Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jedit posted:

If there are food shortages and the insulin stops coming because of Brexit, by March the Tories are going to be pushing towards 500,000 excess deaths in 12 months and ~800,000 since they took office. That former figure can be expressed as 1.1 Second World Wars in the span of a year.

How many World Cups?

[edit] Not only my 12th Birthday but on January 7, 1992 – The Yugoslav Air Force downs a helicopter, killing five military observers from the European Communities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My news app has decided to show me only the most vital pandemic news today, reminding me why I only keep it around to laugh at and never click on anything.

A man that likes his bag of wet eggs.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Great to have your country destroyed by one man in pursuit of their goal only for them realise they perhaps didn't want it after all.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
So my partner has gotten two covid tests over the last couple of weeks and mailed them off - they've both been lost and trying to chase the latest one up with the call centre she was told that due to high call volumes they are no longer looking for mislaid tests.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Eh you got a lot of these stories about trump too but he loves being president

Bojo hates work but loves attention and now he's officially the most important public schoolboy in the whole debate club!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Puntification posted:

So my partner has gotten two covid tests over the last couple of weeks and mailed them off - they've both been lost and trying to chase the latest one up with the call centre she was told that due to high call volumes they are no longer looking for mislaid tests.

One day they'll discover massive caches of untested swabs in the sewers, like the fatbergs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Eh you got a lot of these stories about trump too but he loves being president

Bojo hates work but loves attention and now he's officially the most important public schoolboy in the whole debate club!

It's the Tories various warring factions deciding it's time for their boy to have to top job now the Telegraph's prodigal son is a bit poo poo. It's the Times going "GIVE MICHAEL GOVE A GO".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dogatron posted:

And then there is the wall built in Oxford to keep the poors from the decent people.

I mean there's a little remnant of the wall in New College Garden Quad but that's because the townies kept lynching students (which is why Cambridge exists, they fled to a damp swamp to get away from all that)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

With priti and rishi the tories have some interesting angles for next leader.
They can go full fash with the only non-hideous mp or full neolib with a besuited nerdo.

So inevitably Gove will win the contest and they'll have fishface instead

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

stev posted:

One day they'll discover massive caches of untested swabs in the sewers, like the fatbergs.

Or piled up in the abandoned testing office, being guarded by Andrew Sachs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How much do those no lab testing units cost?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

With priti and rishi the tories have some interesting angles for next leader.
They can go full fash with the only non-hideous mp or full neolib with a besuited nerdo.

So inevitably Gove will win the contest and they'll have fishface instead

I'd say Patel is one of the most hideous Tories.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

crispix posted:

Poor daddy Boris Churchill very sad we must do clap-claps clap-clap time for to cheer up daddy Britain Boris Churchill :holy:

Aren't Tories always saying if you can't afford children you shouldn't have them?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Question for some of the more knowledgeable / experienced in the thread: was the Thatcher era as crushingly hopeless and cruel as the current situation?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was a lot more openly bigoted, but even Thatcher couldn't stop Norman Fowler from actually responding to a pandemic.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Convex posted:

Question for some of the more knowledgeable / experienced in the thread: was the Thatcher era as crushingly hopeless and cruel as the current situation?

I was 15 in 1979 and I'm going to say... it was different. Thatcher was the start (in the UK at least) of the hideous 'no such thing as society, government can do nothing for you, work hard to make money or you are worthless' attitude that has destroyed British (and American) society in the last 40 years. But there was, at least, at bit of hope that the course might be reversed and honestly Blair winning after 12 years of that poo poo felt pretty good. But now, we know how that turned out and the Labour party has been effectively destroyed by billionaire press people and their PLP lackeys and it's really hard to see a worthwhile future for the country, especially with the upcoming environmental nightmare. Thatcher was very bad but there was some hope for things to get better. I can't see that anymore.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Oh yeah, and Brexit. Forgot about that for a minute.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Thatcher was very bad but there was some hope for things to get better. I can't see that anymore.

Thanks both, interesting to know :smith:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

drat i think patel going after bankers doing coke will get her pushed out pretty quick

though maybe she'll get voted in by the membership anyway and purge the capital, silver linings etc

e: also cmon cheer up everyone its not that bad

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 19, 2020

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

drat i think patel going after bankers doing coke will get her pushed out pretty quick

though maybe she'll get voted in by the membership anyway and purge the capital, silver linings etc

e: also cmon cheer up everyone its not that bad

The drug testing thing is not about going after bankers, brokers, lawyers or real estate agents. It's to "randomly" select "problematic" employees for testing so they can be controlled or fired more easily.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The drug tests will only be applied to the mail room and facilities staff, where THEM is more likely to work

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Isn't coke notoriously difficult to test for?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also if you do a Bayesian analysis based on the number of people who use it and the accuracy of tests, you're going to get more false positives than genuine results by blanket testing the population.

Reasonable when you're Covid testing who should stay at home for 2 weeks, not for drug tests.

Any testing should be restricted to current incapacity to operate a vehicle or heavy equipment, not whether somebody has used a certain substance in the past 24h.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Convex posted:

I grew up in the north east and was born in '79, so only have a memory of about the mid 80s onward. Bear in mind that my recollection of childhood there was that we always felt like we were about 5-10 years behind the zeitgeist of the rest of the country, so whereas the rest of the country moved on after the strikes, the north east was still full of very bitter ex mining communities she destroyed.

Back then, the attitude among people defending Thatcher was more 'well yes everything is poo poo, but it needs to be poo poo.' As in the papers were saying we needed to sell off the gas and electric, and everyone was just repeating whatever was said in the press. Which was a LOT more openly homophobic and racist.

Factories seemed to be closing loving everywhere. I think it hit harder up north because you had more people who expected to leabe school early, get a job in a factory, work hard, have kids, go to the pub of a weekend.

And then in the mid nineties Blair emerged, and turned the sense of loss and directionlessness into this bullshit about how everyone is middle class now. Generationally I don't think people understood it. Even when the callcenters and offices started to pop up in Newcastle and the riverside underwent a massive regeneration, the jobs they brought were still (quite rightly) not seen as 'proper work.'

Welfare was a lot easier. There was a perception that you could go on 'the dole' and the jobcentre wasn't as openly hostile toward the long-term unemployed, sick and disabled. If you had a doctor's note, and weren't actively taking the piss by working while claiming, they'd leave you alone.

The worst part of it was the social stigma, especially up north. My uncle Tom was signed off long-term and even my dad - his own brother - used to call him scrounger, lazy etc (from what I remember of Tom it's entirely likely that like me, he had some kind of ASD). He never had a job, and we never really spoke to that side of the family. He died a year or two just after the whole ATOS / hostile atmosphere thing came in.

But yeah, there was a huge social stigma against people who didn't have a job, but also there weren't any jobs. No 'proper' jobs anyway. So everyone seemed miserable and angry and downtrodden but couldn't let go of the communities they'd lost.

Whereas now there seems to be a lot more energy, though not necessarily in a good way. In the 80s, everyone kept their heads down and kind of gave up. People nowadays seem more energetic. Either with anger, or protest, or distraction, or just denial. There are more alternatives to the TV / papers now, which is why I feel like people aren't just slumping in defeat.

The biggest difference though is that in the 80s, any one of the scandals Boris has been through would have sunk a politician's career. I mean there were plenty of scandals, but it always seemed to be followed by a resignation.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I feel bad because when she asked me to post the second one I said if she wanted I could cut out the middle man and throw it directly in trash.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I grew up in the north east and was born in '79, so only have a memory of about the mid 80s onward. Bear in mind that my recollection of childhood there was that we always felt like we were about 5-10 years behind the zeitgeist of the rest of the country, so whereas the rest of the country moved on after the strikes, the north east was still full of very bitter ex mining communities she destroyed.

Back then, the attitude among people defending Thatcher was more 'well yes everything is poo poo, but it needs to be poo poo.' As in the papers were saying we needed to sell off the gas and electric, and everyone was just repeating whatever was said in the press. Which was a LOT more openly homophobic and racist.

Factories seemed to be closing loving everywhere. I think it hit harder up north because you had more people who expected to leabe school early, get a job in a factory, work hard, have kids, go to the pub of a weekend.

And then in the mid nineties Blair emerged, and turned the sense of loss and directionlessness into this bullshit about how everyone is middle class now. Generationally I don't think people understood it. Even when the callcenters and offices started to pop up in Newcastle and the riverside underwent a massive regeneration, the jobs they brought were still (quite rightly) not seen as 'proper work.'

Welfare was a lot easier. There was a perception that you could go on 'the dole' and the jobcentre wasn't as openly hostile toward the long-term unemployed, sick and disabled. If you had a doctor's note, and weren't actively taking the piss by working while claiming, they'd leave you alone.

The worst part of it was the social stigma, especially up north. My uncle Tom was signed off long-term and even my dad - his own brother - used to call him scrounger, lazy etc (from what I remember of Tom it's entirely likely that like me, he had some kind of ASD). He never had a job, and we never really spoke to that side of the family. He died a year or two just after the whole ATOS / hostile atmosphere thing came in.

But yeah, there was a huge social stigma against people who didn't have a job, but also there weren't any jobs. No 'proper' jobs anyway. So everyone seemed miserable and angry and downtrodden but couldn't let go of the communities they'd lost.

Whereas now there seems to be a lot more energy, though not necessarily in a good way. In the 80s, everyone kept their heads down and kind of gave up. People nowadays seem more energetic. Either with anger, or protest, or distraction, or just denial. There are more alternatives to the TV / papers now, which is why I feel like people aren't just slumping in defeat.

The biggest difference though is that in the 80s, any one of the scandals Boris has been through would have sunk a politician's career. I mean there were plenty of scandals, but it always seemed to be followed by a resignation.

Really interesting, thanks. Yeah the scandals thing is interesting and I think we're unlikely to go back to that anytime soon.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I had a test yesterday, pretty odd experience.

They parked up outside and phoned me from the car, running through all of the questions in the car. Then knocked on the door and gave me the kit and told me how to use it. It's just a wipe in the back of the throat and then around the inside of each nostril, very simple. Then I bagged it up for them to take away.

Guess I'll find out in a few days, then I have another one each Friday for 3 more weeks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The way it looks to me is really that the underlying brokenness of the system is showing. Yes scandals may have sunk a politician but only because they let it, what's been shown since is that because all our countries are run by old boys clubs if you just don't go along with that there isn't anyone who's going to make you. And I think in some level a lot of people understand that's because of the structure of the system, that things like soft pressure just don't do anything.

Which I think is a good thing, or at least a necessary thing? Like you can't build a working society on a bunch of lies. The next hurdle is figuring out what to do when the apparatus of the state is clearly broken and basically indistinguishable from extremely roundabout noblesse oblige in terms of how it actually affects people's lives. A lot of people check out, but I think an increasing number don't have the option, and if an opportunity presents itself to do something different I think a lot of people will jump on it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

It's just a wipe in the back of the throat and then around the inside of each nostril, very simple. Then I bagged it up for them to take away.

I've done a couple of tests at home since the pandemic started and I really struggled with it. I don't know if it's my gag reflex or what but I couldn't bear to have the swap at the back of my throat for more than a split second before I needed to get it out. Horrible experience.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Any testing should be restricted to current incapacity to operate a vehicle or heavy equipment, not whether somebody has used a certain substance in the past 24h.

But if a Professional (Banker, Doctor, Lawyer etc...) is being asked to do something which requires their professional expertise (like moving lots of money or giving an expert opinion) is it not fair to say that if they are high or going through withdrawal for said substance they shouldn’t be allowed to do so.

Like I don’t think that drug tests should only be limited to people operating heavy machinery or vehicles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How would you tell whether or not being blitzed off your tits would make you any worse at giving financial advice than normal?

How would you determine that the majority of high level financial decisions are not made with "being blitzed off your tits" as the normal state?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

I've done a couple of tests at home since the pandemic started and I really struggled with it. I don't know if it's my gag reflex or what but I couldn't bear to have the swap at the back of my throat for more than a split second before I needed to get it out. Horrible experience.

I was holding back the urge to make a WAP joke straight after, to be fair.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Not sure the competitive football match I'm currently walking past is legal lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm old enough to remember the regular "this is how many factories have closed and how many jobs have been lost today" feature they had at the end of the 10 o'clock news.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jose posted:

Not sure the competitive football match I'm currently walking past is legal lol

Aren't sporting events legal if it's organised or am I getting confused with the nonsense about hunting or whatever

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Up to 30 people yes but that also includes any spectators and other peeps if they're all close together

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think some of

Bobby Deluxe posted:

is in part related to

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We don't care so much about the race of an MP that they could only realistically run in 'ethnic enclaves' and there's openly gay Tory MPs in rural boroughs, so being scandalized at Boris having a sex out of wedlock would seem more like a return to the 80s morality of curtain twitching to find the gays.

The other scandals like being nakedly corrupt are more to do with the fact that the press either don't care or only performatively care and there's nothing anyone who does care can do.

The Question IRL posted:

But if a Professional (Banker, Doctor, Lawyer etc...) is being asked to do something which requires their professional expertise (like moving lots of money or giving an expert opinion) is it not fair to say that if they are high or going through withdrawal for said substance they shouldn’t be allowed to do so.

Like I don’t think that drug tests should only be limited to people operating heavy machinery or vehicles.
Withdrawal is a tricky one, like someone who is driving while in withdrawal from alcoholism is more of a risk than that same person driving a bit over the limit, because having reactions that are a bit slowed is less risky than having an absence seizure while behind the wheel.

But legally one would be definitely illegal and the other one more tricky (did they know they were at risk of seizures? did their doctor tell them not to drive?). It certainly wouldn't be grounds to develop tests to ban everyone who's had a drink in the past 3 days from driving.

Also her talking about Class A drugs is dumb as hell, because the legal classification of a substance and its ability to prevent you safely operating a vehicle (or giving an expert opinion) the following day are completely unrelated. Randomized testing for any purpose other than whether a person is presently intoxicated is more about morality policing than health and safety.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Red Oktober posted:

I had a test yesterday, pretty odd experience.

They parked up outside and phoned me from the car, running through all of the questions in the car. Then knocked on the door and gave me the kit and told me how to use it. It's just a wipe in the back of the throat and then around the inside of each nostril, very simple. Then I bagged it up for them to take away.

Guess I'll find out in a few days, then I have another one each Friday for 3 more weeks.

Sucks, I have had four tests too over the last few months.
Had a heart problem, thankfully fine now, but had to go to hospital a few times.
Each time, throat and nostrils swabbed. But here in Ireland got the results within two hours, so not sure why we are faster and the UK isnt.

I hate the nostril swab, I can understand now why waterboarding is a horrible form of torture now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

not sure why we are faster and the UK isnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Woo!

https://twitter.com/ROMANSE/status/1307267399843020800

And next week, they're closing the carriageway in the direction I wish to travel