Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

colonelwest posted:

But I think we will eventually get some version of SQ42, it seems like the investors will force that. I can’t wait to experience Chris’ moronic vision of WW2 in space but with Space Rome vs the Space Visigoths, and a cast of A list actors forced to speak his sub-90’s-sitcom-tier dialogue.

That setup isn't even entirely stupid as far as videogame settings go, if it was done professionally and cleverly (i.e. with sufficient ham) enough. However, I fear that Chris takes SQ71's plot seriously.

Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fidelitious posted:

What the hell was all that blockchain gibberish?

Blockchain does everything, it cures cancer, abolishes death, and is the solution to every problem in the world past, present, and future.
So please invest all your money into it right now, so that when everyone is using it the $10 I have spent on it already will propel me into riches so that I can laugh at Bezo's meager near trillion.

But with jpgs instead of needing pesky things like a million employees, warehouses, and physical delivery infrastructures and logistics.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 19, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Not that this shitshow would ever actually get released but Cyberpunk's release will send the entire game back into a complete refactor ensuring 10 more years of funding

The city, the NPC variety, the weapon variety etc - Star Citizen will of course promise to be better in every area

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

phosdex posted:

dynamic
centralized
database

lmao

Absolutely riveting stuff!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1307072136683626498

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Our game is nearly a decade behind but lets produce some absolute bottom of the barrel scraping filler content about how our builds occupy space on a hard drive

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

phosdex posted:

dynamic
centralized
database

lmao

I can almost feel people trying to become software development experts and trying to rationalize the gibberish bullshit CIG barfs out to be logical.

The reality is they are way, way out of their depth and skill, and are inventing things they hope will solve the myriad of problems they are facing. These gibberish comments are singular to CIG because no company comes up with dumb stuff like that. You very much use industry standard verbiage and you implement industry standard techniques. Nobody is going to write fake technical terms on their resume unless they never want to get a job anywhere.

The real technical term for what CIG needs to do to successfully fix the huge swath of super complex bugs they've created over a near decade of band aids and object extending is "start over".

And ideally I'd even use a more advanced phrase like "start over with an actual design plan".

And if you want to get into Star Trek techno babble land I'd say "start over with an actual design plan that was made by senior design architects who have significant experience in the MMO industry and are supported by equally senior developers with similar experience, bolstered by mid-level and jr-developers to help everything get done reasonably fast".

Anything except this and you're going to soon be saying how "iCache" is only going to kick in in version 5.32.1 and the real winner that will solve everything is "subQuantify" tech they now claim is the sure winner but that relies on "server parallel striation" to finish and they'll totally nail that in another year.

And also it will take even longer to make because their code degraded by leaps and bounds every time they release something, and all their current devs are out of their depth.

CIGs biggest issue though is if they can even attract the talent they need to build a successful project? My opinion there is probably not. At least not without huge bonuses and benefits, and major changes to their management structure. These guys need to be given room to work and they can not be undermined by somebody who's last experience was cheating an EMM386 error message to show when the game crashes closed.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 19, 2020

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

Is there any feature in this game that is considered "finished and working"?

Maybe not at dreams.txt level, but is just "done"
Every update is always in present tense, but I haven't seen anything that is actually "we completed X and we move on to something else"

The only thing I have is "walking in a corridor that isn't near any doors"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope Squadron 42 gets a release, I need to see cultists' reactions to a Zero Punctuation review.

Also, anyone know what the gently caress "Puncknowle" means and why autocorrect thinks I want to use it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Orange Carlisle posted:

Our game is nearly a decade behind but lets produce some absolute bottom of the barrel scraping filler content about how our builds occupy space on a hard drive

This is never been done before build tech, once they figure out dCache they'll cut the build time down from 5 hours to 5 minutes and the pipelines will really kick in! No other game developer has the guts to attempt stuff like this cause publishers demand they add in more microtransactions.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sunswipe posted:

I really hope Squadron 42 gets a release, I need to see cultists' reactions to a Zero Punctuation review.

Also, anyone know what the gently caress "Puncknowle" means and why autocorrect thinks I want to use it?

It's a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southwest England, situated on the southern slopes of the Bride Valley

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kenji Jenkins posted:

Every update is always in present tense, but I haven't seen anything that is actually "we completed X and we move on to something else"

The game's sporting a fully functional store which provides a direct vector straight into Chris' bank account.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/axCWuyr.gifv

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

phosdex posted:

dynamic
centralized
database

lmao

jfc I worked on persistence for an MMO and this is the saddest poo poo imaginable. It’s just complete loving nonsense. The idea that CI hasn’t managed to stand up a persistent storage solution in 9 years, while I managed to write a criminally overengineered first cut at a service that did write-back caching (more or less) with constant management interference BY MYSELF in less than a year means that I’m surely a turbonerd hypergenius savant.

I’m an idiot.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

jfc I worked on persistence for an MMO and this is the saddest poo poo imaginable. It’s just complete loving nonsense. The idea that CI hasn’t managed to stand up a persistent storage solution in 9 years, while I managed to write a criminally overengineered first cut at a service that did write-back caching (more or less) with constant management interference BY MYSELF in less than a year means that I’m surely a turbonerd hypergenius savant.

