Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SoggyBobcat posted:

The xvarts have been raiding nearby farms and ranches. They ain't innocent.

Where does that come from? 20+ years of playing and I don’t remember that anywhere; I love details like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

docbeard posted:

SCS buffs them a bit I think, adds some spellcasters and such, but that just makes it an actual speedbump rather than just a line painted on the pavement.

Nothing actually makes you fight them, of course.

The best part about that fight in SCS is the improved AI means they all come running together. It always turns into sheer loving carnage right at the mouth of the bottleneck leading into the camp. So many little blue bodies... Innocent or no, it 's pretty gruesome.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Where does that come from? 20+ years of playing and I don’t remember that anywhere; I love details like that!

I think the farmer that asks you to save his cow (Arabella?) from a bunch of Xvarts mentions something about increasing raids and you get a journal entry. The last part might be something from the EEs, though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I wrote that post over a year ago lol

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Has anyone ever made a "tougher xvart village" component where the xvarts put up a crazy tough fight? That would be awesome, I always feel bad wiping that place out.

Xvart Genocide is one of my favorite encounters in BG1, it's the best place to throw around AoE spells and get drunk on power.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nah the xvart quest was in the base game, it's just real easy to miss and has no reward beyond xvart murder. Like was said above, it's not in the same area, it's over with the farmer that has a cow getting attacked by xvarts like three screens away or something.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

rojay posted:

How long?

Not sure, but it was pretty quick. I beat the red dragon the old fashioned way so I thought I'd mess around.

This is my first bg2 playthrough (just finished 1 right before) and holy poo poo I love this loving game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whenever I attempt one of those mega mod installs like BGT or EET I always get really annoyed by xp difference from scrolls etc... in BG1 and BG2 and there not really being a good way to solve it and changing mod options when I beat BG1 and transition to BG2 doesn't really seem possible. I finally had my galaxy brain idea about it: just install the game twice with the same exact mods, just one with BG1 xp values and one with BG2 xp values. I now have 5 copies of BG2 in some form on my hard drive but oh well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The I seriously don't understand the need for BG1 and BG2 to be in then same worldspace

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I personally don't care about them being in the same world space but I don't like Tutu and how it deals with spawns so my options are limited. First time I tried playing Tutu I made it to the map where you meet Elminister and suddenly had 50 gibberlings chasing after me with more constantly spawning. Apparently the difficulty slider is used to set the amount of spawns and for the sin of wanting to play on core rules it was like a horde mode in a modern fps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheesetriangles posted:

I personally don't care about them being in the same world space but I don't like Tutu and how it deals with spawns so my options are limited. First time I tried playing Tutu I made it to the map where you meet Elminister and suddenly had 50 gibberlings chasing after me with more constantly spawning. Apparently the difficulty slider is used to set the amount of spawns and for the sin of wanting to play on core rules it was like a horde mode in a modern fps.

Are you using EE or the old school. There's zero difference between the engines in EE and no need for Tutu.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I play both because I prefer some aspects of the original over the EE's.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Like what?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sometimes you just want to abuse bugs patched out of the EE's like having 4 project images at once and also the background art in the originals looks better it is slightly blurrier in the EE's.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Suspicious posted:

I wrote that post over a year ago lol

Yeah, I was reading the thread from the beginning. Caught up now. I'm playing a game right now as a good character, and I'm trying to avoid some things that you don't get penalized for, but dont actually seem very good. It is true that the xvarts are killing that poor dude's cows, and they attack you on sight. But still, I dont feel too good killing them. Another one is killing Shandalar's daughters in Baldurs Gate - I used to kill them but now I just send someone in Sanctuary in and leave them be.

There's also that mage in the Underdark, if you kill him he drops a scroll of Time Stop but I think I'm going to refrain. He's nice enough. Of course resurrection does exist in this setting.

Here's another of your posts:

Suspicious posted:

There are a lot of potions of master thievery in Athkatla and they stack. You can rob the city blind before they expire and you can do it as soon as you're out of chateau Irenicus with Yoshimo.

What house rules do people use for stealing? As I see it you have some options:

* Stack potions, steal everything, use fences to resteal items - you can have top level gear, potions, scrolls, ammo and infinite gold from your first day in Athkatla.

* Stack potions and steal everything but dont use the fence to re-sell - you have all the gear but not infinite coin, just what you get from selling stuff you steal but don't need.

* I guess you could steal but not stack potions, then you are limited by having to have a really good pickpocket- an interesting option, you could probably steal the stuff from the drow but not just everything in Athkatla and Trademeet right away.

* Only steal stuff you will actually use - still can get a lot of good stuff early and good items from the drow and in saradush and amkethran.

I'm trying a BG2 game where the only thing I steal is Ribalds ring. It definitely makes the early game harder because I don't have the cash to buy top items and even scrolls are pretty pricey. I'm having to do missions and then maybe buy one item - like in Trademeet I usually rip off those vendors after they open so I steal the belt of Inertial Barrier, but I chose instead to get the Blackblood club for Jaheira and I will have to come back to get the belt later.

It is BS though that the Rakshasa in the druid Grove will sell you potions but then if you kill them they don't have the cash on them...where did it go?

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 20, 2020

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I pretty much only steal Ribald's ring

I wish BG2 had more NPCs with valuable items that you could kill with fewer consequences, like Algernon or Bentley in BG1.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
In case anyone's wondering where I find the potions of master thievery in early BG2:

There's 1 in the opening dungeon. There's 1 behind the black market fence in the Shadow Thieves building in the Docks district. You can take everything in the containers here, the thieves won't care. While you're here, accept Renal Bloodscalp's quest to spy on Mae'Var. That will give you access to the latter's building. On the second floor of said building, there's a bunch of test doors and safes that require progressively higher Open Locks scores to successfully pick (the hardest ones are also trapped, be careful.) Yoshimo's Open Locks score isn't the greatest so you'll have to drink the 2 potions you got to pick them all. In one of the harder ones, you'll find 3 more potions of master thievery. Enjoy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Can't you buy them from Maevar's fence?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Most likely. Roger in the Temple district sewers probably sells some too. Was just pointing out some free easy ones.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doesn’t pickpocketing require save scumming? I never do it

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's your pickpocket chance minus their chance of catching you. If you're at like 200% it's pretty much guaranteed to work with the usual D&D chance of critical failure.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gah. I can't win the woodcutter fight outside Sendai's enclave. The one where about 8 drow come out of nowhere and gently caress you up. They're all positioned far apart which reduces the effectiveness of a lot of spells.

Also I'm not sure if I care. ToB hasn't really got my interest and I think I hate high-level DnD combat.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

H13 posted:

Gah. I can't win the woodcutter fight outside Sendai's enclave. The one where about 8 drow come out of nowhere and gently caress you up. They're all positioned far apart which reduces the effectiveness of a lot of spells.

Also I'm not sure if I care. ToB hasn't really got my interest and I think I hate high-level DnD combat.

That's why traps are good

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

That's why traps are good

My Imoen has two standard traps.

...I mean that'll help with 2 of them, but the other 6 are still gonna gently caress me up. There's one Drow warrior in particular with some sort of polearm (think it's a spear?) who just hacks through everything.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Glyphs of warding?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Dragon's breath ignores magic resistance and is party friendly. Enjoy.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Doesn’t pickpocketing require save scumming? I never do it

Yeah, early Baldurs Gate 1 trained me to never bother pickpocketing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Shadows of Amn released 20 years ago today. :toot:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

Shadows of Amn released 20 years ago today. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z3aY0uELTQ

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, early Baldurs Gate 1 trained me to never bother pickpocketing.

There’s a ring of free action you can pickpocket right off the bat if you pop into Ulgoth’s Beard, it’s a huge help for most of bg1. Pickpocketing has sparse but extremely real rewards.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

No doubt, its just reliant on walkthroughs or a ton of trial and error.

At some point I'll do an only rogues playthrough of BG1 though, maybe then I can have 1 npc just focus on pickpocketing and not have to worry about getting caught (in mid-to-late game, once they have dumped all their points in pickpocket.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

LeafyOrb posted:

There’s a ring of free action you can pickpocket right off the bat if you pop into Ulgoth’s Beard, it’s a huge help for most of bg1. Pickpocketing has sparse but extremely real rewards.

I’m a huge fan of Hasting my characters so I never use these rings. Unless that’s been fixed or something.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Free Action is great to use in certain situations, not all the time. See ghasts coming? Or enemy clerics cast Hold Person, web traps, slow cast by golem or jellies, stuff like that. I keep the ring or the Spider's Bane handy to help in those fights.

Suspicious posted:

Khalid has some great physical stats. I keep him.

I see a lot of people in the thread that dislike Khalid but I use him a lot too. He's set up well to develop over the course of BG1 - a decent longbow guy and 2nd line fighter who then becomes front line when you get to the city and get gauntlets of ogre strength. He's a good choice to use bastard swords, you need a bastard sword guy if you go to werewolf Island and its nice to have someone using Kondalar just because of all the doppelgangers you fight. He always seems to end up with a lot of HP.

The morale break is no problem because he mostly uses bows early, and then you can even give him Kiel's helmet when you get to Durlag's. Enemy mages constantly cast Horror so you cast Remove Fear on the party before major fights anyway.

I use Jaheira as my tank character in the early game a lot, give the gauntlets of dexterity, the ankheg plate and a shield and she has a great AC. She can use a club so you don't have weapon breakage.

In BG2 if you want Jaheira to be an effective fighter you have to go to Trademeet early. Its the druid stronghold so it has druid equipment, that way she gets some good scimitars or clubs.

Both Jaheira and Khalid lack high strength, but strength is the easiest stat to raise with potions, spells or equipment.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 22, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I really need to do a club of detonation gimmick run through at some point.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

In the BG EE's is there a way to turn off a single party member's AI without going into the customize menu? Just temporarily.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Feels good to finally have all these complete in box.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cheesetriangles posted:

Congratulations dude! I miss the smell of video game boxes. Manuals, flaps, discs.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

chaosapiant posted:

Congratulations dude! I miss the smell of video game boxes. Manuals, flaps, discs.

I miss 'feelies' most of all, I still have Morrowind's map lying around somewhere.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

cheesetriangles posted:

Sick.

How many discs is that? I used to have the 5 disc BG, 4 disc SoA and both expansions for a cool 11-disc total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Also 11, 12 if you count the bonus CD. Although the ToSC box just had an extra copy of all the BG1 discs in their original holder for some reason.