Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

WarpedNaba posted:

In Japan I hear it shifted from Christmas cake to Toshikoshi soba - 30/31.

Can confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Either way it's poor tidings for me :(

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Antonymous posted:

Also just to add to the convo I didn't realize how sexist America is until I went to Taiwan

Would you care to elaborate on this?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

WarpedNaba posted:

Either way it's poor tidings for me :(

It's rubbish, you'll be fine.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
So what's the reading on this Tiktok offer? 20% minority share for Oracle for some ungodly billions and Bytedance remains majority owner - what is the value of being a technology partner? Is WeChat still on the upcoming shitlist? The United States seems to be coming off weak here. Just block the fuckin poo poo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oracle cloud is being mostly a miserable failure and oracle needs to make storytime about how it isnt

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/us/politics/us-arms-sale-taiwan-china.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/us/politics/us-arms-sale-taiwan-china.htm posted:

U.S. Pushes Large Arms Sale to Taiwan, Including Jet Missiles That Can Hit China

The administration is proposing the packages as President Trump’s strategists try to paint him as being tough on China despite soft actions earlier.

Does anyone else worry about not just Russian but Chinese meddling in US elections in 2020?

After all, China was purportedly responsible for the worst data breach that the US Government has ever seen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Personnel_Management_data_breach

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 18, 2020

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

TheBuilder posted:

So what's the reading on this Tiktok offer? 20% minority share for Oracle for some ungodly billions and Bytedance remains majority owner - what is the value of being a technology partner? Is WeChat still on the upcoming shitlist? The United States seems to be coming off weak here. Just block the fuckin poo poo.

seems like it's just straight graft. as long as trump is getting a taste via campaign contributions from ellison, he doesn't actually care about any trojan horsery in tiktok or anything else.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Seems like I spoke too soon: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/tech/tiktok-download-commerce/index.html

quote:

Washington (CNN Business)The Commerce Department plans to restrict access to TikTok and WeChat on Sunday as the Trump administration's executive orders against the two apps are set to take effect.

The Department said Friday that as of Sunday, any moves to distribute or maintain WeChat or TikTok on an app store will be prohibited.

In addition, the Department said, it will be illegal to host or transfer internet traffic associated with WeChat beginning Sunday. The same will be true for TikTok as of Nov. 12, it said.
Further restrictions could still be announced later, including against other apps if they are seen to be used as workarounds.

"Today's actions prove once again that President Trump will do everything in his power to guarantee our national security and protect Americans from the threats of the Chinese Communist Party," said Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in a release. "At the President's direction, we have taken significant action to combat China's malicious collection of American citizens' personal data, while promoting our national values, democratic rules-based norms, and aggressive enforcement of U.S. laws and regulations."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's a cnbc article: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/18/trump-to-block-us-downloads-of-tiktok-wechat-on-sunday-officials-tell-reuters.html

This could be that trump just hasn't relayed to wilbur that he's going to allow larry to become their trusted us partner or whatever the arrangement is.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I don't know international business law very well, but I wonder how this could affect multinationals that have operating entities within the US, and how that would affect these blocks - for US market customers only, or would it have a ripple effect into Korea, Japan, Europe, etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TheBuilder posted:

I don't know international business law very well, but I wonder how this could affect multinationals that have operating entities within the US, and how that would affect these blocks - for US market customers only, or would it have a ripple effect into Korea, Japan, Europe, etc.

It's funny you ask because I guarantee that Trump has never even considered the consequences of his actions.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's a cnbc article: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/18/trump-to-block-us-downloads-of-tiktok-wechat-on-sunday-officials-tell-reuters.html

This could be that trump just hasn't relayed to wilbur that he's going to allow larry to become their trusted us partner or whatever the arrangement is.

Will it be possible to use WeChat with a VPN (like FB in China) or is this just blocking future app updates, or will it be automatically removed from phones entirely? Lots of people have family on both sides.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The text reads like they may put the hammer down on VPNs that have Wechat traffic on them. I imagine it removes the app from the store, but also blocks any Wechat traffic. Sorry for your family concerns - perhaps you should use...oh wait, everything else is blocked in China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

IT BURNS posted:

Will it be possible to use WeChat with a VPN (like FB in China) or is this just blocking future app updates, or will it be automatically removed from phones entirely? Lots of people have family on both sides.

They can't just remove it from your phone, I don't think there's any mechanism for that. I wonder if there are free VPNs to connect to China though. lol at having to VPN in to China.

