Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
yeah it's nice he walked it back but he's gonna have a thousand more interviews with Alex Jones, Andy Ngo, Gavin McInnes et al. and he's gonna let them say whatever the gently caress they want and America's going to happily goose-step into murdering tens/hundreds of thousands of "Antifa" with his willing help. he might be well-meaning but he's an extremely useful idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

the Olivia Wilde take is also correct, booksmart was garbage

oh my god it was so bad i felt so crazy watching it after reading all the rave reviews

the premise itself is so loving stupid too —— like there’s any way in hell you could keep these rich kids at this prestigious high school from yapping about where they’re going to college, WHAT!!

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
Piping hot newsletter on Taibbi from Yasha today...the free preview is 15 pages so god knows what's in the rest of it.
https://yasha.substack.com/p/matt-taibbi-is-a-cancel-culture-hypocrite-b78
e: https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1307036930362822656

Paffgen has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Sep 18, 2020

THS
Sep 15, 2017

man i want to read that drama but im not paying $55 a year for it

where do you see the free preview? i can only get the first paragraph at https://yasha.substack.com

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

oh my god it was so bad i felt so crazy watching it after reading all the rave reviews

the premise itself is so loving stupid too —— like there’s any way in hell you could keep these rich kids at this prestigious high school from yapping about where they’re going to college, WHAT!!

my review of Booksmart - did you like Superbad? did you think it could be improved by adapting it for the kind of people who unironically have RBG posters and Warren bumper stickers?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

quote:

Amy suggests they go home, but Molly calls a "Malala" (their code for unconditionally doing what the other wants to do).

this movie’s got a lot going on

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

zegermans posted:

my favorite amber opinion was the smart article she wrote for one of those online left things saying UBI is bad because 1950s housewives had it and were miserable, definitely not because they were all being beaten by their WW2 PTSD suffering husbands.

sorry your masters degree didn't get you that job you wanted i guess

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

:siren: TWIN LANGUAGE :siren:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

jessica williams plays a cool teacher who wants to (and i think it implies she does) gently caress one of her hot students, but it’s okay because he’s 19 and it’s after graduation (cue age gap discourse)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The only Chapo content I've been watching is Matt talking to Twitch chat and being confused by Twitch emotes.

His talks on there are super good tho.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

richard brody had the only mildly negative review i saw at the time (https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/booksmart-reviewed-olivia-wildes-toothless-teen-comedy) and iirc he got heaps of scorn and accusations of misogyny and whatnot

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mirror, mirror on the wall, give me the dumbest place to look for Twitch history of all

phew, no one's tried to interview gootecks yet

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Are Mark Ames and John Dolan the only members of the Exile crew who haven't gone insane? As a follow-up question are they the only members of the Exile crew who've never had mainstream success?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

my favorite amber opinion was the smart article she wrote for one of those online left things saying UBI is bad because 1950s housewives had it and were miserable, definitely not because they were all being beaten by their WW2 PTSD suffering husbands.

Okay I actually read that one so I KNOW this take is entirely made up

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Joe's post is alright, but he oughta say that on the pod.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Often Abbreviated posted:

Are Mark Ames and John Dolan the only members of the Exile crew who haven't gone insane? As a follow-up question are they the only members of the Exile crew who've never had mainstream success?

i think yasha is still only in the early stages of posters' brain, there's still hope for recovery

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pirate Jet posted:

my review of Booksmart - did you like Superbad? did you think it could be improved by adapting it for the kind of people who unironically have RBG posters and Warren bumper stickers?

I watched it not knowing there was even any internet controversy meme wokescold lib poo poo about it, and yeah it's this. I enjoyed it enough but it's not like anything special, it's just another coming-of-age judd-apatow but #girlz edition

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

I watched it not knowing there was even any internet controversy meme wokescold lib poo poo about it, and yeah it's this. I enjoyed it enough but it's not like anything special, it's just another coming-of-age judd-apatow but #girlz edition

I thought about the cheeseburger telephone from Juno for the first time in over ten years

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Xaris posted:

saw so many people get mad about (“sexist”) superbad comparisons but then i watched it and it has jonah hill’s sister in the jonah hill role and she’s opposite a michael cera-esque awkward dork struggling with her sexuality/confidence, they’re best friends, they realize they missed out on the ~high school experience~ and try to compensate by having one last wild night before college, have a big (drunken?) blow up, but end up making up in the end

why would anyone compare these?!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

why would you do that to yourself

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

I've read it as well and I wouldn't say it was a good take either! The article was more "We tried UBI.... back when the 1950's housewife was a thing. That was a probably better life than the current life women have."

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

America has already witnessed the largest UBI experiment known to history — the postwar middle-class housewife. And she was utterly miserable.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
it was the 1950's, they hadn't invented wine yet

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

zegermans posted:

America has already witnessed the largest UBI experiment known to history — the postwar middle-class housewife. And she was utterly miserable.

gaming rig

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it was the 1950's, they hadn't invented wine yet

i've always had a soft spot for the take that the cause of the modern feminist movement was restrictions on easily available over the counter cocaine and morphine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

i've always had a soft spot for the take that the cause of the modern feminist movement was restrictions on easily available over the counter cocaine and morphine

getting hosed up on speedballs and taking a hatchet to the saloon's whiskey barrels

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

zegermans posted:

the point was that not having anything to do is actually ruinous and isn't healthy

that non-bullshit work, a purpose, in whatever form, is necessary for people to feel some sense of satisfaction with their life. that if people don't have non-bullshit work, they will make up bullshit work so they can pretend they have something to do

that you can try hedonism but it will just eventually drive you to guzzling wine and pounding quaaludes. it doesn't have to be lifting heavy things, but it does have to be something other than polishing the loving silverware

THS
Sep 15, 2017

housewives need EVE Online

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ames and Dolan were already insane, they just mellowed out as they got older.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the "worst" college any of the kids in that film said they were going to was...wait for it...Georgetown.

and i listened to Bad Faith and honestly, it just seems like Pod Jons But For Sanders Voters.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

saw so many people get mad about (“sexist”) superbad comparisons but then i watched it and it has jonah hill’s sister in the jonah hill role and she’s opposite a michael cera-esque awkward dork struggling with her sexuality/confidence, they’re best friends, they realize they missed out on the ~high school experience~ and try to compensate by having one last wild night before college, have a big (drunken?) blow up, but end up making up in the end

why would anyone compare these?!
yuuuuup. internet media libs like to show their asses quite frequently when it comes to media. just see all the recent Cuties poo poo, even on this very forum i saw some bans/probes over suggesting 'hey maybe this isn't a cool thing do they really need to have children asses in it??' and some of CD libs exploded. like yeah sure it's dumb when a bunch of raging 4channing incels get mad about women being in the new ghostbusters (which is really an infinitesimally small minority and it's usually the Buzzfeed n twitter backlash that is way louder and more amplifying them then anything else because otherwise you wouldn't even hear about it so its pretty much manufactured), and thats dumb, but it's also just a really loving bad movie and you don't need to pretend otherwise for lovely woke points.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

THS posted:

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Doc Hawkins posted:

new war nerd is a bit of a disappointment, who hasn't read the holy Qur'an by now?

*sweats nervously*

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Troy Queef posted:

the "worst" college any of the kids in that film said they were going to was...wait for it...Georgetown.

and i listened to Bad Faith and honestly, it just seems like Pod Jons But For Sanders Voters.

I enjoyed the white anarchists take Greenwald gives during his bit in ep 1. Very good take, glad nobody said anything.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I liked the Richard Jewel episode, I enjoy hearing Matt and Felix wishcast about the dark soul of a decade they were infants during

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

THS posted:

everybody needs eve online, that game really shows you how hard it is to play Simon says with a huge group of people.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pirate Jet posted:

the Olivia Wilde take is also correct, booksmart was garbage

i've started watching more than my fair share of movies/shows basically just because she was in it but she's like a super saiyan lib. raised by a family of journalists/news media, babysat by christopher hitchens, married a prince, married an snl star, just made to fly above the world of poo poo that we live in.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

you know what podcast is great thus far? bad faith with Virgil Texas and Briahna Joy Gray. They work well as a pair, can take or leave the panel discussions.

new ep was better but it was still too electoralism/normie focused for my tastes. i miss him on chapo and i think it's going to be an even rarer appearance if he even appears at all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zegermans posted:

quote:

The negative income tax has been proposed as an effective, straightforward weapon for the eradication of poverty. It is in truth a complex instrument, and its use may lead to unintended and undesirable side effects. In particular, a negative income tax may tend to induce inflation, reduce measured gross national product, and lower the measured rate of growth of the economy. As the induced inflation works its way through the economy, the real disposable income of families with quite modest incomes will decline and the net benefits to the intended beneficiaries will be eroded.

These repercussions follow from the higher marginal tax rates on quite modest incomes leading to a withdrawal of some labor from the market and from the value of the guarantees embodied in the scheme to families that may not directly benefit, inducing increased consumption and more adventuresome portfolios. Whether the induced inflation will be rapid and large or slow and small is not known and would be difficult to estimate. If the induced inflation is slow and small, and if one believes that experience with higher real incomes will integrate the present disadvantaged and poor into society, then the undesirable side effects can perhaps be endured. If the net gains to the present poor evaporate quickly and almost completely, and if the residual gain of the poor is mainly at the expense of the slightly better-off, then the costs of a negative income tax might far outweigh its benefits.

quote:

The liberal’s War on Poverty was born out of neoclassical theory in which it is the poor—not the economy—that is to blame for poverty. The War on Poverty tried to change the poor, not the economy.

The negative income tax, which with another label is part of Nixon’s (and McGovern’s) program, is an admission that the economic system cannot be made to operate so that all who desire to work are able to achieve a socially acceptable standard of life. Work is in itself a want that man strives to satisfy. The conventional neoclassical theory, as it confronts poverty in the midst of plenty, offers a truly dismal solution: the unworthy poor are to be barred from even the satisfactions and social intercourse of work by a perpetual dole.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Listened to the Grover Furr episode on historic.ly. He may be going a bit overboard with exonerating Stalin, especially when it comes to purges, but in other cases like with the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact and pre-war Poland I think his correctives are right. You also just have to admire the brass balls on the guy.

The host on that podcast is a little weird. Her diction is strange, she seems nervous which I do empathize with but also asks weird questions. On the subject of collectivization she framed the question something like "my impression is that it was about taking land from big land owners and freeing serfs, is that right?" And Furr began his answer with "No, unfortunately that's very inaccurate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grevling posted:

Listened to the Grover Furr episode on historic.ly. He may be going a bit overboard with exonerating Stalin, especially when it comes to purges, but in other cases like with the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact and pre-war Poland I think his correctives are right. You also just have to admire the brass balls on the guy.

Furr getting as bad a reputation that he has is largely an ideological smear. Once I actually started reading his work instead of just relying on second-hand accounts about him being some kind of insane Stalin apologist his research holds up and his arguments are well-founded.