Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

RBG's refusal to retire just cost the court for a generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1307099466449776640?s=20

Odds of Pelosi pragmatically compromising and voting a new Trump judge through?

oooh poo poo this is gonna get interesting

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

TFW you hold on to life out of the vanity of desiring a symbolic-feminist replacement, only to die in the double digit last days of the fat orange guy's presidency, while his party controls the senate

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

nah

her participation in a maskless public event, though..?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I say three weeks. A month at most to replace her. We sure will get a lot of posts about how hypocritical Mitch is being though! That'll show 'em.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Really looking forward to seeing McConnel tap dance his way around why they need a judge now rather than after the election, considering what he did the last time this happened.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Excelzior posted:

nah

her participation in a maskless public event, though..?

Her health was turbofucked well before that. She should have retired 8 years ago for someone younger and angrier, and instead we're gonna get Justice Cruz or Justice Cotton

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I say three weeks. A month at most to replace her. We sure will get a lot of posts about how hypocritical Mitch is being though! That'll show 'em.

oh yea they're gonna just cram some Federalist sociopath into her seat before Halloween.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Look, at least with a 6-3 court you only need to convince two justices, but if Trump gets a 7-2 court...

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
RBG was an egotistical piece of poo poo who should have retired before 2014.

Oh well, that's one argument for Biden that won't be relevant any more.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Really looking forward to seeing McConnel tap dance his way around why they need a judge now rather than after the election, considering what he did the last time this happened.

It's only precedent to not confirm a new Supreme Court justice if they die in an election year while the incumbent is term-limited.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
RBG just took one of Biden's strongest cards off the loving table

Dems might have to pivot to actual policy rather than the threat of Trump's Justice now, what a shocking twist

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Somfin posted:

Dems might have to pivot to actual policy rather than the threat of Trump's Justice now, what a shocking twist

Possible the appointment is a Kavanaugh type that pisses people off and spurs opposition. Guess we'll see

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
“There are many, many important cases on the Supreme Court’s docket right now — too important for the American people to do without a nine-member court. I look forward to working with the president to get a new justice confirmed fastidiously so these cases get the resolution they deserve.” — a thing Mitch McConnell’s office will probably put out in an hour or so.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1307099466449776640?s=20

Odds of Pelosi pragmatically compromising and voting a new Trump judge through?

If trump was smart he'd nominate Biden lol

How likely is it that trump extorts the republican party to give them the nominee they want? How likely is it that he trips over his own dick and ruins everything?

:siren:WHAT'S THE OVER-UNDER, GOONS?!?:siren:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Somfin posted:

Are you kidding me? it's the opposite. Woman's choice is now on the line (it already was but now it's duh). So no, this will probably help Biden. And it's a sad freaking day.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

LionArcher posted:

Are you kidding me? it's the opposite. Woman's choice is now on the line (it already was but now it's duh). So no, this will probably help Biden. And it's a sad freaking day.

Nah, she should have retired a decade ago, she'll be remembered as an rear end in a top hat.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Are you kidding me? it's the opposite. Woman's choice is now on the line (it already was but now it's duh).

The odds of a new judge being appointed before the election are nearing 100%.

The only candidate to suggest stacking the courts was Sanders, and people balked at him for that.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

Nah, she should have retired a decade ago, she'll be remembered as an rear end in a top hat.

You are delusional.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The newly implemented slow mode is now on in this thread. You may only make one post every 10 minutes; make good ones.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah that's the problem, the thread was moving too fast.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

https://twitter.com/ComradeChungus/status/1307106888409067522?s=19

fool of sound posted:

The newly implemented slow mode is now on in this thread. You may only make one post every 10 minutes; make good ones.

To what end?

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 19, 2020

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Of course the COVID wedding RBG went to probably didn't impact her dying today, but lol the bride locked her Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/barbsolish/

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Hahahaha holy poo poo she finally loving died. What a reprehensible piece of poo poo, that's amazing.

I can't imagine there's any way they won't have a new justice appointed by trump before the end of the year, there's really nothing to stop them at all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
literally nobody outside of this deranged forum or the gop will view her as egotistical

fool of sound posted:

why start now

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CelestialScribe posted:

You are delusional.

No, her raging ego handed the Supreme Court to the fascists, anyone with a clear head will know this.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

LionArcher posted:

I'm really curious if my call time to Dem volunteers tomorrow is going to be impacted by this. I expect people are, somehow, going to be even more determined to win this election.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If they do ram through another justice now that might actually provide enough public outcry to create the political will/push to actually pack the court or completely redo it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Here we go. Tom loving Cotton.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Sure could use a revolution about now! Ah well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yawgmoft posted:

If they do ram through another justice now that might actually provide enough public outcry to create the political will/push to actually pack the court or completely redo it.

The Democrats are a party of Do nothings. Their whole political goal is to make small progressive changes that are instantly and easily reversible by their opponents in fear of enraging their opponents too much. They'll take this on the chin.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Now is a good time to remind ourselves of 2016, when the republican controlled senate refused to approve of supreme court justices in the final year of a sitting presid-aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:kheldragar:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Yawgmoft posted:

That's my earnest hope with all of this. The feigned urgency about how we need Biden to pick her replacement was really just misdirected, the true issue is that the system is busted and needs to be fixed or destroyed.

Pack the court, do whatever, even if it winds up blowing the system we have up. Stop trying to play a busted game.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
I don't know why anyone would blame RBG for not retiring in 2014, that was during the Obama administration and the difference between the Obama administration and the Trump administration is just aesthetic, so nothing would be different.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
There goes another reason to vote Biden. Now he won't even get to replace a justice unless Kavanaugh goes on a fatal bender

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I think it's pretty obvious the GOP dangles RBG's vacancy in front of voters to spur turnout for their base in November, rather than try to ram through a nomination now.

Plus, if they wanted to be so brazen (I know...) if they lose in November they could just force a nomination in the lame duck session.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lmao forever. Another gerontocrat who should've retired a decade ago instead refused to relinquish power and attended a god drat wedding without a mask during a pandemic, and people like me are gonna be blamed for that egotism. Cool!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

court was already gone anyway

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think the Republicans are going to ram someone through before the election; they can't campaign on how important it is to keep Biden from filling the empty seat then, something that might motivate a lot of their voters who aren't happy with Trump and were considering not voting or something, if they do it now. Plus there are senators who probably think that filling the seat now after what happened in 2016 would hurt their own reelection chances by giving their opponent ammunition against them specifically, on top of removing a reason for their own voters to support them. They just had a great opportunity fall into their laps, and would be foolish to waste it.

If Biden wins the election anyway, then we'll see Trump's nomination rushed through before January, because there's nothing stopping them from doing it and it would be years before they faced any potential consequences, plenty of time for people's memories and anger to fade. There's basically no risk for them, and it's not like Democrats under a Biden presidency would impeach the judge in those circumstances, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

World War Mammories posted:

lmao forever. Another gerontocrat who should've retired a decade ago instead refused to relinquish power and attended a god drat wedding without a mask during a pandemic, and people like me are gonna be blamed for that egotism. Cool!

Not an empty quote. RBG is one of history's great monsters for her deadly irresponsibility.

Short of packing - which the Bidenites are simply not gonna do - this situation is beyond repair. Prepare to protest, and don't risk getting the roni in the voting lines - no matter what happens, you don't want chronic health problems in whatever follows this November.