Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

haveblue posted:

This is what horse tranquilizers are actually supposed to be for and there's no way none of those people have any

10 seconds later it runs into a different ditch and gets stuck again

nah, it was 5 seconds and the same ditch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Chocobo posted:

There is nothing that infuriates me more in my life than people who try to pass in treacherous road conditions. Saving a few minutes is not worth killing people over.

Seriously. Any time I see snow just casually blowing across the road without sticking, I assume black ice. I've gotten close a few times, but so far no accident.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chocobo posted:

There is nothing that infuriates me more in my life than people who try to pass in treacherous road conditions. Saving a few minutes is not worth killing people over.

How many minutes are we talking here?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety
by Eric Schlosser goes into this and other American nuclear near-disasters and its pretty fascinating.
It's a great book but for the lazy there's also a movie, I think it's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGp90esPAKs

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Seriously. Any time I see snow just casually blowing across the road without sticking, I assume black ice. I've gotten close a few times, but so far no accident.
This seems to happen all the time when it's cold and dry, the powdery snow just flies across asphalt without sticking. You're absolutely right to be extra careful of course but in this case I think it's clearly just a dumbass truck trying to overatke when there wasn't enough time/distance to do it safely.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
^^^

Why? Public TV is copyrighted? I'm in TN fer Jebus sake.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

That tweet on the Damascus incident includes a photo of an 8 lb. 4 inch? socket. What type of application would a 4 inch diameter nut be necessary for?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Stanky Bean posted:

That tweet on the Damascus incident includes a photo of an 8 lb. 4 inch? socket. What type of application would a 4 inch diameter nut be necessary for?

I thought 4.5 was the average? this is very unsettling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stanky Bean posted:

Since it was an ICBM silo- rockets are typically attached to the pad with explosive bolts so the engines can spin up to full power before liftoff. And those would probably have to be pretty big to ensure they only release on command.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stanky Bean posted:

The oxidizer tank pressure fill plug, basically the fuel tank cap for the missile.

Also, don't miss the delightfuly awful 80s tv movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5heVK6FgGQo

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

command and control was one of the best and most harrowing books i’ve ever read

My favourite part was where a US General in the 70's looked at the SIOP (Nuke Russian plan) and realised that there were so many targets just near Moscow. That without a single bomb dropping close enough to the city to harm it directly, that anyone not in a hardened NBC bunker would have rapidly received a lethal dose of radiation just from the fallout.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Deptfordx posted:

My favourite part was where a US General in the 70's looked at the SIOP (Nuke Russian plan) and realised that there were so many targets just near Moscow. That without a single bomb dropping close enough to the city to harm it directly, that anyone not in a hardened NBC bunker would have rapidly received a lethal dose of radiation just from the fallout.

Or that the nukes were landing on Moscow so thick and fast that exploding nukes would undoubtedly destroy other nukes on the way in. There was significant anticipated wastage from both duds and accidental destruction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vanagoon posted:

^^^

I'm a dirty foreigner so it works out in my favor for once.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

^^^

Did Tennessee secede again without telling anyone?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
they decided to try it and tennessee how it goes

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, the rosy picture of a 'limited' nuclear engagement (where both sides have a gentleman's agreement to only hurl nuclear weapons at each other's military installations) still leaves the Earth a blasted nuclear hellscape, where anybody not in a hardened NBC shelter dies of radiation in the first few days, dies of radiation/starvation in the next few weeks, or dies of cancer a few years after the fact.

I firmly believe that the Great Filter that any semi-advanced intelligent life has to get through is discovering the power of the atom. I imagine that if we ever get to the stars (and I don't think we will), we're going to find quite a few worlds where intelligent life had existed and then nuked itself into oblivion.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/701265871317762110/756993822512119928/DASH_480_2.mp4

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A White Guy posted:

Yeah, the rosy picture of a 'limited' nuclear engagement (where both sides have a gentleman's agreement to only hurl nuclear weapons at each other's military installations) still leaves the Earth a blasted nuclear hellscape, where anybody not in a hardened NBC shelter dies of radiation in the first few days, dies of radiation/starvation in the next few weeks, or dies of cancer a few years after the fact.

I firmly believe that the Great Filter that any semi-advanced intelligent life has to get through is discovering the power of the atom. I imagine that if we ever get to the stars (and I don't think we will), we're going to find quite a few worlds where intelligent life had existed and then nuked itself into oblivion.

Social media is the great filter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vanagoon posted:

^^^

I have a VPN installed have have tried Atlanta, Washington DC, and Chicago servers, get the same error. I turned off my VPN and got the same error. I switched it to a Canadian server and it worked fine. :canada:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mustached Demon posted:

Social media is the great filter.

https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1307211650051837952

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

CommieGIR posted:

In OSHA history: Its the anniversary of the Damascus Titan II incident:

https://twitter.com/AtomicAnalyst/status/1307346247859175426?s=20

Hey, I got to see that (representative) socket in person. A few years ago I got to go on an exhaustive tour of the Titan II missile museum silo. Got to go into literally every room, nook, and cranny. Climb all the ladders, etc. Like 5 hours wandering around a rather small facility all things considered.

Lucked out as all hell as the tour guide was a former missileer who's first watch duty was in that very silo when it was operational. So we got the real story of what it was like to work in one, not the drama filled one the regular tour guides gave. TL';DR according to him: Mostly boring and loud. You couldn't be left alone, so if while on watch you had to take a piss, someone stood on the stairway to keep an eye on the console, and you, while you had to stick an arm out the shitter door while leaning over. The biggest OSHA there is they airflow they manage in the tunnel to the missile silo, so if the thing leaks its liquid fuel it doesn't flood the crew quarters with Aerozine 50. ("a 50:50 mix by weight of hydrazine and unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine")

That and the Pima Air Museum are well worth your time if you somehow find yourself near Tucson Arizona with a day and a half to kill.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
If someone starts a "Launch the Nukes Challenge" to some jaunty tune, are we all just dead?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gdmLhec.gifv

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It's ok, buddy, those sections in Mario games always take me a few tries too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

If someone starts a "Launch the Nukes Challenge" to some jaunty tune, are we all just dead?

It's a boy!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

"The closest some of us will ever get to heaven" -Actual text from WTC promotional Ad circa 1970's

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Byzantine posted:

It's a boy!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/6Il8qyW.gifv

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Holy gently caress lol

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

The artificial womb testing is coming along nicely, but still subject to the occasional breech birth.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

I only married her for the money

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Matrix cannot tell you who you are.

Meanwhile, down on the farm:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

The Matrix cannot tell you who you are.

Meanwhile, down on the farm:

PTOs lust for human flesh the same way helicopters do

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Memento posted:

PTOs lust for human flesh the same way helicopters do

Grain augers lust for entire limbs

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Grain bins lust for entire families

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Slurry pits lust for everyone working that day...one man at a time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Farms lust for osha regulation and will continue to harvest souls until their demands are met.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/BWOhcLU.gifv

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
You'd think they could automate the step of "poke a knife into the massive press as it closes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qgvgfloBdc1s1ddrj.mp4