Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

My current ad and script blockers stop the comments under Guardian articles from loading, which is doing wonders for my blood pressure.
:yeah:

I think it's been around 15 years since I could see newspaper comments without having to take a bunch of deliberate actions, and at least 12 years since I realized that doing so was never worthwhile. Even my phone, which delighted in showing me the most smooth brained of takes via news aggregator apps a couple of years ago, has given up.

e: Today's thought for the day:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well the BBC is reporting on the possibility of England-wide restrictions now, which means it's definitely going to happen.

Looking forward to the new slogan

STOP HUGGING > STOP PARTYING > SAVE CHRISTMAS

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well the BBC is reporting on the possibility of England-wide restrictions now, which means it's definitely going to happen.

I can't help wondering how "We're not allowed to say Christmas in case we offend THEM" will fit into this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i was wanting to post this

irish republican sympathies :argh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can't help wondering how "We're not allowed to say Christmas in case we offend THEM" will fit into this.

Remember when THEM were blamed for spreading the virus? Maybe THEM will be accused of doing so deliberately in a concerted effort to cancel the hated christmas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i was wanting to post this

irish republican sympathies :argh:
Can't trust that Biden, he's a republican.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Never thought I'd have an iota of enthusiasm for Biden winning but here we are

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Schools and work to stay open, pubs to close a bit earlier. Hancock "we're doing everything we can to stop the second wave!"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Remember when THEM were blamed for spreading the virus? Maybe THEM will be accused of doing so deliberately in a concerted effort to cancel the hated christmas

This Christmas, whatever you do, Don't.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Private Speech posted:

Yeah if they mean to remove their internal migration restriction system (i.e. the hukou permit system) then if anything that's allowing natural migration to happen, rather than restricting it to avoid overwhelming urban infrastructure (if we're being charitable anyway).

I think the hukou permit system was used as a means to deny workers health care while forcing them to live and work in the cities and so they would not have to spend money on expanding the health care and other infrastructure to match the increased need.

If they really wanted to help people in the rural areas IMO they could've spent some money on infrastructure and education where they where living, instead of doing stuff like building ghost cities. This made me wonder if they're trying to make people move into those places, or if they want them as fuel for their existing factory hubs / just a way to depress wages.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pistol_Pete posted:

My current ad and script blockers stop the comments under Guardian articles from loading, which is doing wonders for my blood pressure.

BBC comments are still the best for that.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Finally, a year I don't have to go to Christmas markets or shopping, or work, or anything. Maybe we'll even get UBI.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/thugclive/status/1306635045927518209

lol

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gonna tell people that the Tories cancelled Christmas.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1306840612159868929

Some kind of amusing bitter nihilism watching them actually have to acknowledge reality, and they can't just ignore or strong arm a loving virus into going away, and actually might have to enable an action (again) to protect peoples' lives rather than MONEY NUMBER GOES UP.

Which isn't to say they won't do everything possible to avoid doing it, and probably try to enact other feeble useless poo poo in the mean time, until things literally force their hands. Again.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 18, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some kind of amusing bitter nihilism watching them actually have to acknowledge reality, and they can't just ignore or strong arm a loving virus into going away, and actually might have to enable an action (again) to protect peoples' lives rather than MONEY NUMBER GOES UP.
And then they pick the option which is worst for both human life and money number, but maximizes the amount of money number that goes to their friends' bank accounts.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

And then they pick the option which is worst for both human life and money number, but maximizes the amount of money number that goes to their friends' bank accounts.

Oh yeah that's where the bitter nihilism part comes in. :smith:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

That poor man :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/thugclive/status/1306648117245284354?s=19

:laffo:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Pesky Splinter posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1306840612159868929

Which isn't to say they won't do everything possible to avoid doing it, and probably try to enact other feeble useless poo poo in the mean time, until things literally force their hands. Again.

