Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did. (July 13, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (September 20, 1917)

Hitz and Mrs. (May 31, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (September 24, 1928)

Dark Laughter (August 8, 1936, click for big)

“Doc, I hope you can do sumpthin’. He’s been standin’ like dat ever since he read ‘bout Owens an’ Hitler.”

They'll Do It Every Time (March 12, 1941)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (August 3, 1946)

“GOO’NESS! Those “Wolf Calls” Are Gonna Be Your Downfall Yet!”

Dinky Fellas (September 28, 1964)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Jicama chat: I was a produce clerk once and I remember stocking it. That's all I got. Pretty big Hispanic community around the store though.

this thread inspired me to spend ten minutes last night researching jicama, what they're like, and where I might reasonably purchase one in this city, and ten minutes this morning calling around to various small markets who haven't updated their websites since 2015 to ask about their stock, and forty minutes this afternoon going across town to buy a jicama.

I'm not thrilled by jicama, raw or cooked. Semi-sweet, yeah, but also a distinct undertaste that reminds me of fresh-picked green beans - and not in a good way. It's okay, and I'll almost certainly finish it over the next few weeks, but I won't buy it again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Julienne the jicama, throw some chilli powder and lime and salt on it, and put it into a taco with your favourite other taco things.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If you want the really good stuff you need to ask for Jick-Cam-Ah.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This Luanne storyline is getting to me. Shannon comes across to me as a kid who has been ignored all her life and who is doing whatever it takes to get any sort of engagement at all. And the nominal heroes of this strip mostly can't be added if she isn't hurting herself or causing property damage.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

As someone whose eyes slide over Classic K&K, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Why would you not? You turned into a functional moon-buggy.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

"Hindsight bias, also known as the knew-it-all-along phenomenon[1] or creeping determinism,[2] refers to the common tendency for people to perceive events that have already occurred as having been more predictable than they actually were before the events took place.[3][4]"

Keep that in mind when you read this installment of The Timid Soul, which was published in 1939. With decades of hindsight, the meaning of the joke here is totally changed. Was there really any way for HT Webster - an American - to predict that Caspar's concerns would be completely rational and sensible?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Well, at least you'll get your cardiovascular for the day, or Raspa has terrible trigger discipline, or 'I have the strangest feeling someone's watching me...'

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Parahexavoctal posted:

"Hindsight bias, also known as the knew-it-all-along phenomenon[1] or creeping determinism,[2] refers to the common tendency for people to perceive events that have already occurred as having been more predictable than they actually were before the events took place.[3][4]"

Keep that in mind when you read this installment of The Timid Soul, which was published in 1939. With decades of hindsight, the meaning of the joke here is totally changed. Was there really any way for HT Webster - an American - to predict that Caspar's concerns would be completely rational and sensible?

In 1919, the swastika was an innocent symbol, but by 1939 it was most definitely associated with Nazi Germany. The Boy Scouts abandoned use of it in '34 right after Hitler took power, precisely for that reason.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Pondus

(fun fact in Norway you're not allowed to advertise for alcohol or tobacco)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:roflolmao:

fondue posted:

B Kliban

I went to Australia last summer and honestly expected it to be like this, constantly having to wade through the Kangaroo's to get anywhere ... but I never saw one that wasn't in a zoo.
You see them on the streets pretty frequently in some places. My parents live in Bendigo, about 3km from the CBD, and there are often kangaroos outside their house in the evenings.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The penultimate panel is actually quite a bit more specific than I'm making it look. Ms. Giffs is actually saying she's going to file an official petition with the Blue House. Official petitions to the Blue House are required by law to receive an official government response if they can break two hundred thousand signatures. There's no good way to put all that context in a single speech balloon, so I had to turn it into a proximate reference that's still off, albeit for a cultural reason still present in the original comic. Namely, the idea that you could go over the heads of local cops to a higher authority and have some sort of expectation they might take you more seriously.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 2/12/54

Mopsy 3/1/43

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin's Desert Island

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I appreciate this.

Classic Kevin and Kell (October 7-11, 1996)

Hey remember how we recently spent a whole story arc of modern Kevin and Kell saving a weasel from getting murdered?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 1, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 1, 1999)

Garfield Classic (February 1, 1989)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 1, 1999)

Jordan comes out of retirement (again) like 18 months later.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time any of the Martian Mermaid characters gets a speech or thought bubble, possibly mitigated by the kid being half-mer-martian.

Does the Female mer-martian even have a name?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

howe_sam posted:

Jordan comes out of retirement (again) like 18 months later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1bJVoMoOc

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 25, 2022

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

maltesh posted:

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time any of the Martian Mermaid characters gets a speech or thought bubble, possibly mitigated by the kid being half-mer-martian.

Does the Female mer-martian even have a name?

She only exists so the dodo has someone to exposit/emote at, and also because Holbrook has a nuclear families fetish.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 04, 1941)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/18/00

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 3/27/43

So Brenda somehow managed to give $150,000 (adjusted for inflation) of someone else's money to an escaped mental patient without noticing anything might be wrong. Nice one.

And once again, we see that every man in Brenda's life is a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Smokey Stover 10/31/37

If you don't get the "Cut-Ups for Grown-Ups" panel, it used to be a popular Halloween prank for kids to take someone's front gate off its hinges and either take it away or throw it somewhere inaccessible.

Edge of Theft

So it is. It's not the first time he's used that image either.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 19, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 04, 1941)

That kraken is getting fed. You can't show a beast like that and not have it eat somebody, and I'm betting it's Angor Wrack.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Selachian posted:

Edge of Theft

All of
the
pirates
are
women!

I have
gunned
down
several
of them!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Rae the Doe's web archives

Soda Pressing

Evidence]

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sam is no Jackson. To quote Danger 5:

SS Lady "You hit a woman!"
Jackson "I hit a nazi!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That last panel would make killer av material.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Except that Toni doesn't want kids, as you just discussed. The person who wants the least amount of kids wins. Sucks you guys evidently didn't talk about that even once before you got engaged, but that's what happens when you're dumb.

What's he supposed to do? Beat her? Let her bleed out all over his kitchen? Throw her out in the snow? Discipline/retaliation options are pretty slim when you're talking about somebody else's kid. Time-outs and talking-tos can happen, sure, but I guess it makes me a bleeding-heart coddler of entitled monsters If I'm okay with Brad mopping up the blood first.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
And, again, she's acting out for attention because it's been denied to her for so long. Ignoring her unless she's hurt just sends her bad messages about how to get love. And even worse, her worth as a person.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Pretty sure the comics commentariat over there consists of the same cruel, self-satisfied leadbrains discussed in the Boomer and rejected parents threads in GBS.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe's web archives

Evidence]

Rae the Doe stop doxxing me challenge 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Julet Esqu posted:

Except that Toni doesn't want kids, as you just discussed. The person who wants the least amount of kids wins. Sucks you guys evidently didn't talk about that even once before you got engaged, but that's what happens when you're dumb.

What's he supposed to do? Beat her? Let her bleed out all over his kitchen? Throw her out in the snow? Discipline/retaliation options are pretty slim when you're talking about somebody else's kid. Time-outs and talking-tos can happen, sure, but I guess it makes me a bleeding-heart coddler of entitled monsters If I'm okay with Brad mopping up the blood first.

This kind of situation is exactly what the Box of Trial is for.

I love this. Sometimes the very best edits are the ones that seem so obvious in hindsight.