Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Aramoro posted:

I am considering buying a Rice Cooker and looking for something compact as I'm not going to be using it everyday. Seen good reviews for the Yum-Asia Panda rice cooker, anyone got any experience with them at all?

Kind of pricey for a rice cooker you're only going to be using on occasion. What kind of rice will you be cooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

IKEA has a pretty good return policy so I think you could just return it if it sucks rear end.

I guess you're in Australia judging from the link you posted so make sure that's also the case there.

Aramoro posted:

I am considering buying a Rice Cooker and looking for something compact as I'm not going to be using it everyday. Seen good reviews for the Yum-Asia Panda rice cooker, anyone got any experience with them at all?

My view with rice cookers is that you should just get a pressure cooker like an instant pot because it does rice at least as good as a rice cooker and a shitload of other things.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 19, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

IKEA has a pretty good return policy so I think you could just return it if it sucks rear end.

I guess you're in Australia judging from the link you posted so make sure that's also the case there.

My view with rice cookers is that you should just get a pressure cooker like an instant pot because it does rice at least as good as a rice cooker and a shitload of other things.

The issue is you'll want rice with a lot of the food you cook in an instant pot.

OP get a Zojirushi. I have one of the smaller max-3-cups ones and it's really fantastic.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

The issue is you'll want rice with a lot of the food you cook in an instant pot.

OP get a Zojirushi. I have one of the smaller max-3-cups ones and it's really fantastic.

You can cook both the same time. You need to get a trivet
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9G75SD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_HDFzFb1MG63YJ

And some stackable pots to put on top of it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079G7GS13/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_NCFzFb1DE9QCE

Then you put whatever will take the longest to cook in bottom pot which is on top of the trivet and then stack the other pots on top of the bottom one. You'll need to put water in the pot which has the rice in it separately.

You use the trivet to pull the whole stack of pots out of the instant pot.

You may need to put water in individual pots in addition to the main instant pots container. Things like rice will probably need the appropriate amount of water in their individual pots.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 19, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I already have a stovetop pressure cooker so not looking too replace that anytime soon.

I've actually already gone and got the rice cooker and it's pretty good I think. It's very small which is ideal as I can put it in a cupboard. I'm usually making rice at least once a week but then I also make porridge almost everyday so might try that as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Aramoro posted:

I already have a stovetop pressure cooker so not looking too replace that anytime soon.

I've actually already gone and got the rice cooker and it's pretty good I think. It's very small which is ideal as I can put it in a cupboard. I'm usually making rice at least once a week but then I also make porridge almost everyday so might try that as well.

I can definitely vouch for oatmeal/porridge being made in a rice cooker or pressure cooker. I recently started doing that for my breakfast and it is easily two times better than cooking some instant oatmeal in the microwave.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can cook both the same time. You need to get a trivet
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9G75SD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_HDFzFb1MG63YJ

And some stackable pots to put on top of it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079G7GS13/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_NCFzFb1DE9QCE

Then you put whatever will take the longest to cook in bottom pot which is on top of the trivet and then stack the other pots on top of the bottom one. You'll need to put water in the pot which has the rice in it separately.

You use the trivet to pull the whole stack of pots out of the instant pot.

You may need to put water in individual pots in addition to the main instant pots container. Things like rice will probably need the appropriate amount of water in their individual pots.

Thanks for this. It's interesting and I could see some dishes I would use it for but right now I'm mostly doing massive stews in the instant pot to meal prep and there wouldn't be any room for it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Instant pot rice is meh unless you're able to get the exact water/rice ratio correct and prepare it properly. My Zojirushi gets it consistently right with less work. That being said, I wouldn't get a dedicated rice cooker unless you love eating rice at least several times a week.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can definitely vouch for oatmeal/porridge being made in a rice cooker or pressure cooker. I recently started doing that for my breakfast and it is easily two times better than cooking some instant oatmeal in the microwave.

Generally I we do pinhead oatmeal soaked overnight, makes great porridge in the morning so just interested to try it out soaking overnight and using the timer to make it come on in the morning.

Just steamed some dumplings in it, was great.

I swear by my Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker but it's not great for small amounts like if I wanted 1/2 - 1 cup of rice for dinner.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for this. It's interesting and I could see some dishes I would use it for but right now I'm mostly doing massive stews in the instant pot to meal prep and there wouldn't be any room for it.

One of the nice things about the pot setup I described is that you can cook a smaller portions of rice appropriate for one person for one meal with it.