E: Though I guess I should be able to just VPN to any other country, doesn't have to be to China.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 18, 2020

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Looks like it's already a rough morning for Huawei

https://kojenov.com/2020-09-15-hisilicon-encoder-vulnerabilities/

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

There's no Great Firewall in the US so there's no way for them to literally block Wechat, and I'm 99.9% sure it's not possible for an outside party to wipe an app from a normal iOS/Android device. It's possible they're using CDN servers based in the US to deliver content there or American firms to provide data/services (Google Maps for mapping? I doubt it, but maybe), so they'd have to do workarounds for that. Definitely forget about using Wechat pay in the US (though there's very few reasons you'd want to anyway).

What's probably going to happen is that the app will disappear from US app stores, you won't be able to install it on new devices, and the service might be slow/clunky. There's enough users in the US that there will be an incentive for Wechat to figure out workarounds to maintain service. Not to mention the Chinese government has a veiled interest in keeping the overseas diaspora (and those they communicate with back in China) inside the Chinese walled garden of the internet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I mean, at the moment I assume this will be the Trump admin saying "WeChat is blocked now, we have defeated China forever" but never actually doing anything, like everything else they do. I'd be surprised if the service is affected at all.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I'm not a smarty internet man, but if executive orders are issued that its illegal to move Wechat data across US networks, isn't that essentially the same thing - a legal firewall?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Porfiriato posted:

There's no Great Firewall in the US so there's no way for them to literally block Wechat, and I'm 99.9% sure it's not possible for an outside party to wipe an app from a normal iOS/Android device. It's possible they're using CDN servers based in the US to deliver content there or American firms to provide data/services (Google Maps for mapping? I doubt it, but maybe), so they'd have to do workarounds for that. Definitely forget about using Wechat pay in the US (though there's very few reasons you'd want to anyway).

What's probably going to happen is that the app will disappear from US app stores, you won't be able to install it on new devices, and the service might be slow/clunky. There's enough users in the US that there will be an incentive for Wechat to figure out workarounds to maintain service. Not to mention the Chinese government has a veiled interest in keeping the overseas diaspora (and those they communicate with back in China) inside the Chinese walled garden of the internet.

Yeah, we'll see soon enough. My question is why isn't the ACLU all over this with a freedom of speech lawsuit?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

IT BURNS posted:

Yeah, we'll see soon enough. My question is why isn't the ACLU all over this with a freedom of speech lawsuit?

Their lawyers are dropping dead from exhaustion

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

IT BURNS posted:

Foreign governments don't have rights afforded to citizens in the United States

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

TheBuilder posted:

The text reads like they may put the hammer down on VPNs that have Wechat traffic on them. I imagine it removes the app from the store, but also blocks any Wechat traffic. Sorry for your family concerns - perhaps you should use...oh wait, everything else is blocked in China.

Facetime works, for now.

IT BURNS posted:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/35941810/US_WeChat_Users_Alliance_et_al

In the last update I saw, the government was arguing the suit was moot because users of wechat will not be subject to criminal liability for using wechat. Thanks.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Oracle deal looks pretty half rear end, minimum effort to stay in business. The whole point of a full buy out is to remove direct Chinese access to the data. Anything crossing GFW will still be picked up. There is no guarantee the data isn't gets copied and shunted there anyway unwillingly without full ownership thus separate network. If the WH legit wants to gently caress over WeChat they will have to block the deal.

The destruction of WeChat won't nor ever be technological and it's the dumbest method anyway. Too many holes and collateral damage. It will be via financial means and liability. That's how US sanctions work. You don't blockade via parking ships off the coast or metaphorical equivalents. If a company/country can't do business it is better than ships. It's how Meng got snapped up.

My guess is Wechat gets removed from app stores(maybe outside the US also), side loading can continue nor will existing installations be removed as there is no mechanism to do so. Updates can potentially happen from outside via self patching bypassing the App stores although not for Apple as it is closed garden. Servers migrate out to companies that don't have a US presence. Wechat closes offices within the US as they can't transact thus can't do business as banks close all their accounts telling them to gently caress off.

Personal use will continue without legal issues but likely face degraded service. You won't need to use a VPN.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lol wut what does banning WeChat in the US even do, functionally (i mean i know you'll no longer be able to download it from app stores probably, but i digress). i tried to set up WeChat back when my brother was working in China and had limited access to other messaging apps cause his VPN was flaky, but WeChat instantly banned _me_ as an apparent spam risk, and declared that i'd need to find someone with an account created inside the PRC and active for over 6mo to vouch for my being real. probably could have managed that through Chinese work colleagues, but didn't bother

not exactly like WeChat is particularly unique in this regard (lol, try signing up for Twitter without giving them a phone number nowadays, and enjoy being immediately lost in a bullshit review process arbitrated by contract workers who give no fucks about false positives, despite being useless at not having false negatives either), but drat

