Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I believe in Burbo, for Burbo is powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You don't get to be a real Precure until you've put in at least 10 years of work in the Miracle Lights factory

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, the first season of Detective Conan/Case Closed is coming to Crunchyroll:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-09-17/crunchyroll-adds-case-closed-anime-1st-season-to-catalog/.164160

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Giga Burbo

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
burpo

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don’t want to be powerful I just want the frilly dress

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think rinne no lagrange might be one of my top mecha anime, having finished it today

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
my long nightmare is over and they have confirmed that Rune Factory 5 is a real video game. Praise be to farm games

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is there no legal way to stream Revue Starlight in Canada?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i think rinne no lagrange might be one of my top mecha anime, having finished it today

it's so good!!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

if there is it'd be on hidive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

even if there was a legal way to stream it, you don't want to legally stream it. the official subs are garbage.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched Revue Starlight on hi-dive, and loved it. What's up with the subs?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's possible they fixed that one after the fact, but there's this one infamous subber working for sentai who ruins every show they touch, like they clearly are straight up mishearing a decent % of lines.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The biggest issue I had with the subs at least was trying to keep track of lyrics and what characters are saying.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah unfortunately the streaming companies are years (decades?) behind fansubs in typesetting stuff like that so that its readable and not a vomit of unformatted lines

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Figures. Anyone know names for a decent fansub group for it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Acerbatus posted:

Figures. Anyone know names for a decent fansub group for it?

Chyuu-Pas

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:same:

extremely

:same:

That's nothing to do with anyone's post, I'm just watching Nichijou and saw the :same: poster.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Finished episode 2 of Big O, I love it so much lol. It feels like a cartoon I'd watch in the 90s on RTE but made by Japanese people. Lmfao at the end when he makes everyone in the house wear black.

I'm watching the dub so the only OP I got so far is the voice saying "Cast from god..." no opening song yet. I like that Dorothy has joined Roger on the hourglass in the ED though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EmmyOk posted:

Finished episode 2 of Big O, I love it so much lol. It feels like a cartoon I'd watch in the 90s on RTE but made by Japanese people. Lmfao at the end when he makes everyone in the house wear black.

I'm watching the dub so the only OP I got so far is the voice saying "Cast from god..." no opening song yet. I like that Dorothy has joined Roger on the hourglass in the ED though

You're probably not getting it since it very obviously ripped off a popular song so here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_Od9CmTu0

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

You're probably not getting it since it very obviously ripped off a popular song so here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_Od9CmTu0

Lmfao hell yeah

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

EmmyOk posted:

Makes sense. It was animated by the same studio that did Batman the Animated Series, and season 2 was created based specifically on US audience feedback. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite story about big o is the director being invited to a western con and arguing with other anime staff who had been invited there whose show was most popular in the west, and big o guy went 'we got a second season entirely because of the western fans!' to win the argument

like how do you top that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK51HfpbxaA

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCU89re1Vk

I'm really glad this CG looks so good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why does my cat(sox) keep pissing on catbeds

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

why does my cat(sox) keep pissing on catbeds
learning from it's master

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Episode 12 of Galaxy Railways was a really solid melancholy old scifi story that you don't really see anymore. Excellent show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually random aside speaking of anime that got more episodes because of western fans, Sonic X had its third season commissioned by 4kids. It was animated in Japan still and some of the original anime's staff returned, but the third season didn't air in Japan or get a Japanese dub until super recently - I think like 2019? Interesting case, since Big O season 2 still aired in Japan.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 19, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

actually random aside speaking of anime that got more episodes because of western fans, Sonic X had its third season commissioned by 4kids. It was animated in Japan still and some of the original anime's staff returned, but the third season didn't air in Japan or get a Japanese dub until super recently - I think like 2019? Interesting case, since Big O season 2 still aired in Japan.

Part of me thinks this has happened before with a Kids show dub getting additional episodes done that didn't air for their original Japanese show but I'm blanking for an example

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Part of me thinks this has happened before with a Kids show dub getting additional episodes done that didn't air for their original Japanese show but I'm blanking for an example

Ultimate Muscle I think?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

stuff like the capsule monsters arc in yugioh also, that 4kids inexplicably had produced and never aired in japan

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

As I understand it, the third season actually aired in France first (though I believe the Japanese audio track may have been recorded beforehand), then it was dubbed in other countries including America and finally the Japanese version was released via streaming services a few years ago.

That said, Season 3 did actually finally air on Japanese TV but not until literally March of this year.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 19, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wait, if Sonic X S3 didn't have a Japanese dub or airing, what was that unedited version of the ending (where Tails gets way more emotional than in the dub) that I saw years back as a kid? :psyduck:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

Wait, if Sonic X didn't have a Japanese dub or airing, what was that unedited version of S3's ending (where Tails gets way more emotional than in the dub) that I saw years back as a kid? :psyduck:

Sonic X Season 3 did have a Japanese dub which I just mentioned above. The uncut version of the show with the scene you described aired in France and other countries while 4Kids trimmed a bunch of stuff for the US release.

I believe all 78 episodes are still available subbed on Hulu (or some official streaming service at least) if you were ever curious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ah, I missed the part about the French airing using Japanese audio, thanks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

Ah, I missed the part about the French airing using Japanese audio, thanks.

Ah, no I meant the Japanese audio was likely recorded first but just never used for a while. The French version was dubbed into French but is uncut and basically a direct adaptation of the Japanese script (though interestingly in their version of the anime Eggman is still called “Robotnik”).

That said, I believe a Chinese DVD release of the season included a Japanese voice option which is how some people in the west first saw it. As I said, it was eventually put up on a Japanese streaming service and finally aired on TV over there in March of this year.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Iirc this actually happened with Dragonball Z Kai too where it just did okay in Japan (well, okay for freakin Dragonball) but sold gangbusters on Nicktoons, there was even an interview with Krillin’s JP VA where she said she was recording audio for the Buu arc even though they had no plans to air it on TV. That ended up changing for whatever reason but you can still tell that Kai: The Final Chapters was dubbed right after Cell since it doesn’t have the VA changes from Super even though that aired first in the US.