Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Batman Beyond already had Joker-Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

You'll get a second Joker who will name himself the Jokest.

An arsonist and an abnormal drugs trafficker. The Smoker and the Midnight Toker.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The Ride-On King

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well, he's got my vote

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Batman beating a villain through social welfare programs.

TwoPair posted:

Well, he's got my vote

I'm pretty sure that's Putin who's been isekai'd. So, cool as that was, he doesn't have mine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

skaianDestiny posted:

Batman beating a villain through social welfare programs.

And unlike real life, he probably follows through.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

TwoPair posted:

Well, he's got my vote

He had it regardless.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kalli posted:

Steel Joker, Cyborg Joker, Jokerboy and a fake Joker but who kidnapped and regenerated the real Joker to steal his power face.

Uh-huh. And you call yourself 'Joker's Daughter' despite the fact that you're clearly Two Face's.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nilbop posted:

I'm probably in the minority here but this is legitimately my least favourite type of story for exactly this reason; we know nothing is going to change. Every year or two someone writes a big "No, [SUPER/BAT]man! This time you HAVE to kill him!" story where they lampshade and mock a very specific part of the industry and propose the killing of the bad guy. And we know that even if Joker, or Thanos, or Magneto gets killed they're going to come back. So I'd rather see a random writer celebrate that side of the industry, having fun with it Lego Batman or Ninja Batman style, rather than trying to hype up their latest "This time it's fo' real" moment.

Harley's growth is allowed by DC because it turns a minor asset into a major one. Killing the Joker removes a major asset. It will literally never, ever happen until the far off day when the Joker becomes unprofitable. Why even bother pretending it will? Just to validate a rote writer's unmemorable story?

No, yeah that's my point. Regardless of how how interesting or unique the storyline is the status quo will get reset down the line. It's a major issue with mainline Marvel + DC comics. Self contained storylines like Long Halloween or Dark Knight Returns are much more interesting, because it doesn't matter what they do with their set piece characters.

That's why I love manga so much, because you can become much more engaged with a series when you know there's not going to be a reset switch (Unless it's part of the series aka Dragonball :v:)
You also get to see a much wider range of topics than just seeing Peter Parker as the perpetual teenager.

For example Countach that I'm currently reading.
The hook? Guy always wanted a Countach, and he gets one. That's literally the setup.
(Like alright the guy writes to a billionaire who gives him one, and he buys it at a massive discount)
[url=https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=19682]It ran for 28 volumes[/urk]

Countach - Chapter 16
tl;dr version: Main character gets into a street race with a scumbag Porsche 911 owner who has keyed the absolute poo poo out of the second characters Porsche 928GTS, kidnapped her cat, and threatened to murder it.
Posting whole sequence cause it rules.

Like don't get me wrong I'm still a huge comic nerd, but I feel you find much more interesting and offbeat stories in manga.
"Owns a car" is such a dumb concept to get a series off the ground, but the artwork is dope and it's filled with lots of great info about old supercars.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

He had it regardless.

:drat:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Infinitum posted:

No, yeah that's my point. Regardless of how how interesting or unique the storyline is the status quo will get reset down the line. It's a major issue with mainline Marvel + DC comics. Self contained storylines like Long Halloween or Dark Knight Returns are much more interesting, because it doesn't matter what they do with their set piece characters.

That's why I love manga so much, because you can become much more engaged with a series when you know there's not going to be a reset switch (Unless it's part of the series aka Dragonball :v:)
You also get to see a much wider range of topics than just seeing Peter Parker as the perpetual teenager.

[...]

Like don't get me wrong I'm still a huge comic nerd, but I feel you find much more interesting and offbeat stories in manga.
"Owns a car" is such a dumb concept to get a series off the ground, but the artwork is dope and it's filled with lots of great info about old supercars.

This makes sense to me. I like shared universes but I also feel like they really kind of incentivize just reiterating and reiterating the basic contours of that universe over and over. It's possible of course to have genre fun within that space and to carve out odd or offbeat niches-- I especially adore that stuff-- but it also means that fundamentally you're accepting and working around a big umbrella "rule-set" for your stories that are going to be more or less immutable.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey, I remember reading the first chapter of Countach a while back and occasionally wondering how it turned out. I'll have to remind myself to check it out again once I catch up with Souboutei Must Be Destroyed

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Manga can have it's own negative cycles they can fall into, mostly long-running shonen titles (and a few other titles like Detective Conan) where it enters its own sort of stasis where storylines repeat but with bigger numbers or arbitrarily larger stakes.

But it is, thankfully, much rarer and even the most bloated manga eventually ends (although one piece might be trying to prove that wrong) rather than entering some kind of holding pattern or a cycle of continuity reboots.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

oriongates posted:

Manga can have it's own negative cycles they can fall into, mostly long-running shonen titles (and a few other titles like Detective Conan) where it enters its own sort of stasis where storylines repeat but with bigger numbers or arbitrarily larger stakes.

