Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The stored energy model doesn't really work with AC, you would have to:

A) switch to a chilled water style system, which is less efficient than using direct heat transfer to refrigerant, also water's not that great at storing energy unless you have a phase change, so you could freeze a couple tons of water, then use the latent heat of fusion to cool your house, but this system would be enormous. I guess you could do something like liquefy air, and use the latent heat of vaporization for cooling, but that presents challenges as well.

B) have AC units with a massive amount of refrigerant, but all refrigerants are ozone depleting or greenhouse gasses to some degree, plus they tend to either explode, or dissociate into really nasty poo poo like phosgene or hydrofluoric acid gas in the presence of heat, so you don't want a lot of it in a home AC system.

C) use absorption cycle refrigeration, LiBr or NH3, but their maximum energy efficiency is only about 1/5 that of a conventional compression refrigeration plant.

Basically I don't think you're going to do better for AC than mass power storage, pumped hydro/batteries/flywheels etc, and modern high-efficiency compression cycle AC units.

Storing heat tends to be easier than storing coolth though, so it definitely has applications in heating, you could use a high pressure electric boiler to store quite a bit of heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat - if you have more stories/details about SCL, I'd love to hear them. I've been curious about the system, but there doesn't seem to be much detail on their website - I'm in the Green up program, but only get like a one sheet breakdown of the power source and no other details - and I'd also be curious about the structure/health of the distribution system if anything written about that exists.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Elviscat posted:

The stored energy model doesn't really work with AC, you would have to:

A) switch to a chilled water style system, which is less efficient than using direct heat transfer to refrigerant, also water's not that great at storing energy unless you have a phase change, so you could freeze a couple tons of water, then use the latent heat of fusion to cool your house, but this system would be enormous. I guess you could do something like liquefy air, and use the latent heat of vaporization for cooling, but that presents challenges as well.

B) have AC units with a massive amount of refrigerant, but all refrigerants are ozone depleting or greenhouse gasses to some degree, plus they tend to either explode, or dissociate into really nasty poo poo like phosgene or hydrofluoric acid gas in the presence of heat, so you don't want a lot of it in a home AC system.

C) use absorption cycle refrigeration, LiBr or NH3, but their maximum energy efficiency is only about 1/5 that of a conventional compression refrigeration plant.

Basically I don't think you're going to do better for AC than mass power storage, pumped hydro/batteries/flywheels etc, and modern high-efficiency compression cycle AC units.

Storing heat tends to be easier than storing coolth though, so it definitely has applications in heating, you could use a high pressure electric boiler to store quite a bit of heat.

Not to derail us too far, but my recent HVAC replacement research (for whatever it's worth) say B above is not completely true with the shift to R140a this year. What I saw was R410a does take more refrigerant at a higher pressure, but is not ozone depleting and minimally impacts the greenhouse without the heat risks you mention. To your point, there are certainly more efficient and environmentally friendly refrigerants out there for which B above is true.

But to the overall point I think you're making, you're going to be hard pressed to find anyone to do an install that meet the required specs. And an R410a system would be hard pressed to work in a stored energy model.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think it is true that increasing the effectiveness of your houses insulation/solar radiation control/thermal mass can smooth out power demand though? Might also reduce heat pump size requirements too

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

After seeing the comically low prices on Bolts, I'm actually considering one. I see several with DCFC, as well as Driver Confidence 1 and Comfort. How nice/necessary is Driver Confidence 2? My Volt doesn't have any of that lane keep or ACC or anything and I've heard its great.

My Volt has lane keep and to me, it's not consistent enough to feel confident in its abilities. I've had it try to pull me back on the lane when I swerved around a pothole, but I've also had it not do anything when I tested it by letting the car drift on an empty section of road. I still have to read the manual to figure out how to make the ACC, parking assist, forward collision warning, and other toys work. I really just got the Premier trim for the heated leather seats. Blind spot warning is good tho.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
most houses in the US are absurdly under-insulated

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

taqueso posted:

How many sticks of dynamite are equivalent to a powerwall?

I'm soooo tempted to change the thread title

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

QFT.

Also, regarding the "storing heat and/or compressed refrigerant", the cheap version of this when on tiered rates, is to set up your thermostat to run more (ie, a lower AC setpoint) when electricity is cheaper, then raising the setpoint higher than normal for the peak time so you can hopefully coast through without it turning on.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have had these installed for the past 10 years or so https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYS2KVQ. Water heater runs twice a day and we've never noticed lack of hot water, when I was single I only had it run once a day.

