Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vader is pretty much coded from day one as a living weapon, wielding magic but kept alive by technology. Palpatine absolutely wants to trade him in for the newer model. They went out of their way to portray his outfit as a mobile iron lung, not power armour. He's a contradictory character, on purpose, and they lean into that because it's such a powerful theme.

Might also be related to how carbonite suspended animation is shown as new and untrusted and Vader has confidence in it- because he's reliant on technology to live. Either he's fine with the consequences of such because of his own status (and willing to pay Boba Fett extra) or willing to trust in technology because he has to every day to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Vader doesn't have great confidence in it, which is why he has it tested on Han.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vader knows Carbonite freezing can work due to that time he had it done on himself 19 years prior - he was just skeptical of the facilities and used Han as the guinea pig

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It does seem like an unorthodox repurposing of unintended facilities. Given the ambition of Star Wars and what Lucas could do if he wanted to at that point, I imagine every piece of visual and implicit language should be taken as deliberate.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It was experimental and jury-rigged until we found out that Mandalorians apparently keep carbon freezing chambers in their ships for transporting people.

New Star Wars is so dumb.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I write that in the sense that calling Hitler some ultimate satanic evil ascribes to him a certain dignity and a clarity of purpose that he didn’t actually have. Nazis are just dangerously stupid.

Star Wars itself raises this point, with Vader saying that the Death Star is just dumb as hell and then choking that dude out.

The Nazis just brought what Europe had already been doing to the rest of the world over the course of the last century back to the imperial core. I suppose trying desperately to keep capitalism going in the face of crisis and decline is dangerously stupid from the standpoint of the entire human race, but for the German bourgeoisie it makes plenty of sense and fascism is a logical endpoint of the full-throated pursuit of that goal. Similarly, if you're going to maintain a class dictatorship by a minority of the population you need to inflict outrageous and arbitrary terror on anyone who steps out of line or happens to hail from the wrong minority group; the death star is dumb as hell in the same sense as the unilateral executions visited by police officers on random pedestrians are dumb as hell. They seem pointless and counterproductive at first blush, more liable to foment than to quash revolt, but the powers that be really have no choice but to sink to lower and lower depths of those kinds if they want to maintain their grip on the means of production.

I think it makes more sense to compare the First Order not to Soviet Russia but to the modern-day Russian Federation and, more broadly, the entire rest of the non-American world. They've largely been remade in capitalism's/Palpatine's image, and the power that did that largely flowed from America/the old Republic, but now that power center is growing increasingly irrelevant and derangedly revanchist, not realizing that for the most part it's already won and can just chill the gently caress out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was fetts idea to use the carbon freeIng in esb tho wasn’t it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You misunderstand. Zizek claimed that the USSR was a tragedy whereas the Third Reich was not. What he means is that Communism was a genuinely utopian social project which was compromised and taken over by gangsters. Whereas the Nazis were never more than a bunch of gangsters whose ideology was just murder and plunder.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

It was fetts idea to use the carbon freeIng in esb tho wasn’t it

Nah, he was skeptical of it and wanted to make sure Han wasn't "damaged" iirc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

Nah, he was skeptical of it and wanted to make sure Han wasn't "damaged" iirc

Yeah, Vader wanted to use it on Luke to transport him and used Han as a test subject, explicitly promising to compensate Boba Fett if Han didn't survive the procedure.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jewmanji posted:

It was experimental and jury-rigged until we found out that Mandalorians apparently keep carbon freezing chambers in their ships for transporting people.

New Star Wars is so dumb.

The Mandalorian takes place after ESB, though. Once it's proven to be a perfectly safe and viable way to transport bounties, why wouldn't bounty hunters all over the galaxy start using it? I don't believe they ever say in the show that it's a thing Mandalorians have been doing for a long time or anything. And Han was on display at Jabba's palace for a year, so it's not like people wouldn't have heard about it.

I thought that actually made perfect sense.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

The Mandalorian takes place after ESB, though. Once it's proven to be a perfectly safe and viable way to transport bounties, why wouldn't bounty hunters all over the galaxy start using it? I don't believe they ever say in the show that it's a thing Mandalorians have been doing for a long time or anything. And Han was on display at Jabba's palace for a year, so it's not like people wouldn't have heard about it.

I thought that actually made perfect sense.

it's more silly that it was apparently so easy to miniaturize this industrial process that required a 20 story machine and just toss in the back of a space pickup

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

punishedkissinger posted:

it's more silly that it was apparently so easy to miniaturize this industrial process that required a 20 story machine and just toss in the back of a space pickup

Alright, that's fair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Yeah, next you're gonna tell me that in 20 years, computers will be smaller than refrigerators and people will have them in their living rooms!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, next you're gonna tell me that in 20 years, computers will be smaller than refrigerators and people will have them in their living rooms!

i think it's a little more comparable to like, an industrial smelter. it didn't really bother me though, i kinda laughed and accepted it. mandalorian is good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I would just assume that seeing the results, enterprising space HVAC people went into overdrive engineering a way to make the process smaller and faster.

Please do not post a Marvel Comics story or an excerpt form an EU story confirming this.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

The Mandalorian takes place after ESB, though.

Actually didn’t know this- I thought it was another prequel like Rogue One. Still, it’s completely moronic for reasons explained above and more besides.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Mandalorian takes place at time when the characters, writers, and crew, believed the Emperor was dead.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I've been avoiding the gently caress out of the Mandalorian just to annoy my friend, who keeps begging me to watch and saying, "It's Star Wars, and it's good."

