Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only thing i remember about s2 of danmachi is the entire 'im in love with a stripper' sideplot where there's a girl who works at a brothel whos a major character and there's a plotpoint made out of the protag having a surprised reaction at first but then learning to accept and respect her line of work, and then in literally the last 45 seconds someone goes 'also shes never had sex, she just cooks' and the protag goes 'oh'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

she went on about how she was impure and should just let the amazons that own her kill her in their ritual sacrifice thing, which you watch play out over the back half of that season. one of the secondary antagonists is a huge toad-like amazon who seems to only exist to be disgusting and threaten characters (mostly bell) sexually

just felt tedious and the season overall didn't have any of the strong production that helped elevate s1

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
For the iota of anything it's worth, I think the Ishtar girls only discussed among themselves that Haruhime never had sex (and are like "eh, why tell her?"), and Bell remains ignorant of the fact.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
S2 also had the Apollo family arc which was okay in LN form but felt flat in the adaptation. The quality of animation never really measured up to the first season either, so I’m not expecting much from season 3.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

They forgot there was a dungeon in S2

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Danmachi had one month of peak relevance with boob strings. Then Konosuba kicked its rear end.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/RanobeSugoi/status/1306118865965834240

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maybe it'll be easier to tell some of the characters apart with colored hair.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1305971161931698185?s=20

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I watched the first ep of god of hs and uh... does it keep being that? Cuz dang.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kater posted:

I watched the first ep of god of hs and uh... does it keep being that? Cuz dang.

In every possible way, yes. It is incredibly pretty and incredibly dumb.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In that way it's an extremely faithful adaptation of the comic.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I didn't read the webtoon but apparently they fit like 20 chapters in the last episode? Pretty wild

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

:aaaaa:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

kater posted:

For good and bad. The fights are cool and the animation is good, but the story honestly sucks. It’s super content to just keep throwing out questions upon questions for the main plot with no answer, and so the answers you do get for things are usually just small character bits about their past or some random thing that isn’t overly important.

It’s something that originally was high on my list of shows i’m watching this season but now I’d put squarely middling. Not bad, but not great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's unfortunately kind of inevitable when you're only adapting the first 15-20% of a story. Heck the entire truth of Park Mujin and Sang Manjin's past just got revealed a few weeks ago in the webcomic, 400 chapters past where the anime is.

Come to think of it Tower of God is still hasn't answered a ton of big questions raised in its first arc.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_7DeG0ORU
for darjeelings very special day!!! a very special new trailer!! teaser!!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What kind of answers do you want from what is as far as I can tell looney tunes mma?

I don’t mean like I’m sure it can get stale but I just watched god knows how many tedious episodes of alicization and I’m very excited for something that knows it is loving stupid.

kater fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 17, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kater posted:

What kind of answers do you want from what is as far as I can tell looney tunes mma?

The Looney Toons have significantly stronger, clearer, and more consistent personalities, motives, and conflicts than most of the GOHS cast. It's less like a Warner Bros cartoon and more like one of those context-free Greatest Fight Scenes of All Time AMVs, with all the downtime that exists mainly serving to make the whole thing dumber and more confusing (like with the female lead's first big spotlight episode having her almost become the teen bride of a celebrity cult lieutenant who wants to steal her ancestral sword, which he later gives to a shapeshifter so that said shapeshifter can face her in a high school MMA match/deity recruitment interview and beat the crap out of her while disguised as a Cho Aniki protagonist).

I mean, that arc does culminate with her discovering that she's the spiritual heir of Lu Bu Fenxian, so it's not all bad, but dear lord, there is such a thing as letting your characters breathe and develop before you throw all that on them.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 17, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

kater posted:

I don’t mean like I’m sure it can get stale but I just watched god knows how many tedious episodes of alicization and I’m very excited for something that knows it is loving stupid.

Then don’t raise a bunch of questions and centre it around a plot that is constantly prodding you like it matters but doesn’t? There’s a lot out there that when it knows it’s stupid makes sure the plot doesn’t get in the way of the action.

Someone at my work compared it to Tenjho Tenge and having recently researched it I get where he was coming from. However TT was smart enough to know to constantly move the plot along to make sure it’s working in favour of the fights.

Just to be clear, I don’t think GoHS is a bad show, it’s just completely mediocre when it brings up its plot and unfortunately it does it often. If it was just thing huge tournament arc with crazy fights I probably would have enjoyed it more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't forget that tenjo tenge got lost in an extended flashback for like a third of the manga and over half of the anime.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I just rewatched it, of course I didn’t forget. Yes it did a flashback, but it was still entertaining. I liked it. What sucks about Tenjho Tenge is where the manga ultimately ended up, I still hate where the story went to this day.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

God of High School feels like a webcomic where the author spends a lot of time on their own fan forums and thus has an inflated view of everyone's buy in to the character and settings. Like "oh I mentioned this one off thing in a lore thread, but did I remember to say it in the comic itself?" then just blowing on full steam ahead anyways. Which isn't an inherently bad thing, but means that it's big world adult fights and the tournament feel like they're entirely different shows that would each benefit from being separate.

Though some people are saying that it's compressing a lot of stuff, so that feeling could just be coincidence on my part.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Davincie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_7DeG0ORU
for darjeelings very special day!!! a very special new trailer!! teaser!!

:woop:

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Looks like they just announced an anime adaptation of the SAO Progressive novels, which is the author going back and rewriting the SAO arc

https://twitter.com/sao_anime/status/1307340085889699840?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Progressives not quite a rewrite, its more like various sidestories that take place during it. Since theres so many timeskips during the original sao arc it fills in those gaps.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Can we just have more SAO alternative please.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Can we just have more SAO alternative please.

Just more Sigsawa imo. SAO or otherwise

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like things sigsawa's written including sao alternative but i wouldn't really say he's especially better than kawahara

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the one hand, sigsawa is generally a more consistent writer. on the other hand, kawahara isnt a rightwing gunnut.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's funny to me that one of the defining differences between the 2003 kino's journey anime and the 2017 one is that the colosseum arc in the 2003 anime is largely focused on kino's relationship with the people they fight against and the growing tensions of it, and the 2017 one just has like a five minute scene of kino doing gun stuff and then they shoot the guy and it immediately ends

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

it's funny to me that one of the defining differences between the 2003 kino's journey anime and the 2017 one is that the colosseum arc in the 2003 anime is largely focused on kino's relationship with the people they fight against and the growing tensions of it, and the 2017 one just has like a five minute scene of kino doing gun stuff and then they shoot the guy and it immediately ends
Don't forget the finale of ramming CG sheep! :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah the kino novels are good but the 2003 anime made people think they're a lot smarter and more pensive than, they actually are. like kino is way less wandering philosopher trying to figure out her place in the world and way more cowboy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

on the one hand, sigsawa is generally a more consistent writer. on the other hand, kawahara isnt a rightwing gunnut.
Gun nerd yes, but I don't remember anything particularly right wing in the stories. Though I'm sure there's something you can drop on it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he's said weird stuff about korea. it's not super heavy in all his writing but the guy himself's said stuff that's at least mildly questionable

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ah that's too bad

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are the most far-right manga authors out there besides the mangakas for Highschool of the Dead and Gate?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well, the mangaka for high school of the dead is dead

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

What are the most far-right manga authors out there besides the mangakas for Highschool of the Dead and Gate?

The guy who does Schaferhund has to be up there in the rankings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Grouchio posted: