split between me, Francia and random independent rulers and Germany is being swallowed by reformed Lithuanian pagans.

The only thing I can think of is to keep trying to murder plot their kings to destabilise them, which is hard when your lineage has all been stewardship type low intrigue dudes. Is there anything I'm missing?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I took over all of Spain barely fending off factions through judicious use of murder and imprisonment

feels good man

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK so it really seems like basically with enough prestige I can just attach a succession law to a Kingdom title and my heir would receive it because it does a separate check? This seems extremely gamey, I am up to five kingdom titles staying with my heir when the realm is overall Partition lol.

I wonder if this would work with Empire titles? Could I keep two empire titles without needing to lock in primogeniture?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's kind of insane that the threshold for a vassal not factioning against you is +80. On top of how good dread is in general there is very little upside to being a nice queen this time around, as only clan governments even really care about opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK so it really seems like basically with enough prestige I can just attach a succession law to a Kingdom title and my heir would receive it because it does a separate check? This seems extremely gamey, I am up to five kingdom titles staying with my heir when the realm is overall Partition lol.

I wonder if this would work with Empire titles? Could I keep two empire titles without needing to lock in primogeniture?

Can you please elaborate on what exactly you're doing there?

Asking for my emperor friend, of course.