Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MRLOLAST posted:

So big joke about battlescribe getting shut down. Lots of ruckus on the interwebs and many angry emails sent to GW. Maybe this will make the other shoe drop and it actually gets shut down

Where on Earth are you hearing this? People have been screaming about BS dying weekly since 9th dropped.

Edit: Ah I see, I'm dumb. One of the devs made a tone-deaf joke and now nerds are doing what nerds love to do best and are slinging death threats.

I loving hate these losers so much.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SteelMentor posted:

Where on Earth are you hearing this? People have been screaming about BS dying weekly since 9th dropped.

Edit: Ah I see, I'm dumb. One of the devs made a tone-deaf joke and now nerds are doing what nerds love to do best and are slinging death threats.

I loving hate these losers so much.

This is gonna sound like victim blaming a bit but uh

The internet is an anonymous throng of literally billions of people, and about a quarter of them speak at least a little english. An extremely wide variety of opinions exist online from all walks of life and a variety of conflicting cultures leading people to have strong and weird opinions that are only vicariously applicable to things coming out of the woodwork any time the wires cross, and millions of people literally are paid to destabilize corporate entities and governments through corruption of discourse

If you make a lovely antagonistic joke into the void somebody is probably gonna go too far in responding to it, be it because of their strongly held opinions about the subject, their desire to manipulate the value of the company or their competitor, their desire to affect political change unrelated to the subject at hand through breeding cultural toxicity, their deeply held religious beliefs about women using spreadsheets, or just general poo poo stirring for the lulz

The only way to win is not to play

edit: but seriously if there's one thing I've learned around here over the years it's that nobody responds well to antagonism and often times being antagonistic just attracts people into a situation who might have otherwise kept to themselves. A lot of those people take that way too far, even on a small scale like an internet forum, because people running in to pile on tend to be the people who were looking for a fight in the first place

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 18, 2020

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
What even was the joke? I tried to look but couldn't find it.

But gently caress catering to people who get death-threat mad at the devs who make something that adds tons of value to their hobby, for FREE because someone tweeted something.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Like, yes, gently caress anyone sending death threats, but this was an incredibly dumb joke to make.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

What even was the joke? I tried to look but couldn't find it.

But gently caress catering to people who get death-threat mad at the devs who make something that adds tons of value to their hobby, for FREE because someone tweeted something.

Patch notes were titled "DMCA Letter received, thanks for all the fish"

Then Spikey Bitz took it at face value and ran an article without the slightest bit of fact checking because they're actually the worst.

Devs were playing silly games and riled up the absolute stupidest idiots in the hobby.

Half wish the 40k module would get culled, Battlescribe encourages such bad habits in the average Ham. My old store part banned it for a while it was getting so bad, people refusing to buy or even 'buy' Codexes "coz its all on BS innit", not providing readily available lists, fiddling points etc.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yeah to be honest I wouldn't mind going back to paper lists, I already decided I'd print mine off for the next game (albeit from BS), as well as scanning stratagem from the codex. Constantly scrolling around on the phone is such a pain.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Crabposting

And of course, more gaunts. I ran out of grass so they'll get based at some future point.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Trying to free up some painting space so I've been working on projects that are mostly done and just need to be finished up. Last night was this handsome fellow:

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
He is very handsome. I like the scribbling. Mine always comes out looking bad so I am a transfer kinda guy.
Makes me want to add extra details to my dialogus I am working on. Like shading my browns in different colors instead of just being lazy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ro5s posted:

Crabposting

Awesome. Your approach to edge highlighting makes it look like something out of a comic book.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ro5s posted:

Crabposting

If he doesn't always scuttle down the table sideways I'd be disappointed.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Commissar Canuck posted:

Trying to free up some painting space so I've been working on projects that are mostly done and just need to be finished up. Last night was this handsome fellow:

Nice.

Also, that's a really nice skull helmet.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Stephenls posted:

Also, that's a really nice skull helmet.

yeah no poo poo. where's it from?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

peer posted:

yeah no poo poo. where's it from?

Looks like one of these: https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/space-warriors/imperial-confessor-heads-set-3u/

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So I finished the Chaos Lord I was painting after I saved him from ebay, since the first photos were in the old thread, I'll post them here for each of the stages

Between the bit where I added the plastic bits and the final product I extended his base to 40mm instead of the 32mm it came on, and I also used a bit from the empire flagellant kit to give him the book behind his head.

I'm pretty pleased with him, now to finish the dark apostle, and a 5 man CSM squad with bolt pistols and chain swords. The CSM models all have bits from flagellant kits and other things to add scrolls and purity seals (seals of corruption? Unpurity seals?) and stuff. The dark apostle has the awesome dark angels mace and so will a couple of the Aspiring Champions.

