Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

Human rights only apply to humans. :colbert:

:bahgawd: "now these fuckin cape-backs comin in from Planet gently caress or Dimension poo poo, fuckin up our schools and jobs. It ain't natural!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FilthyImp posted:

:bahgawd: "now these fuckin cape-backs comin in from Planet gently caress or Dimension poo poo, fuckin up our schools and jobs. It ain't natural!"

Have you seen Code 8? This is basically the premise.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Do the more modern versions of Superman's origin story have to make a big deal of the Kents having to get him a social security number?

He's just another anchorbaby that they gotta deport into space.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do the more modern versions of Superman's origin story have to make a big deal of the Kents having to get him a social security number?

You aren't required to get a kid an SS number until they're 5.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know at least one take on the story has the Kent's pass him off as being theirs because an unusually powerful winter(indirectly caused by Krypton debris that followed Clark's ship) kept Smallville snowed in long enough that they were able to claim that Martha had just gone through most of the pregnancy and given birth during it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That poo poo was generally more believable back in the early 1900s where paperwork was made of actually paper.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

That poo poo was generally more believable back in the early 1900s where paperwork was made of actually paper.
Yep. No one knew quite how old my Paternal Grandmother was because she was born in a tiny-rear end town and the doc didn't really write a birth certificate or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched Batman: Assault on Arkham, and it’s bad in a drab, boring way. Is that what comics are like now? It’s at this weird kids’ level of sophistication but with gore and curse words, and bad jokes, like a kid would think is cool but that marks it as unsuitable for kids. It’s confusing to just have established comic characters showing up because it leaves the setting and the histories of the characters unclear. Is this the same setting as those other animated dc movies that were out around that time? Does the Flash exist here? Has Batman met Amanda Waller before?

I was disappointed to hear Kevin Conroy and CCH Pounder in this because the material is so far below them—I don’t know why the people making this would want to remind anyone of a good Batman cartoon that way.

Also Batman is the antagonist and there’s only one scene from his point of view, so he shouldn’t get the title. Was this originally supposed to be some Suicide Squad marketing synergy that rethought after that one bombed?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just watched Batman: Assault on Arkham, and it’s bad in a drab, boring way. Is that what comics are like now? It’s at this weird kids’ level of sophistication but with gore and curse words, and bad jokes, like a kid would think is cool but that marks it as unsuitable for kids. It’s confusing to just have established comic characters showing up because it leaves the setting and the histories of the characters unclear. Is this the same setting as those other animated dc movies that were out around that time? Does the Flash exist here? Has Batman met Amanda Waller before?

I was disappointed to hear Kevin Conroy and CCH Pounder in this because the material is so far below them—I don’t know why the people making this would want to remind anyone of a good Batman cartoon that way.

Also Batman is the antagonist and there’s only one scene from his point of view, so he shouldn’t get the title. Was this originally supposed to be some Suicide Squad marketing synergy that rethought after that one bombed?

So a few things

1. I don't think an animated movie from 2014 is a good representation of "what comics are like now" which is in and of itself a pretty broad question. Yes there are comics like that but, I mean, it's definitely not a blanket statement on all of them

2. It predates David Ayers' Suicide Squad by two years. It was actually, for some reason, meant as a tie-in for the game Arkham Knight. So it's set in the Arkham game universe but also doesn't do a super great job of portraying that if you didn't know going in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

So a few things

1. I don't think an animated movie from 2014 is a good representation of "what comics are like now" which is in and of itself a pretty broad question. Yes there are comics like that but, I mean, it's definitely not a blanket statement on all of them

2. It predates David Ayers' Suicide Squad by two years. It was actually, for some reason, meant as a tie-in for the game Arkham Knight. So it's set in the Arkham game universe but also doesn't do a super great job of portraying that if you didn't know going in.

Sorry—by “now” I guess I meant a much broader span of time, like 10-20 years? I had no clue it had anything to do with the video games.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is that what comics are like now? It’s at this weird kids’ level of sophistication but with gore and curse words, and bad jokes, like a kid would think is cool but that marks it as unsuitable for kids.

Not entirely, but there's definitely a vein of this. A lot of big sellers (especially for DC, but Marvel has it with Deadpool to an extent) are the titles that aren't very sophisticated, are packed with rote quips, stock plots and simple dialogue, but make allusions to being mature through being dark, violent or superficially transgressive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

Not entirely, but there's definitely a vein of this. A lot of big sellers (especially for DC, but Marvel has it with Deadpool to an extent) are the titles that aren't very sophisticated, are packed with rote quips, stock plots and simple dialogue, but make allusions to being mature through being dark, violent or superficially transgressive.

I don't think that's even a good description of most of the Deadpool that's been published in the last decade.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, that's probably unfair to Deadpool. Honestly, I was mostly trying to throw a bone to DC, where there are way more releases in this vein.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I guess the closer Marvel equivalent is like...issues of Cable where he's just Gun Man Shoot Guys Make Hard Choices? Some of the bad runs on Punisher?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I guess the closer Marvel equivalent is like...issues of Cable where he's just Gun Man Shoot Guys Make Hard Choices? Some of the bad runs on Punisher?

They've definitely had books like that, I just have a hard time thinking of specific ones since I avoid those at all cost.

Probably the run of Uncanny X-Men immediately before the relaunch would fit well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What's your opinion on Super Hero Girls? I decided to give it a chance and I really enjoy it. The main characters are all kind of caricatures, but they gel really well together. And some of the deep well of side characters can really mix up the dynamic quite well.
I am not the biggest DC fan, but I like most interpretation of characters in that particular universe. The comedic timing and exaggerated facial expressions are well done too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly Super Hero Girls has my favorite incarnation of Supergirl in that it gives Kara an actual personality. That said personality is 'good-hearted thug with a penchant for rock music' is a feature.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly Super Hero Girls has my favorite incarnation of Supergirl in that it gives Kara an actual personality. That said personality is 'good-hearted thug with a penchant for rock music' is a feature.

