Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

Why is everybody so hung up on the FE anyway? From what the reviews I've read over the past two days said it's actually the worst of all of them? Lowest performance, highest temperatures and fan noise despite the 'revolutionary' design.

Is it because they are slightly cheaper?

For me it has the best price to performance, noise/temp/perf are within a small percent of AIBs. Stuff that isn’t at all worth a £100-£200 premium.

Plus I think its the only actual 2-slot card and I plan to move to mITX with Zen3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

A question about size : my case (Meshify C) has room for a 315mm gpu with the front fans mounted. The two front-mounted 140mm fans are the main air intake for my case, with two exhausts at the back and top of the case.

If I get a bigass 3-fan card, it will basically be almost touching the bottom front fan, straight in the middle of the fan; would that ruin the airflow completely leading to stagnant pockets of hot air beneath the GPU or other problems? Or it's fine as long as it fits?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Remember that the GPU isn't as wide as the case, so there's room for air to move around, even if it takes up the whole case lengthwise. As long as you let the intake fans run fast enough, you'll be fine. Also some air is going to escape in the mesh by the card slot shields, and the rear bracket, as long as you run positive air pressure.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

ijyt posted:

For me it has the best price to performance, noise/temp/perf are within a small percent of AIBs. Stuff that isn’t at all worth a £100-£200 premium.

Plus I think its the only actual 2-slot card and I plan to move to mITX with Zen3.

Same thing for me. I don't worry about these tiny differences in performance or heat.

Also, no ship or cancellation notice from US Nvidia yet on my 3080.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TorakFade posted:

A question about size : my case (Meshify C) has room for a 315mm gpu with the front fans mounted. The two front-mounted 140mm fans are the main air intake for my case, with two exhausts at the back and top of the case.

If I get a bigass 3-fan card, it will basically be almost touching the bottom front fan, straight in the middle of the fan; would that ruin the airflow completely leading to stagnant pockets of hot air beneath the GPU or other problems? Or it's fine as long as it fits?

The center of the fan is already a deadzone because of the motor. You might bisect the airstream, but with that case I'd bet a 3080 you have more than enough airflow anyway.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bloodplay it again posted:

They'd have to get the techtuber review samples back in new packaging to meet these kinds of numbers. I'm doubtful.

Why would you be doubtful of one of the most reputable YouTube reviewers on the scene who has proven contacts throughout the industry?

It matches what leakers have been saying before launch that whispers of short supply by Nvidia was just fake news designed to pump up demand more.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

MikeC posted:

Why would you be doubtful of one of the most reputable YouTube reviewers on the scene who has proven contacts throughout the industry?

It matches what leakers have been saying before launch that whispers of short supply by Nvidia was just fake news designed to pump up demand more.

It was a joke regarding the number of available cards. Maybe not as succinct as ijyt's joke?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gotta get that 0.1% extra back :thumbsup:

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

a) At this point people are frantically trying to buy whatever they can
b) people like the aesthetic
c) better performance from the aibs comes at the cost of size; at 285mm long and 2 slot the FE will fit where other cards may not

Also, due to the unique PCB shape, it looks like there will be some very interesting and space saving waterblocks available. It looks like EK is coming out with one that has the fittings in line with the card instead of hanging off the side.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MonkeyFit posted:

Also, due to the unique PCB shape, it looks like there will be some very interesting and space saving waterblocks available. It looks like EK is coming out with one that has the fittings in line with the card instead of hanging off the side.

I'm wondering how many ITX builds would suddenly have space for a small pump+res combo instead of relying on an AIO.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MikeC posted:

the joke is that Nvidia sent so many review cards to so many techtubers that if Nvidia asked for all of them back, it would significantly increase the amount of available stock for consumers

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MonkeyFit posted:

This is my reason. I build SFF stuff, and the unique size and shape of the FE has a lot of potential for stupid amounts of power in stupidly small spaces.

ijyt posted:

I'm wondering how many ITX builds would suddenly have space for a small pump+res combo instead of relying on an AIO.

More than you think, and if you have patience for it you can eschew the res. Or buy a saddle bag pump-res like I have on my Ncase M1. You could also replumb an Alphacool Eisbaer.