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Thousands upon thousands of Chinese ex-pats, students, and others etc no longer able to use their primary method of back home communication - I assume if they are doing super nefarious stuff, they are using something other than Wechat to send back reports, but ultimately, its reciprocal for all of the poo poo that is blocked inside China for the last 10+ years.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
standard trump modus operandi, hurt people who haven't done anything

VVV true, but so does every other company

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 18, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The article posted:

While most vulnerabilities seem unintentional (i.e. coding mistakes), one of them stands out. The hardcoded password is a deliberate backdoor. Chinese companies such as Huawei are known for backdooring their products (and even trying to explain how backdoors are good), so it is not a surprise their HiSilicon video encoders are backdoored as well.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a signal that things are getting serious and backhanded acknowledgement that Chinese companies are extensions of the CCP. The CCP has no equivalent response available. It's already blocked everything. If the US can do so much damage to a Chinese company with so little effort think of the other companies we can hit next.

Picking WeChat makes little sense if you want to do serious damage. My overwhelming feeling is it got picked because Trump saw it on Fox News that day. If you pay attention actions that do real damage have nothing to do with Trump.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Porfiriato posted:

There's no Great Firewall in the US so there's no way for them to literally block Wechat, and I'm 99.9% sure it's not possible for an outside party to wipe an app from a normal iOS/Android device.

it's not possible to remove the existing apps from phones, and it's unlikely that traffic for them will be blocked. but most of these apps work on version control and if yours doesn't match the numbers of the service host, you probably won't be able to interface with them. and if they're banned from app stores, the only way to update to the current version would be to install apks manually, which is too high of a bar for nearly all users. it's like how skype 1.2 (aka the last good version of skype) can't connect with microsoft's servers because the version is too wrong. now imagine this except instead of the header number being different, wechat's servers will reject your connection attempt because it expects ver 1.95778a but you have 1.95778

it's not because they're stupid or incompetent. it's just rule #1 of all software dev: if it's a pain in the rear end to get working, people will just find something easier

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 18, 2020

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

two articles from Both Sides™ on the wechat ban:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/08/14/wechat-trap-chinas-diaspora (for)
https://lausan.hk/2020/who-bears-the-cost-wechat-ban/ (against)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

The White Dragon posted:

it's not possible to remove the existing apps from phones,
It’s definitely possible on iOS.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I'm pretty sure Apple got in some hot water over doing exactly that a few years ago. They don't need to delete anything from people's phones though. The government isn't going to make it illegal to use/download these apps either. As mentioned above, simply banning them from app stores is enough to effectively kill mainstream usage of them in the US.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mozi posted:

VVV true, but so does every other company
In what capacity?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is a stupid question. So I am sorry.

I know google, and facebook etc. are banned in China for being disharmonious, or whatever reason.

What about Kakao? The WeChat in all but name favoured in Korea. Or WhatsApp? Which all of my Indian relatives are using? Or even something else, that I am too much of a luddite to know the name of?

I know WeChat is the most popular, and the CCP does love it's monopolies. But surely if it becomes a pain in the arse for US based Chinese people to communicate with their relatives/friends back home in WeChat, they will just switch to one of the ones mentioned above?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

In what capacity?

just in terms of being insecure and having stupid backdoors

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a stupid question. So I am sorry.

I know google, and facebook etc. are banned in China for being disharmonious, or whatever reason.

What about Kakao? The WeChat in all but name favoured in Korea. Or WhatsApp? Which all of my Indian relatives are using? Or even something else, that I am too much of a luddite to know the name of?

I know WeChat is the most popular, and the CCP does love it's monopolies. But surely if it becomes a pain in the arse for US based Chinese people to communicate with their relatives/friends back home in WeChat, they will just switch to one of the ones mentioned above?

Don’t know about Kakao, but WhatsApp is banned.

Edit: according to this site, Kakao is also banned: https://www.saporedicina.com/english/list-of-blocked-websites-in-china/

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 19, 2020

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mozi posted:

It's absolutely untrue that all (or even most, or even a significant number of) tech companies have what appear to be intentional backdoors built into their software.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mozi posted:

Insecure is a "maybe" although extremely prevalent with IoT nonsense, but a backdoor is something they have to design. If you leave an obvious vulnerability you have plausible deniability, but it's usually an undeclared account in the remote access server, keeping a second copy of an encryption key, or something even less subtle. The latter is really obvious to smart reverse engineers who disassemble your code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jigsaw posted:

Don’t know about Kakao, but WhatsApp is banned.

Edit: according to this site, Kakao is also banned: https://www.saporedicina.com/english/list-of-blocked-websites-in-china/

Kakao gets banned and unbanned and throttled at random. It worked 90% of the time I lived in China. It didn't work when China was butthurt about THAAD, coincidentally.