Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
And then there is the wall built in Oxford to keep the poors from the decent people.

I'm sure the Morris factory had something to do with that. I maybe remembering this wrong and would love to be told so.

1991- the best year for music in human history. Seminal albums from NWA, Nirvana, Hole, REM, KLF, Primal Scream, Massive Attack, St. Ettienne, Prince, Teenage Fanclub and others.

And the Pixies, cannot believe I forgot the Pixies.

I am willing to accede my belief to 1991 being the year for popular music. I am a child of my time and in 1991 I was 18. Nostalgia casts a rosy glow and I'm sure young whipper snapper lazy millennial who has never been in a decent riot in their life might disagree.

Dogatron fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Dogatron posted:

I maybe remembering this wrong and would love to be told so.

You're wrong. Just like really wrong. so wrong.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You're wrong. Just like really wrong. so wrong.

Explain then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that was just an attempt to fulfil your professed emotional need to be told you are wrong.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I think that was just an attempt to fulfil your professed emotional need to be told you are wrong.

Am I so unused to my emotional needs being fulfilled?

I may need help. Help me.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/18/escaped-uk-prisoner-tried-to-hand-himself-in-seven-times-court-hears

quote:

Akram Uddin admitted to absconding from an open prison to see his mother on 17 June. His lawyers told his sentencing hearing on Friday that seven times he asked police to arrest him for it and seven times they refused.

“This case, more than any other I have heard or have been involved with in my last two decades of practice, perhaps illustrates the extent of the managed decay of the criminal justice system,” Uddin’s lawyer, Liam Walker of Doughty Street chambers, told Maidstone crown court on Friday.

He detailed several attempts he said Uddin and his solicitor made to have him voluntarily taken back into custody at a south-east London police station. According to his solicitor, Kamal Channa of Brooklyn Law, he first walked into Lewisham police station on 13 July but was turned away.

During several attempts recorded by Channa, Walker told the court Uddin and Channa were variously told that there was and was not a warrant out for his arrest. Uddin’s final attempt was on 13 August, Walker told the court, adding that his client was told to go back to the police station six days later. One day before that, however, he was eventually arrested.

“It is utterly astonishing that, when Mr Uddin asked to be taken back into custody, he was refused. There is little more that an escaped prisoner can do than instruct his solicitor that he is going to a particular police station, attend that police station with a bag, say he has escaped from prison, give his full details and ask to be arrested and taken back,” Walker told the court.

“To badly paraphrase Oscar Wilde: to pass up the opportunity to arrest an escaped prisoner once may be regarded as misfortune, to pass up that opportunity seven times is an utter shambles.”

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vitamin P posted:

Frostpunk is annoying, it looks like a really engaging game but my laptop just refuses to run it and begrudgingly using child labour or whatever seems like it won't really hit unless if it's you making the decision, watching a stream wouldn't work even though the narrative and aesthetics do seem awesome.
It has ridiculous graphics demands at full settings because of all the ice and snow and Nvidia® CUDA® effects, but most of them can be turned off.

Dogatron posted:

Yes, but what did Nuffield think about pubic hair?
Dangerously Italian, far too much of it in the upholstery of most modern Minis.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
RBG's death just increased no deal Brexit and chlorinated chicken by about a bajillion percent.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

happyhippy posted:

RBG's death just increased no deal Brexit and chlorinated chicken by about a bajillion percent.

Can the world just fall apart a little bit slower please

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

happyhippy posted:

It had no impact on those things at all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Like you can lament her death for a bunch of reasons if you choose but lol absolutely not that

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Oh no, the United States Supreme Court, our only hope

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the liberal faction in the USA understands instinctively that RBG represents an utter and complete strategic failure - the kind of utter boneheaded move that undermines their argument that they're a "steady hand" at the till, rather than a pack and parcel of utter morons.

as they can't answer the question "why didn't rbg retire" with the correct answer (because the knew we'd win 2016 and as such weren't worried) as it demonstrates they're idiots, but they also want to communicate clearly that they have no intention of using "extra-constitutional" powers to address the supreme court. as such RBG dying is now must become the moment at which everything went to poo poo - not when they picked hilary, not when they picked biden, not the hilary or biden campaigns, but now. that one tiny and at times vile human being ceasing to breathe was the real turning point and that we totally could have managed it if only she'd clung on longer.

they want to martyr her. it's very, very sad.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Jose posted:

It had no impact on those things at all

i think he means in a "clearly this is the year where the worst possible thing happens" way

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CoolCab posted:

they want to martyr her. it's very, very sad.
Reddit has gotten very weird since they started cleansing the hate subs (and the dirtbag left subs because they can't tell the difference between shitposting about violence and actual facist hate groups organising on their platform). The front page is full of threads trying to canonise her as a saint and wailing and rubbing ash through their hair. It all gives off a very weird ARE PRINCESS vibe.

I mean it very much affects us in the abstract sense of the phrase America sneezes and Britain catches a cold.

You make a really good point, which is that they are all bitching and moaning about wanting to go back to a time when they didn't have to pay attention to politics, when it's not paying attention that got everyone into this loving mess in the first place.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving boomers

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1307234242078937090?s=19

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Someone on Twitter pointed out that there will now be dozens of drawings of RBG at the pearly gates, meeting other dead celebrities (especially the Notorious BIG) - because that's what famous people do in heaven I guess - even though Jewish people don't believe in anything like pearly gates (or meeting dead celebrities).