Are you on a tiered kwh rate
and running it off-peak?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Mine has literally zero! Going to enjoy it when I get my solar installation done and can crank up the A/C while watching the world through my single-paned windows.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You better before I do it. :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

I think it is true that increasing the effectiveness of your houses insulation/solar radiation control/thermal mass can smooth out power demand though? Might also reduce heat pump size requirements too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I feel like embracing personal solar and/or wind power is sort of like the same hurdles as being an early BEV adopter. You kind of have to buy into and adjust your lifestyle, but once you've done that it becomes incredibly worthwhile.
Like, ok I'm going to get solar panels. Well, might as well switch to high efficiency appliances, swap out all my bulbs for LEDs, insulate the place, install a high efficiency HVAC system, etc.
And people would be, drat that's hella expensive! It'll take decades to make that money back!
But that's not the point. Because now I've done all that, I can run my entire house off solar even on a cloudy day, and never pay a monthly utility bill ever again.
It's like a fuel hedge. You pay up front for future stability.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i grew up in a well insulated house with passive solar so i get the investment and lifestyle adjustment

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elmnt80 posted:

You better before I do it. :colbert:

And so be it :D

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

pointsofdata posted:

Oh yeah, more insulation is always better, it's like free electricity, plus you can run smaller more efficient HVAC units, which is even better.

Goober Peas posted:

Not to derail us too far, but my recent HVAC replacement research (for whatever it's worth) say B above is not completely true with the shift to R140a this year. What I saw was R410a does take more refrigerant at a higher pressure, but is not ozone depleting and minimally impacts the greenhouse without the heat risks you mention. To your point, there are certainly more efficient and environmentally friendly refrigerants out there for which B above is true.

But to the overall point I think you're making, you're going to be hard pressed to find anyone to do an install that meet the required specs. And an R410a system would be hard pressed to work in a stored energy model.

Yeah, I haven't read up on R410a as much as I should, it's a massive greenhouse contributor though, and a lot of companies are still trying to come up with a replacement, looks like some of them have given up, and think 410a is about as good as it gets.

I only work with R-134 and R-114 though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For all the bitching Americans do about building codes being the spawn of satan, there's a lot of lovely houses being built there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i grew up in a well insulated house with passive solar so i get the investment and lifestyle adjustment

It's not hard to build a house that can deal with both warm summers and cold winters - if you put an ounce of thought into how you build it. E.g. decent overhangs (lets the sun in the winter, blocks it in the summer), main living spaces with south-facing windows (on sunny days in winter, even when it's -15C out, we often don't have to get the wood stove going until 3-4pm in the afternoon). Though, having 8 inches of insulation in the walls and 12-15 inches in the attic sure helps :haw:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

taqueso posted:

How many sticks of dynamite are equivalent to a powerwall?

About 50 if my back of the google numbers are correct. :brrring:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wibla posted:

For all the bitching Americans do about building codes being the spawn of satan, there's a lot of lovely houses being built there.

It's not hard to build a house that can deal with both warm summers and cold winters - if you put an ounce of thought into how you build it. E.g. decent overhangs (lets the sun in the winter, blocks it in the summer), main living spaces with south-facing windows (on sunny days in winter, even when it's -15C out, we often don't have to get the wood stove going until 3-4pm in the afternoon). Though, having 8 inches of insulation in the walls and 12-15 inches in the attic sure helps :haw:

yeah my dad built in the 70s where he was layin in like big time R19 and R30 fiber poo poo and it was super expensive, but that poo poo works!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

meanwhile in non-Nikola future truck news, Mercedes released a concept this week of a long-haul hydrogen FCEV tractor. Customer trials by 2023, production by 2028 is the stated target.

it showed up as Mercedes-Benz but you'd have to imagine it'll be a worldwide product, so different body as a Freightliner.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's COE so I doubt it would come to the US as a freightliner. probably the powertrain, but on a very different platform

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's COE so I doubt it would come to the US as a freightliner. probably the powertrain, but on a very different platform

Remember, trucks like this are still on ladder chassis, so part of the early work is making sure the platforms match requirements. It’s not skateboards or unit bodies, so a bit easier to chop and change. But most of the cost is in the power train (which already is shared globally for Daimler Trucks in diesel), and designing the long-nose cab to go over that fuel cell isn’t the hardest part.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

angryrobots posted:

Are you on a tiered kwh rate
and running it off-peak?
Non-tiered, just running it around the time we take showers or start dishes/laundry. Last hours was tiered, ran it off-peak

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

FYI, Tesla is randomly offering EAP again for $4k. FSD on freeways, summon, autopark.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

:sickos: it's so beautiful.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 19, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Westy543 posted:

FYI, Tesla is randomly offering EAP again for $4k. FSD on freeways, summon, autopark.