Then I've got the Start Collecting set for my birthday next month, and my Keeper of Secrets which gives me more than enough for a crusade force.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've got a bunch of Kakophoni from 30k and I was reading Goonhammer's lists for Chaos. The all noise boys and terminator list really appeals to me since it's everything I like and looks affordable to boot given I have the troops.

I reckon this list looks really fun and interesting to play.

Emperors Children Battalion Detachment (-1 CP, 1,999 points)
Legion: Emperor’s Children

HQ: Sorcerer in Terminator Armour w/chainaxe, force stave (106), Powers: Prescience, Delightful Agonies
HQ: Winged Daemon Prince w/Malefic Talons (200), Warlord: Loathsome Grace, Power: Warptime, Relic: Armour of Abhorrence (-1 CP)
HQ: Dark Apostle w/2x Dark Disciples (90), Prayer: Illusory Supplication, Relic: Remnant of the Maraviglia

Troops: Noise Marines x15 w/Sonic Blasters, 2x Blastmasters (325)
Troops: Noise Marines x9 w/Sonic Blasters, Blastmaster (194)

Elites: Terminators x10 w/Combi-Plasma, 7x w/Chainaxe, 3x w/Chainfist (367)
Elites: Terminators x10 w/Combi-Melta, 7x w/Chainaxe, 3x w/Chainfist (367)

DT: Chaos Rhino w/Combi-bolter (78)

Can anyone recommend a model for a Slaanesh Daemon Prince conversion? I like the standard one, but making something cool and different would be fun given he's a HQ. Anything in daemons or AOS fit the bill?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I've actually bought some stuff to make a press mould as I realised I probably want 5 terminators with combi plasma and the box only comes with a single combi plasma bit.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

JBP posted:

I've got a bunch of Kakophoni from 30k and I was reading Goonhammer's lists for Chaos. The all noise boys and terminator list really appeals to me since it's everything I like and looks affordable to boot given I have the troops.

I reckon this list looks really fun and interesting to play.

Emperors Children Battalion Detachment (-1 CP, 1,999 points)
Legion: Emperor’s Children

HQ: Sorcerer in Terminator Armour w/chainaxe, force stave (106), Powers: Prescience, Delightful Agonies
HQ: Winged Daemon Prince w/Malefic Talons (200), Warlord: Loathsome Grace, Power: Warptime, Relic: Armour of Abhorrence (-1 CP)
HQ: Dark Apostle w/2x Dark Disciples (90), Prayer: Illusory Supplication, Relic: Remnant of the Maraviglia

Troops: Noise Marines x15 w/Sonic Blasters, 2x Blastmasters (325)

Elites: Terminators x10 w/Combi-Plasma, 7x w/Chainaxe, 3x w/Chainfist (367)
Elites: Terminators x10 w/Combi-Melta, 7x w/Chainaxe, 3x w/Chainfist (367)

Can anyone recommend a model for a Slaanesh Daemon Prince conversion? I like the standard one, but making something cool and different would be fun given he's a HQ. Anything in daemons or AOS fit the bill?

You will want power fists over chain fists imo. The point was the flat damage made them reliable and the October codex is going to switch chain fists to variable damage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

akulanization posted:

You will want power fists over chain fists imo. The point was the flat damage made them reliable and the October codex is going to switch chain fists to variable damage.

Cool thanks. I probably won't start in earnest until there's more codices out and stuff anyway.

Also I think the rerolls not affecting the source is kind of stupid. Like wouldn't a guy screaming how to shoot more accurately be able to also shoot more accurately himself?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Cool thanks. I probably won't start in earnest until there's more codices out and stuff anyway.

Also I think the rerolls not affecting the source is kind of stupid. Like wouldn't a guy screaming how to shoot more accurately be able to also shoot more accurately himself?

That's why he hits on a 2+ instead of the 3+ of thr guys he's yelling at.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JBP posted:

When have you ever had a boss who practiced what they preached?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I guess. I'm probably salty because my sniper captain has lost all of his utility in my list so I'll just go back to using a beat stick instead

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Yup, wanted something different for the Indomitus box chaplain and executioner guy and that pack worked perfectly.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

Nah it's as daft as the IG Tank Commanders simply ordering themselves to shoot better every turn. It's annoying that using tank commanders who shout at themselves constantly is one of the only reason leman russes are even competitive.

I mean realistically a re-roll is about as good as +1 to hit, so if you think about it their advice/direction/expertise is sort of built into their profile.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

thanks!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kitchner posted:

It's annoying that using tank commanders who shout at themselves constantly is one of the only reason leman russes are even competitive.

Actually, I think you'll find that self-criticism struggle sessions are a crucial part of avoiding counterrevolutionary thought and practices?

:shrug:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

Nah it's as daft as the IG Tank Commanders simply ordering themselves to shoot better every turn. It's annoying that using tank commanders who shout at themselves constantly is one of the only reason leman russes are even competitive.

Unlike marine captains, IG tank commanders have a crew with them so you could reason it as they're yelling at them rather than undertaking an acute session of self reflection.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

When have you ever had a boss who practiced what they preached?