Also manga creators can be at the mercy of their editors to a ridiculous degree.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

One Piece has made a lot of people a hell of a lot of money.
It will get stretched out as much as possible, but its getting there. I think weve been 2 years away from the end for 5 years now?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Was it the Yu Yu Hakusho author the one that was basically kidnapped inside a room by his editor until he finished a manuscript or something like that?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Adnor posted:

Was it the Yu Yu Hakusho author the one that was basically kidnapped inside a room by his editor until he finished a manuscript or something like that?

see, that is badass

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Adnor posted:

I remember hearing a story like that about Rob Liefeld actually.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alacron posted:

I remember hearing a story like that about Rob Liefeld actually.

An editor showed up and slept on his couch until he drew something, he wasn't held hostage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Adnor posted:

Maybe after that he went off the grid and that's why Hunter x Hunter takes so long :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Adnor posted:

Ah, the Hunter S. Thompson method.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

One Piece has made a lot of people a hell of a lot of money.
It will get stretched out as much as possible, but its getting there. I think weve been 2 years away from the end for 5 years now?

Oda's never been that specific, apart from when he went out and said chapter 500 was supposed to be around about the halfway point but that he'd probably fallen behind that by a year or so.

For anyone not following the manga, the next chapter is 991. It does kinda feel like we're slowly entering the endgame setup, but it also feels like it could easily go on for another decade. We'll all kinda know by where he takes it after this story arc.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But how will we know where we're going without 100 extra chapters of flashbacks? :thunk:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Kalli posted:

Steel Joker, Cyborg Joker, Jokerboy and a fake Joker but who kidnapped and regenerated the real Joker to steal his power.
This sounds like something the Joker would actually come up with to take the piss out of Superman.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Nilbop posted:

Oda's never been that specific, apart from when he went out and said chapter 500 was supposed to be around about the halfway point but that he'd probably fallen behind that by a year or so.

For anyone not following the manga, the next chapter is 991. It does kinda feel like we're slowly entering the endgame setup, but it also feels like it could easily go on for another decade. We'll all kinda know by where he takes it after this story arc.

He's said the story has about '5 years left' last year, then this year said '4 or 5 years', because he's the kind of writer who is GOING to hit every beat he can think of and then some if he thinks it makes for even a slightly better story.
There's a hickman comparison here somewhere about having too much story to tell

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Captain America and Batroc

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I wish that comics would hire people who actually spoke non-English languages...

For one, in panel 3, Batroc calls the dude my little cauliflower (never mind that he uses "ma" instead of "mon"). "Mon petit choux" would be a better insult and fit better for a guy supposedly from Marseille, France.

And I get that "Mon Capitan" is basically what people think it should sound like but it's "Mon Capitaine"

Proper use of non-English languages is badass :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Batroc isn't really French he just does the accent for the ladies.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I thought that was The Swordsman?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually its Fantomex.

and I'm pretty sure Batroc has called people 'my little cauliflower' multiple times at this point, it might just be a running joke by now

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If I ever get hired to write batroc I will his French absolutely atrocious just to spite you, specifically.

Wee wee.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Gologle posted:

If I ever get hired to write batroc I will his French absolutely atrocious just to spite you, specifically.

Wee wee.

*Mimes throwing a baguette at you*

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought petit chou fleur was a term of endearment that also happens to mean cauliflower. I know no French but vaguely remember this exact same thing being discussed for the exact same reason when the TF2 Spy used it at the end of Meet the Spy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, there's a bunch of non Team Fortress 2 related references to "Mon petit chou fleur" being a common French term of endearment. They're mostly in the UK so it might not actually be a thing French people say though.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
A PYF discussion about the Thor MCU films reminded me of the all-time badass moment from Simonson's Thor, so I dug it out of this thread's archives.

bobkatt013 posted:

This is still one of the most badass moments in a comic full of badass moments.
Let there be Skurge! Thor 362
Sorry about so many but they are all needed

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ok, that's loving awesome.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hulk Smash! posted:

I wish that comics would hire people who actually spoke non-English languages...

For one, in panel 3, Batroc calls the dude my little cauliflower (never mind that he uses "ma" instead of "mon"). "Mon petit choux" would be a better insult and fit better for a guy supposedly from Marseille, France.

And I get that "Mon Capitan" is basically what people think it should sound like but it's "Mon Capitaine"

Proper use of non-English languages is badass :colbert:

You're right about the gender but 'my little cabbage flower' is an actual French term of endearment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He stood alone at Gjallerbru and that is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

The perspective in that first panel is... questionable. Unless Batroc forgot to mention “Munchkins” in his list of mercenaries.