Anyone who buys this is a colossal sucker

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Idk, it seems like the $4k option is for things it can do now and the $8k option is for the colossal sucker/true believer/robotaxi crowd.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Ford already going to task with the F one fift-E (seriously, don't mess this naming scheme up Ford)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8bzZy5iiI

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Dang twangy music! I want to hear what it sounds like, especially compared to my ancient F250 Navistar diesel.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Non-tiered, just running it around the time we take showers or start dishes/laundry. Last hours was tiered, ran it off-peak

This seems like a real good way to allow the water to spend lots of time at a temperature that encourages bacterial growth. Especially the water at the bottom....I wonder if your lower element ever gets switched on?

Your tank is designed to heat up to the setpoint and then store that heat pretty efficiently. IMO it would make more sense to lower the thermostat and not use a timer (I could understand not wanting it to run at peak times). DoE, EPA recommend 120⁰F assuming no one in the home is immunosuppressed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hexigrammus posted:

Dang twangy music! I want to hear what it sounds like, especially compared to my ancient F250 Navistar diesel.

It emits an IDI sound through a speaker, and has a refillable tank perfume tank for the smoke and odor.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Idk, it seems like the $4k option is for things it can do now and the $8k option is for the colossal sucker/true believer/robotaxi crowd.

Unfortunately only the $12k option includes not crashing into firetrucks

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powershift posted:

It emits an IDI sound through a speaker, and has a refillable tank perfume tank for the smoke and odor.

When sitting still with the brake pedal pressed, such as at a red light, actuators make the truck vibrate. There is an option in the "idle characteristics" menu for slightly rocking back and forth, using the cameras to prevent any low speed collisions.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If Battery Day is the tabless batteries what does that actually mean in practice? Looks to me like it's mostly lower manufacturing costs.. Am I missing something?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Westy543 posted:

Ford already going to task with the F one fift-E (seriously, don't mess this naming scheme up Ford)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8bzZy5iiI

whats one of these things gonna weigh? 8500 pounds? Gonna be awesome when it plows into a Corolla at a stoplight.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

If Battery Day is the tabless batteries what does that actually mean in practice? Looks to me like it's mostly lower manufacturing costs.. Am I missing something?

Tabless batteries will be more densely packed. Tesla may do what Lucid's doing right now by only having to cool the top and bottom parts of the batteries so that'll bring the weight down a bit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

milton out at nikola ahaha

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

e-Niro havers; how is the trunk space? My golf is "380 litres" and the Niro is "450 litres" but does that translate into useful space, i.e. the cables don't take up those 70 extra litres? My kids bikes are 14" and 16" and I can just about get one in the trunk of the golf and one over a folded seat and drive 3-up. I'd like it to be less lovely to get them in & out, however I will probably get a carrier and render this moot in a month.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I don't know anything about battery technology but maybe there is something in the works.

quote:

https://www.marketscreener.com/quot...ed-fr-31327012/

[bold]Mitsubishi Chemical:Has developed new electrolyte for Tesla. The solvents and solute are supplied from Shida Shenghua[/bold]

HONG KONG, Sept 20, 2020 - (ACN Newswire) - - A Mitsubishi Chemical (MTLHY) technical expert revealed that the important innovations of Tesla's new battery are the positive and negative electrodes and the new electrolyte. Mitsubishi Chemical has perfectly matched the electrolyte technology for the new battery. This electrolyte mainly uses new solutes and functional additives, which can greatly improve battery performance. The technical expert said that the solvent in the new electrolyte is still supplied by the Chinese company Shida Shenghua, and the amount of DMC in the solvent will be greatly increased. Beginning in 2017, Mitsubishi and Shida Shenghua have jointly developed a new type of solute. This product will soon be mass-produced, which can effectively increase battery cycle times and energy density.

quote:

https://www.marketscreener.com/quot...ed-fr-31327012/

HONG KONG, Sept 17, 2020 - (ACN Newswire) - - A Tesla battery expert said that a large amount of the solvent DMC dimethyl carbonate will be used in the electrolyte of the new battery produced by itself, and the addition ratio is as high as 70%, which is 6 times higher than before. At the same time, the new battery will use a variety of new electrolyte additives. The exclusive supplier of DMC and additives is a Chinese manufacturer named Shi Dashenghua.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I'd probably buy an F-150e but its going to end up being 80 grand due to TRUCK. Also hopefully Ford is dumping tons of money into their partnership with EA because the charging experience for a Tesla is hard to beat.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

I'd probably buy an F-150e but its going to end up being 80 grand due to TRUCK. Also hopefully Ford is dumping tons of money into their partnership with EA because the charging experience for a Tesla is hard to beat.

They better do contactless payment, just grab a cable and plug it in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seems kind of generous to call them a truck maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

Seems kind of generous to call them a truck maker.

they made A Truck technically i guess