Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

Exactly, Facebook is a NSA-tier intelligence agency that won't be stopped until America starts enforcing antitrust law again or

I find it mildly amusing that while we're banning Chinese-sponsored social media this weekend (tik-tok); you need an American-sponsored social media account to login to this hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Nocheez posted:

Who the hell can stand a VR headset on for 6 straight hours anyway? Yikes!

I've done that multiple days in a row with my Index and its not a problem.
Rift CV1 would give me some ear pain after about 3-4 hours and minor facial discomfort from having something on my skin for so long.
The Quest 1 is a pain to use in a standing role for more than an hour. The poor interface and bad weight balance is a huge issue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

My index is plenty comfortable for that long. Inevitably, my feet get tired of standing long before my face gets tired of the HMD. If I'm sitting, like in E:D or something, it's a non-issue pretty much indefinitely. Like, I don't know if I've had any 6-hour sessions? But quite possibly maybe. I probably did when I was playing Moss. I've never ever had to stop playing because of headset issues.

Get yourself an anti-fatigue mat to stand on if you're playing VR standing. You'll get a lot of use out of it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nocheez posted:

Who the hell can stand a VR headset on for 6 straight hours anyway? Yikes!

my vive wireless battery lasts between 5 and 6 hours and i generally only stop when it runs out once i put it on :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get yourself an anti-fatigue mat to stand on if you're playing VR standing. You'll get a lot of use out of it.

I thought maybe a bunch of piercings and a suspension rig

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bad Munki posted:

I thought maybe a bunch of piercings and a suspension rig

I'd pony up extra for the Jim Rose Circus edition

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtKOM_jlVT4

From one of the devs

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

lol Zuck using Moondust to demo poo poo at the big Quest conference and even slapped a Facebook Reality Labs logo on it

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Huh, since the last update my Quest has stopped screaming at me that my Beat Saber has been tampered with but still allows me to play custom songs.
Neat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pistol Whip is a top contender for "best value for money" at this point

The original game launched for, what $19.99 with five maps, they've added I think five more maps, most of which are longer than the original ones, as well as gun customization, gameplay modifiers like auto aim on/off, headshots only, etc and some other minor luxuries, for free

A+

Also it's one of those arcade style games that you can jump into for 5 minutes, and back out again which is ideal for a self contained VR headset

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Magic Sword?!

SOLD SOLD SOLD :signings:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Magic Sword?!

SOLD SOLD SOLD :signings:

I didn't know them, I had to search who they are. This seems to be their most viewed song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02wKufX3nw

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I didn't know them, I had to search who they are. This seems to be their most viewed song:

That's because it was in Hotline Miami 2, making some of this electronic artists crazy popular.
Still, they say it's an "Action Pack" so I guess a proper DLC. Neato.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah I met them through Hotline Miami 2 and then went to a show with my GF, they're easily one of my favorite Synthwave bands

And yeah that song loving rules

If we could just get some Carpenter Brut in Pistol Whip...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
All this Hotline Miami talk makes me need to listen to my fav of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMoRL46x8F8

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This doesn't look like especially good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7LQWIfBG60

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

What do you mean, are you trying to say that in a fresh new medium with infinite possibilities you aren't excited by a game where you slowly move across the ground by using a joystick and shoot a bunch of random dudes with guns??

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

What do you mean, are you trying to say that in a fresh new medium with infinite possibilities you aren't excited by a game where you slowly move across the ground by using a joystick and shoot a bunch of random dudes with guns??

Hah.

Let's say there is a bit of difference between, for example, HL Alyx, and this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

As a 40k nerd I'll probably end up getting that as long as its like $20. But its just another VR shooter.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, 286* was released in 1982, it wasn't until a decade later that Wolfenstein 3D (which will technically run on a 286) was released in 1992

I guess battlezone and a couple of vector graphics games existed, but it wasn't really until Doom1/2 that FPS, third person shooters really caught the public's imagination

Beatsaber, rockband clones etc are cool but probably not the long term killer app for VR

*Not a typo, I always assumed that wolf3d needed at least a 386

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I mean, 286* was released in 1982, it wasn't until a decade later that Wolfenstein 3D (which will technically run on a 286) was released in 1992

I guess battlezone and a couple of vector graphics games existed, but it wasn't really until Doom1/2 that FPS, third person shooters really caught the public's imagination

Beatsaber, rockband clones etc are cool but probably not the long term killer app for VR

*Not a typo, I always assumed that wolf3d needed at least a 386

I totally agree. As far as I'm concerned, Echo Arena is the only thing that has really captured the possibilities of the medium for me. I'm dying for more stuff that makes me feel that way about it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hadlock posted:

My dad released this in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOrUktm9nY

And today he emailed me to say that he's preordering the Quest 2, his first VR headset!

This is pretty big to me because despite making videogames my dad has refused to play them with me. He always said he had to test his own games so much that all he can see when he plays a game is work.

I put him in my CV1 back in 2016 and it blew him away, but he said he would wait until things got really good and really cheap before buying anything.

Now I'm starting to think I need to buy a Quest 2 so that we aren't limited to what can be cross played with an Index.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

I totally agree. As far as I'm concerned, Echo Arena is the only thing that has really captured the possibilities of the medium for me. I'm dying for more stuff that makes me feel that way about it.

I gotta say, that last level of HL Alyx where you're walking around on the ceiling and objects have inverted gravity or no gravity, and then you walk into LSD mirror dimension and there's like a mirrored room on room on room and you're walking on the walls....

