Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Why are certain wrestlers only ever mentioned in caps? KENTA? KUSHIDA, etc?

Am I missing the joke? Are there very involved acronyms that I'm unaware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

its a japan thing

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lamuella posted:

I hate to reference it because David Starr is a piece of poo poo, but Eddie's interview on We The Independent distinctly gave me the impression that he and Hero basically resolved their bad blood by monetising it. They got out the actual ill feeling, then toured it in CZW, Chikara, and ROH.

The truest carny way to make up

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

The explanation I was given for why Taka did it is that its apparently considered arrogant to place greater emphasis on the first name over the family name, and doing so in caps even more so

I don't know how accurate that is, especially since Taka lifted his kayfabe surnane from Sasuke, whose real name is Masa Michinoku

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

KENTA, shoot name Kenta Kobayashi, stylized his name that way to differentiate himself from Kenta Kobashi. I don't know the story behind KUSHIDA, but wrestlers stylizing their name in romaji like that is a common thing, plus it looks cool on a match graphic.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they like the letters to all be the same height. the way it looks

edit to say this is 'real' and not 'farting around' or specific to one person or anything. that's why they use capital english letters

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 18, 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
it means you gotta yell it if you say it out loud

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Seams posted:

it means you gotta yell it if you say it out loud

Correct.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For the capitalization part, how much of it is just westerners overthinking things? Like TAKA looks cooler than Taka so that’s what he writes it as. The fact that it looks weird to native English speakers and might need an explanation might not even have occurred to him when deciding to go romanji.

Like how westerners have dumbass Chinese calligraphy tats that makes no sense to people that can read it but it looks cool.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats what i said dog

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not a wrestling specific thing, it's pretty common in Japan in general with romanized words.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

If you look at the tracklist of a Japanese music album, they occasionally do that with the track titles too.

I believe this is in the vast majority of cases an entirely stylistic choice and comes from the fact that the Japanese writing system does not have upper and lowercase letters. You can, however, write any Japanese word using one of two syllabaries, hiragana (used to write all Japanese words - unless you know the kanji (logograph) for it) and katakana (generally used to write all loan words, eg. also all Western names). For example, Kazuchika Okada’s name in hiragana is おかだかずちか (o-ka-da-ka-zu-chi-ka). However, he chooses to write it in the more angular (and some might say cooler) katakana, オカダ・カズチカ. This literally does nothing else to the name than make it look different. As an example of a different way to do it, Minoru Suzuki chooses to use a combination of kanji and hiragana: 鈴木 みのる.

So - that leads to my conclusion that because you can use these scripts sort of interchangeably, the Japanese have decided you don’t need to care too much about the capitalization of words written in the Latin script either. Just choose whatever you think looks cooler.

A funnier explanation is that as far as I’ve understood, the Japanese generally tend to know the Latin alphabet better in either lowercase or uppercase. So maybe that himbo SANADA only knows capital letters lol

Edit: also, the Japanese writing system is one entire nightmare and a half of another, and only huge loving morons (like me) try to learn it

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 18, 2020

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
how many things in graphic design in native english are in all caps all caps is universal this is known

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

:corsair:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

We know how Vince has an insane level of control over scripts, promos, and storylines, but how much control does he have over in-ring action?

Does he micro-manage/cript the matches as well? I had heard something from somewhere that said that modern WWE agents are doing this nowadays, but does the senile fucker in charge have any say?

Oh, and I am not talking about stuff like "the curb stomp is banned", or "no blood till the main event" style things. I am asking if Vince goes "first you lock up, then the first guy hits a dropkick, and the second guy counters with a suplex ... and then the first guy wins with a roll up" etc.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't think he micromanages every single match due to simple time constraints. Dude's apparently a workaholic, but WWE are putting on like a million matches a week so there just isn't enough time in the day.

Also WWE occasionally manages to deliver a legit good match, which is further evidence against his involvement.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cody (Rhodes) and Maria (Takeda) are the only wrestlers I can think of follow traditional capitalision rules with their romaji names in Japan.

The capitalisation thing also causes a bit of confusion with the Asukas. In the west it's Asuka for Kana and ASUKA for Veny but it's the opposite in Japan. (Well, ASUKA means Kana and the other one is usually written in kanji but romanizes her own name as Asuka)

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Memphis did this too, kinda, Jerry Lawler had his own show called The Jerry Lawler Show, he'd use it to promote upcoming events for the territory.

Pretty sure he also used it to interview local High School cheerleaders.

The sad part is I can't tell if that last part is a joke or not.