I haven't listened to it yet but his R4 interview this morning was apparently pure doublespeak. Transmission in the workplace is very low. Unless by workplace you mean hospitality. People are more likely to catch covid from a stranger but most people catch it from someone they know. That kind of stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I entirely believe that matt hancock thinks going full National Action is the last line of defence for the UK.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lungboy posted:

I haven't listened to it yet but his R4 interview this morning was apparently pure doublespeak. Transmission in the workplace is very low. Unless by workplace you mean hospitality. People are more likely to catch covid from a stranger but most people catch it from someone they know. That kind of stuff.

I see.

loving hell. :shepicide:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The Full National Action is a sex move

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Holy poo poo that’s amazing.

Also “thugclive”.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
how could anyone survive such heinous slurs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I entirely believe that matt hancock thinks going full National Action is the last line of defence for the UK.
I think he's more National Waffle and gently caress Up.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

It disappoints me when people ITT can't recognise someone obviously doing a bit

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Yeah I would be 90%* confident Clive is taking the piss, very successfully it seems

* I mean he was a Vice writer, and honestly I can never be too sure these days

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/stellarossssa/status/1306892104082235392?s=19

I'd forgotten about this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

The problem is it's absolutely a point someone could be making sincerely and I don't care enough to snoop through someone's timeline to see if they are actually related to Tim Martin or write for Vice

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Poe’s Law strikes again

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Every time I think we need to go full Logan's run on the olds I think of her and this Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlj48Rvp1c

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mega Comrade posted:

BBC comments are still the best for that.

The discovery of life on Venus is nothing compared to the discovery that there's some sort of BBC comments community of regulars, committed to posting in an atmosphere of 90% piss.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

loving hell that's brilliant

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh dear what a shame.

How do you think it felt coming into work the Monday after the Feb 2003 weekend anti-Iraq war march in London to find my desk covered in photocopies of portraits of Osama Bin Laden and getting referred to as Osama for the next 6 months? As in "Hey, Osama, aren't you coming to this meeting?" (I just did exaggerated rolly eyes + a loud tut in response.)

(I have no idea if Clive is being serious or not!)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh dear what a shame.

How do you think it felt coming into work the Monday after the Feb 2003 weekend anti-Iraq war march in London to find my desk covered in photocopies of portraits of Osama Bin Laden and getting referred to as Osama for the next 6 months? As in "Hey, Osama, aren't you coming to this meeting?" (I just did exaggerated rolly eyes + a loud tut in response.)

(I have no idea if Clive is being serious or not!)

Jesus Christ.

Why the hell wouldn’t you take your employers to a tribunal for that sort of poo poo? I’ll admit to being perhaps readier to sue for employment poo poo than most (2 for 2 on my longer term employers; one of the reasons I refuse to work for anyone but myself now), but that surely breached sooo many laws, rules and guidelines.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Camrath posted:

Jesus Christ.

Why the hell wouldn’t you take your employers to a tribunal for that sort of poo poo? I’ll admit to being perhaps readier to sue for employment poo poo than most (2 for 2 on my longer term employers; one of the reasons I refuse to work for anyone but myself now), but that surely breached sooo many laws, rules and guidelines.

I know exactly what day the Gulf War started.

It was my tenth birthday. I was called Saddam Hussain all day.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Grey Hunter posted:

I know exactly what day the Gulf War started.

It was my tenth birthday. I was called Saddam Hussain all day.

Ugh, people suck.

Worst I had was the day after Dunblane- the dude had the same surname as me and I was the weird kid who loved shooting.

Which is nothing in comparison, obviously.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

peanut- posted:

weeeeeelllllll...

https://twitter.com/thugclive/status/1306679355960111105

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Camrath posted:

Jesus Christ.

I entered the workforce in the days when women employed in majority male workplaces were just supposed to 'roll with the bantz' on all manner of topics and after 30 years you get used it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Someone just said gently caress in the Lords.

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/c66ed562-704f-428d-978c-d2f1c2ae043e?in=11:22:20