Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Goons Are Great posted:

Super Mario 3D All Stars babyyyyy!!!
Oh my god I have waited so many years to play Sunshine again and now it's on the switch and great and beautiful and I unironically killed my last computer years ago when trying to make that one run on an emulator on PC

I absolutely love the music in Sunshine but never totally clicked with the gameplay. I'm glad you're loving it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I too have fond memories of that game. Tempted now

:thinkdorm:

Goons Are Gifts

Jolo posted:

I absolutely love the music in Sunshine but never totally clicked with the gameplay. I'm glad you're loving it!

The new all-star not just includes all the games, but also their entire soundtrack for 64, Sunshine and Galaxy :henget:

Jolo

Goons Are Great posted:

The new all-star not just includes all the games, but also their entire soundtrack for 64, Sunshine and Galaxy :henget:

The tipping point for me on whether to buy Smash Bros or not was the huge soundtrack. I still don't know why I bought it. I always get bored with Smash after about 20 minutes. That's cool that they have the soundtracks available there. The Galaxy soundtrack is fantastic too.

Bobby Deluxe

the ps5 is going to be cheaper than i thought

i mean i am not going to be able to afford one because i am moving house, but still

the digital only one of course

Areola Grande

Gimme that one with a disc drive any day. One last hail mary of used games before our bleak all digital future. I'll save at least $100 in price breaks over the first year probably. With a game msrp of $70 I think the used game market will find new life at least for a few years :shrug:

Areola Grande

not to mention homebrew options down the line. that disc slot could be important

Bobby Deluxe

it makes sense from sonys perspective i guess, its not so much that the disc version is more expensive, its that the digital one is cheaper because they will make a shitload of cash from game purchases so can afford to sell the console a bit cheaper

Areola Grande

exactly. also I have a stack of ps4 discs that would be nice to use in a ps5 while waiting for post launch titles to release.

not everyone will be able to afford $500 but I'ma save up 4 it. the part I'm not stoked about however is replacing my perfectly good hdtv with a 4k display. Couple that cost with a new ps5 and ppl could be looking at ~$1000 during a global pandemic. Makes u think

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I wanted the PS5 to basically backlog PS4 games for the first year since I never got one of those. Looks like it might not happen. Basically told my wife and she and my friends wanted to try to get me one for Christmas or something more power to them but otherwise I'd probably just wait until next summer at this point.

Or hell, maybe I'll just upgrade my PC again.

sb hermit

Zurtilik posted:

I wanted the PS5 to basically backlog PS4 games for the first year since I never got one of those. Looks like it might not happen. Basically told my wife and she and my friends wanted to try to get me one for Christmas or something more power to them but otherwise I'd probably just wait until next summer at this point.

Or hell, maybe I'll just upgrade my PC again.

Same. I'll get a ps5 (or ps4 for cheap) and clear out the local gamestops before they all close down for good or turn into just a retailer for funko pops and zelda keychains

beer pal

hades is out of early access and its really good! who here likes to play hades

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I'm just jumping into this thread.

Stoked that Horizon: Zero Dawn finally dropped on PC. Not entirely sure what I was expecting from it, but I am thoroughly enjoying it so far, and its beautiful, and my PC purrs like a kitten while I play it. All around good stuff. Sure wish God of War and Last of Us would come out on PC >.<

FutonForensic

beer pal posted:

hades is out of early access and its really good! who here likes to play hades

yeah I been playing the beta version on Epic very STOKED for this release

Jinh

Really excited to try hades now that it's out of EA! I've loved every other supergiant game to death

Jinh

I decided to go against usual recommendations and try dark souls 2 after I finished watching watching a let's play of 1, instead of skipping ahead to 3. 2 has a bad reputation for some reasons that don't matter a ton to me, like how the world isn't as realistic/interconnected.

This game owns! I died like 15 times to a monster with major dental problems and a huge butt then started learning how to beat up some ancient knight guys and it turns out killing those knights instead of running past them makes the boss easier and like changes the whole area maybe. It's cool seeing the game react to how I play it in a way I don't know that I've ever seen before.

Finger Prince

Evil Bob posted:

I'm just jumping into this thread.

Stoked that Horizon: Zero Dawn finally dropped on PC. Not entirely sure what I was expecting from it, but I am thoroughly enjoying it so far, and its beautiful, and my PC purrs like a kitten while I play it. All around good stuff. Sure wish God of War and Last of Us would come out on PC >.<

It is probably the best game I've played on ps4. When it first came out there was a lot of hype, and I was like ehhh, but I picked it up on a greatest hits sale and was like, this game is absolutely incredible and if anything the hype wasn't strong enough.