Since the pressure cooker needs at least one cup of water in the primary container normally that would mean you have to make at least one cup of rice as well. But since you have a separate pot for the rice inside of the main container you can put one cup of water in the main container and then put a half a cup or a quarter cup of water in the smaller pots and make whatever amount of rice you want to make.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

One of the nice things about the pot setup I described is that you can cook a smaller portions of rice appropriate for one person for one meal with it.

Since the pressure cooker needs at least one cup of water in the primary container normally that would mean you have to make at least one cup of rice as well. But since you have a separate pot for the rice inside of the main container you can put one cup of water in the main container and then put a half a cup or a quarter cup of water in the smaller pots and make whatever amount of rice you want to make.

This would actually be fantastic for curries. Can you often reuse the trivets on steamers? Looks like some of them have a pass-through function for the steam and would like to start doing steamed dumplings.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

This would actually be fantastic for curries. Can you often reuse the trivets on steamers? Looks like some of them have a pass-through function for the steam and would like to start doing steamed dumplings.

I don't see why you wouldn't. It's really just a cage so that you can lift the stacked pots out, and so that the water at the bottom of the pressure cooker isn't pushed out of the way by the stacked pots. It doesn't generally have any real effect on how things cook inside of the pot. The steam should circulate just fine throughout the rest of the pot while it's cooking assuming you don't get stackable pots that obstruct the flow.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the best general use spatula for cast iron? America's Test Kitchen seemed to recommend a stainless steel fish spatula, but I've also heard the study stainless steel ones were the way to go.

I use my cast iron skillet to cook a lot of breakfast items like hash browns and eggs and bacon with an occasional steak or burger thrown into the mix.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Fish spatula for the majority of stuff.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the best general use spatula for cast iron? America's Test Kitchen seemed to recommend a stainless steel fish spatula, but I've also heard the study stainless steel ones were the way to go.

I use my cast iron skillet to cook a lot of breakfast items like hash browns and eggs and bacon with an occasional steak or burger thrown into the mix.

The fish spatula is best for general purpose, but that's partly because it being so narrow makes it easy to move things around with precision, so it replaces what you might also use a chopstick or fork for.

For flipping, a fish spatula has a narrow (npi) use case. So you also want a wide enough spatula to handle pancakes and smash burgers.

In short, you want a narrow fish spatula for moving things around, and a wide pancake spatula for flipping things.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

field balm posted:

Has anyone in here used or owned the Ikea Tillreda portable induction top? We rent an apartment with an absolutely terrible electric cooktop, so I'm thinking about just buying 2 induction tops or a double top to use instead. These are 60 bucks in Australia so seem like a good cheap option that's actually a name brand. I don't mind spending a little more if anyone can recommend any other plug in induction tops though. Thanks all!

I can't speak to this specific induction burner, but my general experience with cheaper induction burners (a kitchen I worked in tried out quite a few) is that there is always something off about them. Their controls are stupid, or they don't offer any fine control, or they have a limited upper or lower temp, or they're loud, or they break. No matter what it was, they were just always lacking in some frustrating way.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bioshuffle posted:

For flipping things get the thinnest metal spatula you can buy at the dollar store or big lots or whatever. I have consistently found that the cheapest, shittiest metal spatulas always seem to do a better job of flipping things without loving them up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Keep in mind a metal spatula will totally trash up a non-stick surface. So only use that on stainless steel, cast iron, or carbon steel.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

field balm posted:

Has anyone in here used or owned the Ikea Tillreda portable induction top? We rent an apartment with an absolutely terrible electric cooktop, so I'm thinking about just buying 2 induction tops or a double top to use instead. These are 60 bucks in Australia so seem like a good cheap option that's actually a name brand. I don't mind spending a little more if anyone can recommend any other plug in induction tops though. Thanks all!

I've had one for a bit, and it works alright. My main issue with it is that the lower settings are a strobe rather than a constant low power. It'll get as hot as you need though, that's for sure.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My oven apparently sucks and I have to bring it to 375~400 in order to hit a 300 internal temperature. What's the recommended oven thermometer for making drat sure that it's at the right temperature?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KDEIZ0

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

My oven apparently sucks and I have to bring it to 375~400 in order to hit a 300 internal temperature. What's the recommended oven thermometer for making drat sure that it's at the right temperature?

If you own the oven, then you might want to do some troubleshooting. It sounds like the temperature sensor is failing.

electric -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dGi5XPosPU

gas -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJOLFW2aw0

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Many ovens also have hidden calibration menus that you can probably find through some google-fu.