Here's a question. What's the fastest a wrestler has gone from debuting to doing a face or heel turn ? Like first week in the company, they're a face, less than month later (or sooner) a heel ? And I wouldn't count gimmick changes like Seven going from supernatural pedophile to Dustin Runnels at his debut.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Bad Wolf posted:

Here's a question. What's the fastest a wrestler has gone from debuting to doing a face or heel turn ? Like first week in the company, they're a face, less than month later (or sooner) a heel ? And I wouldn't count gimmick changes like Seven going from supernatural pedophile to Dustin Runnels at his debut.

Gail Kim did it in... 5 weeks. Won the WWE Women's Title in her debut, lost it 4 weeks later, and almost immediately turned heel.

I'm sure there's much faster, but this was the first one that came to mind.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bad Wolf posted:

off the top of my head kevin owens in nxt opened a takeover a face and ended it a heel by stabbing sami zayn in the back

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Bad Wolf posted:

Anna Jay debuted as a blue chip babyface on Dynamite, got a sympathetic video package and everything, lost her debut match to Abadon and ended the segment being recruited in to the Dark Order.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad Wolf posted:

kurt angle

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Terry Taylor debuted in the WWF as a face and turned heel in his first or second match, which was all part of the same TV taping.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bad Wolf posted:

KENTA in NJPW debuted in the G1 as 'Katsuyori Shibata's Soulmate' and ended it joining the Bullet Club kicking Shibata in the face.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Bad Wolf posted:

Benoit, Malenko, Guererro and Saturn debuted in WWF on January 31st and turned heel by beating up Cactus Jack on February 7.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Artelier posted:

off the top of my head kevin owens in nxt opened a takeover a face and ended it a heel by stabbing sami zayn in the back

Hell yeah.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bad Wolf posted:

Its real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3usmMSnnw

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
That's a - as the cool kids call it these days - "Yikeseroo".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Anna Jay debuted as a blue chip babyface on Dynamite, got a sympathetic video package and everything, lost her debut match to Abadon and ended the segment being recruited in to the Dark Order.

that was her second match on dynamite not her debut

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And she’s still a baby face. :colbert:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

We know how Vince has an insane level of control over scripts, promos, and storylines, but how much control does he have over in-ring action?

Does he micro-manage/cript the matches as well? I had heard something from somewhere that said that modern WWE agents are doing this nowadays, but does the senile fucker in charge have any say?

Oh, and I am not talking about stuff like "the curb stomp is banned", or "no blood till the main event" style things. I am asking if Vince goes "first you lock up, then the first guy hits a dropkick, and the second guy counters with a suplex ... and then the first guy wins with a roll up" etc.

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/1296794379538006024?s=21

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You'd think WWE wouldn't want to promote itself with anything that reminds people of being lowered into the ring.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have they ever even acknowledged the details of that night, except maybe on the PPV itself? I've always seen "A tragic accident resulted in Owen Hart's death" without specifying what happened. Sooner or later there's going to be more people that don't know anything about it than people that do.

Also it's completely in character for them to just power ahead ignoring something inconvenient.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Cody (Rhodes) and Maria (Takeda) are the only wrestlers I can think of follow traditional capitalision rules with their romaji names in Japan.

Gamma and T-Hawk as well but i know you're not a dragon gate guy. on a similar note my absolute favorite typographical romanization is "brother" YASSHI which is always written just like that quotation marks included

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Halloween Jack posted:

You'd think WWE wouldn't want to promote itself with anything that reminds people of being lowered into the ring.
At this point I'm convinced they want people to think Vince did his own run through of the stunt that killed Owen. It came up on Twitter when that aired and a shocking number of people thought that was the case.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

Gamma and T-Hawk as well but i know you're not a dragon gate guy. on a similar note my absolute favorite typographical romanization is "brother" YASSHI which is always written just like that quotation marks included

I should have remembered T-Hawk. There's also Sareee. AKINO's heel alter ego goes by noki-A too

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A) What do you think of Bob Backlund's crazy schtick from the early to mid-90s? I actually enjoyed it.
2) Please explain 2006 Tatanka. This is not a question.
D) Has Titan Towers in Stamford, Connecticut ever been accessible to the public? I remember trying to at least see the lobby way back in 1999 and being denied.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A) What do you think of Bob Backlund's crazy schtick from the early to mid-90s? I actually enjoyed it.

I have a fondness for it. It was more the dumb bits he'd do, Crossface Chicken Winging Arnold Skaaland or whatever, that made him seem like a proper loony.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I love crazy heel Backlund and I like the idea OSW Review recently had where he kept the title until the Rumble/Wrestlemania so they could properly build Diesel up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't Tatanka a case of 'brought him in for a nostalgia show, worked with Angle, Angle made him look great so hired because they didn't realise Kurt carried him'?