Chapter Middle Manager

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Z the IVth posted:

Unlike marine captains, IG tank commanders have a crew with them so you could reason it as they're yelling at them rather than undertaking an acute session of self reflection.

That would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that every leman russ has someone in charge of the crew telling them what to do.

It's supposed to represent a strict chain of command, and yet you just spam tank commanders who tell at themselves. If prefer to see then limited to one per detachment, they can't give themselves orders, but they can give more orders like 2+ each.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I ventured onto Plague Planet and ended up with a copy of Indomitus :toot: Since Deathwatch is getting all the Primaris goodies, time to pull the trigger

Still gotta finish my Kill Team

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kitchner posted:

That would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that every leman russ has someone in charge of the crew telling them what to do.

It's supposed to represent a strict chain of command, and yet you just spam tank commanders who tell at themselves. If prefer to see then limited to one per detachment, they can't give themselves orders, but they can give more orders like 2+ each.

Odds are that Russes won't be CORE once the IG codex hits, so the ability to self-order will almost certainly vanish then. Of course we have no idea how long it'll be until a Guard codex hits, so until then get those Tank Commanders ordering themselves!

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Odds are that Russes won't be CORE once the IG codex hits, so the ability to self-order will almost certainly vanish then. Of course we have no idea how long it'll be until a Guard codex hits, so until then get those Tank Commanders ordering themselves!

Guard are already pretty bad, I can’t see them taking away self buffing unless the orders themselves get much more powerful (and maybe have a restriction on duplicate orders unless you take a relic).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord
Yeah, so many armies rely on multiple tank commanders self buffing right now to even be remotely competitive, so that would be terrible.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Like I say, if it were up to me leman russes would be a lot cheaper and tank commanders would give 2+ orders a turn, with a big radius. That would encourage me to take more bog standard russes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got a question about conversions/kitbashes, namely, anyone got some examples of good Inquisitor conversions?

For some reason, I've got a hankering to build a diorama of an Inquisitor and retinue fighting a... Daemon or something. I was thinking about using a Stormcast as the foundation, but I think they might be too tall.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
imo they should let guard issue orders to entire detachment slots or something similar, so that a single tank commander can order an entire group of 3 russes or whatever. The same for guard infantry, bringing back some kind of detachment system similar to the previous ones with a command section and led orders impact the whole group. Orders are what make guard interesting on the table beyond being generic t3 humans with tanks. Just lean straight into it and bump up their impact on the army overall. Orders could easily be the difference in making BS4 regular rear end guard units viable or attractive instead of relying on spamming tank commanders to be any kind of effective, and there is no reason to think that the current orders are the only ones that will be available moving forward either.

I have a feeling that despite being a refinement of 8th, the 9th edition codex's are going to bring a serious departure in mechanics and design philosophy for most of the older armies like guard and eldar. I don't think 9th codex's are going to look anything like 8th ones, and I would be quite surprised and disappointed if all they did was move a few stratagems around and update the weapons.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cthulu Carl posted:

Got a question about conversions/kitbashes, namely, anyone got some examples of good Inquisitor conversions?

For some reason, I've got a hankering to build a diorama of an Inquisitor and retinue fighting a... Daemon or something. I was thinking about using a Stormcast as the foundation, but I think they might be too tall.

I recently "converted" a grey knight terminator into an Ordo Malleus inquisitor in terminator armour, but really all I did was give him an intercessor head and give him the shoulder pads from the limited edition chaplain (who got grey knight shoulder pads). Not sure if you're after something more exotic though.

If I was doing an inquisitor diorama, personally I'd have Eisenhorn and Cherubael fighting a daemon.

Edit:

Here he is, but he's a WIP still:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Now I'm looking at the chaos terminator kit in more detail the more I see its a shite kit.

So many options and the kit is so limited. Everyone can have chain axes? Cool, there's one in the box. Power axes? One in the box. Power mauls? One in the box. Power fists? Two. Combi plasma? One. Combi melta? Two.

You can't kit them out to do anything as a group, I don't even think there's enough for five models with combi-bolters and the same close combat weapon. It's mad, imagine space marine terminator boxes where it didn't have five storm bolters and five power fists.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

Now I'm looking at the chaos terminator kit in more detail the more I see its a shite kit.

So many options and the kit is so limited. Everyone can have chain axes? Cool, there's one in the box. Power axes? One in the box. Power mauls? One in the box. Power fists? Two. Combi plasma? One. Combi melta? Two.

You can't kit them out to do anything as a group, I don't even think there's enough for five models with combi-bolters and the same close combat weapon. It's mad, imagine space marine terminator boxes where it didn't have five storm bolters and five power fists.

Terminators are 4 power fists and a power sword, so that's trivial to imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The space wolves terminators box comes with great melee options but no combi weapons which is also super annoying.

Also no cyclone upgrade.