Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

For anyone just coming back from not playing in a decade or more? They will likely enjoy it, maybe even love it. There's a bunch of high points and for those who haven't played in a while, all the QoL adjustments made in the last generations will surprise. So, yeah, check it out.

This was me. I haven't played since Crystal and have thoroughly enjoyed playing it. Give it a try and if you get a physical copy, you can at least resell it easy enough if you don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I will say not having the national dex isn't ideal but I do think the Pokemon in the Galar dex is a pretty good mix, and besides the starters (which I don't really care for) I think the new additions are pretty solid overall. The story is a definite weakpoint and the map is pathetic, but the wild area is pretty cool, especially the improved one in the DLC. There's a lot to nitpick but the QOL changes and improvements are great and regardless of those nitpicks I've put around 200 hours into Sword and am just waiting for the new DLC before I put more in. The biggest problem will be if you have skipped a few gens and play SwSh it might be difficult to go back should you choose.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Generally speaking I like each mainline pair more than the last. SwSh was an exception, but not by much. I liked it about as much as XY but less than SuMo

The third versions and remakes are all over the map in terms of how much I like them though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I played Shield and I enjoyed it just fine. Honestly I like a lot of the new Pokemon more than the new Sun/Moon ones and Falinks is perhaps my favorite Pokemon period. It's a perfectly fine Pokemon game if what you want to do is catch cute monsters and battle people and dress up your character.

Also the music fuckin' slaps and I can't imagine anyone saying "it's just there" for the gym battle theme.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ahhh why is the players cup qualifier loving pre-ban I don't want to play series 5 anymore

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Last Pokémon game I played was black/white and that honestly put me off Pokemon for a while. I’ve picked up omega ruby and it’s been really fun so far.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Conversely, I think B/W was the peak of the series and they’ve never put as much care and effort into the games since

ORAS remains the only set of Pokemon games up to Gen 7 I never finished

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

I hate all of those aspects because I play every single game in this stupid series

For anyone just coming back from not playing in a decade or more? They will likely enjoy it, maybe even love it.

Oh yeah 110% I played RBY and GSC then took a decade or two off and SwSh was like "Aw yeah this heckin rules!!!!!" so I seriously doubt any kids would turn up their nose at SwSh.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love Sword/Shield because I love Max Raid Battles. It’s a great way to catch good Pokemon, and it’s fun to see what other people have. I’ve been a fan since before Pokémon came to America, but I’ve always been a casual. I just like hanging with my monster friends.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Also the music fuckin' slaps and I can't imagine anyone saying "it's just there" for the gym battle theme.

This too, the first gym was such a hype experience that I almost wish it was the official demo. You could probably just play that and get everything you need out of the game. To me, the rest of the game is the ice cream in pie a la mode.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

I love Sword/Shield because I love Max Raid Battles. It’s a great way to catch good Pokemon, and it’s fun to see what other people have. I’ve been a fan since before Pokémon came to America, but I’ve always been a casual. I just like hanging with my monster friends.

worth noting theres a good chance these just wont ever work for potential buyers

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I put in at least 600 hours into Shield. Most of it was breeding monsters while the story itself got completed in like an eighth of that time. Then kinda dropped off when Animal Crossing came out, picked it up when the Isle of Armor DLC came out, but then dropped it again after 3 weeks.

It's fine, but its very obvious that it could have gotten better writing, more time, and more polish on several aspects. The tight development cycle that worked when the games were on smaller less complex systems don't really work when its put on a bigger console like the Switch. Which is weird since half the team was also working on Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee and those games ended up being a slightly more complete package.

I think that one of the main reasons why people were disappointed with Sword and Shield (apart from cutting 400 something older monsters) is that its basically a 3DS game that's made to compete with games like Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. If Game Freak actually broke out of the "new generation every 3 year cycle" that they've been in ever since Ruby and Sapphire and gave the games longer development times then it would address these issues.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Super No Vacancy posted:

worth noting theres a good chance these just wont ever work for potential buyers

Sure, but you could at least also post the tips and tricks for making it work:

- make sure you Connect to the Internet before trying to find other people. by default, you just search for players using a local connection, so unless someone is next to you and also searching locally, you'll sit there forever.
- set up a league card link trade and set a random password. Keep hitting X to refresh the card list.
- use your master ball on a Pokemon you want to add to your team but are hard to catch, like a Fearow or Tentacruel

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The card trade trick works great these days. Only thing I ever have to wait for is a Pokémon I want. Just have to be quick on the more popular ones. And my last couple sessions I’ve gotten a shiny in less than two hours.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Open Marriage Night posted:

The card trade trick works great these days. Only thing I ever have to wait for is a Pokémon I want. Just have to be quick on the more popular ones. And my last couple sessions I’ve gotten a shiny in less than two hours.
You can get shinies a lot faster than that if you join the discord. They have shiny den raids hosted pretty regularly.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Ahhh why is the players cup qualifier loving pre-ban I don't want to play series 5 anymore

It's such a bad decision

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That's so dumb

I was having a lot of fun with the season 6 shakeup. I come across teams every day with stuff I haven't seen before, and I'm sure loads of people bred and trained practically a whole new team for s6 instead of continuing to work on their s5 one

I know earlier I said "I love doubles it's so much variety!" But it turns out I only felt that way because they keep adding and removing stuff. If you keep it perfectly static like the end of s5 it turns into solved teams just like singles