Jolo

Jinh posted:

I decided to go against usual recommendations and try dark souls 2 after I finished watching watching a let's play of 1, instead of skipping ahead to 3. 2 has a bad reputation for some reasons that don't matter a ton to me, like how the world isn't as realistic/interconnected.

This game owns! I died like 15 times to a monster with major dental problems and a huge butt then started learning how to beat up some ancient knight guys and it turns out killing those knights instead of running past them makes the boss easier and like changes the whole area maybe. It's cool seeing the game react to how I play it in a way I don't know that I've ever seen before.

Dark Souls 2 is really good. I don't know why it has such a bad reputation but I've heard the same. The DLC for it was all really really good also. If you're playing the PS4 version of the game it's all built in, if you're on PC you may have to look up how to access it. If I remember correctly there were 3 statue symbol things in the world that bring you to each one. There's a Fire themed area, a Poisony underground area, and an Icy area (maybe, I don't remember exactly). They're all good. I really really liked the Fire area, it looks awesome and has some really cool boss fights.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jinh

Jolo posted:

Dark Souls 2 is really good. I don't know why it has such a bad reputation but I've heard the same. The DLC for it was all really really good also. If you're playing the PS4 version of the game it's all built in, if you're on PC you may have to look up how to access it. If I remember correctly there were 3 statue symbol things in the world that bring you to each one. There's a Fire themed area, a Poisony underground area, and an Icy area (maybe, I don't remember exactly). They're all good. I really really liked the Fire area, it looks awesome and has some really cool boss fights.

i know that some DS stuff can be really esoteric (saving solaire in DS1 lol) and that's fine, i'll go as far as i can blind. And I'll keep an eye out for out-of-place statues and be sure to look it up if the dlc on PC is weird to access. thanks for the heads up!

thanks so much cda <3

FutonForensic

criticizing ds2 is fine but anyone who tells a newcomer to skip a fromsoft game outright is getting sent straight to the Lords of the Fallen mines

sb hermit

Jinh posted:

a huge butt
killing those knights instead of running past them makes the boss easier

I hope it's easier because killing the knights makes the butt normal size

otherwise, I dunno how else the difficulty would change. It's all in the distraction, right?

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Hades will be an eventual buy because it ticks so many boxes for me. But I know I'll just be playing Slay the Spire again for the next forever until I have reached ascention 20 with all chars.

Didn't keep me from ordering super mario 3d all stars, which I justified by saying 'I have never played any of the 3d marios, maybe I should do that some day.' please justify my purchase for me tia

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

disclaimer: did not play super mario 64 back when I had a 64

question: why does mario control like butts in this game. what am I missing such that so many people love this game but all I can think is ‘mario no why did you do that you are controlling like butts’

also how do i get that star off the eel’s tail without drowning 500 times tia

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Jolo

Lock posted:

question: why does mario control like butts in this game. what am I missing such that so many people love this game but all I can think is ‘mario no why did you do that you are controlling like butts’

I haven't played in a long time but I don't remember him being difficult to control. Modern thumbsticks are really different than the N64 control stick. Maybe that has something to do with it? I dunno.

I remember having the most problems with actually being over the top of platforms in Sunshine. There were so many times where I'd water hover over a spot and then drop just next to it and have to redo a bunch of platforming.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Joey McChrist

beat earthbound, started and finished mario rpg, and now i'm partway into breath of fire 2. forgot how much faster these older games go where you're not waiting on load times/wandering an open world.

sb hermit

Joey McChrist posted:

beat earthbound, started and finished mario rpg, and now i'm partway into breath of fire 2. forgot how much faster these older games go where you're not waiting on load times/wandering an open world.

:toot:

Good job, I have always wanted to finish those games.

I always finish just half way before quitting :smith:

Goons Are Gifts

Lock posted:

That's actually a switch thing, although imo they optimized it really well considering how hard this must be.
The N64 controller was very special, because at that time Nintendo realized that for 3D platformers to work you have to have Pixel perfect controls of the character. Before that there only was 2D stuff, which is mostly whatever but still requires accuracy, but in 3D it's vital. The stick being in the lower middle of the controller was very special and led to rather weird coding, which is one reason so far the game was only ever ported to the DS and never again until now, and also why homebrew self made ports made by nerdy players hardly worked.