They will let you adjust the reading to match the measured temp.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just wanted to pop back in and thank everyone who gave me pointers on seasoning my steel pan. I stripped the thing back to bare metal, went through the motions with a few passes of very light oil coating + baking it and then have just been going to town cooking in the thing. I can't quite pull off frying eggs in it again yet but it's definitely improving, and the coating hasn't started flaking off in chunks like last time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I watched a video of a professional chef seasoning a steel pan by heating it on the stove, wipe with oil, heat, wipe, heat, wipe, etc. No baking, each coat went pretty fast. He recommended 30 coats.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What are the absolute best squeeze bottles for condiments I can order online? This is for hot sauces so they need a wide tip and ideally be dishwasher safe.

I'm gone through a lot of different kinds off Amazon and the ones I got all seem very flimsy.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

What are the absolute best squeeze bottles for condiments I can order online? This is for hot sauces so they need a wide tip and ideally be dishwasher safe.

I'm gone through a lot of different kinds off Amazon and the ones I got all seem very flimsy.

I've got a dozen OXO ones that I love but they're like 5-7 dollars each, so way more expensive than the usual ones you might get. They're really sturdy and work well one-handed so I put all my oils, vinegars, etc in them. I have scotch bonnet puree in one of them and I sometimes need to shake it to get the seeds through, though.

Also while you're at it, buy a spray bottle for water.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 24, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

xtal posted:

I've got a dozen OXO ones that I love but they're like 5-7 dollars each, so way more expensive than the usual ones you might get. They're really sturdy and work well one-handed so I put all my oils, vinegars, etc in them. I have scotch bonnet puree in one of them and I sometimes need to shake it to get the seeds through, though.

Also while you're at it, buy a spray bottle for water.

I love those oxo bottles - they're almost what I am looking for, but their tip is exactly the right size for pepper seeds to get stuck in and block the whole thing up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Just cut the tip to widen it then?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fart Car '97 posted:

They're the kind with an all-in-one tip and cap so it's not really adjustable.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Car '97 posted:

Then the cap wouldn't fit on it :(

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I do this with the lovely ones that are like $4 for a 6 pack. They're not great and only get a couple of uses, but for anything chunky like that I tend to go through it pretty fast anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Manager Hoyden posted:

I love those oxo bottles - they're almost what I am looking for, but their tip is exactly the right size for pepper seeds to get stuck in and block the whole thing up.

Blend more aggressively?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Looking for a solid coffee machine with a timer. My partner and I drink coffee first thing in the morning and it would be nice to wake up to coffee instead of having to make it ourselves. We'd prefer if it had a reusable filter and was less than $100, and could make coffee for 4-6 people if necessary.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Looking for a solid coffee machine with a timer. My partner and I drink coffee first thing in the morning and it would be nice to wake up to coffee instead of having to make it ourselves. We'd prefer if it had a reusable filter and was less than $100, and could make coffee for 4-6 people if necessary.

I use this one, couldn't be happier with it. You can use the built-in grinder or you can just add grounds yourself (the grinder can be a little loud, not as loud as a vitamix or blendtec but loud). I'm sure you can set it to start at whatever time. I use mine almost every single day and haven't had any issues.

e: I should add it has a reusable filter but I use paper filters because I find the reusable filter lets tiny particles through that I notice when I drink the last cup of the pot. Not an issue with paper filters.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 25, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I use this one, couldn't be happier with it. You can use the built-in grinder or you can just add grounds yourself (the grinder can be a little loud, not as loud as a vitamix or blendtec but loud). I'm sure you can set it to start at whatever time. I use mine almost every single day and haven't had any issues.

Was going to say, get one with a built in grinder. If you have grinds just sitting in the basket overnight its going to be so, so stale.

e; I thought this was the coffee thread not the gear thread, "stale" coffee is subjective and you might not care about grounds sitting for a few hours to avoid having to spend a ton more money.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 25, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

I'd start with trying to find something on this list that you like:

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

It's at least some kind of standard to meet which is better than the absolute randomness that is just picking something off the shelf or basing a purchase on random internet person recommendation.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I drink a lot of coffee and have this one. I usually grind the beans just before bed the night before and it's absolutely great.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Murgos posted:

I'd start with trying to find something on this list that you like:

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

It's at least some kind of standard to meet which is better than the absolute randomness that is just picking something off the shelf or basing a purchase on random internet person recommendation.

I've got the OXO On 9 cup from that list and it's very simple and good, assuming you have a separate grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Okay let's talk the oxo coffee maker for a second, because I have it and my wife and both haatttee it. It makes fine coffee, even very good coffee, but living with it is a chore. The fucker drips everywhere, the carafe drips everywhere, grinds get in the water tank. It feels like it punishes you for the pleasure of drinking coffee. We bought a moccamaster for my mother-in-law that I like much better.