Do you even SFF?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

VorpalFish posted:

a) At this point people are frantically trying to buy whatever they can
b) people like the aesthetic
c) better performance from the aibs comes at the cost of size; at 285mm long and 2 slot the FE will fit where other cards may not

I'm in group C here. The cooler design and card length will go great in my case.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Der Shovel posted:

And apparently Elkjöp/Elgiganten/Gigantti never had any cards in stock, and their lovely website is just set up in a way that they have to "have stock" to be able to sell preorders, so the 25+ stocks were 100% bullshit to begin with, and now everyone is getting those "your order will now ship on $two_weeks_from_now" emails, and will do so until the cards actually turn up.

Yeah, I can vouch for that they didn't show the "2 month delivery" notice when they first showed the cards as "in stock". After a few minutes, they added a grey notice about 2 month delivery when you hovered the pointer over the item, but today they've slapped a highly visible yellow notice on all the 3000-series cards about the 2 month delivery, and unlike yesterday this notice is visible without hovering your mouse over the product.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vir posted:

Remember that the GPU isn't as wide as the case, so there's room for air to move around, even if it takes up the whole case lengthwise. As long as you let the intake fans run fast enough, you'll be fine. Also some air is going to escape in the mesh by the card slot shields, and the rear bracket, as long as you run positive air pressure.

Warmachine posted:

The center of the fan is already a deadzone because of the motor. You might bisect the airstream, but with that case I'd bet a 3080 you have more than enough airflow anyway.

now to find a 3080 to buy... I'm not in a huge hurry, but I'd really like to get one before Cyberpunk 2077 (if they delay it again that'll be almost certain am I right? :v: )

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Warmachine posted:

This is my reason. I build SFF stuff, and the unique size and shape of the FE has a lot of potential for stupid amounts of power in stupidly small spaces.

More than you think, and if you have patience for it you can eschew the res. Or buy a saddle bag pump-res like I have on my Ncase M1. You could also replumb an Alphacool Eisbaer.

Do you even SFF?

Auuggh I so don't want to watercool. I went through all the trouble of sourcing a 17L case that can fit a morpheus plus 120x25 case fans and then nvidia goes completely nuts on vram and power delivery making that a super sketch idea...

But I could technically fit a 240mm and a 120mm rad.... I THINK that might handle a 320w gpu plus 100w CPU okay.

But seriously gently caress watercooling maintenance.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Just forlornly looking at this thinking of what might have been. :smith: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3080/2577vs4080

Welp, I'll get one some day... Eventually...

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
An actual question for GPU nerds:

I have 2 displays - a 1440p 144hz main screen that I do my gaming on, and a 1080p 60hz secondary.

Both screens have DP and HDMI in, and the new card can support putting both on one or both on the other, which would you recommend I use? Current;y I have one on DP and one on HDMI.

Does it even matter? I know the bandwidths at this res/hz are not troubling either format.

I do have some issues with DP disconnecting when power is off or input switched (I use the big screen to connect my work laptop as well) and dumping all my open windows onto the primary screen when it turns back on, but only rarely.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I use DP for PC and HDMI for my PS4. One-touch gaming everywhere!!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AirRaid posted:

An actual question for GPU nerds:

I have 2 displays - a 1440p 144hz main screen that I do my gaming on, and a 1080p 60hz secondary.

Both screens have DP and HDMI in, and the new card can support putting both on one or both on the other, which would you recommend I use? Current;y I have one on DP and one on HDMI.

Does it even matter? I know the bandwidths at this res/hz are not troubling either format.

I do have some issues with DP disconnecting when power is off or input switched (I use the big screen to connect my work laptop as well) and dumping all my open windows onto the primary screen when it turns back on, but only rarely.

I run my 165Hz@1440p display through DisplayPort, I remember having some kind of vague problems with HDMI back when I bought the monitor, but it could just have been a bum cable or something and the second monitor through HDMI for ... additional reasons. Which made sense at the time, I'm sure, but whatever, it works.

If it works, stick with it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I know everyone here has been asking over and over for a blower-style 3090 that will fit in a SFF case. Well I have good news!

https://twitter.com/momomo_us/status/1306947499626618883?s=20

Clocks TBD

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pyrotek posted:

I know everyone here has been asking over and over for a blower-style 3090 that will fit in a SFF case. Well I have good news!

Clocks TBD

gently caress.

gently caress.

I might get a 3090.

God dammit.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ugly In The Morning posted:

gently caress.

gently caress.

I might get a 3090.

God dammit.

That is going to be then loudest imaginable thing.