I want a whole game like that.

Somebody give me Prey VR

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Zaphod42 posted:

I gotta say, that last level of HL Alyx...

That poo poo was awesome!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

this playthrough gives me hardcore area 51 vibes. i used to love that game but i think i got over it in 1999. what a waste of a good ip.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I gotta say, that last level of HL Alyx where you're walking around on the ceiling and objects have inverted gravity or no gravity, and then you walk into LSD mirror dimension and there's like a mirrored room on room on room and you're walking on the walls....

I want a whole game like that.

Somebody give me Prey VR

There is a prey vr mode, but it's multiplayer I think?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Parallelwoody posted:

There is a prey vr mode, but it's multiplayer I think?

I think he is making a reference to the first Prey.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tip posted:

This is pretty big to me because despite making videogames my dad has refused to play them with me. He always said he had to test his own games so much that all he can see when he plays a game is work.

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the SNES, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to yoshi", I said "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's ok"
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna game like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna game like him"

And Crash's in the cradle and the silver Spiro
Little hedgehog blue and the man in the egg
When you comin' home dad?
I don't know when, but we'll game together then, son
You know we'll have a good time then

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the SNES, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to yoshi", I said "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's ok"
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna game like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna game like him"

And Crash's in the cradle and the silver Spiro
Little hedgehog blue and the man in the egg
When you comin' home dad?
I don't know when, but we'll game together then, son
You know we'll have a good time then

The fact that I'm now running my own game studio and crunching to launch a game really completes the Cats and the Cradle loop.

I've long since retired and my son's moved away
Added him to my friends list the other day
I said, I'd like to VR with you if you don't mind
He said, I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time
You see, my new game's a hassle, and we're launching in a few
But it's sure nice IMing with you, dad
It's been sure nice IMing with you
And as I took off my quest, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people actually do use VR for extended periods. I've done a few hours with my index but don't have the free time I did when I was younger.

My wife unexpectedly asked to play "that pistol game" after the kiddo heads to bed :buddy:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I think he is making a reference to the first Prey.

Yeah, the one wot has you walking on ceilings lol

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
At the risk of reigniting the Facebook arguments, does anyone know if there's a way to legitimize an Oculus account that's under a fake name? At this point, I'm ready to surrender to the Beast and just link my regular Facebook account(since it closed my burner Facebook I originally linked to the account), but I'm afraid the name mismatch will trip something and they'll cancel my account and take away all my games.

I figure, it's better to try to cross this bridge now rather than accumulate years' worth of software before they make me switch over and potentially cancel my account.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TadBradley posted:

At the risk of reigniting the Facebook arguments, does anyone know if there's a way to legitimize an Oculus account that's under a fake name? At this point, I'm ready to surrender to the Beast and just link my regular Facebook account(since it closed my burner Facebook I originally linked to the account), but I'm afraid the name mismatch will trip something and they'll cancel my account and take away all my games.

Do Oculus accounts even have a real name associated with them? I can't see anywhere to set one in my settings, only the username which can be anything.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

NRVNQSR posted:

Do Oculus accounts even have a real name associated with them? I can't see anywhere to set one in my settings, only the username which can be anything.

This is an intriguing question, because I'm not seeing it show up in my Oculus profile page, but my Quest definitely calls me Tom, which is not my name. Maybe it's something on the headset itself.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

This is awesome.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

NRVNQSR posted:

I can't find anything in my Oculus profile, but under payment they have my real name and credit card details, and I used the same email as I do for everything that has my real name so already there is no hiding for me.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I have about 3000 hours of VR gameplay in VRchat, some sessions going for 12 hours or more on the weekend thanks to that index comfort.

I'm relatively anonymous here so I'm not gonna lie, I've slept in VR a few times without issue.

Full body social VR is a helluva drug, especially in these quarantine times.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Does anyone know if the Oculus link cable is directional? I'm planning to pick up a couple magnetic usb c adaptors but it will already be a 90 degree angle so I'll want to use the straight end on the headset side if I can.

I bought a micro usb adapter for my wireless PC headset(Corsair Void) and it's a gamechanger for something you charge often.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

DrBox posted:

Does anyone know if the Oculus link cable is directional? I'm planning to pick up a couple magnetic usb c adaptors but it will already be a 90 degree angle so I'll want to use the straight end on the headset side if I can.

I bought a micro usb adapter for my wireless PC headset(Corsair Void) and it's a gamechanger for something you charge often.

Magnetic USB adapters are bad news. Most of them won't transmit data at all, the few that do require perfect angular alignment so you lose the benefit of being easier to plug in, and I'd be surprised if any transmit at full USB3+ rate. Also, I'm pretty sure a set of magnetic adapters burned out the batteries on my Index controllers (and one unlucky DualShock 4) and required me to replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Thoom posted:

Magnetic USB adapters are bad news. Most of them won't transmit data at all, the few that do require perfect angular alignment so you lose the benefit of being easier to plug in, and I'd be surprised if any transmit at full USB3+ rate. Also, I'm pretty sure a set of magnetic adapters burned out the batteries on my Index controllers (and one unlucky DualShock 4) and required me to replace them.

I appreciate the warning. I have had pretty good luck with them so far for my micro usb devices for charging only. The one I was looking at for quest was a 20 pin with decent reviews so data should work ok. If I end up trying it I'll let people know how it goes.