But never mind that because we want to do an Our Princess of Justice and we're going to do it Christianitily dagnabbit!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/sarahvanpelt/status/1307218036588503043?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobstar posted:

Someone on Twitter pointed out that there will now be dozens of drawings of RBG at the pearly gates, meeting other dead celebrities (especially the Notorious BIG) - because that's what famous people do in heaven I guess - even though Jewish people don't believe in anything like pearly gates (or meeting dead celebrities).

But never mind that because we want to do an Our Princess of Justice and we're going to do it Christianitily dagnabbit!

The best was the person who emotionally tweeted she was hoping she would be meeting up with her good friend Antonin Scalia in heaven & just lol gently caress off libs. RBG sucked poo poo for not retiring when there was a Democrat who could replace her even after her 53rd heart attack or whatever. Also just no where near as left wing as her stans liked to make out. Crap centre-right lib.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Good, I hope covid also leaves him feeling like poo poo for the rest of his life

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

The best was the person who emotionally tweeted she was hoping she would be meeting up with her good friend Antonin Scalia in heaven & just lol gently caress off libs. RBG sucked poo poo for not retiring when there was a Democrat who could replace her even after her 53rd heart attack or whatever. Also just no where near as left wing as her stans liked to make out. Crap centre-right lib.

She criticised Colin kaepernick for protesting lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol raabs protection has been suspended for leaving his gun on a plane

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Poor daddy Boris Churchill very sad we must do clap-claps clap-clap time for to cheer up daddy Britain Boris Churchill :holy:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Labours new slogan is: A New Leadership

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Hey remember this?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hey remember this?

Well I can confirm it has been an absolute shambles so far, but I'm finally in the study!

The voucher came through, just one week later!

quote:

Thank you for taking part in the COVID-19 Infection Survey (CIS), xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We're analysing your data, which will help the Government manage the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK over the next year.

To thank you for taking part, we are giving you £50 of eVouchers to be redeemed against retailers of your choice.

Please note, that the vouchers are retrospectively issued and do not relate to appointment weeks. You should expect to receive the vouchers within 20 days of the appointment taking place. If a member of your household does not appear below, they may be receiving a separate email.

The email gives a code you redeem at vouchershopexchange.co.uk, where you can pick a retailer, and you then get a voucher specifically for that retailer (or you can split the amount between different retailers and get multiple vouchers)

There's quite a selection:

(No fudgit though)

The curry's vouchers expire after 2 years so I'm gonna wait a bit until more vouchers come through (there's one for each visit) then put them all towards replacing my ailing tablet computer

Thanks covid!

Thovid!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jose posted:

Subtle!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

I read part of the BBC article about it and it made me want to stick my head in front of a passing train tbh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54203162

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

I read part of the BBC article about it and it made me want to stick my head in front of a passing train tbh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54203162

lol me too

quote:

The bad news for Starmer is that while he has made a relatively positive impression since becoming Labour leader in March, the party has been lagging behind the Conservatives in most polls.

As one Labour insider put it: "The brand has been trashed."

who was it that guessed they'd be constantly using "THE PREVIOUS LABOUR LEADERSHIP" as an excuse

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Wow I wonder why the brand is trashed after MPs spent multiple years trashing it

Whatever happened to the ehrc report that was supposed to come out ages ago has it turned out to basically just be the labour report so they've killed it lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Conservatives, running the Labour party: why are our poll figures so low... wait, there's already a conservative party?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the same list as Tesco vouchers, I'm 90% sure.

I definitely remember buying Ask and Nando's vouchers from a friend who obsessively racked up Tesco points, and you get like 3x as much pizza chickens as the cash value you pay for.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Imagine anyone who isn't this loving posh being praised for supporting "4 out of 6 children"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
How long will it take for all of humanity to probably be in some way descended from boris johnson. Assuming six kids and the continued existence of mankind, admittedly both questionable assumptions

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dschingis Wank

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Imagine anyone who isn't this loving posh being praised for supporting "4 out of 6 children"

Excuse me he has to use his salary to pay for his own food. The benefit-in-kind rules mean he is paying as much as 40% of his own accommodation costs.

These are wild expenses that normal people would never have to pay.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

aah ha ha ha its literally the 'doesn't she look tired' bit from doctor who except they think it's going to work on that shameless prick

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

A New Labour poo poo

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

aah ha ha ha its literally the 'doesn't she look tired' bit from doctor who except they think it's going to work on that shameless prick

I could never understand why the "don't you think she looks tired" bit would work on anyone, really

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lol dumb rich baby wrecked the country and now he's sad. :,(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dogatron posted:

Yes, but what did Nuffield think about pubic hair?
Going back to this, I think there's a far more logical reason why Ruskin never consummated his marriage than that he was a Victorian prude who was terrified of the pubes.

The same reason why Schopenhauer, a man who spent his youth going on long walks with other young men in the woods and died alone with his French poodle, wrote long screeds about why women and Jewish laws were terrible.

Victorian homophobia probably created fascism through the medium of a bunch of self hating young men and that's just sad to think about, but then again the reaction to fascism created the modern gay rights movement.