Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, on OS 7, my 5 hits 60% battery by 1pm now instead of 4p :sigh:

I like how it shows battery health now. 92% after 10ish months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

flipoff posted:

If you had the solo loop and a sport band, which do you think you’d use more often? I already have a sport band from my s3 and I’m getting a Milanese loop with my s6, on the fence about getting a solo loop.

I'd have to evaluate it for a few days, but I do like the material for it. Feels softer than the sport band.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So far with OS7, my S4 loses about 10% every 6 hours and can handle recording a 45 minute workout and track my sleep overnight and is still 'green' when I put it on the charger while I shower.

Your S5 is cursed and I'm surprised you haven't put a bullet through it yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'd have to evaluate it for a few days, but I do like the material for it. Feels softer than the sport band.

My wrist starts sweating just looking at it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

xzzy posted:

So far with OS7, my S4 loses about 10% every 6 hours and can handle recording a 45 minute workout and track my sleep overnight and is still 'green' when I put it on the charger while I shower.

Your S5 is cursed and I'm surprised you haven't put a bullet through it yet.

I'm still on OS6 on a release day S5 and I definitely get 24+ hours on it still.

I mean, I don't deny that what's happening to Henrik but there's got to be some sort of curse localized to his wrist or something since I think he's had it replaced multiple times.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

You’re not alone, my S4 is doing the same. Luckily I don’t care yet since my 6 is on a truck to be delivered. I’d unpair the watch, then re-pair and restore a backup.

I like the battery health option, my launch day 4 still has 99% capacity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nvm. rant post not needed here.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 18, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My 5 is having bad battery today (35% at 5 pm) on the new watchOS but oddly also had bad battery yesterday before I updated my watch and only updated my phone. So maybe something on the phone side causing problems?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m noticing that the hand washing timer doesn’t always show up right away but appears with about 5 seconds left or even after I’m done and turn on the faucet to rinse off my hands. Either way the hand washing timer seems to match my own 20s counting so that’s that’s neat.

e: For what it's worth re: battery talk, my S4 is at 84% health, I took it off the charger at 6am and went out for a 30 minute walk (recorded via Workout app). It is now almost 7pm and my battery is at 59%. I have background app refresh enabled, hand washing detection, low/high heart rate monitoring, fall detection, and have been using it to unlock my MacBook all day long. Battery seems fine for me.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 18, 2020

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible
I saw a tip that turning off heart rate danger zone notifications would reduce battery drain. It might provide a too inquisitive monitoring for regular old good hearted people. I updated around two hours ago and have lost 6% battery on my series 4 after almost immediately turning those notifications off. Been messing around with other settings and watch faces too so either yalls battery busted or heart rate monitoring costs a lot.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wouldn’t turn that off, even if you’re healthy. It’s arguably the most important feature to have with the watch. You want those notifications.

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible
im never gonna die

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You can't kill what's already dead, baby. At least on the inside.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Are there any rumors about more hygiene help reminder for next watchOS? Seems like it'd be fairly easy for your watch to detect you sat on the toilet for 5+ minutes, and then count the wrist accelerations to keep count and prompt you to do a solid 5 or 6 butthole wipes

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sourdough posted:

Are there any rumors about more hygiene help reminder for next watchOS? Seems like it'd be fairly easy for your watch to detect you sat on the toilet for 5+ minutes, and then count the wrist accelerations to keep count and prompt you to do a solid 5 or 6 butthole wipes

What the hell. Do you eat nothing but pudding?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

What the hell. Do you eat nothing but pudding?

Good american diet of meat and fat. But sometimes I lose track of my wipe sequence and could use a nice automatic reminder.

e: actualyl maybe a place to input your diet would be helpful...not sure if you're suggesting my butt is too dirty or too clean, and having my watch take the guesswork out of it would be nice

sourdough fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 19, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sourdough posted:

Get a bidet

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Get a bidet

Is that sort of like a kleenex vs handkerchief situation?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sourdough posted:

Is that sort of like a kleenex vs handkerchief situation?

It's a thing you attach to your toilet that shoots water at your rear end in a top hat to clean it better than any paper ever could. You just need a single wipe to dry/polish.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Finally the reason to buy a watch appears, it helps remember how many times to properly wipe an rear end. If you
wipe more than three times, the watch congratulations you on coming out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob A Feet posted:

Go get a peloton instead

that’s not really helpful, not that you were trying to be; the app on its own is good enough though, which is kind of my point.

sourdough posted:

Good american diet of meat and fat. But sometimes I lose track of my wipe sequence and could use a nice automatic reminder.

e: actualyl maybe a place to input your diet would be helpful...not sure if you're suggesting my butt is too dirty or too clean, and having my watch take the guesswork out of it would be nice

Finally the reason to buy a watch appears, it helps remember how many times to properly wipe an rear end. If you
wipe more than three times, the watch congratulations you on coming out.

Pooptrollers aside it’s astonishing how many people just accept terrible bathroom times and flat out refuse to change their eating habits.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
New watch owner and curious if there a way to sync individual podcasts to a watch with the default app? I can't figure out a way, and it seems like you have to let the Phone and Watch intelligently sync everything, or sync what is in "Up Next". And it only works while charging. I want to be able to scroll to a podcast on my phone and shove it to my watch to listen to while running / without my phone. It looks like Overcast can do this but ideally I can do it in Podcast.app.

Also why is it so slow to sync music to the device? Does it go from your phone's connection via Bluetooth? Because if you turn off bluetooth it seems like the watch downloads over wifi from the cloud directly, and is much faster. Why is it so slow, if things like Airdrop are so insanely fast?

What else should I use this thing for? Not sure if it's worth the $400 after the first day, but we'll see.

dutchbstrd fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 19, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sorry if this is old news, but I just got a car with Bluetooth capabilities! It seems my Series 2 Apple Watch is causing an egregious amount of interference with music playback in the car using my iPhone. When I leave the watch at home, everything's perfectly smooth. I've got the watch pretty locked down when it comes to background involvement (e.g. no syncing of music/photos/etc, virtually no apps besides stock, no complications, plain watch face) I do keep GPS on, but stuttering persists without active navigation going. It's stainless steel. Phone is iPhone 11 non-Pro. Not sure what other relevant information I can provide.

I figure I'll try putting the watch in airplane mode next time I go out, but I was wondering if there were any more convenient solutions if this has been a common problem over the past handful of years. Also thinking an IFTTT routine to automate airplane mode toggle when connecting to the car's Bluetooth, if it would let me do such a thing.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 19, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

That sucks. My S3 from when S3s were new shows 100% health.

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm still on OS6 on a release day S5 and I definitely get 24+ hours on it still.

I mean, I don't deny that what's happening to Henrik but there's got to be some sort of curse localized to his wrist or something since I think he's had it replaced multiple times.

Have you high-fived any mummies recently?

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Warning for people on Verizon wireless unlimited plans with Apple Music included, apparently they don’t offer this anymore with new plans and adding a watch to your plan will trigger a plan update and add Apple Music back in at $10/month. At least that’s what I’m assuming did it since it happened right after I activated my s6. I called and they said I should be grandfathered in and they’d roll it back, but YMMV with support.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seems odd, Apple Music is still advertised on the Verizon site.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

It looks like they messed around with the plans again. Play more unlimited used to have Apple Music included, now it’s only included for 6 months.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

flipoff posted:

If you had the solo loop and a sport band, which do you think you’d use more often? I already have a sport band from my s3 and I’m getting a Milanese loop with my s6, on the fence about getting a solo loop.

All of those are trash in the face of the Sport Loop (and its knock-offs if they're well-made), the one true everyday band

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
never thought I'd like the default sport band on my watch, but it's actually really nice, and if I work out alot and give it a funk, it's super easy to clean with dish soap.

As a side note, what do you guys have for your 10 minute alert resting heart rate activity?

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 20, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Normal + 20.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The loss of force press in notifications and watch face switching really sucks

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

flipoff posted:

Warning for people on Verizon wireless unlimited plans with Apple Music included, apparently they don’t offer this anymore with new plans and adding a watch to your plan will trigger a plan update and add Apple Music back in at $10/month. At least that’s what I’m assuming did it since it happened right after I activated my s6. I called and they said I should be grandfathered in and they’d roll it back, but YMMV with support.

Apple Music was included free on the mix and match 2 play more plans.

They just released mix and match 3 plans. Same pricing and naming (except it says Play more 5G). On the 3rd generation, play more includes Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+, and Get More includes both that and Apple Music (so essentially they moved free Apple Music to the more expensive plan).

I don’t know why, but my assumption is Disney gave them a better deal than Apple did. Anyway, I don’t know why they moved your plan when you got the watch, you def aren’t required to change plans when you purchase something.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Sleep tracking is actually pretty clever as a way to get people to buy a new day watch and wear the old one for sleep tracking. I was gonna skip this generation but not having to worry about charging because your day watch is on the charger anyway after you get up is pretty enticing. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One watch is plenty, it takes like 20 minutes to charge to full so I just toss it on the charger while I'm doing breakfast or showering or whatever and it's good until the next morning.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AdmiralViscen posted:

The loss of force press in notifications and watch face switching really sucks
Wait, you can’t switch faces by swiping left or right anymore?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
No, force touch is dead, replaced by long press.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Wait, you can’t switch faces by swiping left or right anymore?

Yes you can, it’s just the force press to customize your face that was removed. And that gesture was removed everywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a shame they couldn't get force touch to catch on because it worked so drat well. But I guess it made the screens way more expensive and wasn't worth the amount of use it got.

But now I have two apple devices with cool tech I can't use anymore. :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there a good way to programmatically trigger watch face changes?

I want my face to have activity stats front and center from midnight until I've hit the move target for the day, then cut over to just the time for the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there a good way to programmatically trigger watch face changes?

I want my face to have activity stats front and center from midnight until I've hit the move target for the day, then cut over to just the time for the rest of the day.

You can set up a shortcut to fire at a specific time and date to change your watch face. But, everything I have tried still requires you to press a notification to get it to switch