I’m an idiot.

i'm a CTO of a persistent dynamic blockchain cache cloud and you don't understand that the first 90% of the work is the predecessor to the second 90% of the work. if you were really so smart you'd be working for CIG so the game can release by 2028. o7

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

phosdex posted:

dynamic
centralized
database

lmao

Look at the bright side.
It's not centralised, and it's not any more dynamic than any other kind of instancing. But at least it's barely a database since it just sits as… well… a cache between server instances and the actual centralised persistent database.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Popete posted:

This is never been done before build tech, once they figure out dCache they'll cut the build time down from 5 hours to 5 minutes and the pipelines will really kick in! No other game developer has the guts to attempt stuff like this cause publishers demand they add in more microtransactions.

In the pipeline, 5 by 5

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We still do not know a single thing about the story for Squadron 42.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

dynamic
centralized
database

lmao

Don't laugh, the other day I went with a static distributed database and I couldn't change any value! gently caress that!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I said come in! posted:

:wrong:

We know it's going to be v bad

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Thoatse posted:

In the pipeline, 5 by 5

Pffft, can she do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XY-Kqt1Egk&t=13s

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Didn't the entire script leak?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Well a bullet will scrape a kinetic shield.....

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:
Nice to see SC is still going.

However, as time passes I have an increasingly hard time understanding why people still give money to CIG.

- First of all, it's a profit-oriented company. They aren't the backers friends and their currently released product is objectively utter garbage.
- They promise since 8 years to improve if backers give them more money. However, over the last two years there was marginal progress and the bugs even got worse. Also, SQ42 is still missing in action.
- In addition to the point above, they make up technological terms and pretend to do industry-changing stuff, but nothing of it is in the PU. Since years. It's just words.
- Now the head-honcho shits a wall of text into their forum, talking about unimportant fluff like localization and a minor feature. It's like... "Elon, my car breaks down every 10 miles and I have to call a mechanic. I paid 55k for it, what is going on?" and he responses with how nice the windscreen wiper looks.

I mean, how can anyone still believe the CIG-marketing at this point? Would the backers still buy whatever brand if it doesn't work for 8 years and all they hear is "give more money, then it will work eventually"? It's hard to believe there are people that stupid with that much money to spare.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

Not the entire script, but a good amount of random scenes.

Actually does anyone know where the leaked script is now? The Pastebin everyone linked to back when it first leaked is gone.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Kenji Jenkins posted:

You might be over-estimating the corridors

https://v.redd.it/i2c4l9mqxnn51/DASH_480.mp4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Viscous Soda posted:

Not the entire script, but a good amount of random scenes.

Actually does anyone know where the leaked script is now? The Pastebin everyone linked to back when it first leaked is gone.

Archived here

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Ya like 1300 pages or some poo poo and iirc it was so bad that the star citizen defense force of that era mobilized to deem it a clever ruse to throw the community off the real script

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The real script is "Sell suckers dreams, get rich"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So is quantum fuel as stupid as I think it is? It's a liquid fuel that powers the FTL drive and is separate from the fuel that powers the rest of the ship? Like what exactly is it and where does it come from? Why does the FTL need a different fuel? That's like having a fighter jet that has a different type of fuel for Mach speeds.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Temporarily removed Gin & tonic from bar menu.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pixelate posted:

The horror! The horror!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pixelate posted:

The Halloween event is lookin pretty good.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I said come in! posted:

We know Crobbler dropped the tome with its script on stage.

It made a thud.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Never thought to look on the Wayback Machine. Thanks!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Human militaristic fascist state good, others bad. Chosen one save us from others by kill. All happy, all good.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I was telling my coworker about this sad shitshow, and one of the things they still haven't managed to accomplish that you require for a MMO to work is the save state. Like If I log out in say WoW at a specific point in the world, I will spawn into the world in the same place when I log back in. SC can't even handle this simple task and you have to still sink 20 minutes or more trying to even get your ship to spawn. Spaceship game holy rule #1 is "get the loving player in a ship asap" and they somehow don't understand that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I was telling my coworker about this sad shitshow, and one of the things they still haven't managed to accomplish that you require for a MMO to work is the save state. Like If I log out in say WoW at a specific point in the world, I will spawn into the world in the same place when I log back in. SC can't even handle this simple task and you have to still sink 20 minutes or more trying to even get your ship to spawn. Spaceship game holy rule #1 is "get the loving player in a ship asap" and they somehow don't understand that.

just wait you fudster, they are inventing a database and then all the pieces will fall into place

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Lammasu posted:

So is quantum fuel as stupid as I think it is? It's a liquid fuel that powers the FTL drive and is separate from the fuel that powers the rest of the ship? Like what exactly is it and where does it come from? Why does the FTL need a different fuel? That's like having a fighter jet that has a different type of fuel for Mach speeds.

No, it's pretty standard sci-fi stuff. FTL is by our current understanding of physics is impossible so space operas generally invent some device that changes physics. Sometimes that device just need a shitload of power so the magic space fuel is just some way to generate a shitload of power which powers the FTL drive and the ship and other times the FTL itself needs a special fuel while the rest of the ship needs a separate power system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

If you have ftl or even just artificial gravity in your sci fi universe you might as well go full Destiny style space magic. Anti grav and ftl are so far beyond our current conception of technology that trying to cram it into any sort of "realistic" universe makes all your social, technological and ecological assumptions completely irrelevant.