I love how she absolutely despises her goodie two shoes cousin, who everyone else is sooo infatuated with.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I really enjoyed the first few minis when it launched I should get back into that

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Yeah, there are tonnes of good nods to DC continuity, funny bits and having the teen boy band du jour being called "Up Past 8" is great.

...Having the Himbo male heroes impersonate them to help save the day is even better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only thing that bothers me about Superhero Girls is that Bumblebee's the shy character when Jessica Cruz's whole comic backstory is that she is literally agoraphobic so she's a very awkward fit for a Green Lantern. I get that shrinking is a good visual shorthand though, I see why they did it, but it still irks me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

The only thing that bothers me about Superhero Girls is that Bumblebee's the shy character when Jessica Cruz's whole comic backstory is that she is literally agoraphobic so she's a very awkward fit for a Green Lantern. I get that shrinking is a good visual shorthand though, I see why they did it, but it still irks me.

I'm guessing they did it mostly to differentiate Bumblebee from prior animated versions of her

Well that and Lauren Faust clearly doing some copy pasting of archetypes from Pastel Talking Horse Show

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Android Blues posted:

Cable is a teenager drawn by Phil Noto now. It’s a real fun book. Cyclops has a cheesesteak.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I'm guessing they did it mostly to differentiate Bumblebee from prior animated versions of her

Well that and Lauren Faust clearly doing some copy pasting of archetypes from Pastel Talking Horse Show

Yeah, though they obviously divert a bit, it's kinda weird how well you can map each of the characters to one of those horses.

Honestly, I don't really know a lot about Jessica Cruz (or any of the Lanterns, really) from the comics, but this version of her character feels better then what you're describing. Outright agoraphobia doesn't really lend itself well to a fast paced comedy show. At least not without mocking people who are afflicted. Her character on this show is especially great if she drops her gentle demeanor and gets to play the exhausted straight person who has to put up with all of that bullshit.
Is she also a pacifist in the comics? I do like that. At least it means that she wont just continuously use her glow-ring to cast fist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Cable is a teenager drawn by Phil Noto now. It’s a real fun book. Cyclops has a cheesesteak.

He never got to take a bite.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The ongoing subplot of Cable is Cyclops Adventures with Food.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, I don't really know a lot about Jessica Cruz (or any of the Lanterns, really) from the comics, but this version of her character feels better then what you're describing. Outright agoraphobia doesn't really lend itself well to a fast paced comedy show. At least not without mocking people who are afflicted. Her character on this show is especially great if she drops her gentle demeanor and gets to play the exhausted straight person who has to put up with all of that bullshit.
Is she also a pacifist in the comics? I do like that. At least it means that she wont just continuously use her glow-ring to cast fist.

It works pretty well in the comics. The agoraphobia stems from PTSD and essentially her ability to overcome fear* is being able to step outside and function. It was also pretty good in the odd JLA vs. Fatal Five movie where she's voiced by Doom Patrol's Diane Guerrero.

*By which I mean cour- willpower.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It works pretty well in the comics. The agoraphobia stems from PTSD and essentially her ability to overcome fear* is being able to step outside and function. It was also pretty good in the odd JLA vs. Fatal Five movie where she's voiced by Doom Patrol's Diane Guerrero.

*By which I mean cour- willpower.

Yeah, but none of that is written for children.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, though they obviously divert a bit, it's kinda weird how well you can map each of the characters to one of those horses.

Oh yeah I don't mean she should be agoraphobic in the show, I'm just saying that if anyone was suited to be Fluttershy the shy archetype, it'd be her.

And to answer your question no, she's not a pacifist in the comics, except for the usual comic "doesn't want to hurt anybody unless it's necessary" that a lot of heroes do

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Oh yeah I don't mean she should be agoraphobic in the show, I'm just saying that if anyone was suited to be Fluttershy the shy archetype, it'd be her.

And to answer your question no, she's not a pacifist in the comics, except for the usual comic "doesn't want to hurt anybody unless it's necessary" that a lot of heroes do

Doesn't she carry a gun in the comic?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Skwirl posted:

That's Simon Baz. He was introduced a little bit before Jessica.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

That's Reed Richards.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also Jessica initially wasn't a Green Lantern, at first she used the ring of Earth 3's Power Ring which fed off her fear instead of willpower

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vandar posted:

That's Simon Baz. He was introduced a little bit before Jessica.

Also, FWIW, the gun came in handy when, as happens every other day in Green Lantern comics, the rings were corrupted and having an extra weapon came in handy.
Then Simon had a heart to heart with Batman and gave up the gun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Space Fish posted:

Also, FWIW, the gun came in handy when, as happens every other day in Green Lantern comics, the rings were corrupted and having an extra weapon came in handy.

Batman sucks so hard.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Then his ring broke a little later on and it's like loving thanks Bruce

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest it's pretty hard for me to imagine a situation where Green Lantern's ring is completely worthless but a handgun is going to save the day. I'm not saying they don't exist but "I need it for backup" really assumes Earth Bullets are going to do poo poo against 90% of what GLs are dealing with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest it's pretty hard for me to imagine a situation where Green Lantern's ring is completely worthless but a handgun is going to save the day. I'm not saying they don't exist but "I need it for backup" really assumes Earth Bullets are going to do poo poo against 90% of what GLs are dealing with.

Imagine trying to double-tap Dex-Starr.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think early on in the run where he became Green Lantern, the ring kept conking out on him and not working when he needed it to, hence the gun "for backup"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Other than the rings themselves is there a weapon that spans the DC universe? Like Thanagarian tech or something.