Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ipa is machine thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

IPAs taste like poo poo, and they're only common because bad breweries can cover up cheap ingredients with potent flavors.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I think dune can be filmed with subtlety

When I watch season 3 of hannibal. When grahm talks to bedelia i think 'this is almost dune-like'

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
When he talks to anybody, season3, really

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Hannibal is just a human deathstill if you think about it

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I love Mads and a bunch of the actors on it but lol that show was a mess.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I disagree

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Inverted Icon posted:

I think dune can be filmed with subtlety

When I watch season 3 of hannibal. When grahm talks to bedelia i think 'this is almost dune-like'

Hannibal is some of the best network television I've ever seen. There will never be another network tv show that weird or risqué.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Hannibal is some of the best network television I've ever seen. There will never be another network tv show that weird or risqué.

Will is a little bitch in the show. There's no way he could fight Lecter like he did in the book. He'd be too busy doing that juddery stammer thing and blinking constantly as though he's hallucinating.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

phasmid posted:

Will is a little bitch in the show. There's no way he could fight Lecter like he did in the book. He'd be too busy doing that juddery stammer thing and blinking constantly as though he's hallucinating.

I know, it's great.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Remember the episode with the guy who's a furry or otherkin who identities as a extinct species of bear from the ice age, so he made himself hydraulic power armor out of bear bones that he wears to kill people?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bubblyblubber posted:

It's pronounced *impossible whistling sounds that make you want to kill muadhib* you goofs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvxwf1jxdaM&t=24s

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Joke Miriam posted:

Remember the episode with the guy who's a furry or otherkin who identities as a extinct species of bear from the ice age, so he made himself hydraulic power armor out of bear bones that he wears to kill people?

To my shame I actually liked that crazy poo poo episode. I was sitting there going "damnit kid, if you just used a metal cast of the bones instead of the actual organic matter! god, it's science! aren't you in this for science?"

I figured if there's anyone who can fool forensics it'll be someone in forensics but they are human too, I guess. :thunk:

Evergreen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

phasmid posted:

The Hannibal/Crawford fight ruled though

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

priznat posted:

The Hannibal/Crawford fight ruled though

gently caress yeah it did :hfive:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i like the rematch where Jack kicks Hannibal's rear end.

if mads was in Dune what character would he be?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

if mads was in Dune what character would he be?

Count Fenring. Just imagine the weird humming.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
He'd make a good Piter. If they made Children of Dune, he's about the right age and type to play The Preacher.

Fenring would also be an interesting choice.

uber_stoat posted:

Jack won the first time, really. It's just that Hannibal is good at playing possum. :D

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

phasmid posted:

He'd make a good Piter. If they made Children of Dune, he's about the right age and type to play The Preacher.

Fenring would also be an interesting choice.

Jack won the first time, really. It's just that Hannibal is good at playing possum. :D

I was going to say Piter as well, Mads is one of my totes heterosexual crushes :allears:

Fenrig, being a Sardaukar I expect him to be more physically imposing tbh but I can't remember how he was described in the novels (short and stocky?).

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Galewolf posted:

I was going to say Piter as well, Mads is one of my totes heterosexual crushes :allears:

Fenrig, being a Sardaukar I expect him to be more physically imposing tbh but I can't remember how he was described in the novels (short and stocky?).

Fenring's whole thing was he looked like a whole lot of nothing but he could kill you faster than you could blink.

quote:

a small man, weak-looking. The face was weaselish with overlarge dark eyes. There was gray at the temples. And his movements—he moved a hand or turned his head one way, then he spoke another way. It was difficult to follow.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

An older version of Tim Roth's character in Rob Roy is sort of how I imagine Fenring, except we never get to see him fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7lhMAOxLxw&t=59s

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

uber_stoat posted:

Fenring's whole thing was he looked like a whole lot of nothing but he could kill you faster than you could blink.

Yeah, you are correct I was misremembering. Such as shame that the he was advertised as a super-goku but doesn't do much? Didn't he refuse to fight Paul at the end as well? God, my memories are so fuzzy about Dune which can only mean one thing: A complete re-read time :getin:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Galewolf posted:

Yeah, you are correct I was misremembering. Such as shame that the he was advertised as a super-goku but doesn't do much? Didn't he refuse to fight Paul at the end as well? God, my memories are so fuzzy about Dune which can only mean one thing: A complete re-read time :getin:

He’s implied to be a failed branch of the Kwisatz Haderach program iirc, there’s a branch of time Paul sees where Fenrig kills him but he ultimately recognizes Paul’s legitimacy and does nothing.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Fenring, Paul and Leto are all creations of the B.G. and are thus very suspicious of their motives. I read it as Fenring telling the powers to kiss his rear end for using him like a tool. He doesn't even get mad when the Emperor clocks him (although he does remind his old friend gently that he could cut him in five before the first piece hit).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

phasmid posted:

If they made Children of Dune, he's about the right age and type to play The Preacher.

You mean...Paul?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You mean...Paul?

Yes.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I always imagined Fenrig as Prince Valium from spaceballs no lie

e: was also just thinking how chapterhouse has the same ending as the original run of arrested development

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Man, fat drunk orson welles would make a perfect worm emperor.

AaaaaaaAAhhh Duncan IDAHO, always celebraTED for his beefswELLINgs

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Bubblyblubber posted:

Man, fat drunk orson welles would make a perfect worm emperor.

AaaaaaaAAhhh Duncan IDAHO, always celebraTED for his beefswELLINgs

What's the point of AI deepfake stuff if it isn't to make things like this?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

You dare suggest we make a machine in the likeness of a human mind face/voice?!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A machine in the likeness of human Voice

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've said it before and I'll say it again, John Hodgman for Fenring.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The children of Dune book has a scene i can only relate as, the psychic fight scene in south park, but in the desert, and it's the funniest thing in Frank's ouvre

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So here's a thing: something that's always kind of bugged me is that I don't really buy the inevitable jump from "taking over Arrakis" to "galactic jihad". For the better part of two whole books Paul keeps going on about woe is me, there's no possible way to stop this jihad, nope, nothing I can do, fire up the death squads. But it does precious little to actually show why this is; we see Fremen fired up to overthrow the Harkonnens at the end of Dune in a way that makes Paul nervous, but all of the Fremen prophecy and mythology we see revolves around fighting off oppressors and making Arrakis a better place, not so much "and then when that's done go on and take over the galaxy". It's not implausible, certainly, but it definitely doesn't feel like it should be the only path.

Now, I realize that two major themes of the books are the trap of prescience, and how leaders are often shoehorned into a course of action due to larger forces beyond their control. In the case of Leto Sr. being coerced into giving up Caladan for Arrakis it makes a lot of sense, since he's just one player out of many and not the strongest. But Paul being king poo poo of the universe and just going along with it feels like a cop-out. And maybe that's the point, if Paul is just as much of a power hungry rear end in a top hat as everyone else and only blames "fate" as a way to appease his conscience, then that's perfect. I'm just wondering if there's something else there that I'm missing.

TL;DR the galactic jihad feels like a case of "we're doing it because it's in the script" (i.e. because Paul foresees it) rather than having any in-universe justification.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The collective unconscious did it. The empire senses its own stagnancy and unconsciously conspired to bring on the war. Paul’s assumption of the regency was calculated to start that war by making a political settlement which would provoke conflict between the imperial elite and the Fremen — even if Shaddam picks more or less comfy exile, the Landsraad can’t accept getting made redundant by a bunch of desert barbarians.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Paul felt trapped because he foresaw the stagnation and extinction of humanity if he stopped the jihad, but he pretty much stopped thinking about it there. The alternative was dealing with a bunch of pissed off super-soldiers who were necessary for consolidating his rule and having to become a gross worm guy for thousands of years to actually fix the future.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So here's a thing: something that's always kind of bugged me is that I don't really buy the inevitable jump from "taking over Arrakis" to "galactic jihad". For the better part of two whole books Paul keeps going on about woe is me, there's no possible way to stop this jihad, nope, nothing I can do, fire up the death squads. But it does precious little to actually show why this is; we see Fremen fired up to overthrow the Harkonnens at the end of Dune in a way that makes Paul nervous, but all of the Fremen prophecy and mythology we see revolves around fighting off oppressors and making Arrakis a better place, not so much "and then when that's done go on and take over the galaxy". It's not implausible, certainly, but it definitely doesn't feel like it should be the only path.

Now, I realize that two major themes of the books are the trap of prescience, and how leaders are often shoehorned into a course of action due to larger forces beyond their control. In the case of Leto Sr. being coerced into giving up Caladan for Arrakis it makes a lot of sense, since he's just one player out of many and not the strongest. But Paul being king poo poo of the universe and just going along with it feels like a cop-out. And maybe that's the point, if Paul is just as much of a power hungry rear end in a top hat as everyone else and only blames "fate" as a way to appease his conscience, then that's perfect. I'm just wondering if there's something else there that I'm missing.

TL;DR the galactic jihad feels like a case of "we're doing it because it's in the script" (i.e. because Paul foresees it) rather than having any in-universe justification.

Paul has a moment when he and Jessica are in the desert after the attack, he basically comprehends a few options to survive, one of the least bad of which is where he hijacks a prophecy towards jihad...

He was just trying to not die and he feels enslaved by his gifts lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm a victim of circumstance said the human computer/ninja/feudal heir

no dont, please, stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is the best dune video ever made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE