Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Yes as IMS failure is caused by lack of oiling because owners don’t rag the poo poo out of the car often enough if ever. One aftermarket mod is to directly oil it so you can drive miss daisy and not have it fail... or drive it like it is supposed to be driven.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
That's the best case since it's basically permanent. If you can't get a ppi done for legit reasons I would still consider it at this point because so far main points seem positive.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 18, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Still waiting on the startup video and options sticker photo, among other things, but the records are looking good. Thanks for all the input so far. Getting low key excited now.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've ordered some new wheels as they were a third of the price in Germany to here in expensiveland. They will need TPM sensors, any idea if I need to get them from Porsche directly or can I get generic ones? Maybe a bit silly to be penny-pinching on these but reading around they should just be the same things.

They will be summer wheels so probably not any rush, though they will be going to the dealership for storage so it might make sense for them to be complete.

The TPMS manufacturer list these as for the Taycan and all the part numbers match up, and the specific model "can be used directly and without programming after installation"... so should be OK?
https://www.pkwteile.ch/huf/14501114
https://www.intellisens.com/fileadmin/fetch.php?pdf=/fileadmin/pdf/Produktkatalog_2019_PDF.pdf
https://www.intellisens.com/fileadmin/fetch.php?pdf=/fileadmin/pdf/Produktkatalog_2019_PDF.pdf
http://www.products.intellisens.com...2940C0C6E6B5B8A

These are the wheels :swoon:
https://www.reifenprofi.de/felgen/o...-gedreht?c=4834

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 19, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can and should get OES ones. There are only a few different ways that TPMS sensors work, and Porsche uses 433mhz standard sensors.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can and should get OES ones. There are only a few different ways that TPMS sensors work, and Porsche uses 433mhz standard sensors.

Awesome, thanks.

Now just need to persuade the dealership to swap out the 20" summer tyres it comes with for some 21"s and we will be all set.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I think I found the options list for the Targa. Any gotta-have-its missing?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not that you can do much about it, but looks good. Sport seats and LSD are nice but not deal breakers of course.

IIRC, Technic package is mostly the xenons/washers...and....I think a stereo upgrade?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Not that you can do much about it, but looks good. Sport seats and LSD are nice but not deal breakers of course.

IIRC, Technic package is mostly the xenons/washers...and....I think a stereo upgrade?

I think you’re right. Thanks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

slidebite posted:

Speaking of stereos I saw that they've made an upgrade modern head unit.

https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/pccm/

Though presumably there are any number of 2-DIN head units you could stick in without paying the Porsche Tax.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I've seen those.

I have a single DIN in mine.

I don't have a burning desire to replace it but if I did I'd almost certainly go continental with a plug n play wiring adapter.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I just have a bluetooth aux receiver installed. I saw the continental one but didn't know about the factory upgrade. In the end I just use my phone for everything anyway.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Clear corners came for the last picture.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 19, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:perfect:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That's gorgeous.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I wish modern cars had interiors like this. Things to make the car go, tunes, and climate control.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

I wish modern cars had interiors like this. Things to make the car go, tunes, and climate control.

You need a Mitsubishi Mirage may or may not come with the first thing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

You need a Mitsubishi Mirage may or may not come with the first thing.

I assume you're talking about any interior at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

willroc7 posted:

I’ve considered boxsters briefly but I really want something I can cram my two small children into the back of. :getin:

I have lots of fond memories of the cheap 911 my dad had when I was small.

A lot of those memories involve it being torn apart in the garage, because there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

I still really, really, really want an aircooled 911.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm glad my constant nagging you to buy a car for the last year or so has finally come to fruition and been worth the wait :v: That's loving outstanding.

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like you're describing an E9x M3 to be honest, and that's about as modern as you're going to get with that featureset.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have lots of fond memories of the cheap 911 my dad had when I was small.

A lot of those memories involve it being torn apart in the garage, because there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

I still really, really, really want an aircooled 911.

I dunno guys, I'm pretty sure mine will be the first/only reliable and inexpensive one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

996s are inexpensive until they're not.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Completely blew my budget, but I found the one.

I wanted a 987.2 but this 2014 981 had that little bit extra I was looking for. Original sticker was in the manual:

I basically bought it out of the service lot. They hadn't even washed it yet (nor yet cleaned out the trash collectors...)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nicely loaded. Rude color. Well done.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Nice car!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ranzear posted:

I wanted a 987.2 but this 2014 981 had that little bit extra I was looking for. Original sticker was in the manual:

I basically bought it out of the service lot. They hadn't even washed it yet (nor yet cleaned out the trash collectors...)

Awesome car!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dig the yellow. Nice score!

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

PASM and ventilated seats is :kiss:

Well done!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ranzear posted:

Love the color.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It is really sharp.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Installed the Continental radio you guys posted about in my 993. Having bluetooth is nice. The only hangup is that I need to swap two pins on the ISO harness to get the correct power to it with/without the ignition, but it's not a huge deal. Found an ISO extension harness from the UK that I should be able to modify to do the trick.

Kind of tempted by the full Porsche PCM thing, but seems silly to pay $1-2k for it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I agree, seems a little crazy.

Stupid question, but did you check and see if Crutchfield made an adapter?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

I agree, seems a little crazy.

Stupid question, but did you check and see if Crutchfield made an adapter?

It doesn't look like they do. Really all I need is to swap two pins on the harness.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

A few pages back someone asked about the Joyeauto. Anyone have an experience with it or do I get to be the guinea pig?

Best I know it's a piggyback insert that takes over only the Navi button. The only quirks that bug me is it needs a few boxes stashed behind the dash and needs an extra microphone placed somewhere.

I also plan to do an SSD swap.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Going to autox the Boxster tomorrow so that will be fun. Made the mistake of looking too close at the 20+ year old paint and yeah I need to get someone to give it a proper going over. Probably before I put it away for the winter.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
2009 porsche 911 prices are 20k higher then they were 3 years ago. This makes very little sense to me so I will simply keep driving the poo poo I already have. Hmm.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I assume that is all about grrr electric steering grrrr

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

What a dumb purity argument when they could just delete power steering entirely if they want "feel".

Gotta go back to the dealer tomorrow because they didn't bother to lift the spoiler when they did the detail and cilajet last week. What good is the poser button if it's filthy under there?

Also gonna poke a few indie shops about whether they can flash the GTS tune without me buying a cobb or something.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I feel like there is a valid Goldilocks type of argument for that sort of feel and that it’s very much up to the individual and preferences. Many people love 90s cars as the last analog cars as they are often referred to. But they have ECUs and fuel injection and most arent cable throttle either. Once you admit you aren’t going for an objective best performance measure and just a more visceral feel of something you like, it basically opens the door for any point in the spectrum to be correct.

I will give you that it does certainly erode any argument of trying to say my point on the spectrum is best and deriding those that pic further or lower on the spectrum though. Being a pompous rear end about the chosen inflection point is kind of dumb. (Even though as I say this I know I get real dumb and yells at clouds about many things, maybe time for deeper self reflection?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've encountered some truly bad EPAS systems. My parent's Kia would get stuck on-center all the time, later Dad's Mustang was a weird floaty mess. Late model Ford trucks got better than the sloppy mess their steering used to degrade into.

The only thing I've found to be weird about the Porsche EPAS is sometimes on a cruise on a straight crowned road I'll have the tiniest pull left or right after the long constant input, but if I do a little wiggle or take a curve it neutralizes out again. Even hydraulic steering can be wildly over-assisted and feel like crap, like in our 2001 Z3.

'Subjective feel'? Sure. I'd better see a parallel complaint about Porsche using cables instead of direct linkages for shifting though.

Any claim about more feedback is just the usual 'I can totally outdrive the system!' bullshit.

I will trade a tiny bit of placebo steering feel for 31mpg any day.

"Why do you care about mileage over the ✨ᴇxᴘᴇʀɪᴇɴᴄᴇ✨!?" I hear my personal strawman yell: Because it means I can drive through the entirety of Oregon without having to let somebody else pump my gas.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 28, 2020