Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have any other authors spoken out about Dan Slott Continuity Cop? IIRC Brian Reed got pissed off because Slott screwed up a Ms Marvel (Carol) story arc he was working on by doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was Slott so high up in Marvel that he could constantly get away with stuff like that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Have any other authors spoken out about Dan Slott Continuity Cop? IIRC Brian Reed got pissed off because Slott screwed up a Ms Marvel (Carol) story arc he was working on by doing it.

Not just mad, supposedly nearly came to a physical altercation after Slott taunted him.

bessantj posted:

Was Slott so high up in Marvel that he could constantly get away with stuff like that?

Not really, he was just "fixing" things most people didn't care about.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How did he mess up the story arc?

Rhyno posted:

Not really, he was just "fixing" things most people didn't care about.

And what's his record on that like?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brian Reed gave us that terrible 'Puppet Master controls superheroines' story so it might have been a net gain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bessantj posted:

How did he mess up the story arc?

Someone else probably has it in greater detail but essentially Reed did a story arc with a dangling plot thread of an alternate universe Carol hanging around. Slott then wrote in one of his books that the alternate Carol went back to her home dimension. Which was a problem because Reed wasn't done with the character yet.

In a similar vein, wasn't John Byrne also bad about undoing stuff he didn't like? Something like he would retcon Doom stuff to be Doombots?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Have any other authors spoken out about Dan Slott Continuity Cop?

The industry is too incestuous at this point where nobody who isn't retired ever says anything bad about anyone because they're terrified of being blackballed.

Which definitely does not cause huge problems when a big name is outright abusive instead of just kind of a dick.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Which definitely does not cause huge problems when a big name is outright abusive instead of just kind of a dick.

No idea who you could be talking about.

And that's not a sarcastic remark indicating I know who you're talking about, because I don't.

It's a sincere remark because there's way too many possibilities.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In a similar vein, wasn't John Byrne also bad about undoing stuff he didn't like? Something like he would retcon Doom stuff to be Doombots?

And everything he did to the Vision. And his super lovely Doom Patrol run from the 00's. And what he did to Donna Troy and Etrigan while on Wonder Woman.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Someone else probably has it in greater detail but essentially Reed did a story arc with a dangling plot thread of an alternate universe Carol hanging around. Slott then wrote in one of his books that the alternate Carol went back to her home dimension. Which was a problem because Reed wasn't done with the character yet.

He also had She-Hulk go through like point by point how a She-Hulk miniseries clearly never happened because he didn't like a gag in it and also felt the writer didn't do enough research on Wyatt Wingfoot's tribe. Writers are constantly adding to or undoing other people's stuff, that's the nature of a shared universe, he was just more obviously and pointedly a dick about it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't know if that's entirely Byrne because I feel like 'it was a Doombot' has been an excuse for things before his FF run, but I could be wrong. I know it comes up later in some Avengers stuff. Basically if it doesn't make sense to be Doom, it's a Doombot.

Rhyno posted:

And everything he did to the Vision. And his super lovely Doom Patrol run from the 00's. And what he did to Donna Troy and Etrigan while on Wonder Woman.

I remember a goon saying that Byrne thought he was righting an injustice done to Roy Thomas and John Buscema's original vision (heh) when the people who gave Vision his emotions were... Thomas and Buscema. I don't even know what happened in his Doom Patrol but will assume it was 'turn them into standard superheroes' because I can't imagine Byrne having anything to do with Danny the Street or the Brotherhood of Dada or related.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 20, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

I don't know if that's entirely Byrne because I feel like 'it was a Doombot' has been an excuse for things before his FF run, but I could be wrong. I know it comes up later in some Avengers stuff. Basically if it doesn't make sense to be Doom, it's a Doombot.

I think the Doombot poo poo before Byrne was mostly resolved within the same story, not used as a retcon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I think the Doombot poo poo before Byrne was mostly resolved within the same story, not used as a retcon.

Possibly. I would not put it past Byrne to make every Doom story he didn't like not Doctor Doom.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I don't even know what happened in his Doom Patrol but will assume it was 'turn them into standard superheroes' because I can't imagine Byrne having anything to do with Danny the Street or the Brotherhood of Dada or related.

Byrne threw out everything that happened between the original DP run and his series. Yes, including Morrison's stuff. He also managed to gently caress up Titans continuity in the process by resetting Beast Boy/Changeling's history too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Byrne Doombotted a Chris Claremont X-Men story because he thought the real Doom wouldn’t let Arcade get away with striking a match against his mask.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Some writers were those kids who'd go "nuh uh you didn't hit me, I had a force field," when all you were playing was Cops & Robbers.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Did Squirrel still canonically get one over on Doom, or was that doombotted away?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

At this point she has multiple times now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Squirrel Girl was a refreshing contrast to Hickman literally deifying Doctor Doom.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Open Marriage Night posted:

Byrne Doombotted a Chris Claremont X-Men story because he thought the real Doom wouldn’t let Arcade get away with striking a match against his mask.

Oh, I remember that. Maybe the pettiest retcon ever?

I didn’t mind the She-Hulk juggernaut thing as a recurring gag, but doing an entire story just to retcon it was kinda embarrassing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish G-Mo had made more of a point to retcon every single thing Byrne did at DC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I wish G-Mo had made more of a point to retcon every single thing Byrne did at DC.

Hasn't everything been retconned a half dozen times in general since Byrne left DC?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Remember when Byrne was like gently caress all the runs after the first of doom patrol, even though the creator said the only person who got them was Morrison, and introduced in one of the worst stupidest jla storyline

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Remember when Byrne was like gently caress all the runs after the first of doom patrol, even though the creator said the only person who got them was Morrison, and introduced in one of the worst stupidest jla storyline

Yeah, Grant even sent him a copy of the letter stating as much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, Grant even sent him a copy of the letter stating as much.

I'm sure John Byrne took that completely in stride.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Byrne really seems to hate Grant. And Grant just enjoyed ribbing on him which made it so much better. I'm quietly hoping that Waid and Bendis will work together on something that flips Byrne the bird in some way.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What is probably the worst retcon of a character or event? Who is the worst "retconner", someone who constantly makes everything worse with their retconning?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

What is probably the worst retcon of a character or event? Who is the worst "retconner", someone who constantly makes everything worse with their retconning?

Everything that lead to Superboy Prime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna preface this by saying I don't know what lead to Superboy Prime.

But it's gotta be Spider-Man selling his marriage to the devil to save Aunt May.

Which was partially the result of another lovely retcon in bringing Aunt May back to life during the Clone Saga. Aunt May's death was easily the best single issue of that entire thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was the rise of Geoff Johns.

Edit: Byrne brought her back.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 23, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It was the rise of Geoff Johns.

Edit: Byrne brought her back.

I'm still going with mine.

And jesus gently caress, I didn't think I could hate Byrne more, but here we are.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Quick recap of that? Was he the one that punched reality?

Skwirl posted:

But it's gotta be Spider-Man selling his marriage to the devil to save Aunt May.

Which was partially the result of another lovely retcon in bringing Aunt May back to life during the Clone Saga. Aunt May's death was easily the best single issue of that entire thing.

Did they do that because an editor wanted Peter to be a single loser again?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Did they do that because an editor wanted Peter to be a single loser again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq1wzW3zhT0&ab_channel=JusstSomeMusic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Quick recap of that? Was he the one that punched reality?

Geoff Johns needed an ultimate bad guy for Infinite Crisis and for some reason he latched onto SBP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Xorn thing was extremely stupid. New X-Men introduces a new character named Xorn who joins the team and eventually reveals himself to be Magneto in disguise. He does some poo poo and Wolverine kills him. Like a month later a different X series says Xorn wasn't Magneto he was actually a guy named Xorn who just thought he was Magneto and also he has a twin brother also named Xorn who is a good guy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I thought I heard that somewhere before.

Rhyno posted:

Geoff Johns needed an ultimate bad guy for Infinite Crisis and for some reason he latched onto SBP.

Oh well, fair enough.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There was the bizarre Illuminati comic that 'revealed' that the Beyonder was actually just a mutant inhuman (?!), that made so little sense even on its own terms that I don't think anyone even bothered referencing it again to retcon it away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

There was the bizarre Illuminati comic that 'revealed' that the Beyonder was actually just a mutant inhuman (?!), that made so little sense even on its own terms that I don't think anyone even bothered referencing it again to retcon it away.

Bendis was doing his 'eh, whatever' thing that he likes to do but later Hickman retconned the Inhuman Beyonder into a construct and the 'real' Beyonder was actually a juvenile of the Beyonders. (Bendis also made him a mutant Inhuman.)

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Byrne's claimed he had an out to put all the toys in the box again after his Vision hard reboot and Scarlet Witch is totally crazy with invented ghost babies story but either quit or got run off West Coast Avengers before he did it, and those stories are based on the idea that the writer Byrne took over from was wrong and also the writer who took over for him was wrong, so just real petty in a couple directions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Some nice shade thrown at Steve Englehart and Roy and Dann Thomas respectively.