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's so dumb

I was having a lot of fun with the season 6 shakeup. I come across teams every day with stuff I haven't seen before, and I'm sure loads of people bred and trained practically a whole new team for s6 instead of continuing to work on their s5 one

I know earlier I said "I love doubles it's so much variety!" But it turns out I only felt that way because they keep adding and removing stuff. If you keep it perfectly static like the end of s5 it turns into solved teams just like singles

Some competitive players prefer a solved format but boy am I not one of them

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah it becomes all about who knows the meta the most and makes the perfect big brain mind reading plays against the other guy

I prefer the state the game is in now where Primarina is super common, so people run Dracozolt to counter it, and they don't realize Marowak has lightning rod because you just don't see that a lot, and you're eating up their Dynamax Max Lightning for free before the opponent disconnects

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I finished the DLC and tried the pokemon sparring. I really enjoyed these type-only challenges in previous gens, and I do appreciate that sparring challenges don't have me battling trainers of all the same-type as me. I know that makes it harder in a way, but doing something like a poison-only challenge against other poison-only types kinda defeats the purpose of poison pokemon, etc.

I started off with water-type sparring and got to 10 wins. Wow that was miserable. I used my heals after 2 and 4 wins because I was only worried about getting to 5, but then I kept going and what did me in was a walling pressure dusknoir followed by a pressure corviknight that got me with 3 spite moves. Goodbye 12 + 6 PP on those 3 turns. What's weird is that gamefreak would use a marathon style format like sparring in the gen where they halved the PP for most moves.

I don't think I'm going to battle 6 trainers in a row without resting again. This was not challenging in a fun way. Do single-use items get used up in sparring, or does it work like battle tower because they cap all pokemon at lvl 50?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

g0del posted:

You can get shinies a lot faster than that if you join the discord. They have shiny den raids hosted pretty regularly.

Definitely. I got some of my must haves (Charizard, Lapras, Appletun) from there. But usually I’m just doing random raids while I’m bored at home. I enjoy the surprise.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I don't think I'm going to battle 6 trainers in a row without resting again. This was not challenging in a fun way. Do single-use items get used up in sparring, or does it work like battle tower because they cap all pokemon at lvl 50?

It works like the Battle Tower. You get your items back when you exit, and also they're restored when you use a heal.

The overall strength of the enemy trainers in Restricted Sparring is lower than the Battle Tower, and they rarely try any rude gimmicks, so I found it's not too difficult to coast through some of the types with overwhelmingly powerful offense that doesn't need to set up. Water and Dragon are both really easy because you can bring Dracovish, for instance, and Ice because you're allowed to use Darmanitan.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
There's a wild area event on. You can maybe get a shiny Clefable if you get lucky https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/wildareaevents.shtml

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh why Clefable. It has a disgustingly low catch rate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for anyone here who plays Pokemon Masters, is there some issue regarding the game and IOS 14? I saw the notification and was somewhat hesitant about updating.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I think you mean Pokémon Mastersex

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I think you mean Pokémon Mastersex

It’s Masters EX and I don’t give a poo poo about that stupid meme, it’s a good game and the gatcha elements barely matter.

That said, anyone have a real answer to my question?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't have my own answer to your question, because I haven't updated yet, seeing as Pokemon Go is a mess on iOS14 (and what a surprise that is). But Masters seems fine -- I haven't heard anyone complaining on its subreddit after updating. There seems to be a bug for some people on the James event, but it seems to be on Android.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

It’s Masters EX and I don’t give a poo poo about that stupid meme, it’s a good game and the gatcha elements barely matter.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Larryb posted:

Nah it's Master Sex

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nevermind

Saoshyant posted:

I don't have my own answer to your question, because I haven't updated yet, seeing as Pokemon Go is a mess on iOS14 (and what a surprise that is). But Masters seems fine -- I haven't heard anyone complaining on its subreddit after updating. There seems to be a bug for some people on the James event, but it seems to be on Android.

Good to know, thanks. I just saw a notification in the latest update and wanted to make sure updating my OS wouldn’t mess anything up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, do we have any idea yet when the next SwSh DLC is supposed to be coming out?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, do we have any idea yet when the next SwSh DLC is supposed to be coming out?

"Autumn 2020" so maybe next month?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Sorry I will not pass up the opportunity to make fun of the name

For what it is worth it works fine on my iOS14

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Sorry I will not pass up the opportunity to make fun of the name

For what it is worth it works fine on my iOS14

It is a stupid name I'll give you that (not sure why they randomly decided to add "EX" to the title), but good to know anyway.

Edit: Yeah, it works fine in IOS 4. Not sure what that notice was about then.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 18, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tundra's probably slated for a october/november release like a full game of Pokemon would've been, and maybe we'll get a Sword/Shield Deluxe version with them loaded onto it and cause everyone that bought the base game to have an aneurysm

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vinylshadow posted:

Tundra's probably slated for a october/november release like a full game of Pokemon would've been, and maybe we'll get a Sword/Shield Deluxe version with them loaded onto it and cause everyone that bought the base game to have an aneurysm

People who wait for the third version win again!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

Do you want people even more mad?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Even more mad? Pokemon SwSh Deluxe, since they know you'll have the expansions, remove the IoA and CT Pokedexes, and combine them with the Galar Dex to create the National Dex.

You babies want the words "National Dex" in the game so bad? Buy it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Larryb posted:

I believe they said before November 20th or something, so fairly soon.