Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I do hope there’s a little more to be revealed. So far, for the tic tocs being such a long-running and mysterious element, everything’s been focused on “tying up loose ends” related to their appearances, without a lot more depth to it. Many had guessed the birds were built by Kat — did they have something to do with her awakening god-powers? No, it turns out some other god(s) just gave her the ability to send them back in time. Why did they seem to be lurking in the background everywhere throughout the court in the early days? It turns out we weren’t just catching some glimpses, they (or really, except here on the bridge, “it” because there’s kind of just one) only ever appeared in the places we specifically saw them on-panel.

I expect that I will be satisfied pretty soon though. Who knows what we might see with multi-Kat shenanagins? And the aforementioned version of the tic toc that grows into the forest before Ysengrin finds it? Or further back in time? Plenty of opportunities for surprises.

I would guess some of Tom’s conception for how this all would play out has changed a little bit in the - what, 12? 13? - years since he wrote the initial appearances. But I don’t think I’ve ever been underwhelmed or disappointed by how the story has played out, even if it hasn’t been what I’d have predicted or expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, I feel like there's going to be more after they take care of making sure Annie doesn't die. Robot lore puts the tiktoks as mythological birds that predate the court. I think that once they don't have the weight of child defenestration on their minds, they'll realize this is the perfect opportunity to get some info on mysteries they've been faced with.

What is the seed bismuth? Who was the gunner? Welp, might as well swing by and check it out.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I'd be disappointed if the entire history of Tic-Tocs in the court ended up being a single sitting of Kat borrowing someone's time machine.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i could see it becoming a thing that kat gets addicted to finding the time/space coordinates for various events and becomes a panoptic menace before being snapped out of it

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think we're gonna get an "unhandled exception in the timestream" very soon.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Same. At the moment the whole chapter is really underwhelming narratively - it’s just “Kat closes a time loop because she randomly got time travel powers to close the time loop”. She didn’t set out to do it, both the problem and solution were handed to her. If that’s the end of it and all of this never comes up again it’ll be a weird waste of time, but I assume it’s going somewhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am okay with deus ex machine-a.

edit: Wait machina already means machine. Deux ex machina machina? Machina ex machina?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Same. At the moment the whole chapter is really underwhelming narratively - it’s just “Kat closes a time loop because she randomly got time travel powers to close the time loop”. She didn’t set out to do it, both the problem and solution were handed to her. If that’s the end of it and all of this never comes up again it’ll be a weird waste of time, but I assume it’s going somewhere.

This is the opposite of a "waste" of time tho :v:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kikas posted:

This is the opposite of a "waste" of time tho :v:

How do you waste something when you theoretically now have infinite of it?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Snake Maze posted:

The only way it makes sense is if this time travelling adventure goes on to reveal something important in the later pages after saving Annie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We'll see Ysengrin digging up the bird after it self-repairs and the events that lead to Coyote and he coming to the court.

Oh poo poo, what if Coyote talks to them through the bird.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MikeJF posted:

We'll see Ysengrin digging up the bird after it self-repairs and the events that lead to Coyote and he coming to the court.

It would be Tuesday. Friday.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

MikeJF posted:

We'll see Ysengrin digging up the bird after it self-repairs and the events that lead to Coyote and him coming to the court.

Yeah I'm banking on Coyote knowing exactly what's up and talking to them through the bird. He might even give Kat a nickname!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Have Kat and Coyote ever even talked? This could be great

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I could be wrong, but I don't think Kat has ever even seen Coyote

Maybe when he knocked over the building she could've caught a glimpse

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

There Bias Two posted:

The only way it makes sense is if this time travelling adventure goes on to reveal something important in the later pages after saving Annie.

"So, you see, Coyote only got the idea to split Annie after seeing you send multiple birds to save her!"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Coyote would look like a bunch of rocks to Kat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Warmachine posted:

One does not "simply" break a stable time loop.

It's true, I tried doing that and look who's president.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Have we ever seen Coyote and Kat in the same room??? :tinfoil:

Also can't wait for Lupe vs Kat. Cat vs Dog :haw:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

"So, you see, Coyote only got the idea to split Annie after seeing you send multiple birds to save her!"

despite being a little down on how easy this arc has been it’d be 100% redeemed if this happened

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Coyote would look like a bunch of rocks to Kat.

Dead goose and a lake.

Also I'm guessing Kat fails to save Annie and they see the body, then everyone looks at the twin antimonies expecting one to disappear. But they don't because it's differing dimensions theories, that just means one version of Annie is dead, so Kat needs to go full goddess to save all the annie's.

Basically this is the plot for Into the Breach.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Kat'a attempts keep failing for awhile, not enough birds, they land in the water, set her down on the wrong shore, etc, until she finally gets it right and they can stop watching more and more dead Annies.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I imagine we stick around to see the bird start building itself into the cliffside because even though ysengrin was the one who "planted" it
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=276

this is still kind of a weird thing for her bird corpse to just do, goes beyond what might have just been a "repair"

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
it's a loop, there's always enough birds, and it's always the same one, just further along on its personal chronology

everytime Kat sends the bird back to that event, it's from a different perspective, with the final time being the one where it will have been smashed

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

rannum posted:

I imagine we stick around to see the bird start building itself into the cliffside because even though ysengrin was the one who "planted" it
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=276

this is still kind of a weird thing for her bird corpse to just do, goes beyond what might have just been a "repair"

I always assumed that was a lie, but I suppose we might find out soon.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That looks like a hand reaching for Annie, nice composition.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Who's that guy in the bottom left panel? I can't identify this mysterious fellow without the comic's alt text telling me who he is!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Mort?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jones?

fake edit: can't be jones, jones is a robot

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I can’t believe Jones pushed football head off a bridge

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

GodFish posted:

Kat'a attempts keep failing for awhile, not enough birds, they land in the water, set her down on the wrong shore, etc, until she finally gets it right and they can stop watching more and more dead Annies.

Dead Annies are the enemy.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
the enemy is dead Annie
and the bird keeps out the enemy
that's why we build the bird
we build the bird to keep Annie

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe

With regards to the temporal duplication of the birds, some physicists have theorized that the universe contains only a single electron, appearing in different positions by travelling through time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SimonChris posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe

With regards to the temporal duplication of the birds, some physicists have theorized that the universe contains only a single electron, appearing in different positions by travelling through time.

This, unfortunately is almost certainly not the correct model for the electron since when it's traveling backwards in time it would look like a positron and we should see an equal number of electrons and positrons which we don't.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Okay two electrons then Mr science

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Neat shot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tom half-jokingly cringed at this and some other early chapters in his retrospective because he said he felt that back in the day depicting action scenes were not particularly his forte.

Good news Tom! They're extremely your forte now! They're like super your forte!

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

I appreciate the comments mirroring the originals...and today's also reflecting how it's just the one Tic Toc.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2361
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=124

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Sucks reading stuff in this thread made in 2014 with posters being rather blatantly transphobic. Just wanted to read about cool speculation/reactions to old content, but nah, gotta read about someone saying transgender women should be definitely be harassed because they had the gall to point out an off hand joke might be iffy.