Like that has to be 40mm 8k rpm delta fan loud.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VorpalFish posted:

I have tinnitus, fan noise is a feature, not a bug.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

AirRaid posted:

IT'S REAL :woop:

Am I the first?

loving scalper

what I find funny is people saying "sure there was one guy that got 40+ cards but it was ONLY one person. most scalpers only get 3-10" to try to wave it off lol.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 18, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VorpalFish posted:

I was curious, so I thought I'd try to find the loudest axial 12v 40mm Delta fan
64 dB(A) for a normal thickness fan, 25000 RPM https://www.delta-fan.com/FFB0412EN-00Y2E.html
69 dB(A) for a double thickness fan, 23000 RPM. Oh yeah. https://www.delta-fan.com/GFC0412DS-SM06B0G.html

Put a few of those in to a 5.25" plate with a 3.5" drive mount behind it, and you have an early 2000's "HDD cooler", that'll be guaranteed to give you tinnitus.

vv Yeah, they'll be used exclusively in applications like 1U rack mount servers, maybe industrial power supplies and the like

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 18, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

HalloKitty posted:

I was curious, so I thought I'd try to find the loudest axial 12v 40mm Delta fan
64 dB(A) for a normal thickness fan, 25000 RPM https://www.delta-fan.com/FFB0412EN-00Y2E.html
69 dB(A) for a double thickness fan, 23000 RPM. Oh yeah. https://www.delta-fan.com/GFC0412DS-SM06B0G.html

is this "i want to move air and idgaf about noise" type of solution?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Der Shovel posted:

Gamer's Nexus claiming they have sources who say the backlog ought to be cleared out by November, with 10-20x the amount of stock being available.

no way, like nvidia scheduled the release so that the shortages would be mostly resolved during the holiday shopping season!? Who’d have imagined something like that!?

just because a random site got an estimate of November doesn’t mean that’s really how long it’s going to take before it actually ships

(and AMD will inevitably have shortages at launch too, even a card as terrible as Vega still sold out for months. Difference being they won’t be launching until November so their two months of shortages will cover the holiday shopping season.)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

HalloKitty posted:

Put a few of those in to a 5.25" plate with a 3.5" drive mount behind it, and you have an early 2000's "HDD cooler", that'll be guaranteed to give you tinnitus.

lmao 27 watts for one fan

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

I'm actually really curious to see what they do with this thing. Will it be louder than a blow drier? Will they expect people to undervolt or lower the power target for reasonable thermals?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Ever wonder if people picking up their cards from retail locations will get mugged or shanked in the parking lot for their card?
I’m debating illegally parking directly in front of the store so I just leg it back to my car and drive around town to make sure I’m not being followed. :tinfoil:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Buy a vega64 box off Ebay and hide it inside :v:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Ever wonder if people picking up their cards from retail locations will get mugged or shanked in the parking lot for their card?
I’m debating illegally parking directly in front of the store so I just leg it back to my car and drive around town to make sure I’m not being followed. :tinfoil:

Cops will ticket you and civil forfeiture your GPU

But if you're serious that is insanely paranoid

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
AirRaid you live in the UK yes? Perhaps I can drive up to your house and touch it. The GPU that is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kraftwerk posted:

You’re in the GTA right? I’ll come and keep watch for you.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The real Cyberpunk release was the beta version released in conjunction with nVidia

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

pyrotek posted:

Clocks TBD

This is hilarious.

But looking at other reviews it’s awesome how the 3000 series is relatively quiet. The stock EVGA XC3 is even quieter than the FE and doesn’t go beyond 30DB.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lamo GamerNexus is saying that the waterblock manufacturers didn't get any data from Nvidia prior to the launch and are being forced to buy the cards to manually physically measure the layouts

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
EDIT: JESUS THEY SOLD OUT AS I WAS WRITING THIS :allears:

For anyone willing to wait a month who doesn't want to play F5 roulette, Dell has the PNY OC'd card, people on an Nvidia discord claim to have talked to them and they are very sure on their ship dates, which right now are around 10/20.

Downside: MSRP on this card was either 750 or 799 yesterday and they're charging 850.

I put an order in, 0% financing for 12 months, figure I'll cancel if mass availability happens before then.

Also, I specifically wanted this PNY card exactly because of it's gaudy RGB and relatively low dB, so that was a factor.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have tinnitus, fan noise is a feature, not a bug.

fans ramp mine up :( Klonopin tamps it down. But glad to know I'm not the only tinnitus GPU person here, even if I wish you didn't have it either.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pyrotek posted:

Clocks TBD

it's called Turbo because that's what it sounds like :rice: