Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Takes a lot of Chutzpah for my vassal, the pope, to declare a crusade to take Jerusalem when it's held by me, his liege.

Fortunately, I got to imprison him for the crime of Crusading against me and strip him of one of his titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I feel like I must be being an idiot, but how do you reliably get the cursor into one of the tooltips so you can hover over things inside it? I've gotten it to work a couple of times accidentally but most of the time the tooltip just disappears while the mouse is in the tiny gap between it and the thing I'm originally hovering over.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There's a setting to make them last until you move away entirely. Should be under settings -> game. The default option is pretty rubbish.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

I feel like I must be being an idiot, but how do you reliably get the cursor into one of the tooltips so you can hover over things inside it? I've gotten it to work a couple of times accidentally but most of the time the tooltip just disappears while the mouse is in the tiny gap between it and the thing I'm originally hovering over.

It's on a timer. You have to hover over the item of interest for a few seconds, then the border on the tool tip will change subtly and you can go mouseover something within it. The time is defined in the settings I think, and someone said you can change it to a simple click.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
By default you have to hover over the option for a few seconds - you can see a line scan from the bottom to the top of the tooltip window before it gets a second outline signifying that it's locked. Or yeah you can go into game settings and change it to either just always lock until you mouse away or to lock open on middle mouse click. It's settings > game > tooltip mode.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I would like that and it would actually tempt me to play elective if I kept all my personal lands and just lost the top level title. There'd be less pressure to win every election forever.

You can do that, it's not obvious, but you can add laws to specific titles. You click the title itself and you can specifically add elective to just that and none of your other holdings.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
C’mon, stupid cousin, I want to give you a kingdom (and safely hide you behind my borders). Come to my loving court.

Is the only way to stumble into a hook? I’ve already bribed him

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xanderkish posted:

Takes a lot of Chutzpah for my vassal, the pope, to declare a crusade to take Jerusalem when it's held by me, his liege.

Fortunately, I got to imprison him for the crime of Crusading against me and strip him of one of his titles.

How do you even vassalise him these days? Every avenue I have explored has either been blocked because he is his own kingdom-level title, or he just gets instantly dismantled.
:thunk:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fat Samurai posted:

C’mon, stupid cousin, I want to give you a kingdom (and safely hide you behind my borders). Come to my loving court.

Or fabricate a hook, or abduct and recruit I suppose

Could try and get him married maybe

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fat Samurai posted:

Befriend or seduce him and he'll come over if you ask.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can you seduce people whose sexuality doesn't match your character's gender?

This is CK so I'm assuming yes

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

How do you disable save syncing in the Gamepass version of CK3?

Manually canceling the save sync is the only way I can get the game to launch .

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can you seduce people whose sexuality doesn't match your character's gender?

This is CK so I'm assuming yes

No. You can seduce against your own character's sexuality (there's a penalty), but you can't seduce against the target's.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

PittTheElder posted:

Speak of the devil. The short answer is that the Barracks line of building is extremely good, you want them in every holding you personally own, to enable the following composition:

• One regiment of siege weapons, best tech you got.
  • One regiment of light cavalry. You can drop this as the game goes on, but in the early game it's real good since everyone loves archers. stops them from wrecking your infantry.
  • The rest are 50% pikemen, 50% armored footmen. Sub in your culturally specific equivalent if you got 'em. If you have access to Huscarls or Zbrojnosh absolutely drop the light cav, since those will counter archers themselves.

Thanks to all your barracks' (which give bonuses to both), those pikemen and footmen will absolutely annihilate anything that gets in front of them. Like wiping stacks 3-4 times your size. I literally never call my levies unless it's a Crusade and there's 80k guys on the other side.

The good buildings, in descending order are:
  • Regimental Grounds (requires farmland or floodplains): MAA cost discount is what you're after here. Additionally there's another bonus to pike/footmen, more knights, control growth, all great stuff.
  • Manor houses (requires farmland): it's like the regular economic building, but better.
  • Barracks. See above.
  • Tradeports (requires coastal): taxes is taxes.
  • Economic building (farms & fields, forestry, wetland farms, etc.): Taxes is taxes.
  • Hunting Grounds. Passable income, at level 5 starts giving a MAA cost discount. Defender advantage is interesting but rarely applicable.

One caveat is that I've been playing in Western and Northern Europe so far, so I'm not familiar with the buildings for deserts, oases, jungles, etc. that you find in Africa, the Middle East, or India.

For special buildings, probably Blacksmiths for the infantry bonuses and MAA discount. Might be overkill though, I would consider Military Academy for Knight bonuses, or maybe the siege one.

This is a real good post. Thanks.

As an aside, while I recognize that this is probably the most optimal I went a slightly different route. I just built the tents/camps building. I get bonuses to skirmishers and archers instead of spearmen and heavy infantry. I'd guess it's a bit cheaper than heavy infantry for probably a bit less overall power. My army is half skirmishers (I think light footmen for the Irish) and half crossbows. With my current level of tech I think I have size 12 regiments and 4 of each. I still absolutely murder other armies. I've been a juggernaught for 3-4 generations now. I've barely had a real challenge so I went looking for one and took on the Umarrids who had taken over Spain and the HRE which converted to Islam. Combined they're one of the only real threats to me numbers wise. With a 45k army I lost more to attrition and running out of supplies than I did to the enemy. Every battle became a slaughter. Like 500 casualties for 20k enemy casualties.

Basically I think the lesson I learned from my own experiences and reading this thread is that as long as you specialize your military buildings and focus your army around those bonuses you're going to slaughter the AI.

Honestly my army is so strong comparatively that even if all my vassals rebel I'll still crush them. I almost welcome them trying to gain independence, because I'll get to throw them in jail. Execute a few for the dread, release family members and good rulers I like for a weak hook and it's smooth sailing from there.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 18, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any way to raise just my professional soldiers?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

When you click raise troops it just raises your knights and maa, if you ctrl-> click to move them it will cancel mustering and you just get them. I don't think there's an option to do it without doing this though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Arglebargle III posted:

Just Ctrl-click to move your troops immediately after clicking any of the raise buttons, and they'll cancel the levy and just move your professionals.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Interestingly the hooks for this already in the game, title ownership can be made to always follow certain higher level titles, presumably that includes counties as well. Because yeah it'd be critical for Constaninople once they get around to the Roman DLC.

there's already a decision for the emperor to Reclaim Constantinople :confused:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

question : is there a way to set up so that my MAA split up "intelligently" i.e. having one unit of Onagers in each stack when I raise my armies?

..and when I split my armies..oh god.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Excelzior posted:

question : is there a way to set up so that my MAA split up "intelligently" i.e. having one unit of Onagers in each stack when I raise my armies?

..and when I split my armies..oh god.

Not really. Army management is one of those things that desperately need to be added in some early patch.

You only really have three tools at your disposal for quick-splitting things in reasonably sensible components: mercs can be raised individually; you have the “split off special troops” button; and you have the “ctrl-click to not wait” movement option. That's about it.

You could conceivably split things up by having multiple rally points and wasting MAA slots by doubling up on unit types, but the odds of that working the way you want in any predictable way are nil.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gaaaagh I teleport into my son only to discover that he was making incestuous advances on his sisters!

edit:

The Emperor is a bastard and I know about it. I'm second in line for the throne. How do I blackmail him? For some reason it says I can't, yet he doesn't have any penalties on his character screen so it doesn't seem like it's already exposed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone know why I sometimes lose whole levels of Prestige when I'm fighting battles? They're against my vassals, so maybe my kin are getting killed or something? The game does not want to tell me why this is happening, and now I appear to be stuck at Disgraced as well for some reason.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Everyone please welcome her absolute majesty, the grand lady of our halls, the immensely venerated beauty, first of her name, Duchess Bohunka Premysld

I usually always try to make complete chads as my ruler, with great stats, but roleplaying the sleaziest slob possible when you get one is quite funny.

-CALL TO WAR-
"sure I'll help"
-stays home

-CRUSADE-
"oh wow! Let me be there to help you"
-stays home-

-VASSAL NEEDS HELP AGAINST RAIDERS-
"Have I shown you this latest pudding I've invented?"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Popoto posted:

Everyone please welcome her absolute majesty, the grand lady of our halls, the immensely venerated beauty, first of her name, Duchess Bohunka Premysld

I usually always try to make complete chads as my ruler, with great stats, but roleplaying the sleaziest slob possible when you get one is quite funny.

-CALL TO WAR-
"sure I'll help"
-stays home

-CRUSADE-
"oh wow! Let me be there to help you"
-stays home-

-VASSAL NEEDS HELP AGAINST RAIDERS-
"Have I shown you this latest pudding I've invented?"

Disney villian simulator.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dye the kid's hair blonde and he's Joffery.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Husband looks like Barristan Selmy

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Arglebargle III posted:

Gaaaagh I teleport into my son only to discover that he was making incestuous advances on his sisters!

I hate it when that happens.

Tippis posted:

How do you even vassalise him these days? Every avenue I have explored has either been blocked because he is his own kingdom-level title, or he just gets instantly dismantled.
:thunk:

I can't remember what specifically I did, but I was mean emperor so I probably pursued a forced vassalization or something. Then I kidnapped him to end the war.

You know, as one does.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Maybe advanced succession types should be unlocked earlier for a primary ducal holding?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Does anyone know if/when there is going to be a fix for the head of dynasty being some random king when I am in charge of every empire from the arctic circle to the loving Gulf of Guinea?

Why does this game have so many fun bits and then just go "lol, nope" to stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you make a new cadet branch it will usually bounce the dynasty head title back to you if you're the strongest dynasty member.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I did that and it didn't do it. About how long does it take, for it to "bounce" though? If you know. Also how does it calculate "strength"?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Xanderkish posted:

I hate it when that happens.

lol on a succession my heir had cued up a Murder plot against his Stupid brother that was about to go off, I wonder if I should have just let it fire for True RP

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I did that and it didn't do it. About how long does it take, for it to "bounce" though? If you know. Also how does it calculate "strength"?

It can take up to a year for it to switch over. Strength is based purely on military strength, most troops wins.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It can take up to a year for it to switch over. Strength is based purely on military strength, most troops wins.

Hmm, does that not include levies and just "personal" troops?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Levies are counted. It's basically just "whatever the little military strength indicator on your character screen says. So it's man at arms, levies from your personal holdings, levies from vassals, etc.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's weird, it doesn't seem to swap even after 2 years of waiting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kanem-Bornu is now at 15k strength with 3000 MAA.

But the Umayyads are are 45k strength with 8000 MAA :stare:

At the very least they seem to be focusing on expanding north into Francia though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

welp!

none of them remotely hint at doing that so time to figure out who the weirdo is

Yeah I've also noticed one of the mods changing it so nudity happens at ages 16 and up instead of 18 (or 19?) and up like default. I THINK it's the enhanced barber one where you can pose characters and stuff. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's something they broke accidentally. Depending on how its coded, it seems like something that'd be easy to do when making mods for certain things.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I've also noticed one of the mods changing it so nudity happens at ages 16 and up instead of 18 (or 19?) and up like default. I THINK it's the enhanced barber one where you can pose characters and stuff. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's something they broke accidentally. Depending on how its coded, it seems like something that'd be easy to do when making mods for certain things.

Yep, in the defines file:
code:
	PORTRAIT_MALE_ADULT_AGE = 18	# The boy -> male portrait change happens at this age
	PORTRAIT_FEMALE_ADULT_AGE = 18	# The girl -> female portrait change happens at this age
The Fullscreen Barbershop mod changes both of those to = 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh god drat it, I appointed my youngest best son to succeed me, promptly died of smallpox, switched to said son and had a daughter, but now my heir is set to be my brother, who will inherit only my primary title, while said daughter gets all the holdings and every title under my top Imperial title. I'd honestly rather play as her but I can't figure out how to make the game let me do this.

e: oh also I'm about to be murdered. I cheated and rolled back a month or two but I don't think I can avert it.

e2: What's up with this Murders At Court event? I think I've got notification events after my last four rulers have died, starting to get a bit suspicious...

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 18, 2020