Here they faced the same problem and the switch emulates poo poo to make it playable. Imo it works very good, but it still is not perfect. The switch was optimized for controls like in Mario Odyssey, where it's the same technique, but making this work for 64 is just impossible due to how the controllers worked, so they came up with an emulating situation. Not great, not terrible, but it's reasonable to assume on the switch you'll never be as good as you might have been on the N64.

beer pal

i never played 1 but im finding splunky 2 to be very fun

Jolo

beer pal posted:

i never played 1 but im finding splunky 2 to be very fun

Yeah! It's really fun. One thing that I found really helpful is knowing that an enemy that's down and stunned can't be hurt further while stunned by whipping but can be hurt by thrown objects/enemies.

So if you get one of those moles down, grab a nearby rock or something and smash it a couple more times to make it stay down.

beer pal

hate those dang moles!!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

beer pal posted:

hate those dang moles!!

they are routinely the thing that fucks me over the most in zone 1!!! theyre awful.

really loving the game. though i kind of wish they just went with the same color scheme as zone 1/the caves from the first game. i understand the urge to have it look different, but i think its a really ugly color for the dirt tiles, and the two areas are functionally so similar already its like, might as well go with the more appealing look imo.

turkeys are cool :)

nut

does anyone know when online co-op comes out for it? Im saving myself for true chaos

beer pal

"a few weeks at most" i think is the most recent eta on it

beer pal

spelunky is so hard lol i must be like 20 hours in and ive only made it to olmec like 5 times total. hard not to get impatient with the parts that feel like they should be easy and get hosed up playing sloppy

Jolo

beer pal posted:

spelunky is so hard lol i must be like 20 hours in and ive only made it to olmec like 5 times total. hard not to get impatient with the parts that feel like they should be easy and get hosed up playing sloppy

It's not easy. Once I get sloppy I have to make myself stop. It's a good game to play a few times and then quit because usually those fresh runs go the best. I've been getting better at getting through the first few zones. The moles and the arrow traps are still super dangerous.

I figure you've figured out that you can cook a turkey. My advice is to ride one if possible. They are super useful and will take the hit for an arrowtrap or a spike trap or bear trap death. I think a lot of people just cook em and move on but they're so helpful by taking the one hit kills instead of you.

I saw what I think is the normal final boss tonight. I'm glad the ps4 can save video footage because I rewatched the footage a bunch to try to figure out what I should've been trying.

FutonForensic

I uninstalled spelunky 2 for now. Game was starting to feel addictive in the bad way. Would spend entire runs just feeling frustrated about every mistake and telling myself i would have fun once i got to a new area. but I've spent way too much time trying to get over that plateau, time for a break.

I like playing Hades more since it gradually opens up upgrades to let me overcome skill gaps. I've gone from "holy poo poo how will I beat this" to "hmm what dumb build can I try out this time" without ever feeling like I haven't earned my runs.

Areola Grande

I have the last of us 2 but I find it so unchill I just keep dicking around in terraria instead out of anxiety

need a new game

Finger Prince

I picked up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on sale a week or two back, figuring even if it was crap, it should at least be a cheap distraction.
Well turns out its super addictive. The characters are all hilariously caricature-y, which suits this kind of game perfectly, and I just get fully sucked into the story and side quests. Good mix of detective puzzling, stealth, and action, and so far the setting is cool (future Prague right now). I like how, unlike in other stealth shooters, you don't get punished for going hot. On the one level my guy accidentally vaulted a table trying to be sneaky and fell into the lower floor full of bad guys I'd just snuck past by creeping through the vents. Well poo poo, pull out the shotgun, run for cover and start blasting! Worked out great. Did another mission fully stealth and non-lethal and that worked out great too. Anyway, good game I overlooked for a long time, and worth a play if you get it for cheap.

beer pal

update i got past olmec twice feels good. lessons i learned 1. to value bombs higher from shops to skip past sketchy scenarios 2. to value getting the blinking egyptian eye thing more highly to get suited up in the black market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

beer pal posted:

update i got past olmec twice feels good. lessons i learned 1. to value bombs higher from shops to skip past sketchy scenarios 2. to value getting the blinking egyptian eye thing more highly to get suited up in the black market

Hell yeah. Gj beer pal. I've seen some folks try to get Olmec to smash the same spot over and over. I'm a big fan of using a wider area and having him shift back and forth. If you commit to a narrow area and move wrong you can't get out from under him in time.

Bombs are so so useful because they let you skip sketchy encounters. So many times when I die I look back and regret not using one bomb to skip a tough setup.