Well last night I broke down and watched the first episode which turned into the first four episodes. And guess what? It's Star Wars, and it's good!

Now I absolutely cannot wait for them to shove a loving Skywalker in Season 2 somehow and make it all about them and ruin loving everything.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I didn't watch past the first episode, but from my understanding of what worked about season 1 I am extremely skeptical that ahsoka and bobb fett are needed/belong/will improve the show. God help it if there are more 'things you know' characters they're going to try to jam in there that have managed to be kept secret

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If they’re just dropping in for an episode in the course of the “job of the week” and then maybe showing up again at the end, don’t really see it being a problem or interrupting the normal rhythms of the show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Has any reputable source reported anything about Pedro Pascal leaving the show over creative disputes, or is that just completely fabricated internet rumor? Seems like the easiest paycheck in the world for him; it’s essentially a voice role.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I trust Filoni and Favreau

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

General Dog posted:

Has any reputable source reported anything about Pedro Pascal leaving the show over creative disputes, or is that just completely fabricated internet rumor? Seems like the easiest paycheck in the world for him; it’s essentially a voice role.
It must be a rough breakup if he's spent the week promoting season 2 on his twitter account.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

General Dog posted:

The idea of him leaving abruptly makes me want an absurd death scene.

Baby Yoda: "Something to say, you look like you have."
Mandalorian: "I have to go now. My planet needs me. This is the way."
*He jetpacks away before exploding in the sky*
Ahsoka: "DIN'S DEAD!"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My guess is that spooky clone emperor wants baby yoda to harvest energy from thus tying it to the sequels and that mando and ahsoka will gently caress off forever never to be seen or heard from again

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm perfectly OK with some minor retcons like Mandalorians using carbonite. It being untested was an interesting element in ESB but if it instead had been an existing way to do things it wouldn't have really changed the story at all.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It’s dumb because the carbon freezing was used in ESB in extremely exigent circumstances- it was purely by chance that Han went to visit Lando, Vader was just creating a solution out of thin air to contain Luke who was so dangerous that mere handcuffs wouldn’t be suitable.

Carbon freezing is obviously used for some unspecified industrial mining process on Bespin and it requires an absolutely massive room. It’d be like if Vader found a creative use for a forklift in ESB and then it turns out Mandalorians just start adopting the extremely unorthodox use of miniaturized forklifts to capture people and stack them on shelves like an Amazon warehouse. It’s just weird.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was certain I remembered Lando saying they use the carbon freezer to ship food, but of course that dialogue isn't actually in the movie. It wouldn't even make sense since it's a gas mine and they wouldn't ship food out of the city

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

2house2fly posted:

I was certain I remembered Lando saying they use the carbon freezer to ship food, but of course that dialogue isn't actually in the movie. It wouldn't even make sense since it's a gas mine and they wouldn't ship food out of the city

The Bespene Cloudburger is a delicacy in nine systems!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Carbonate Preservation is a common enough concept that threepio the protocol droid remarks "oh that'll work quite well provided he survives the freezing process"

Vader says the facility is crude but should be sufficient.

The implication is that this is a fairly mature and widespread process and its really just a case of having the necessary equipment to hand.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So it’s the equivalent of the Imperial fleet forgetting to stock up on ziplock bags

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I wonder if they put a lovely star wars in theaters on purpose, to kill theaters, only to instantly release boba fett 2 onto their new exclusive proprietary streamo supremo source

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I prefer the idea that Mando's clearly like or respect Vader's game

He's a trend setter

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
We know Boba Fett's totally incompetent as an actual bounty hunter, but his actual skills are all in sales. He got Vader to pay him for a bounty when he really didn't do anything, then collected from Jabba on the same bounty.

Obviously, after that, he made it big selling other bounty hunters on Fett Brand Ezy-Freeze Carbonite Chambers - As Used by Jabba the Hutt!

It's not actually as efficient or convenient as he implied, but now every Mandalorian's crammed one in the back of their ship, so they might as well use it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Angry Salami posted:

We know Boba Fett's totally incompetent as an actual bounty hunter, but his actual skills are all in sales. He got Vader to pay him for a bounty when he really didn't do anything, then collected from Jabba on the same bounty.

Well, he did track Han, when Han had managed to evade Vader and the Imperial fleet in the area. Which isn't nothing. Vader wouldn't have found Han on Cloud City if not for Boba Fett, which means Fett couldn't have delivered Han to Jabba, and Vader couldn't have lured Luke to Cloud City. Kind of an important moment.

His one major victory in every movie we see him in is correctly guessing that Han would hide in the trash. Or at least waiting to see if he was still there, while the Empire peaced the gently caress out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You'd think the Empire would have scanned the other planets in the system for settlements and checked them out just in case anyway

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

You'd think the Empire would have scanned the other planets in the system for settlements and checked them out just in case anyway

You'd think, but alas, that's not what we see happen in the movie.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Obviously, after that, he made it big selling other bounty hunters on Fett Brand Ezy-Freeze Carbonite Chambers - As Used by Jabba the Hutt!

It's not actually as efficient or convenient as he implied, but now every Mandalorian's crammed one in the back of their ship, so they might as well use it.

See the real money is in the carbonite sales - once you get them to buy into adding the chamber you have a repeat customer for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I thought that the context of ESB was that carbonite freezing was a known practice, it just usually wasn’t done on people in shithole industrial sites like Bespin’s basement. The concerns seem more about the facility than the action itself. Presumably non-industrial designed-for-humans equipment would be smaller, even in the time of ESB.